• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Mama Smurf said:
Why couldn't they have played Desailly against England? :mad:

He was injured. There was a big controversy about him because most media think he is too old now. After playing perfectly until now he was gonna owned the media but now he is the one who is gonna get OWNED.

calder

Shit shit shit I wanted to go home and watch without knowing the scores but I'm weak so I had to click on this thread. Ah well, at least now I know the Eng-Sui game was dull so I can just ffwd to the goals. ;)

Heh if this game is so exciting maybe I'll stop checking the score online and catch the replay tonight on TV instead. Maybe France will let Croatia get another one just to see if Zidane can get 3 goals in injury time. :p

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
*Phew*

Go France (Never would I have tought...)

Freeburn.

Hooker

That was a handball, that shouldn't have been a goal :/

And again France score by sheer luck :mad:

(100 posts in this thread woohoo)

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Croatia is getting robbed like the English
mad.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hooker said:
That was a handball, that shouldn't have been a goal :/

And again France score by sheer luck :mad:

(100 posts in this thread woohoo)

Nah, it can't be handball unless intentional. The ball was blasted at him from a foot away and his hand never moved, it wasn't delibrate.

Hooker

Mama Smurf said:
Nah, it can't be handball unless intentional. The ball was blasted at him from a foot away and his hand never moved, it wasn't delibrate.
I know, I just don't want France to get a point(s) :(

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Mama Smurf said:

yeah but since the ball would have flown pretty far if his hand wasn't there it help him way too much.

FRANCE MUST LOSE

Hooker

Not really, the players almost dive more than Italy. Desailly and Viera I can't stand. And they robbed our trophy in '98 and 2000 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Solid

Santini is a turd. Why the hell won't he let Rothen play? He owned in Champions League this year. He can easily take a place in the France line-up.

Falch

Nice game. France was getting owned. :)

I'd like to see Switzerland and Croatia go through in their group. It's certainly not impossible. :D

Mama Smurf

I need that Architect "Please" pick for the Croatia will knock out England.

Just 'cos France fucked up. All we need is a draw.

So since I'm terrible at figuring out the standings with the way the tournament is set up and how many points are awarded, which two teams will MOST LIKELY make it out of England's bracket?

Mike Works said:
So since I'm terrible at figuring out the standings with the way the tournament is set up and how many points are awarded, which two teams will MOST LIKELY make it out of England's bracket?

Croatia and France.

I can easily say that with a straight face. England won't beat Croatia nor would it end up in a draw.

Charles

France - 4
England - 3
Croatia - 2
Switzerland - 1

Now, the next games are England - Croatia and France - Switzerland.

Let's assume that France will get at least a draw from their game (probable). With that result France would definitly qualify and Switzerland would be eliminated. All then would hinge on the England game. Naturally who wins of the two will qualify, but England would go through with a draw.

So in essence: Croatia and Switzerland need to win, France and England can settle for a draw.

So it all comes down to the England Croatia game then (assuming France wins or ties, which is looks like they will)? Thanks.

What does it look like for Italy's bracket?

Mama Smurf

Wait until tomorrow's games to find out about Italy, they've only played one each.

England are favourites to go through with France. I'm not discounting the possibility of Croatia going through, but when you only need a draw the chances have to be with you. Unless you're a wildly worst team, which not even Norinrad could argue England are.

cja

France and England. I worked this out and then found it on the BBC website, honest. :)

Group B situation explained

With one round of matches remaining in Group B no team has qualified or been eliminated from quarter-final contention.

Croatia need a win against England to be certain of progressing to the quarter-finals. Anything less than a victory will mean elimination for Otto Baric's men.

England need only a draw from their final group match against Croatia to clinch a quarter-final berth.

Should a three way tie unfold with France, England and Switzerland all on four points, England will have a superior goal difference (+2) over France (now +1 but to decrease after projected defeat against Switzerland).

If England and Croatia draw, Switzerland need to beat France by at least three goals to advance. If England win or lose, a victory by any margin will do for the Swiss.

France need only a draw against Switzerland to reach the quarter-finals.

Group A situation explained

If Greece avoid defeat against Russia, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.

If Spain avoid defeat against Portugal, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.

Portugal must beat Spain to reach the quarter-finals.

Russia have already been eliminated.

If Spain lose against Portugal, they can only reach the quarter-finals if Russia beat Greece by a greater margin than Spain lose to Portugal OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.

If Greece lose to Russia, they will only be eliminated if Portugal beat Spain by a smaller margin than Greece lose to Russia OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.

Hooker

I wonder what Italy is going to do without Totti.

The whole team is built around him. Maybe Trap will finally get that head of his out of his arse and put Pirlo in there

France's luck is ridiculous high, against italy in the euro 2000 final, against last game with england and now against croatia *uck them, heck ill even support italy if it ends up going with france to the final as long france doesnt win ill be happy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think Sweden will face tough competition in Italy. Yes, Totti is gone, but that doesn't mean it's going to be much easier. One of the Swedish coaches actually said that he thinks it may be HARDER with Totti gone, since Italy's strategy is more unpredictable now.
Also, Italy got many great players, and they could just replace Totti with another player.

A draw seems likely...but it depends on what kind of style Sweden will play. Will they have the guts to go on the offense, just like in the Bulgaria game? Probably not, I'm guessing defense, defense, defense and then counterattack. Or long balls towards the forwards.

GO SWEDEN!

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

A Sweden victory would be sweet...then I can piss off everyone at work :)

(I work in a very, very Italian area)

Mama Smurf

cja said:
France and England. I worked this out and then found it on the BBC website, honest. :)

Group B situation explained

With one round of matches remaining in Group B no team has qualified or been eliminated from quarter-final contention.

Croatia need a win against England to be certain of progressing to the quarter-finals. Anything less than a victory will mean elimination for Otto Baric's men.

England need only a draw from their final group match against Croatia to clinch a quarter-final berth.

Should a three way tie unfold with France, England and Switzerland all on four points, England will have a superior goal difference (+2) over France (now +1 but to decrease after projected defeat against Switzerland).

If England and Croatia draw, Switzerland need to beat France by at least three goals to advance. If England win or lose, a victory by any margin will do for the Swiss.

France need only a draw against Switzerland to reach the quarter-finals.

Group A situation explained

If Greece avoid defeat against Russia, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.

If Spain avoid defeat against Portugal, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.

Portugal must beat Spain to reach the quarter-finals.

Russia have already been eliminated.

If Spain lose against Portugal, they can only reach the quarter-finals if Russia beat Greece by a greater margin than Spain lose to Portugal OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.

If Greece lose to Russia, they will only be eliminated if Portugal beat Spain by a smaller margin than Greece lose to Russia OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.

I'm pretty damn certain it doesn't work like that. I think goal difference only comes into effect if the two teams equal on points drew their match. Otherwise it's whoever won that match that goes through.

Therefore Greece have already qualified.

BigJonsson said:
GO SWEDEN!

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

A Sweden victory would be sweet...then I can piss off everyone at work :)

(I work in a very, very Italian area)
A Maple Leafs fan who hates Italy, and yet you wouldn't even break the top 5 arch enemies I have on this board.

Mike Works said:
A Maple Leafs fan who hates Italy, and yet you wouldn't even break the top 5 arch enemies I have on this board.

ROFL

I only wish Mats Sundin, Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg could play soccer lol

Prine

Banned
No fucking way will Croatia beat England. We're not too fussed, all we need is a draw and we're through.

No problem. France today played like shit, just like England. though one can say conditions were poor, very very hot to play decent footy. I think it was fairly evident both teams were tired after 20 minutes.

So, France and England will be going through group B. Easy. I'll bet my account on it. You hear me Mike? Ban me if England fail to make it through the group stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom