• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Larsson's goal is definitely the goal of the tournament so far and I expect it to get replayed constantly for the rest of the tournament. It's more the image of the goal, rather than the sheer skill it took.

GO SWEDEN!!

Sweden is so taking this tourney
Eh, before they made it 2-0, Belarus made it look very competitive. The game against Italy will define their chances.

Fifty

I play soccer every wednesday and friday....Almost every one of the guys I play with is Portuguese. Needless to say, if Greece wins tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to see (of those who even show up) a lot of very angry and depressed men.

Socreges

Banned
Midas said:
....Bulgaria? Whatever, they're all the same.
I play soccer every wednesday and friday....Almost every one of the guys I play with is Portuguese. Needless to say, if Greece wins tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to see (of those who even show up) a lot of very angry and depressed men.
Hah. I play every tuesday (just got home, actually) with a dozen guys and half of them are Italian. The first thing I said when I showed up was 'So how about those Italians!?' and they all glared at me. Haha.

Tonights Group A second match predictions:

Greece 1 - Spain 2 -- Greece on high after their first win in a major tournament and could surprise again; but Spain to break their hearts and claim the clincher in the dying minutes

Portugal 2 - Russia 0 -- anything but a win tonight could spell a disastrous end to the hosts Euro campaign unless they can then triumph over Spain, their final Group match, but must also rely on other results going their way

Solid

0-2 to Spain
1-2 to Russia

I hope I'm wrong about Russia though, I want Portugal to make it through the group.

Volt

I think Spain is cautious of Greece after their win against Portugal, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll know how to stop them from trying the same thing again. They'll basically need to lock down Basinas and Vryzas in midfield ,and they have a decent chance of controlling the game. I do believe Spain will win this one convincingly :

Greece (0) - (3) Spain ('17 Raul, '43 Vicente, '77 Valéron)

Portugal needs to win this game in order to stand a chance of qualifying, but that pressure might break them. Russia isn't a very strong side this year though, and the troubles with Mostovoi being sent home might cause a lack of confidence. Russia needs an early goal if they want to stand a chance. Rather unpredictable this one, both sides really need this win, which also causes the effect that neither will allow a loss. I think this may wel end up being a draw .. Why isn't Russia using Izmailov btw ? He's their biggest talent, why isn't he playing, anyone have a clue on that ?

Russia (Sychev '56) (1) - (1) Portugal (Simao '11)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Greece beat spain to qualify, spain didnt look so hot against russia to me.

Greece 1 : 0 Spain

Portugal 2 : 0 Russia

Volt

Socreges said:
...you just guessed the minutes.

*leaves thread*

:D
Yeah well, I'm just adding the goalscorers and minutes so that, if two people have guessed the same outcome, we could find out which one is closest to the reality. Please don't leave the thread for that, I'll stop doing it ;-)

Falch

Portugal 2 - 3 Russia - Both teams need a win, so they will go all out. Russia will take the most risk, and win.

Spain 1 - 1 Greece - Both teams want to win, but neither one will create much opportunies. Draw is good enough for both.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Greece are going to find themselves down to < 11 players soon.

I can't see an upset happening here, the pressure is far, far too great, it's only a matter of time before Morientes scores

Prine

Banned
ourumov said:
The goal has been very nice...with a rear past of Raul to Morientes...Very nice. MUST SEE.

yep, link up between the two was wonderful. Spain are tearing up the Greeks atm, great football

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Just heard about his during the 1/2 time talk:

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=530822&section=news
UEFA has charged Totti, vital to the chances of Giovanni Trapattoni's side, with "gross unsporting conduct" following a complaint from the Danish Football Association (DBU).

Totti's fate will be determined at a UEFA disciplinary committee hearing on Thursday.

If found guilty the Roman could be forced to sit out several matches and if UEFA takes a hard line could even be banned for the rest of the competition.

Send him home!

Freeburn.

segasonic

totti1.jpg
totti2.jpg

totti3.jpg
totti4.jpg

Disgusting.

Reminds me of this:

fussball_wm90_history_rijkaard_voeller.jpg

ourumov

Yep...at first I thought it was Vieri...Then I read the previous topic and was surprised it was Totti...Well both have their respective "historials"...

Volt

ourumov said:
Totti has a lot of temper ;)...
I didn't know this about Frank Ridjkard...Our beloved coach...

Are you serious ?? After that incident (he actually did it twice, to Völler on both occasions), he even got the nickname "the Lama" :D I'm not joking here..

ourumov

It would be nice if Torres scored and he made Raul sit down for the next match. Joaquin is a very good player. You should see him on the spanish league...awesome. What a pitty Betis sucks ;) .

Volt

I don't think Spain'll make the crucial goal today. All will be decided in the Iberian duel Spain - Portugal in a couple of days... unless Portugal loses tonight, of course.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I've just been working out the ramifications of this if the game finishes as a draw, and I've realised that it'll mean Portugal will HAVE to beat Spain to qualify (in addition to beating Russia). If it stays the same way and Portugal win tonight, the teams will go into their last games with Greece and Spain on 4 points, Portugal on 3. If Portugal draw, Spain and Creece will go through, irrespective of the Greece-Russia game. That's because Spain will have 5 points, Portugal will have 4 and so will Greece at the least. But Greece beat Portugal in their game, so they have the advantage in that situation.

It would also be great for England of course, as I reckon it'd make Greece favourite to top the group. So if england came second, we'd get Greece instead of Spain.

Please draw, please draw, please draw....

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
YEEEEESSS!

Exactly what I wanted.

Very, very difficult for Portugal to qualify now. They have to win both games, one of which is Spain, and hope Greece lose to Russia. They'll be lucky. I don't like home nations going out too early...but I love it when they're good and potential England opponents next round.

Forsete

Totti should be forced to eat his own sausage.

I really really hope Zlatan stabs him with his nose.
Friday, boyeah!

Midas

Haha.

I'm really looking forward to swedens next game. I'm really glad they'll show it at the Hultsfred Festival. :)

7 members of the portugal team play in portugal, 6 of them for porto (also a port player on the russian team)

The Russians are knackard its too warm for them most of them play in Russia

red card for russian keeper

silly man put his hand on the ball when he didnt need to (although im not so sure now

ohh and person pitch invading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom