• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka

Neo Member
England seem to have the knack of scoring against the run of play.

The Swiss can look at Hakin Jakin for that goal. That was a terrible freekick way to much pace to control and placed his team in a weak position.

Forsete

Good work Shrek!

shrek.gif

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Not playing anywhere near as well as I hoped we would, although it picked up a little in the last 10-15 minutes of the half.

Little cohesion, a lack of communication and scrappy play.

The kind of game we tend to win ;)

Freeburn.

Alucard

Banned
The Swiss definitely deserved a better fate in that first half. I thought that they really took the play to England, especially in the first 20 minutes. But it does only take one touch to turn the momentum around, and England did just that. It will be interesting to see how both teams come out at the start of the second half.

COCKLES

being watched
Freeburn said:
Not playing anywhere near as well as I hoped we would, although it picked up a little in the last 10-15 minutes of the half.

Little cohesion, a lack of communication and scrappy play.

The kind of game we tend to win ;)

Freeburn.

God we're dreadful. A victory it is then! :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, that was harsh.

Not gonna moan about it though :D

I pray Rooney stays out of trouble before the potential Red to balance things, well, it's something we've seen before many times :p

Freeburn.

Apparently the ref is banned in Russia for dodgy descisions. So why the hell is he in euro2004? Haas should still be on the pitch :(

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The floodgates have opened. (And it aint gazzas tears :D)

Whaaaaahahaha :D :D :D

3-0 :)

Freeburn

COCKLES

being watched
According to commentator, it's in our intrests for the French to win tonight. Then we only need a Croatia draw when we play em.

COME ON YOU BLUES. FRANCE! FRANCE (fucking cunts) FRANCE!

:(

Alucard

Banned
That was a pretty unconvincing 3-0 victory. Aside from the last 15 minutes of the game, where the Swiss just looked tired, England was on their heels quite a bit. This is not a team that can win this tournament right now. Beckham was invisible during the match and the second goal was a bit of a fluke. Still, a win is a win I guess.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Alucard said:
That was a pretty unconvincing 3-0 victory. Aside from the last 15 minutes of the game, where the Swiss just looked tired, England was on their heels quite a bit. This is not a team that can win this tournament right now. Beckham was invisible during the match and the second goal was a bit of a fluke. Still, a win is a win I guess.

As much as it pains me, I can only agree :(

Freeburn.

Most pathetic display since our own Dutch team last Tuesday.

England was pathetic.

I think Michael Owens days are numbered in the national team though.........LOL

Solid

Sleepy game, but it's England so why am I not surprised? :p Nice goals though, especially Rooneys second.

Soon it's time for the God Zidane to show some master skills. Wee, viva le Bleu. I reckon Henry will be steel hot this evening. Pires too.

I hope England and France make it through this group. Both Croatia and Switzerland have nothing I want to see in the quarter final.

Trevelyon

Good game, England weren't entirely convincing throughout the game, but in the last 20 minutes they just ran the Swiss defence ragged. Rooney was spectacular.. I was pissed they subbed him for Vassel at the end, Stelle was fairly unlucky, some really sloppy Swiss defence & Ronney's second was a load of arse.

cja

England were woeful but then it was very hot, as a spectacle these earlier kick-offs are poor. Doubt England'll perform like that against Croatia, if they do it'll be goodbye king Rooney, Rooney, Rooney!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Phew. Was that 3 shots and three goals? Before we scored the third I mean, we had a few shots afterwards.

Was not great, but we took our chances. And we always play worst against the smaller teams (and they play better against us, big themselves up for the big teams). I'm not sure Switzerland had an effort on goal though did they? Some scary crosses, but never actually made good contact with them.

Come on France, don't let us down.

cja said:
England were woeful but then it was very hot, as a spectacle these earlier kick-offs are poor.

Agreed. All the early games have been scrappy affairs so far. The Croatia game is also an early kick-off :(

You can't write off any team based on how they play in 35°C heat.

Bloody hell that was one of the worst games so far. It has to be said that England are one of the poorest footballing sides in the tournament. Very little imagination going forward, apart from Rooney who has been terrific. Hopefully the French game will be a lot better.

Trevelyon

Chibbi Brady said:
Bloody hell that was one of the worst games so far. It has to be said that England are one of the poorest footballing sides in the tournament. Very little imagination going forward, apart from Rooney who has been terrific.

ENGLAND NEED THE DYNAMIC FLAIR THAT ONLY JOHNNY WILKINSON CAN PROVIDE!

Poster_11010.jpg

COCKLES

being watched
Funny thing is, Swiss caused us more problems then France did. Certainly they had more close moments. Apart from the gifts we gave them all I can remember France threatning England with was a limp wristed speculative shot from Zidane. Will be intresting to see what they do against Crotia...

Mama Smurf

Chibbi Brady said:
Bloody hell that was one of the worst games so far. It has to be said that England are one of the poorest footballing sides in the tournament. Very little imagination going forward, apart from Rooney who has been terrific. Hopefully the French game will be a lot better.

Pretty harsh given the performances of Holland, Croatia, Switzerland, Italy, Russia...

Mama Smurf

You can see it was going wide from behind the goal view (not that it was a shot so it doesn't matter), and it was Tudor who touched it, no matter what the scoreboard says.

Hooker

Nope, look at the replay. If it wasn't touched it would have gone wide. The behind the goal view makes this clear.

EDIT: The goal is now registered as an own goal by Tudor

cuccoo

halftime. damn this game is exiciting, unlike the borefest swi v eng.

it would've be a sweet goal if gallas scored. croatia is still doing good too. They sloly gain more possession. 2nd half should be good.

Mama Smurf

Are you French? The games your own team are in are always surprising. I don't think it's overly good, though incredibly easy for France. I found the England game more exciting, but duh, I'm English, but I imagine the France game is better from a neutral's point of view. Not great though.

Mama Smurf

And you think this game is really good? Huh, weird. And you think Croatia are doing good? How much room are they giving the French? They're making it soooo easy for them.

Pity to see Totti out huh? I wish Del Piero had spat instead...

cuccoo

Del Piero is good. I dont see why people hate him so much.

This game is good because the pacing is just right. Yes, its one sided for most of the time, but Croatia is holding well and created some chances too. Its not that bad given the record that they've lost 14 games in a row against France.

Mama Smurf

cuccoo said:
Del Piero is good. I dont see why people hate him so much.

I probably only get to see him play maybe 5 times a season and then at major championships, but I haven't seen him play well since he scored that early goal against Man Utd years ago.

That was kind of a harsh penalty. Maybe the game will liven up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom