• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prine

Banned
COCKLES said:
Czech mate!

Absinth will flow freely in Eastern Europe tonight.

lol

best match of the tournament!

Liverpool beat Holland

Bye Bye Dutch!!!!!

lda01p1.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Deepthroat said:
Hahaha... talk about give away 3 points for free. Why the hell did he take out Robben??! Idiot! And they don't deserve to win when they stop playing fotball in the second half. I'm glad Holland lost, the same goes to Germany with their tie today. Czech and Latvia all the way!

Robben was looking dog tired if you watched him closely. I wasn't crazy about the substitution either, but there was only so much he could do and it seemed like he was running on empty. That said, LET'S GO GERMANY AND LET'S GO CZECHS. If the Dutch don't get in, then I'd prefer Latvia so we can get more camera shots of that one cute Latvian chick in the crowd with the dreds.

cja

Best shooting, best saves, best game of the tourny! To be fair to every other team in the tournament also the game that took place in the coolest conditions.

Sorry Dutchies but you're going home. Germany will be playing Czech reserves and get through undeservedly yet again, always happens that way. :(

I want our coach hanged. seriously i want him hanged

Paul f**king Bosveld, and old man comes in to replace one of the best players on the pitch

COCKLES

being watched
cja said:
Best shooting, best saves, best game of the tourny! To be fair to every other team in the tournament also the game that took place in the coolest conditions.

Sorry Dutchies but you're going home. Germany will be playing Czech reserves and get through undeservedly yet again, always happens that way. :(

As the Germans stumble and lurch towards the final before winning Euro 2004 in a penalty shoot-out. :(

COCKLES said:
As the Germans stumble and lurch towards the final before winning Euro 2004 in a penalty shoot-out. :(

Its been confirmed, Nedved won't be playing against the Germans.

There goes any chance we had left.

Sigh Germans will be going to the quarter finals :(

SFA_AOK

Excellent game, shame about the ref but everything else was just insane.

And Cockles - we'll see the French in the finals and go out on penalties to them :p

Hooker

OMG, I'm SOOOO pissed right now. Words can't explain my feelings at this moment. Only that we didn't deserve to lose :/

The substitution, the missed chances, the again so-wrong-at-so-many-points referee (this game and Italy, why is he still in Portugal, someone hire an assassin to kill this motherfucker! And Colina was on the side :eek:!!!!!)

Bah!

Hooker

Fucked up man, die lul wou gewoon "behoudend" spelen ofzo. Zoals Cruijff zei is dat wanneer je Robben weghaalt, je het respect en angst weghaalt. Domme kleine verschrompelde kut idioot!

Van der Mayde had je weg moeten halen, die kreeg wel 3 echt kansen en verspeelde nog meer mogelijkheden op kansen door voor eigen succes proberen te gaan. Dit zuigt echt man! :/

And about the offside of Van Nistelrooy, it wasn't offside. That's one of the new rules the UEFA made for this tourny. When you do not participate in the game at that point, they can't call you offside. When the ball was played to Robben, Van Nistelrooy wasn't doing anything, so it wasn't offside!

Fowler

Game of the tournament by far. Both teams played really well, even if the Dutch committed the Italian Mistake by bringing off their best player (what, a minute after he threatened the Czech backline and delivered a dangerous cross, showing that he may be tired but he's still damned effective) and sitting on a one-goal lead. Except uh, you're not the Italians and can't defend like them. And the Czechs are great going forward. Baros finished off a great little move (he's been involved in all five goals the Czechs have scored!), Nedved hit the bar and was dangerous all throughout, and Heinz has made a crucial difference for the second game in a row.

What a game. Had absolutely everything, even an extremely dodgy ref (who gave the Dutch a crap goal, and then tried to make up for it by sending one of them off -- er, doesn't work that way, mate).

Fowler

That rule is seriously open to interpretation though -- a lot of the time I've seen refs flag Van Nistelrooy as offside there, because he's used his offside position (while "inactive") to gain an advantage when he becomes active again. It's a clearly ludicrous situation. I can see where the rule is meant to work, but a lot of referees simply don't accept it in this situation. And neither do I, really.

COCKLES

being watched
SFA_AOK said:
Excellent game, shame about the ref but everything else was just insane.

And Cockles - we'll see the French in the finals and go out on penalties to them :p

French have been one of the most unimpressive sides of the tournament IMHO. All four goals they've scored have been because of disaster mistakes from other side. In the England game for 90 mins the Footballer of the year and runner up could only manage 1 feeble long range shot.

Then again, apart from the final - the they were awful in France 98. Scraping through with a couple of penalty shoot-outs to the final before they beat a sub-standard Brazil.

If England make it through to the next round and to the semis, I don't think we'll be meeting France.

Fowler

The French could so easily have lost both their games -- England we know all about, but Croatia were one awful Mornar miss away from beating France. And then Trezeguet's goal also had an awful handball element to it.

Wow, most enjoyable game I've seen in ages. Being neutral has it's advantages. I don't think I'd have coped too well if I was from any of the countries, multiple heart attacks would have been suffered.

The Van Nistelrooy goal is a very dodgy call. He is obviously trying to gain an advantage, therefore he should be called offside when the ball is played to him. I know FIFA have tried to clear this rule up but to be honest it only confuses more. There was a few weeks in the Premiership season where is was all anyone talked about, Van Nistelrooy and Henry scored very similar goals and I remember one was allowed and one was ruled offside.

I don't see Germany beating the Czechs, even with a second string team they'll be too much for the Germans. Against Latvia today they were lucky not to loose, two blantant Latvian penalties were turned down in another poor refereeing display. It's going to be a very tough last game for the Dutch, Latvia have proved that they are no mugs and a win might even send the little guys through. :)

B E N K E

I think it's better for Holland that Czech Rep plays their reserves. They'll be motivated to try and impress the manager. Nedved, Koller, Poborsky and the rest wouldn't give a damn anyway. And Germany played really, really badly against Latvia. Czech Rep reserves are a better team than Latvia on paper so it's still open. Holland should have replaced Robben with Overmars and kept the same formation. The red card was horrific, barely any contact. Nedved is the most blatant actor in top football today. It's a shame because he is a wonderful player.

An instant classic, an all-time best. It's been many, many years since I've seen such a quality match. Both teams were on fire and IMO neither deserved to lose. I wished they would've tied, because their efforts were admirable.

Nedved and Robben blew my mind. The rest of the players weren't far behind. There was just too much going on to talk about it right now. I still haven't finish soaking it all in. It was a thing of beauty and the reason why this is the greatest sport in the world.

Socreges

Banned
I'm just watching the Netherlands/Czech repeat. TERRIBLE officiating. The guy needs testicles. He's just going with the less contentious calls, rather than the RIGHT ones.

Fifty

What a match. I'm glad I'm not a Netherlands fan :( Not that I'm a Czech fan, but that's got to hurt. Sorry. Van Der Sar was the MOTM in my opinion. Brilliant match. Just pure quality all the way through.

Socreges

Banned
Holy shit what a game

A damn shame the ref put such a damper on what was otherwise a great game, but then maybe the Czechs wouldn't have come back! Really, that second yellow was bullshit.

I wish Nedved's cracker from 25 yards out would have gone in. The one that hit the crossbar. AMAZING strike

I figured we had the game in the bag, or at least in safe keeping, so I fell asleep after halftime (the match started 4:30am down here, so you could imaging how buggered I was)... WTF happened in the 2nd half!?!? *pulls hair out* :~(

I agree with everyone; the game was awsome!

I hope Netherlands makes it to the next round.

Germany should go home, their games have been rather boring.

aaah if only the Copa America was half as good as the Eurocup.

Tomorrow's match between Spain (the team im rooting for) and Portugal should be very good as well!!

Thanks to Mexican tv I wont miss a single game.

I'm still in total shock, the ref ruined everything for us.

Hopefully, the Czechs would do their duty so we could meet them again in the finals. It would be very unfair to see such a team go out in the early stage because of an amature ref

Nedved was fuckin good (I had never seen him play live). The Czechs were all good..
koller(I think that's his name)was another good player (tall, bald dude).

A rematch would be great.

Hooker

It pleases me to see many people praising the playing of yesterday. At least some highlight of a dark evening.

And let me tell you, Holland can play a WHOLE lot better than this. Like I said before, when they play like they should play, no one can beat them. (this does not include horrible referees and idiotic tactictal substitutions :mad:!!) I hope the Czechs will put a decent team on the pitch and sustain the Germans, although I don't have a lot of faith in it. The Germans always perform horribly when playing against "football-dwarves". Look at their games with the Faoroer Islands (sp?) and Iceland. Yet they usually play good against better countries. Then again, they HAVE to win!!

It would be a great final though, payback time :) (Holland - Czech Republic that is)

Oh yeah, you haven't seen Robben yet, he's more explosive at PSV. More tricks like Ronaldihno (at as that caliber though) and goes more to the inside for the quick goal in the short corner. But you'll see that next year at Chelsea :)

Falch

A day later, and I still can't understand why the FUCK Advocaat changed Robben. :( We will never know, I guess.

Anyway, not all is lost, we should be able to beat the Letvians, and than hope for Germany not to win from the Czechs.

And it's good to see so many people enjoyed the game. I never had thought our team had it in them, after the poor showing against Germany.

Falch

hehe, I won't.

Any idea what team Spain will begin with? I think it was a shame Valeron didn't play the second match, while he played so well the first match.

Acrylamid

It just came to my mind: If the Germans loose against the Czechs and Netherlands - Latvia ends with a draw, a team with only 2 points will reach the quarter final!

Falch

I hadn't though about that. Pretty strange. If Germany loses, and Netherlands - Letvia ends 1-1, the Dutch will qualify. :) Why? Because the Dutch will have scored the most goals in the matches concerning Latvia and Germany. Latvia and Germany will both have scored 1 goal in 2 draws, while the Netherlands would have 2 goals in 2 draws.

EDIT: I just realised that if Germany loses, 0-0 against Letvia would be enough, as long as Germany doesn't lose 3-2, 4-3 and so on ( because than Germany would have scored more goals than the Netherlands).

Damn, this is higher math right here. :)

yep i'm trying to study before the Spain - Portugal game.

it will be tight as hell. Solari[sp] better put Renaldo in the starting line up, that kid will be bigger than Figo someday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom