• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
What the frick, TSN! They don't air the Czech/Germany game until 6:00 pm...
Mike Works said:
While Sweden was putting on some nice pressure in the second half, and while the goal the Swedes scored WAS really pretty, it was also really fucking lucky. No matter how pretty it looked, he nicked the ball with the side of his foot, while in midair, facing backwards, and it just happened to fall perfectly under the bar.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a lot of skill just to get a shot like that off, but that was a lucky goal.
Yes, what an accurate depiction of bitter Italians! ;)

Hooker

I'm not home today so I'll start early this time!

GO HOLLAND!! 3-1

Sneijder, Makaay, Makaay (boh assisted by Seedorf)
Poborsky (p)

Fowler

It was an extraordinary goal by Ibrahimovic. Lucky, yeah, but all goals have an element of luck in them.

What annoyed me was that Trap plainly didn't learn his lesson. I mean, we THOUGHT he did after 2002 when he realised that you can't sit on a 1-0 forever lest a lucky bounce or a simply amazing finish goes against you, but once he took off Del Piero and Cassano you knew what he was thinking. And like I said, though Italy have the best defence in the tournament, you can't sit on a 1-0 forever because it only takes a couple of seconds to score a goal, and it happened right there.

It's especially disappointing because they carved the Swedes apart, and aside from 10 minutes or so near the end Sweden offered nothing going forward. Ibrahimovic and Larsson were well shackled, and only Ljungberg looked dangerous. But again, that's what happens when you sit on a 1-0, and if the freaking South Koreans could do it the far more talented Swedes are more than capable of the same thing.

And the Dutch seriously need to get their act together. They were a joke against the Germans. I thought it'd be an open tournament and I thought the favourites (France, Italy, Holland, Portugal etc) had weaknesses to exploit but I'm amazed by how poorly they're all playing. The French could easily have lost their first two games!

Alucard

Banned
*thanks the heavens that I have satellite and Fox Sports World Canada*

They should be showing the game at the time it's scheduled. Let's go Germany!

cja

Anyone else slightly peeved the games are being broadcast in 4:3? The BBC and ITV who are covering the games here in the UK have 16:9 cameras at the matches but can't use them for live broadcasts, they have to take the Portugese feeds. Borders down the side of the screen is a bane especially when they later show Zidane being sick or the French huddle after they go 2-1 down to Croatia in glorious widescreen. You can always stretch the screen but its hardly the same.

Alucard

Banned
After the first half...

0-0, with Latvia giving Germany a couple of scares. Damn those guys can run fast and their counterattack is pretty good too. Germany also had a few decent chances but nothing really fantastic. They can do better than this. They also had a couple of flurries but nothing to show for it. Germany hasn't been a very high scoring team for a while now. This game will surely end up either 1-0, 0-0, or 1-1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a more threatening German offense.

Put in spoiler tags for those who actually want to watch the game later.

Alucard

Banned
Germany has no finish. They had a string of chances in the second half but just couldn't put them away. I wouldn't count them out just yet...if they can just find that last touch then they can be a dangerous team. As of right now though, they don't look like a contender. You have to give credit to the Latvian defense too though. They shut down the Germans on quite a few occassions. Today's other match is pretty useless if you're a German fan...no matter who wins, as long as Germany beats the Czechs, they're in.

Alucard

Banned
As a complete half, that was the most entertaining soccer I've seen all tournament. There were goals, there were saves, there were posts, there was controversy, and the end of the half had me wanting more of the same in the second. Yeah, the second Dutch goal was probably offside, but I think it neutralized the obvious penalty kick that they should have had when the Czech player literally wrestled the Dutch player down to the ground with his arms firmly around the waist. Give me more! This Dutch team looks VERY dangerous right now. They just need to watch the offsides since they always seem very eager to get on the offensive.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Awesome shot from Nedved.

If Robben and Seedorf don't start the next match, the manager must be smoking a little too much of that famous Dutch legal substance.

Falch

Advocaat is the worlds greatest moron. The moment Bosvelt was substituted for Robben, everything went wrong.

:(

Now Germany must not win from the Czechs, and the Netherlands must win from Latvia.

Alucard

Banned
What a crazy game. The ref was absolutely HORRIBLE though...a ton of missed calls, and then making calls where there was only diving. The Czechs really impressed me in this match, especially Nedved. Holland now needs to beat Latvia and hope for a Czech win against Germany to get in. However, with the Czechs already in the second round now, you have to wonder if they'll play their best guys against the Germans.

Solid

Hahaha... talk about give away 3 points for free. Why the hell did he take out Robben??! Idiot! And they don't deserve to win when they stop playing fotball in the second half. I'm glad Holland lost, the same goes to Germany with their tie today. Czech and Latvia all the way!

Falch

Idd, that referee was by far the worst I have seen all tournament.

Btw, Germany needs to win from Czech Rep. (assuming the Dutch win from Letvia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom