• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
Reminds me of England vs France game. Question is, does Germany have a plank like Heskey / Gerrard to hand Holland a victory?

Prine

Banned
Holland playing like a bunch of ametures. No cohesion what so ever, they're all individual players. I cant see no team work . Germany are going to win 2-0

Hooker

Yeah, I think so too. I'm sitting here in disbelieve what a bunch of FUCKING WANKERS we have playing in this team at the moment.

I've been very careful in saying that the Dutch will ebat the Germans because I was afraid something like this would happen. I can't understand it though. Bah, I'm disgusted with this =...

WTF, thyey scored and I'm typing this shit

Solid

1-1... pretty expected. van Hoijdonk was very good. They should let him start next match. Without the goal van Nistelroy was pretty invisible.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Very lucky Holland, you sucked. I didn't think they'd have a problem against Germany, and while Germany weren't at all bad, Holland were just so...oh I don't know, but you need Bergkamp back. Having seen a similarly bad game against the Irish, Holland are well off my list of teams who could win.

Right, seen all the teams once now and at this rate, France are going to win this at a canter. The next games will be really telling though, you can never tell who just had a one off really bad game.

Hooker

The draw is a good ending to it. Germany played very solid but they didn't close the deal when they had the chance. Instead they let the Netherlands come into their game and it had result.

And yes, we played lousy as hell. I'll be the first one to admit it. We got to see a littlebit of the attacking play in the last 15 minutes. I just hope they will be able to do that for the whole game the next time as it's the only way we know how to play

B E N K E

If you have players like Makaay and Kluivert in the squad and you're down 1-0 you have to play them. Not becuase they're necessarilly better than van Hooijdonk (I don't think they are), but because it will create a lot of unrest. Not to mention Davids. I wouldn't be surprised if we will see players leaving/getting kicked out of the Dutch squad later on. But he chose the wrong players to start with Zenden is a vastly overrated player and van der Vaart I'm sorry to say was nowhere for most of the match. Overmars was a positive injection, but van der Meyde was horrible until he created the goal.

Hooker

They should play like this, this will win you games!

------------------- Van de Sar -------------------
--- Heitinga --- Stam -- Cocu - Bronkhorst ---
---- Sneijder ------- Seedorf ------- Davids ---
--- Van der Meyde - Makaay ----- Robben ---

Seedorf as a #10, Van der Meyde can be substituted for Overmars. Traditional 4-3-3, teams hate to play against this!

Falch

Christ, this was the worst game of Euro 2004. :( The Netherlands played well only for the last 15 minutes. No cohesion whatsoever. Only improvement after the break was Sneijder for that idiot Davids. Germans should have finished us off. Only after we changed Heitinga (defender) for Van Hooijdonk did we start to dominate. One can only wonder why we started with 4 defenders when the Germans only had one striker in the first place.

Nice goal though by Van Nistelrooy.

Next game against Czech Rep. on saturday. They played an awful game against Letvia, so there is still hope. We should start with the same squad that finished this game (Sneijder on midfield, Van Hooijdonk together with Van Nistelrooy) with one exception: Robben on the left! For the love of god and heaven, let him play. Overmars is too slow these days.

EDIT: Oh and Seedorf on midfield, and get Van Der Vaart out of there plzkthxbye!

Van der Meyde wasn't good, but Overmars was perhaps the worst player of the whole squad.

Van Der Sar
Heitinga Bouma Stam Van Bronckhorst
Sneijder Seedorf Cocu
Van Der Meyde Van Nistelrooy Robben

If Czech Rep. decides to play with only one striker, exchange Bouma for an extra striker: Van Hooijdonk.

Falch

Oh come on, did you watch the game? Letvia dominated at certain points, and even if it didn't Czech Rep. didn't put any real pressure.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Latvia never dominated. Not for one part of the game. They played well, much better than I could have expected, and got some good attacks going, especially down the wings, but the Czechs were the better team and deserved the win. Lots and lots of chances, their finishing was very suspect.

Certainly they'd have beaten Holland on tonight's performance. Hell, Latvia might have...just kidding.

Hooker

Let's look at it from the bright side. If we play poorly like this, but still get 1 point. What will happen when we actually do play good!

(Holland lost it's first game in '88 as well)

(Holland lost it's first game in '88 as well)[/QUOTE]

Yes we did but These current players aren't even in the same league as those GODLY players back then.

Thise team is a joke, I'm so pissed

Falch

Oh yeah, I'm not proud of the Dutch performance, but I think you're giving to much credit to the Czechs. We played them in qualifying, and there performance against Letvia can't even stand in the shadow of those games. They wasted a lot of chances. Proborski was pretty good, but Nedved was nowhere to be found. As a result, the Czechs couldn't reach their strikers.

norinrad21 said:
He had some of the best players sitting on the bench, Advocaat is an idiot

I agree. Sneijder and Robben should have been there from the start. Also, we should have played with a 3 man defense, instead of 4, and use that extra man on the midfield.

Playing against Latvia is one thing, playing Holland is something different, the Czechs will raise their game. They didn't even play badly against Latvia, they had around 30 shots and it was a very professional performance. Not once did they loose their heads, they continued to play their game instead of resorting to a hit and hope game, something that Holland didn't quite do tonight.

The Dutch tend to panic when under pressure. I remember the WC qualifier in Dublin, you lot had 6 strikers on the pitch at the end. The last 20 minutes everything was hoofed into our box and a little bit of that desperation crept into your game tonight. Germany really controlled the game for long periods but again another team gets punished for dropping too deep. Time and time again it happens but teams still do it, it boggles the mind.

Falch

Well, the Czechs will have to raise their game, as will the Dutch. Both dissappointed me tremendously tonight. Still, the Czechs played a very sloppy game, and wasted way to many opportunities, opportunities that they will not get when they play versus better teams. I could not have called it a professional performance even if I wanted to.

I agree with you on that Holland does tend to play panicfootball when they're behind. I still think the problem lies at the midfield. That's why it's important to have Seedorf back, and Sneijder in the starting squad.

Maybe you can give me an answer Falch, but is it true that the Dutch players picked the team? I heard that 4 senior players got together and decided that they'd go with wingers, which went against Advocat's plans. Basically the players are in charge, any truth in that?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20040615/od_uk_nm/oukoe_soccer_euro_malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A Malaysian salesman has complained to the main ethnic Chinese political party after his wife confiscated the TV remote control and satellite card for watching Sunday night's England-France Euro 2004 soccer match. The 46-year-old man, identifying himself only as Yap, said his partner had told him to go to bed early so that he could take their two children to school on Monday.

"She refused to allow me to watch the game although I promised not to oversleep or shun my responsibility of sending the children to school," Yap was quoted as saying by the English-language Star newspaper.

Yap sneaked out of bed at about 2.20 a.m. (7:20 p.m. British time) to watch the game but his shout of anguish at French captain Zinedine Zidane's injury-time penalty winner some two hours later woke up his wife. She grabbed the remote control and cuffed him over the head with it before banning him from watching any more matches in the Euro 2004 championship.

"My wife just doesn't understand my passion for football," Yap complained.

Falch

Chibbi Brady said:
Maybe you can give me an answer Falch, but is it true that the Dutch players picked the team? I heard that 4 senior players got together and decided that they'd go with wingers, which went against Advocat's plans. Basically the players are in charge, any truth in that?

It is true that there was a get-together with four players (F de Boer, Van Nistelrooy, Davids and Cocu if I'm not mistaken) but Advocaat had called that meeting. He's also the one that decided right after the lost match against the Irish (some 10 days ago) that he would abandon the 4-4-2 formation that he had been experimenting with, and go back to 4-3-3. That's all that we officially know.

There hasn't been any talk in Dutch media about players deciding what to do. Advocaat is still in charge, although it's impossible to tell how much power individual players hold in the decision making process. I wouldn't say they have any more influence than players from other squads though.

Trevelyon

bishoptl said:
"My wife just doesn't understand my passion for football," Yap complained.

Heh.. poor old Yap, can never get a break.

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Dutch/German, great goal from Van Nistelrooy, and Van Hoijdonk was really fired up and playing well. I thought we'd have a repeat turn around performance from the other night, but it wasn't to be.

Decent game. Despite not playing flashy football, the germans are made for this kind of tournament. It's going to be really tough to knock them out for anyone.

Holland on the other hand, has so much to give, but as others already said, they need to make some changes to the system. Ruud needs more help up front.

Anyway, Ruud's goal is easily the best of the Euro so far. Lovely finish, from a very uncomfortable shooting angle.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Anyway, Ruud's goal is easily the best of the Euro so far. Lovely finish, from a very uncomfortable shooting angle.

Nah, I prefer Henrik Larsson's first goal. So cool, so skilled, so perfect. Excellent cross towards the box by Erik Edman too.

I may be a bit biased though. ;)

Falch

Czech Rep. played this formation today, right (?):
58837.gif

If so, I propose this radical formation to counter their 2 strikers, still have an extra defender, and deal with their upcoming wing midfielders:

--------------Van Der Sar-------------------
-------------------Stam----------------------
-----------Heitinga-----Bouma--------------
---Reiziger-----------------Van Bronckhorst
-----------------------------------------------
------------Sneijder----Cocu----------------
Van Der Meyde---------------------Robben
----------------Van Nistelrooy---------------

If needed, you could put Cocu at Bouma's position, and put Seedorf at Cocu's place.

In this formation, you can have Heitinga and Bouma watch the Czech strikers, with Stam providing cover. Reiziger and Van Bronckhorst can cover the upcoming midfielders, while also being able to play offensively (both of them can do that very well). That way, you can reach your wingplayers Van der Meyde and Robben. Sneijder/ Cocu can control the central midfield, with Sneijder being a bit more on the offensive side, and Cocu controlling the midfield.

"A Malaysian salesman has complained to the main ethnic Chinese political party after his wife confiscated the TV remote control"

um... huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom