• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Q-Finals:

England v Portugal

France v Greece

Sweden v Holland/Germany/Latvia (no way Latvia, just possible)

Czech Rep. v Denmark

Shompola

Banned
cuccoo said:
I really think the scandinavian teams really engineered the match. Its impossible to get 2-2 out of all the possiblities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you by any chance an italian journalist? The italians themselfs fabricated the lie. I am happy Italy got out. Bunch of whiners and losers.

yes i saw, Italy owned, i confess i never liked anything italy related football wise, i hate their league and their way of play......so im happy they are out, but it sucks to go out with no lost games.....

Solid

B E N K E said:
Sweden's 2-2 goal was against the run of play... Denmark came very close to scoring 3-1, they must have had 4 or 5 clear chances. Sweden seem to have that special knack of scoring goals when they really need it. I like it!
Me too brother. But man, was I mad at Nilsson and Källström... they sucked. They litteraly sucked!

Mama Smurf said:
Q-Finals:

England v Portugal

France v Greece

Sweden v Holland/Germany/Latvia (no way Latvia, just possible)

Czech Rep. v Denmark
Man, I really like Greece and Holland, but it doesn't look like either will make it through to the third round.

I hope we at least get an England-France rematch.

Bluemercury said:
Nan Portugal will own England :p
Really? I didn't see Portugal owning very much in the opening round, and England- apart from the penalty time blunder- looked pretty solid, especially offensively when they needed it.

Plus, you can't stop Rooney. Motherfucker will fuck shit up.

Mike Works said:
Really? I didn't see Portugal owning very much in the opening round, and England- apart from the penalty time blunder- looked pretty solid, especially offensively when they needed it.

Plus, you can't stop Rooney. Motherfucker will fuck shit up.

I guess you didnt saw the spain-portugal match then.....

Mama Smurf

Portugal - England is really the only game I can't call. France should beat Greece, assumign Holland go through they should beat Sweden and Czech Republic should beat Denmark.

Not that I think any of those games are easy, France is the only one I'd bet on, but I can at least call it.

Italy is a joke of a team. Under those circumstances, with so many quality players and they can't create enough chances against a very poor bulgarian side. They deserve to go home. Trapattoni is an average coach, but there's just so much he can do when his players play like crap every game.

Fuck that theory about a fix. Denmark and Sweden advance rightfully so, as the best two teams of the group.

Bluemercury said:
I guess you didnt saw the spain-portugal match then.....
That was the same Spain who tied Greece and lost to Russia, right? And Portugal beat them 1-0. That doesn't exactly invoke an aura of confidence here.

Fowler

It's not spitboy's fault. They played BETTER without him in that bizarre 1-1 thrashing of Sweden. It's Trap's fault for giving up on the game at 1-0 when the Swedes were being violated in the rear with such ferocity they were about to become goatse. But he gave up, Sweden grabbed the initiative in the final 10 minutes and got that wonder goal from Ibrahimovic, and Italy found themselves in the hole they tried their hardest not to get out of. Seriously... the Portuguese had a crappy tournament, but they had a chance in their last game to win and advance. They put the rest of the tournament behind them and played really well against Spain. Even the French ground through. Italy? They never really looked like they were in it -- and it wasn't like it was an incredibly inspired Bulgarian performance that denied them. They were totally out of sorts.

Still, there will be a lot of moans and groans back in Italy that the Scandinavians needed a 2-2 and -- conveniently enough -- the hitherto unbeatable Sorensen gives away a penalty and drops the ball for them to get their 2-2. Not sure that I agree with the whole match-fixing thing, but it is rather convenient.

Shompola

Banned
If you watched Spain Vs Portugal you would know that the Portugal playing Spain was not the one playing Greece and Russia. The self confidence in the portugese players was just extreme compared to the earlier games.

Charles

It's how it ended though. I'm still peeved off by that one of the players promises that there is no way the game would end 2-2 ('I wouldn't be a single pound on it...'). All the players declared it (or at least most of them).

I didn't see the entire game yet, but I did see the highlights. The Sweden game started 3 minutes after the Italian game (where all the games should start at the same time) and to see Denmark miss all those games at the end, only for Sweden to attack and score without the defenders even challenging the Swedish players in the box.

Sorensen, who was impeccable against Italy and Bulgaria just passed the ball the the Swedish player and didn't really try to catch the rebound.

I don't really blame Sweden and Denmark to play for a draw, but it's unfair to do that and call the Italians 'cheats' (like many people like to do).

cja

Denmark came very close to scoring 3-1, they must have had 4 or 5 clear chances.
Yup, and they missed them all, odd that.
;)

Sweden seem to have that special knack of scoring goals when they really need it. I like it!
Yeah, especially when the opposition goalie drops one to the feet of a Swedish player in the 89th minute ;)

Obvious fix, I would expect the Italians to call for Denmark and Sweden to be thrown out of the competition for bringing the game into disrepute.

Mama Smurf said:
Let's all ignore the Greece game! Yey!

Yes you can ignore that game now since the the most important players were not there initially, Deco, Valente, Ronaldo and Carvalho, i bet with you that Carvalho/Valente will dry Rooney like they did with Joaquin and Luque from Spain. Besides England is worse at defending than Portugal is with those players i mentioned, if Ronaldo , Figo and Deco play as well as against Spain England will have a hard time......

Shompola

Banned
"I don't really blame Seden and Denmark to play for a draw, but it's unfair to do that and call the Italians 'cheats' (like many people like to do)."

I am personally calling the italians and others who think alike in this circumstance cheaters because they(the italian press of course) are the ones who originally fabricated the lie that Sweden and Denmark will play 2-2 score. Surely exactly this happened but I personally doubt they were in some conspirancy well except for Sweden starting to pass the ball in the last miinute and the danish players just watching wich I personally think is just sad. If anyone wants to accuse Sweden and Denmark then accuse them for not playin football in the last minute.

norinrad21 said:
Bullshit, this game wasn't fixed, now drop it
Are you talking to us or the Denmark goalie?

cartoon19.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
How can someone possibly claim the game to be a fix? Both teams kept playing during 90 mins (they stopped playing after 2-2, obviously). Did you even watch the game?! How can you fix the 2nd Danish goal, for example? Must be some pretty good "acting". And both teams promised the game wouldn't be a fix, but did they ever promise that the game would NOT end 2-2? Should both teams AVOID that very result just because Italian media have been making such a fuss about it? That's just absurd.

Fowler

Shompola said:
"I don't really blame Seden and Denmark to play for a draw, but it's unfair to do that and call the Italians 'cheats' (like many people like to do)."

I am personally calling the italians and others who think alike in this circumstance cheaters because they(the italian press of course) are the ones who originally fabricated the lie that Sweden and Denmark will play 2-2 score. Surely exactly this happened but I personally doubt they were in some conspirancy well except for Sweden starting to pass the ball in the last miinute and the danish players just watching wich I personally think is just sad. If anyone wants to accuse Sweden and Denmark then accuse them for not playin football in the last minute.

Oh please.

1) It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they needed 2-2 to both go through. And it doesn't take a genius to think "well, if they both go through with that, why don't they..."

2) And come on, like they're going to play on after knowing they're both through. However they arrived at that result, whether you think it fair or not, you'd be crazy to think that late in the game they'd continue to press. Why bother? You're through. They're through. Just pass the time as best you can without taking stupid risks that could lead to losing or getting suspended. Any fan, while naturally decrying any killer instinct or lack of goals, knows that ultimately it's what you need to do. It's like teams protecting a lead by wasting time... except both teams need to waste time here.

Mama Smurf

Bluemercury said:
Yes you can ignore that game now since the the most important players were not there initially, Deco, Valente, Ronaldo and Carvalho, i bet with you that Carvalho/Valente will dry Rooney like they did with Joaquin and Luque from Spain. Besides England is worse at defending than Portugal is with those players i mentioned, if Ronaldo , Figo and Deco play as well as against Spain England will have a hard time......

It's true you've changed some players round, I forgot that.

I don't know who's going to win, I wouldn't like to say either way, but both teams have just played their best games and I can't say Portugal overly worry me. I'm just as happy to face them as any of the other teams who've gone through, with the exception of Greece.

Mama Smurf

Fowler said:
Oh please.

1) It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they needed 2-2 to both go through. And it doesn't take a genius to think "well, if they both go through with that, why don't they..."

2) And come on, like they're going to play on after knowing they're both through. However they arrived at that result, whether you think it fair or not, you'd be crazy to think that late in the game they'd continue to press. Why bother? You're through. They're through. Just pass the time as best you can without taking stupid risks that could lead to losing or getting suspended. Any fan, while naturally decrying any killer instinct or lack of goals, knows that ultimately it's what you need to do. It's like teams protecting a lead by wasting time... except both teams need to waste time here.

I don't understand which side you're arguing for.

SFA_AOK

Fowler said:

That's different from playing all along for a 2-2 draw. It's 90 minutes, both teams are through, sitting back a bit isn't so bad...

Fowler

I'm not on any particular side here, I just reckon he was totally wrong.

I'm an Italian supporter, and as much as I want to cry out FUCKING SCANDINAVIAN CHEATERS, I know that fixing a game isn't as simple as it sounds. You can't really do it without being incredibly obvious about it because there are too many variables, too many things that could go wrong, etc. So even though the result is extremely conveeeeenient, and I'm annoyed that Italy actually got the result they needed only to be denied by that conveeeeeeenient scoreline, I know that it's highly unlikely that it was a fix.

Fowler

SFA_AOK said:
That's different from playing all along for a 2-2 draw. It's 90 minutes, both teams are through, sitting back a bit isn't so bad...

That's what I'm saying though... it was frustrating, but it can't be helped. Any team in a similar situation would have done it, so again, as much as I want to scream FUCKING CRAP-ASS CORRUPT SONS OF SCANDINAVIAN BITCHES, I can't really blame them :)

B E N K E

I don't think it entered the player's mind until it was 2-2 on the board... Until then both teams were trying to win/get the draw...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I just watched the last goal again, and I don't see how Sorensen was deliberately "aiming" at a Swedish player with the rebound. He saved with one hand, how much control over the ball do you have with one hand? And it doesn't exactly get any easier with the rain pouring down. And how would you save the shot from Jonson? It wasn't like Sorenson moved out of the way. And also, why would Denmark deliberately lose? Wouldn't winning be even better? By winning, they would've avoided The Czech Republic in the QF. But, oh yes...a fix! CONSPIRACY ;)

Mama Smurf said:
It's true you've changed some players round, I forgot that.

I don't know who's going to win, I wouldn't like to say either way, but both teams have just played their best games and I can't say Portugal overly worry me. I'm just as happy to face them as any of the other teams who've gone through, with the exception of Greece.

you're right, but think like this, the main error with Portugal was that scolari was being stubborn regarding those players i mean, these guys won champions league for christ sake.....it has the potential of being one of the best games, thats for sure.......

Shompola

Banned
How am I totally wrong? I was saying that Sweden and denmark didn't play football when there was 1 minute left of the game. And then said that if you want to accusse them of anything then accuse them of that and NOT that they were in a conspirancy together to score each two goals.

Mama Smurf

Pick of the quarters, that's for sure.

I don't think it was so much a question of the Scandinavian teams thinking "Right, now we'll both go through" when it got to the 88th minute so much as "Crap, let's keep the ball, we could go out if we concede again".

Hooker

Lol, man I was actually jumping around when Johnsson made that goal, laughing my ass off when Casano scored one about 30 seconds afterwards ROFL!!

I'm glad Italy is out, they didn't bring anything to the game this tourny.

Anyways, need to go to bed early, big day tomorrow for us Dutchman :/

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Glad to see Italy out of the tournament. They can talk about fairplay all they want but they don't know the meaning of the word themselves. Kinda upset that we threw away the victory so late in the game but I welcome the humorous reactions that will undoubtedly come from it. Overall it was a very even match and both Denmark and Sweden deserved to advance. Sucks that we have to face the Czechs though.

Fowler

I'm saying I don't think it's right to accuse them of any wrongdoing for "not playing football" for the last couple of minutes or calling it sad or anything of the sort. There are two minutes left. They are both through. Taking any risks or making any mistakes would literally have put one out of the tournament. Again, it's like a team holding on to a lead and trying to waste time in the last minute or two. It's common sense. Everyone does it. We're just in the rare position of seeing BOTH teams want to waste time.

And if you think this was bad, I remember a Monaco game a few years back where the LAST FIVE MINUTES were like this. Two Monaco defenders pretty much kept the ball for the whole time while Barthez had a nice sit-down by the post.

cja

How can you fix the 2nd Danish goal, for example?
You wouldn't have to to fix how the goals are scored, Tomasson's first goal was perhaps the best of the tournament so far, even with the goalie too far off his line. Problem is the sway of the game went Denmark domination until they scored, Sweden until they equalised, Denmark until the scored their second, then woops, Denmark goalie makes a mistake, 2-2 result. If the game was fixed it was never going to be obvious like games of the early eighties.

The chances of a 2-2 result in a normal game of football is about one in twenty, for that alone there will be cynicism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom