• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

cja

From the four or five camera angles I'd say the keeper didn't touch the ball! If he did it was the slightest of accidental touches and shouldn't have been sent off. Officials always fix it for the hosts to go through, watch out Spain!

segasonic

russia.jpg

segasonic

Mama Smurf said:
Why are there so many empty seats at a Portugal game? That's pretty embarrassing.
Apparently the Russian football association bought all of those tickets hoping they could sell them to Russian fans. But they could only sell a fraction of the tickets they got...

segasonic said:
Apparently the Russian football association bought all of those tickets hoping they could sell them to Russian fans. But they could only sell a fraction of the tickets they got...

LOL

cuccoo

coz they are down to 10-men with 1 goal behind and only 20 minutes or so left. could be the first team to exit.

Solid

Hah nice picture! :D

And Ronaldo owned again, despite the poor 15 minutes he got. Nice assist on the 2-0 goal too. I hope he starts against Spain. He's easily better then Simao imo.

MrPing1000 said:
err no

Greece 4
Spain 4
Portugal 3
Russia 0

Yes yes yes but come sunday it will be like this

Greece 7 [IF they beat the Russians and thats a big IF]
Portugal 6
Spain 4
Russia 0 [3 if they beat Greece]

norinrad21 said:
Yes yes yes but come sunday it will be like this

Greece 7 [IF they beat the Russians and thats a big IF]
Portugal 6
Spain 4
Russia 0 [3 if they beat Greece]

why are u presuming portugal will beat Spain?

Fifty

Spain has played much better than Portugal. To presume that Portugal will win and say that Spain is "out" is insane.

cja

Even with the win Portugal are in a precarious position, just like the WC. Spain were very impressive against Greece in patches despite getting sucker punched.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Does anyone know if there's a site that shows the Euro 2004 matches live over internet?

I'm in desperate need, since I'll only have access to radio at work during Italy vs Sweden. I could tape it, but I'm afraid people would tell me the result at work anyway. :(

Solid

Kiriku: Have you checked euro2004.com?

Hmm, tomorrow it's England-Switzerland and Croatia-France. That should be interesting :)

My bet:

ENG-SUI 2-0
CRO-FRA 0-3

I hope France beats the shit out of Croatia. Their first match against Switzerland bored me to death. I almost feel asleep :(

euro.JPG

I hope Group C ends that way :D

cuccoo

dont bother with internet broadcast. I've tried a bunch and they will just get overloaded, so severely that you will literally see slideshow. and if someone post a good link here, it will be overloaded when the match starts. borrow a portable tv or something.

Fifty

Half the cars on my street were full of screaming Portugal fans waving flags...Cars honking....people running around like they were crazy...I can only imagine what will happen if Portugal beats a real contending team. Until the last few minutes Russia had a good chance to tie, that's nothing to brag about. But I guess they'll take anything. A few of the (sane) guys I played with tonight admitted that this is nothing, and that Spain is the real test, but most people were just happy for their team to be alive. It's like living in mini-Lisbon here :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Breaking News!!!

3 Match ban for Totti for the spitting incident o_O

Italy may as well start packing now :p

Freeburn.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
shibbs said:
And that totti is a fucktard, should have banned him from the tourney.

A 3 match ban *is* banning him from the tourney :p

*runs*

Freeburn.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
SVT.se is the site of the national tv stations in Sweden. I don't remember Zidane puking tho'. Maybe he just had a huge amount of saliva he needed to get rid of?

Hooker

It's happened to players before.

I remember Carsten Jancker in the Bayern Final in the Champions League. He gave it all in that final, and as a result of exhaustion when he was subbed he puked the whole place over.

You know your one of the best players in the world when u can vomit and then score a penalty. Maybe it was a tactic to put James off

Totti banned three matches for spitting
Thu 17 June, 2004 12:53

By Simon Evans

LISBON (Reuters) - Italy forward Francesco Totti, one of the biggest names at Euro 2004, has been banned for three matches for spitting at Denmark's Christian Poulsen.

European soccer's governing body (UEFA) ruled on Thursday that Totti had been guilty of "gross unsporting conduct" after viewing video evidence from the Group C game in Guimaraes on Monday which ended 0-0.

"We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour," said UEFA spokesman William Gaillard. "We did not tolerate it in the past and we will not tolerate it in the future."

Totti, looking serious, left the building without comment after a hearing lasting more than three hours in a Lisbon hotel.

The ban means Totti will miss the remaining two Group C games against Sweden and Bulgaria, and the quarter-finals if Italy get that far. It is a serious blow for the Azzurri who were among the pre-tournament favourites.

The Danish Football Association (DBU) made an official complaint to UEFA following the release of images showing the Italy forward clearly spitting in the face of Poulsen.

"Prosecutors" at the hearing had asked for a four-match suspension. Totti's lawyers wanted a one- or two-match ban.

Italian news agency Ansa quoted the lawyers as saying they were partially satisfied by the ruling which "leaves open the door to a decision on an appeal after seeing the reasons behind the sentence".

Giovanni Trapattoni has built his team around the Roma captain, allowing him a free role, and the coach must now swiftly restructure his side for the game against the in-form Swedes in Porto on Friday.

MAJOR BLOW

The incident is also a major blow to the image of Italian football which had hoped to put their bitter exit from the World Cup two years ago well behind them.

The Italians were knocked out in the second round of the World Cup to co-hosts South Korea in a controversial golden goal defeat in which Totti was sent off for diving.

Then Totti was seen as the innocent victim of Ecuadorian referee Byron Moreno whose alleged bias towards the Koreans was seen as part of a plot to keep Korea in the competition, according to many Italians.

But this time there has been little sympathy anywhere for Totti whose status in Italian football is comparable with that enjoyed by David Beckham in England or Ronaldo in Brazil.

The official Italian team brochure produced for Euro 2004 describes Totti as "a symbol of Italian football worldwide" and the forward has several lucrative sponsorship deals.

The Totti case recalls an ugly incident at the 1990 World Cup when Dutchman Frank Rijkaard spat at German Rudi Voeller during a match in Milan. Both players were suspended, though Voeller returned to help his team win the tournament.

In the most recent similar case in European competition, Lazio's Serbian defender Sinisa Mihajlovic was banned for eight games after spitting at Chelsea striker Adrian Mutu in a Champions League match in November.

France playmaker Zinedine Zidane was suspended for two matches at the 1998 World Cup for stamping on an opponent, like Voeller returning to the team and going on to win the title.

In the 1994 World Cup, Italy's Mauro Tassotti was banned for eight matches for elbowing Spain's Luis Enrique.

The referee did not see the incident and Tassotti was charged on video evidence. His ban effectively ended his international career.

OWNED........hahahahaha

COCKLES

being watched
Prine said:
Its almost time

3-0 to England :D

Come ON!

Indeed. Time for the Swiss to go back to what their good at. Swiss Rolls and hosting dodgy bank accounts. NOTHING CAN STOP THE ENGLAND VS FRANCE GRUDGE MATCH FINAL AND IMMINANT CRUSHING 7-0 VICTORY OVER THOSE POMPUS FRENCH HENS!

Er...or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom