• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Socreges said:
I don't think he meant stars in the sense that they're talented. But that they're each a billion years old.
hahahaha

alright, anyway, back to soccer

What are the general strengths and weaknesses England and France possess?

callous

Hooker said:
Yeah, he still hasn't decided to come to Portugal. I hope whatever problems his family may have, is resolved in the next 2 days or so.

His mom died yesterday, so I doubt we'll see him playing at all (Grønkjær).

Not good news for my team, or, of course, for him.

Maverick

Strengths of France? Pretty much everything.......everything but

HEART BABY! WOOOOOOOO!

rooney_wayne_bi_engW2.jpg

Seriously though, France is ace if they play for real. They're incredibly deep and talented at FW....Henry, Trez, Saha, etc...Midfield is incredible. The only thing suspect at this point would be Barthez in goal.

Kseutron

Most expectable french formation for tonight's game

Barthez

Gallas Thuram Sylvestre Lizarazu

Makelele Vieira

Pires Zidane

Trezeguet Henry

Volt

I'm actually gonna bee rooting for England on this one, I guess kinda to go against the grain. Everyone and their grandmothers are expecting France to win their group and maybe even the whole tournament. But I hope England can finally redeem themselves for their last few tournaments where they basically sucked.

So while I respect and like France's more technical approach to football, I'd like to see England winning this one, it would make the tournament that much more interesting..

England hasn't done anything in football worth talking about for the last 40 years, i doubt this evenings game will change anything. France will f**k them

Falch

I'm hoping too that England will beat France, but it probably won't happen. But than again, none of us expected Greece to beat Portugal.

France main weakness is it's goalkeeper. He can act very strange somethings, even with seemingly easy actions. Forward and midfield are incredibly strong, although Zidane has had a lesser season this year. They're defenders aren't that good.

England: I'm not familiar with their goalkeeper, but their defense is pretty shaky. They have Beckham on midfield though. Then there's the problem with their stikers: Owen and either Heskey or Rooney. Rooney will probably play alongside Owen.

England should be very happy with a draw.

Socreges

Banned
I bet the Croatia/Switzerland game will be more entertaining. Given that both teams need a win. A tie won't cut it for either team.

Volt

Socreges said:
I bet the Croatia/Switzerland game will be more entertaining. Given that both teams need a win. A tie won't cut it for either team.

It might be I guess : less individual talent on the field, but both are pretty good collectives, and like you said, they NEED a win to have any chance at all. Croatia were in Belgium's qualifying group, so I've seen them play a couple of times and came away slightly impressed. Their offense isn't as spectacular as most other sides, but they've got a good squad and may end up going through in this round.

My predictions :

Switzerland (0) - (2) Croatia
France (1) - (3- England

Yeah, I know that last score seems very unlikely. I guess I'm just counting on a pretty unpredictable factor : France's superstars being tired ! From what I've seen of Zidane in the last couple of Real games (remember, they lost a lot of Home games in the last weeks of the Primera), he's just not gonna cut it anymore, the man needs a rest. Makelele should be in form, but I'm not too sure about Pires, Silvestre, Viera, Henry and Desailly. I just hope England wins, it would really make things a little more ... spicy :D (lame Beckham reference).

EDIT : I hope Ivica Mornar gets some playtime today, he's ex-Anderlecht, so I wanna see him in action again :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Croatia main goalkeeper Pletikosa is injured and will miss all games on the tournament.
They shouldn't underestimate Switzerland. They are very unpredictable.

It will be interesting.

Solid

I predict the big game between France and England will end in a 2-2 tie tonight :)

The english magazines seems to very hyped about this game.

tabloid.jpg

The battle between Henry and Campbell will be interesting, not to mention Makelele vs Lampard and Zidane vs Beckham :D

I do hope England lose, not because I'm not English but due to the fact that I can't watch tv cause its all bloody england hype

cja

Ah, the usual anti-English stuff about us over-hyping and expecting too much, of course it is untrue.

England hasn't done anything in football worth talking about for the last 40 years,
Winning a World Cup is the only worth of national football, well that means the Dutch, Portugese and Spanish are complete non-entities then doesn't it? The hand of god game has never been talked about at all! We've reached WC and Euro semi-finals since and when we reach the WC finals its only the biggest teams that knock us out. Brazil in 2002 , Argentina in 1998 (unfairly), Germany 1990(unluckily), Argentina 1986 (unfairly), 1982 (without losing a game)....

Thats not what I mean, I'm just pissed that all the England coverage is distrubting my normal television viewing.

And I still feel there is a belief during every major tournament from English fans that they are going to win it. It may not be coming from the majority but it is there.

Anyway this is getting too political. I may not be able to watch the football 2nite got a bloody History AS exam tomorrow morning, so I'll probably be revising...... bugger

COCKLES

being watched
I'm expecting England to win this one actually. France will play better, but I can see Rooney and co pulling out the against the flow of play gems to sink the French.

Biggest weakpoint I can see is David James in goal....scary thought. :(

I hope England go out there from the whistle and take the game to them - that gameplan always works for England, it's only when they sit back and absorb attacks that the fall apart.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
cja said:
and when we reach the WC finals its only the biggest teams that knock us out. Brazil in 2002 , Argentina in 1998 (unfairly), Germany 1990(unluckily), Argentina 1986 (unfairly), 1982 (without losing a game)....

Well, to win you usually have to be able to beat any team, including the "biggest" ones. ;)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
If England lose 4-0 to France I'll change my tag to Loser, of course should we win, well, how does "Eating humble pie!" sound for your tag norinad? :p

I'm THAT confident. :p

Freeburn.

cja

MrPing1000 said:
Thats not what I mean, I'm just pissed that all the England coverage is distrubting my normal television viewing.
Now you sound like a girl ;)

Kiriku said:
Well, to win you usually have to be able to beat any team, including the "biggest" ones. ;)

Bah, damn them Germans and penalties, Argentines with hands and Brazilians with their football skills, it has never been that England have had mediocre players :)

The English media always over-hype England to a ridicluous degree. Every tournament they somewhow get the notion that they are world beaters, only to knock them down savagely when they fail to live up to their lofty standards. It's happened every single time and usually ends up with a scapegoat, Neville, Beckham etc..

Fact is England aren't world beaters, they are an above average team. Nothing more.

Heh my local club could beat England without even trying. Its all about class and skillz and we all know where that resides in Europe :)

You'd never know, Croatia could turn on the style against England, heck the Swiss were able to hold England to a draw at the opening of Euro 96 :p

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
:D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by norinrad21
Its all about class and skillz and we all know where that resides in Europe

Yes, Eng-Uh-Land! :D

Footballs coming home!

:D

Freeburn

ourumov

Beckham is a very mediocre player...but he is DA MASTER launching foults...
I hope France changes this on the 2nd part...At least the Henry's last action gives me hopes.

Volt

I like how England is dominating the game without really using all their resources yet. If they can keep this up, they might just win it. Rooney is doing some really impressive stuff !! He's a bit of a effing rotten b*st*rd, but he's got the technique and the will to really toy with those French defenders.

If France manage to make the equalizer though, I'm pretty sure they'll go on to win it instead. England has got the goal they needed, and I do believe they'll be hard pressed to make another one..

Fifty

The ref made some pretty shitty calls when it came to those throw ins near France's goal. Rooney didn't touch the ball either time, but the ref said he did. Whatever. England is ahead :D

Volt

norinrad21 said:
England is not dominating this game, Beckham cheated himself into getting that free kick.........sigh

Actually, they are. Not on the offensive, mind, they're just closing down Zidane and Henry almost perfectly. Remember : England's playing with 4 offensive midfielders, but all of them are also defending when they're not in the possession of the ball. France is facing a white wall everytime they get the ball, and they're not infiltrating the English lines. That's because England is defending brilliantly i.e. they're dominating the match, or to put it slightly different : they're locking the match down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom