• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

amrum

Adios españa !

icon21.gif

P16.jpg

P14.jpg

P19.jpg

Obrigado Nuno Gomes !
ohyeah.gif

Solid

I'm really impressed by Deco. I hope Chelsea buys him :D

Ronaldo was very good too, I liked his vendetta with Puyol haha..

Bloody Greeks. Russia missed a sitter at the end that would have sent Spain through. Although in fairness they wouldn't have deserved it. Raul should not have been playing. He's had a miserable season and is only playing because the coach wasn't brave enough to drop him, a bit like Owen for England.

The game was crying out for Valeron and what on earth Morientes was doing on the bench until 10 minutes to go I'll never know. Still, big congrats to Portugal though. Ronaldo was very good but by god he needs to pass the ball more often and whip the crosses in a bit earlier. It would drive me nuts playing with him.

Solid

Aaah great news, amrum! Chelsea will be so hot next season with Mourinho as their new manager. First Robben, then Ferreira and now Deco. Jesus, their squad will be packed with stars. Too bad Beckham won't leave Real Madrid, he would suit very well in Chelsea imo :)

Hooker

Chibbi Brady said:
Ronaldo was very good but by god he needs to pass the ball more often and whip the crosses in a bit earlier. It would drive me nuts playing with him.
Lol, playing against him would be worse IMO.

I didn't think too highly of Raul Bravo and Ronaldo showed the world lol. I even laughed at him with a few actions, especially the one where he didn't play the ball (it fell on his feet-Ronaldo's feet) and the ball just rolled through the legs of Raul Bravo. He looked so stupid lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Spain lost. No surprise here, Portugal was better in every respect and our coach is a total cunt. You can win shit making teams to score just one goal and then making changes to mend the situation when everything is fucked up.

Way to go asshat. I want Camacho to come back >:-(

BTW the referee did nothing. There was at least one red card and half a docen yellow cards for Portugal (and more than a couple to Spain too)

Fowler

Spain totally threw it away. They did absolutely everything they could to lose. Full marks to Portugal, because they wanted it more and showed it by cutting Spain to shreds. But neither team should have ever been in these positions -- Spain should have had qualification wrapped up after the first two games and Portugal should have been out with two absolutely abysmal performances. But they weren't, and Portugal took advantage to play a blinder.

Spain did everything wrong and were never in it. Portugal had a racuous home crowd behind them and they were the ones needing the result. So why hand them the initiative? Spain sat back and let Portugal roll all over them. It's something that was made all the more damning when Spain finally did get the ball and did play it around, because Portugal weren't there at all defensively. Their midfield was incredible going forward but when asked to defend, they never pressed Spain, never closed them down. And while Andrade and Carvalho had good matches in the centre, a second-rate Spain found PLENTY of open seams in the second half on the wings. It was there for the taking. And then Saez decides to bring on Luque and wait until the end to bring on Morientes, and not ever bring on Valeron. What was he thinking?

But again, full marks to Portugal. They did everything right going forward, mixed up the play, and spread things around very well. They forced Iker Casillas into a string of great saves and Nuno Gomes scored a great goal (speaking of which, great substitution by Scolari!). They were brilliant on the break, and they got plenty of men forward to help Nuno Gomes/Pauleta, Figo and Ronaldo.

cja

The last three nights have seen the team playing without fear getting a positive result (Sweden, Czech Republic, Portugal) while the teams that have let negative thoughts enter their minds have been punished. Two on the brink of going out in Italy and Holland while Spain are taking another early trip home from a big footie event.

Just hope England don't make the same mistake, Sven says they'll go for it but I remember the negative Nigerian performance. That resulted in playing Brazil a round earlier and in the heat of the day. My bowel can't cope with 0-0 after 80 minutes :( :p.

Spain were poor but I do feel sorry for them after their first two games saw very good performances from them. Greece game especially they battered the opposition but somehow only drew 1-1 which in the end cost them, playing the home team who know they have to win was very awkward.

Hooker

Funky Papa said:
BTW the referee did nothing. There was at least one red card and half a docen yellow cards for Portugal (and more than a couple to Spain too)
Where?!

I didn't see anything the ref should but hadn't done. It was a tough game and the ref let the sides play the game. Never at any point did it get too heated in the game, no one left or had an injury. I would have liked to see a yellow card for Deco for the blatant diving and asking for cards, but for the rest the ref had a flawless game!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
cja said:
Spain were poor but I do feel sorry for them after their first two games saw very good performances from them.
I disagree. Spain was average for a team of its quality. The don't have blood on their veins, no passion at all.

It was amazing to see how the hell Spain was unable to acomplish a single good pass, I used to put more interest when playing on high school. It is not like the fuckers are being unpayed or something.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, that was a surprise. Portugal somehow made it, although I can't believe how Russia could win against Greece.
Anyway, this is probably a good thing for the tournament, simply because Portugal are arranging Euro 2004. Looking at all the games played though, I think Spain was the better team as a whole. But not today. ;)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
spain and portugal are both average teams of some great individuals (spain moreso than portugal) i think Greece and Portugal will go out next round if England and France qualify tomorrow.

Ghost said:
spain and portugal are both average teams of some great individuals (spain moreso than portugal) i think Greece and Portugal will go out next round if England and France qualify tomorrow.

Im sorry but England doesnt stand a chance against a good defensive team, i hope England will go against Portugal, we won on euro 2000 cant see a reason why we wouldnt do it again.....

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I wouldn't call Portugal a good defensive team.

And we scored against France didn't we? First in what, 11 games? And they played against teams like Brazil in that time. If any team is good defensively, it's France.

We're also excellent off set pieces. You're bound to get at the very least one or two in a decent position during a game, against any team in the world. That's when teams should be most worried facing England.

ourumov

When you have a team in which only one man is giving everything (Puyol)...you are determined to lost. That's what happened to Spain...
Anyways, the good point of this is that Xavi and Puyol will began holidays now and they'll be less tired for the next season. We have a Champion's to win this year. ;)

Força Barça !!!!
puyol_bio.jpg

ronaldinho_4905.jpg

xavi5.jpg

Mama Smurf said:
I wouldn't call Portugal a good defensive team.

And we scored against France didn't we? First in what, 11 games? And they played against teams like Brazil in that time. If any team is good defensively, it's France.

We're also excellent off set pieces. You're bound to get at the very least one or two in a decent position during a game, against any team in the world. That's when teams should be most worried facing England.

Look, the fact is any England football team is going to have problems against a good defensive team, also Ricardo Carvalho(like this one you wont find better in Europe and maybe the world), Nuno Valente and Paulo Ferreira are some of the best defensive players in Europe so i dont understand your comment, of course if you're going to attack with full team the one which is defending will have problems, besides England's defense is a reflection of any British football club, weak, i might eat these same words but if England ends up facing Portugal, Deco, Ronaldo and company are going to do extreme damage.......remember euro 2000

Mama Smurf

Bluemercury said:
Look, the fact is any England football team is going to have problems against a good defensive team, also Ricardo Carvalho(like this one you wont find better in Europe and maybe the world), Nuno Valente and Paulo Ferreira are some of the best defensive players in Europe so i dont understand your comment, of course if you're going to attack with full team the one which is defending will have problems, besides England's defense is a reflection of any British football club, weak, i might eat these same words but if England ends up facing Portugal, Deco, Ronaldo and company are going to do extreme damage.......remember euro 2000

I think you'll find England had the best defensive record of all the teams at the last World Cup. Then there's the fact that I can only think of one threatening shot from France (of all teams) had against England that didn't come directly from a set piece (Trezeguet's header). Finally, there's Switzerland, who, for all their good crosses, only got a single shot on target against us through the entire game. If anything, England have one of the strongest defences in the world.

England are a much better team than they were in Euro 2000, with a much better manager. I can't say the same for Portugal. Or at least, I haven't yet seen them play as well as they did then.

As for Ronaldo, he's simply been alright in the Premiership. The vast majority of teams have figured out how to cancel him out, something the teams Portugal have faced so far haven't had the chance to.

I'm not a United fan but to say that most Premiership teams have cancelled him out if just flat out wrong. He has improved dramatically over the course of the season and in the last few months he was excellent, far and away the best United player. He had a fantastic run in to the season, and was outstanding in both the semi and final of the FA cup. He tore teams to shreds and I can't remember anyone shutting him out. Hopefully he'll continue to improve because he is a fantastic prospect.

Mama Smurf

I thought he was pretty poor against most teams. Well, ok, he did fine, but not worth his price tag. I remember when he first played, against Bolton, and he really tore their defence apart. I've not seen him play like that once since then.

It's not like I see every game United play though. Maybe I just missed the good performances.

GO PORTUGAL!!! :)

It was a great game to watch, though a lot of goals missed.

Who plays Portugal next? Is it Germany?

Edit: I think I saw some of my friends when they were showing the celebrations after the game.
tongue.gif

Mama Smurf said:
I thought he was pretty poor against most teams. Well, ok, he did fine, but not worth his price tag. I remember when he first played, against Bolton, and he really tore their defence apart. I've not seen him play like that once since then.

It's not like I see every game United play though. Maybe I just missed the good performances.

I guess im not seeing the same game summaries of the British football league then........

Sucks that Spain is out; they did not play like I had hoped they would. Portugal was great (C. Ronaldo was on fire!).

In my opinion Morientes should have been put in as a starter. He was a great part in Monaco's Champions league appearance, but I guess its not the same thing....

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

England are a totally different team under Sven these days so 2000 comparrisons are pointless. Portugal Defended well against Spain but if they play the same against england they'll struggle because they gave the ball away far too easily. England will only need once chance to score (as seen against Switzerland and France) and portugal wont have a way of breaking England down because Ronaldo will be up against Gary Neville who knows his game better than any right back in the world.

Pathetic.

As always.

And the coach not only has not been sacked immediately, but it seems it will stay for 2 more years. I hope he comes back soon so that we can have a nice mob lynch at the airport.

So utterly pathetic. This time I give up, I SWEAR.

Fowler

Look, Portugal are certainly good enough to beat England. England defended well against the French but I can't see them stopping a Portuguese onslaught in the mould of the one they gave the Spanish. But Portugal simply aren't a good defensive team. Portugal's strengths are in attack, and keeping the ball around the opposition box. They can't close teams down and they leave awful gaps at the back, especially on the flanks. Greece capitalised on mistakes from both the right-back (Paulo Ferreira hasn't played since giving the ball away to Karagounis) and left-back (who went missing, leaving Ronaldo to cover and foul Seitaridis for the winning penalty), and Spain found plenty of room on either side.

Mind you, England aren't as bad as their reputation outside England suggests, and Portugal are capable of abysmal performances when it matters (Greece, Russia... South Korea, USA...), so assuming that is the quarter-final matchup I'd say it's a close one. And whether you think English defenders have Ronaldo sussed or have no chance, they certainly know him a lot better than anyone else at Euro 2004.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's not exactly a sure bet to say that England will move on to QF. They still got Croatia left, and that will probably be a tough game. All teams still have a chance to reach quarterfinals too.

Solid

Forza Le Bleu tonight! I bet they'll win pretty easy against Switzerland.

My bet is that Croatia win over England, and I actually hope so :p

ourumov

BTW, Now that I see so many Portugal lovers... Is Ricardo Quaresma a good player ? I had no chance to see him in action this season and a lot of people says he is even better than C. Ronaldo...

ourumov said:
BTW, Now that I see so many Portugal lovers... Is Ricardo Quaresma a good player ? I had no chance to see him in action this season and a lot of people says he is even better than C. Ronaldo...

It goes like this, Quaresma was at one point in my opinion a better player than Ronaldo at Sporting but while Ronaldo matured more and became less selfish with the ball this didnt happen with Quaresma, i think Alex Ferguson is building a spectacular player, he needs to pull Ronaldo's ears when he have to, this didnt happen with Quaresma and he needs someone to "teach" him, he does have great potential but it may be ruined by the problem of keeping with the ball too much time......

Fowler said:
Look, Portugal are certainly good enough to beat England. England defended well against the French but I can't see them stopping a Portuguese onslaught in the mould of the one they gave the Spanish. But Portugal simply aren't a good defensive team. Portugal's strengths are in attack, and keeping the ball around the opposition box. They can't close teams down and they leave awful gaps at the back, especially on the flanks. Greece capitalised on mistakes from both the right-back (Paulo Ferreira hasn't played since giving the ball away to Karagounis) and left-back (who went missing, leaving Ronaldo to cover and foul Seitaridis for the winning penalty), and Spain found plenty of room on either side.

Mind you, England aren't as bad as their reputation outside England suggests, and Portugal are capable of abysmal performances when it matters (Greece, Russia... South Korea, USA...), so assuming that is the quarter-final matchup I'd say it's a close one. And whether you think English defenders have Ronaldo sussed or have no chance, they certainly know him a lot better than anyone else at Euro 2004.

Yes you're right about some of the abysmal performances by portugal but the fact is right now with half of the FC porto team and Ronaldo as the first choice for that position i think Portugal can actually go at least to mid-finals.....its a mentality problem, the first game with Greece, i give them the benefit of the doubt thinking that they were really nervous, the World cup thing, i blame it entirely to the coach, i mean he didnt had the balls to take Figo and Rui Costa out, they were both out of shape (and F.couto is just too old i still cant believe he was called for this Euro).......Scolari took Figo twice now.....at least he is the type of coach who doesnt take names too seriously.......remember Romario?

Maverick

Damn, that crowd is about 95% Swiss I think. Cmon England....They seem like they're getting pressure, but can't finish in the box (i'm listening via webcast).

Damnit, why'd FSW have to put on the France game. :(

COCKLES

being watched
2-1 ROOOOOOOOOOOOONEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Outstanding England performance.

I was worried we were playing too good to win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom