• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFA_AOK

Yep.

I dunno about this Germany Czech game. Shades of the first half of England versus Croatia, the Germans are the ones piling on the pressure.... Half time already!

SFA_AOK

Just saw the reason for the penalty in the Holland game - disgrace :(

Norin - I don't think they're out yet, if they carry on playing how they did in the last 10 or so minutes of the first half (about all I saw of the game, heh), I think they'll net another.

COCKLES

being watched
Worst German team ever. Total lack of passion.

But as usual they'll probably bag one right at the end to scape through. Just look at the last World Cup - has their ever been a more average, medicore team in the final?

Alucard

Banned
Germany's playing offensively minded football but they're just not getting the shots on goal. The Czechs have been packing the box thus far. Here's hoping that the Germans can kick it up a notch in the second half and get a win because it doesn't sound like a draw would be good enough going by the Dutch/Latvian game at the moment. BALLACK. BALLACK. BALLACK.

Both goals were stellar in the first half. I thought Kahn might have done better on the free kick though.

jett

D-Member
God, that was sooooooo fucking undeserved. I think I'm going to have a fucking heart attack. Now Germany needs two goals. :\

SFA_AOK

Germany out. After the second Czech goal, Germany were a bit stunned I think, they weren't coming back and it was starting to sink in... So out they go!

cuccoo

at least italy got company... lol. sad day for the germans, beaten by czech without nedved, smicer and only a bit of poborsky.

Alucard

Banned
Damn. Well that royally sucks...with all of the pressure and the chances that the Germans had in the second half, I think that they deserved a better fate. Their problem this whole tournament has been their total lack of finish...and a bit of bad luck too since they should have had a penalty kick on that one play where the Czech goalie PUSHED a German out of the box to get to the ball.

Well...let's go France.

Solid

YES! GOOD BYE DEUTCHLAND!!!

But man, are we Swedes gonna get owned by Holland or what... it was fun while it lasted :(

Kweh

COCKLES said:
Worst German team ever. Total lack of passion.

But as usual they'll probably bag one right at the end to scape through. Just look at the last World Cup - has their ever been a more average, medicore team in the final?

Exactly. Germany have been one of the most boring teams in recent years.

beto

Simian. Sexual. Servitude.
For those of you that might be in the same unfortunate situation and have no way of watching the euro on TV, here is how I have been doing it:

Live audio feed on the BBC Five Live:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/euro2004/schedule.shtml

you need Windows media player or real audio player.....

Live visual feed from Algerian TV:

http://www.entv.dz/online/index.php

the feed in arabic and you need widows media player.

I usually use real audio for the bbc radio and windows media for algerian TV. I mute the visual feed and listen the english broadcast...

hope this helps..

Falch

Oh god, you can't imagine the feeling of relief I had once Baros scored the 2-1 versus Germany.

First of all, we did what we had to do against Letvia. Good football the first halve, although besides the 2 goals Van Nistelrooy made, he should have scored two more. Start of the second halve was very bad, Letvia got 3 decent chances. Luckily, Holland got their act together and especially after Makaay got in (for Van Der Meyde) we played like we played the first halve, with Makaay scoring a great goal. Robben was gold, as he was in the previous game.

Next to that, there was ofcourse the other match. After Germany made 1-0, I thought we were done for. Luckily Heinz got his revenge (he failed in the Bundesliga and dislikes the Germans as he has voiced several times) and scored from a free kick. And than the second halve, in which Germany aplied more pressure, had a kick bouncing of the post, and another shot saved on the goalline. Than the counterattack by Baros finished the Germans off.

Damn what an exciting evening.

The Germans wouldn't have deserved to advance anyway. They played the worst looking and most unattractive football of all teams, with the possible exception of Italy. Luckily both teams are out. Germany has a lot of work cut out for themselves now that they can't even win from a Czech formation with 8 players that are normally on the bench.

And last but not least: Schade Deutschland, alles ist vorbei!

Off Topic, but here's Juventus new crest.

logojuventusnuovo90x128.jpg

Pretty damn cool.

Anyway, glad to see Holland made it through. Them and the Czech have been the best two teams of the group and deserve it. Germany, on the other hand, was a disaster of italian proportions. =p I guess you can save Lahm and Ballack from that mess, but not much else. Plus their forwards are a complete disgrace. What was with all the hype surrounding Kuranyi before the cup? He is pathetic. Even Jancker would've been more dangerous.

Falch

hehe, you're right. Atleast Janker envoked a certain amount of fear. :)

1027261_7988_1088028356349-dui1.jpg

VERSUS
1027215_7988_1088026606072-ned2.jpg

Btw, that Letvian goalkeeper, Kolinko, I'd like to award him with the personality award 2004. A nice non glamourish, down to earth player. Always with that look on his face that says: "WTF am I doing here, I belong with the other peasants back on my farm in Letvia!"

Look:
kolinko.jpg

hehe. :)

I'm delighted Holland made it through. The tournament is better with them in it. Even though the Czechs made 9 changes tonight, I still fancied them to beat Germany. It's by far the worst German team I can remember in all my years watching football. The forwards were so poor it was unbelievable, I felt really sorry for Ballack because he is a quality player surrounded by utter crap. They didn't really show any hear either, something the Germans are notorious for. Although in fairness they were a little unlucky tonight, the Czech keeper pulled off a few good saves and they missed a few good chances.

I'd really love to see a Holland - Czech final. That was the best game I've seen in years and the prospect of a repeat showing is enough to get me drooling. I also have a few quid on the Czechs to win, £20 at 14-1.

Falch

From Bild:
1912986-01__em__deutschland__raus,property=Bild.jpg

And Van Nistelrooy now has the most goals scored this Euro championship, together with Rooney (Both 4 goals). :D

Chibbi Brady said:
I'd really love to see a Holland - Czech final. That was the best game I've seen in years and the prospect of a repeat showing is enough to get me drooling. I also have a few quid on the Czechs to win, £20 at 14-1.

That'd be fantastic. Best opportunity for revenge ever.

Solid

I just saw the Holland game (re-run on TV).. and Robben is steal hot! I really like him, and the best thing about him is that he will play for Chelsea next season! :D

Anyway, these are the five players I think have played best so far:

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sweden
2. Robben, Holland
3. Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal
4. Wayne Rooney, England
5. Pavel Nedved, Czech

Runner-up: Cassano, Italy.

:)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Deepthroat said:
I just saw the Holland game (re-run on TV).. and Robben is steal hot! I really like him, and the best thing about him is that he will play for Chelsea next season! :D

Anyway, these are the five players I think have played best so far:

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sweden
2. Robben, Holland
3. Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal
4. Wayne Rooney, England
5. Pavel Nedved, Czech

Runner-up: Cassano, Italy.

:)

WTF, you got Zlatan as no 1, what a surprise!!!!! ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't think Holland will OWN Sweden, Holland are attack-happy, but their defense isn't exactly a wall. If Sweden manage to stand up to the Dutch attacks, they'll surely have a chance. Tobias Linderoth will be back next game, that will help substantially IMO.
Anyway, I'm sure it will be a very interesting game. :p

And I was hoping that Germany would reach QF instead of Holland, because that would've been easier. ;)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
norinrad21 said:
Hey Swedes you have been wared. We'll OWN ya.

I hope you have a nice day

Seeing as you though Croatia would beat England, Bulgaria would whip Italy and Germany would own Holland (by beating the Czech Rep.)...well done Sweden, see you in the semi-finals!

JMPovoa

Let's not forget that Portugal's squad since the 2nd game is being composed by mostly the Porto team (champions league winners this year) from midfield and backwards. (Ricardo Carvalho and Nuno Valente at the back, and the magnificent trio at the midfield, Costinha, Maniche and Deco), all of them still young players. Add to that Miguel (Portugal's 2nd best right side back, behind Paulo Ferreira who, judging from Portugal's debut game seems a bit nervous with those 20million euros up his head, even though considered by many the best right side back in Europe currently) and Jorge Andrade (Deportivo's most admired center back). All of them constitute a very (young) strong defensive side who hasn't allowed any goals from Russia and Spain. Portugal's main problem may be at the front, even though they have Figo, Ronaldo and Nuno Gomes. Nuno Gomes is the key player here. He's such a brilliant player doing 1-2s and in overall, producing threatening plays, because he's so good with the ball, contrary to Pauleta, who has been terrible this Euro. He's much more of a finisher (i think he would show his true might in the english premiership, where long balls and crosses are quite common), and for the most time, it might look as if Portugal are playing with 10 men when he's in the squad, since he stays so lonely at the front waiting for the ball. Nuno Gomes always turns back to pick up play and distributes the ball to his coleagues. I think he's much better than Pauleta in Portugal's style of play, because they like to play through the middle lots of times.

Mama Smurf said:
Seeing as you though Croatia would beat England, Bulgaria would whip Italy and Germany would own Holland (by beating the Czech Rep.)...well done Sweden, see you in the semi-finals!

Maybe he should play in the lottery but instead he should choose the numbers he thinks wont actually be the winner ones.....:p

EmSeta

Reclaim the sticky!

And oh yeah, Holland-Sweden will be a nightmare for us Swedes.. it'll be a miracle if we pull through.

Hooker

Well, it wasn't like they deserved to go through.

Hell, Germany got everything in their own hands, not our fault they can't beat a B-team!

Hooker

WasabiKing said:
why don't you guys just continue to bump up the thread, BTW, it was not me, although I would have done something like that
SPAM it is boys, is bigger than OPA's version a suitable goal ;) ???

nevar hooker! nevar!

unfrivaled fanboy flair is displayed in that thread. congrats to becks and seb4.

mike probably de-stickied it but that doesn't matter, because there will be a lot of activity in this thread for the Eng vs Port game.

Shompola

Banned
Hmm I think Portugal will win over England today but I don't want England to lose. Will most likely be a very entertaining game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom