• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falch

What a great evening. Exactly how I wanted it to happen. :) And I'm 100% sure that 2-2 was not fixed. You can't fix something like that.

I'm especially delighted by the irony of Italy actually scoring 2-1, thinking they made it, and than finding out Sweden - Denmark ended 2-2. That was priceless. And the Italians deserved it, Sweden and Denmark were the superior teams.

God I hope Germany doesn't win tomorrow, so that Holland may qualify. I'm confident that we can beat the Swedish.

Oh, and Portugal will win from England. Portugues defense > Rooney, and Ronaldo > English defense. And France will beat Greece, and Czech Rep. will beat Denmark, probably.

Charles

Falch said:
What a great evening. Exactly how I wanted it to happen. :) And I'm 100% sure that 2-2 was not fixed. You can't fix something like that.

I'm especially delighted by the irony of Italy actually scoring 2-1, thinking they made it, and than finding out Sweden - Denmark ended 2-2. That was priceless. And the Italians deserved it, Sweden and Denmark were the superior teams.

God I hope Germany doesn't win tomorrow, so that Holland may qualify. I'm confident that we can beat the Swedish.

Oh, and Portugal will win from England. Portugues defense > Rooney, and Ronaldo > English defense. And France will beat Greece, and Czech Rep. will beat Denmark, probably.

Just for you I hope that the Czechs throw in their game so that you Dutch can cry foul. :D

Joy!

cja

Trapattoni being humble about not getting through, the Italian football president takes a different view :)

Italian soccer federation president Franco Carraro was unhappy about the 2-2 draw between Denmark and Sweden, a result which guaranteed Italy's elimination from Euro 2004.

"There is no doubt that the way the Denmark-Sweden game developed shows that the two teams were aiming for a draw. Of course, proof of that is hard to find," he said.

But Trapattoni played down suggestions that the Scandinavian teams had played for a draw.

"I have no argument with the result and the federation will not protest against it, absolutely not," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/italy/3827991.stm

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
cja said:
You wouldn't have to to fix how the goals are scored, Tomasson's first goal was perhaps the best of the tournament so far, even with the goalie too far off his line. Problem is the sway of the game went Denmark domination until they scored, Sweden until they equalised, Denmark until the scored their second, then woops, Denmark goalie makes a mistake, 2-2 result. If the game was fixed it was never going to be obvious like games of the early eighties.

The chances of a 2-2 result in a normal game of football is about one in twenty, for that alone there will be cynicism.

But really, look at all the chances both teams had. Hell, look at the chances Denmark had during 2-1. If they were playing for 2-2, Denmark sure took some big risks by being awfully close to score. I firmly believe that you simply cannot fix situations like that and still be 100 % sure the ball won't go in.

And about the sway of the game...I didn't think any of those were surprising. Sure wouldn't surprise me in a "non-fix" match. I mean, why didn't they sway to Sweden's favour during the end too then? Wouldn't that make Sweden's goal less suspicious?

But I have to say though, I'm glad that Sweden got their 2-2 goal as late as they did. ;)

Socreges

Banned
Denmark was up 2-1 and very nearly made it 3-1 a few times. They were constantly threatening and clearly playing for the win. Sweden's second goal had to be worked for.

How many of the conspiracy theorists actually watched the Denmark-Sweden game the entire way through? I wonder. After having a few of my Italian friends try to convince me that it was all fixed, I just had to watch the game myself. And now I'm convinced that they simply looked at the scoreboard and came to their own conclusions. Sure, once it was 2-2, with just a few minutes left, both teams let up for the most part. But that's not at all corrupt and much like sitting on a lead to maintain the win.

Italy did it to themselves.

Falch

Charles said:
Just for you I hope that the Czechs throw in their game so that you Dutch can cry foul. :D

Joy!

hehe, can't blame you for that. Actually, knowing how well Germans can perform at tournaments, even with the most dreadful of teams, I'm not really expecting the Dutch to reach the semi's anyway. I was pissed and disappointed last saturday when they lost, I won't have those extreme feelings anymore. Unless ofcourse the Germans don't win, and we fail to win from Letvia. :|

But that won't happen. :)

Carraro is exactly the reason I wanted the Italians to lose. Always trying to place the blame on someone other than themselves. Just ignore the fact that Italy played like shit against Denmark, played poor against Sweden, and barely was able to win from Bulgaria. Ofcourse, he doesn't mention any of that.

Bluemercury said:
what do you mean?
Didn't Portugal lose their first game, tie their second, and win their third thus having a;

1-1-1 record which = 4 points

While Italy tied their first two games, and won their third, going;

1-0-2 which = 5 points

Or did I mess up Portugal's record?

Mike Works said:
Didn't Portugal lose their first game, tie their second, and win their third thus having a;

1-1-1 record which = 4 points

While Italy tied their first two games, and won their third, going;

1-0-2 which = 5 points

Or did I mess up Portugal's record?

Nope, they lost the first and won the other two..

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
5 points is almost always good enough to get you through a 4 team group, italy got extremly unlucky, but its their own fault for giving Sweden the chance to screw them over.

*sigh*If only they had Rooney

rooney.jpg

ROOOONEY!!!
ROOOONEY!!!

And as for the fixing allogations id say thats a bit unlikely, Sweden and Denmark are two good attacking teams, and if things got to 2-2 it was obvious niether would want to risk going forward for an unecessary winner.

Solid

Falch said:
Since I'm Swedish I want Sweden to face Germany. I know Holland will beat Sweden pretty easy, but Germany won't. I hate Germany though, but Sweden needs a medal! :p

Ah man, too bad for Italy, I think they relied too much on the long pass (didn't they have like 10 offsides?).

Cassano's face after he found out his goal meant nothing was priceless....I felt bad for the guy...(it was a great goal by the way)

Charles

Well, if you expected yesterday's game to be extraordinary you were just fooling yourself. I've never seen a game in that type of dounpour being an exciting game, and actually I think Italy played pretty well in the 2nd half despite the rain.

Hooker

Deepthroat said:
Since I'm Swedish I want Sweden to face Germany. I know Holland will beat Sweden pretty easy, but Germany won't. I hate Germany though, but Sweden needs a medal! :p
:)

They wont win a medal though, the Czechs are going to win it :)

Hooker

Referee: Manuel Enrique Mejuto González (ESP) -- (Czech Republic - Germany)

OMG hahaha, I hope he fucks Germany over the way he fucked us over!!

That this man is giving a whissle is beyond me...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I cant believe Colina has to retire after these championships, the world of ref'ing wont be the same without him.

TaleSynz

Im watching this Euro 2004 and I must say...I kinda like it. Im still not a fan of Soccor..Football to you all but its quite good.

Question though...In America when their like NCAA tournaments and stuff certian teams come in as favorites. Who where the favorites for Euro 2004 ?

SFA_AOK

Italians were second favourites to win (though I guess this may differ from country to country?). Not sure who was first but it wouldn't surprise me if France came in as favourites. Not sure how they stand now though :p

Hooker

France, Portugal, Italy, Spain, England and Holland were the favourites before the tourney started.

Now it's Czech Republic, France, England & Portugal. (Holland if they reach the quarters)

Hooker

If it solely relied on our skills, hell yes. But of all countries, Germany is the one who can stop us. I dunno, I've already accepted the fact that we're out. Makes the pain of elimination much less I reckon :/

Odds, from another forum (UK bookmakers):

Odds range as follows (obviously all before tonight's
games - bookies offering best odds in brackets):

France 2/1 - 9/4 (Hills, Ladbrokes, SkyBet, Victor Chandler)
England 4/1 - 5/1 (Corals, Stanley, Bet365)
Portugal 5/1 - 6/1 (Hills, SkyBet, ToteSport)
Czech Rep 9/2 - 13/2 (PremierBet - 9/2 is with ToteSport)
Sweden 8/1 - 11/1 (ToteSport)
Denmark 8/1 - 14/1 (Hills, Blue Sq. - 8/1 is with Ladbrokes)
Germany 9/1 - 16/1 (9 is with Hills, Corals go 16's)
Holland 10/1 - 18/1 (Pinnacle go 10's , Stan James and Blue Sq. go 18's)
Greece 25/1 - 50/1 (Ladbrokes go that 25's - ToteSport go 50's)
Latvia 100/1 - 750/1 (most quote them at 500's, but Ladbrokes go 750/1 - Pinnacle are the tight arses at 100/1!)

Hooker said:
If it solely relied on our skills, hell yes. But of all countries, Germany is the one who can stop us. I dunno, I've already accepted the fact that we're out. Makes the pain of elimination much less I reckon :/

Well the problem is that even if Holland wins and Germany also wins well Holland will go home which is a shame since i defentely prefer holland's type of playing......

Before This week i thought England were the most owned team this tournemant because of that 93mnute France game, but seeing Holland lose despite a two goal lead and Italy go out after winng? Well, that's all changed.

Italy got owned in the worst way possible the other night. Their final goal was neigh on perfect as well. In truth though, their lack of qualification stems from the unrest n the camp, Totti (their captain) setting a bad example for his team, and their negative gameplay for the 2nd half against sweden and 1st half against Bulgaria.

I'll die of happiness if England beat Portugal tomorrow.

Kweh

Italy have themselves to blame. They have some of the best attackers and defenders in the world and they still dont want to play football.

Anyone that watched the SWE-DEN game knows that wasnt fixed at all.

otheranthony-ns said:
Before This week i thought England were the most owned team this tournemant because of that 93mnute France game, but seeing Holland lose despite a two goal lead and Italy go out after winng? Well, that's all changed.

Italy got owned in the worst way possible the other night. Their final goal was neigh on perfect as well. In truth though, their lack of qualification stems from the unrest n the camp, Totti (their captain) setting a bad example for his team, and their negative gameplay for the 2nd half against sweden and 1st half against Bulgaria.

I'll die of happiness if England beat Portugal tomorrow.

I wont, im Portuguese so i guess you unterstand :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom