• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

cja

ffs, it was just too much for our players, congrats to France for putting us under so much pressure we just imploded and handed you the two goals.

James, if he'd just stayed on his side of the goal. If Zidane gets it up and over the wall and under the bar fair enough but that free-kick was a yard inside the post on the side James should have been defending.

Gerrard, why oh why did he have to do a lofted back pass like that, really a draw would have been a decent result just pass it into the channel like you do week in week out for Liverpool. We just threw it away, the mental pressure got to them. Thought Beckham and Owen were England's two worst players other than that they played okay intentionally trying to contain and hold. It's going to be very difficult to go on and win the next two now.

:( :( :(

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, blame it on Heskey... pffffttt...

What an awesome, awesome game. I rolled my eyes when the English commentator said "the French fans are accepting their fate" and sure enough Zidane makes him eat his words. Twice! In Extra Time! Just un-real.

I wasn't cheering for either team to begin with, but I was pulling for France once England went up. Their comeback made for one of the most incredible games I've ever seen.

Why James dived his legs first? Why didnt he try to stop it with hands... not so likely penalty then perhaps.

I kinda feel sorry for the englishmen although I dont support their team. :\

king zell

Zidan >>>>>>> Beckham

It's doesn't mean that Beckham is bad or something.. It's just that Zidan is the best player in the world

I'm still betting on Holland

Fifty

Socreges said:
What an awesome, awesome game. I rolled my eyes when the English commentator said "the French fans are accepting their fate" and sure enough Zidane makes him eat his words. Twice! In Extra Time! Just un-real.

Heh. At least he said it was premature when the England fans started singing their anthem.

Before i hit my classes tomorrow. I'll make sure i collect my money at the Coffeeshop...........hahahahahahahahahahaha OWNAGE OWNAGE.

wow Zizou is up there with the GODS

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Heskey did fine, well even, until he decided to try defending.

Sigh...I'm just so angry. Heskey's tackle was crap and he shouldn't have made it, but I can just about excuse it. Gerrard on the other hand should be flogged. What a fucking dumbass thing to do.

I still think we'll go through. It won't be as easy as it looked to be for most of the match, but having watched the Swiss and Croatians play...they were awful. So they're a point up on us, it doesn't matter. Their draw was the best result we could have got. They won't beat France and they won't beat England, and if they somehow manage to sneak a single draw between them, that still won't be enough.

Maybe the prediction I was making for England will come true for France. You never know, this could work out well for us. If we come second in the group, we have to play the top side from Group A. And that could be Greece. Probably won't be but they played very well against Portugal and did beat Spain in the playoffs.

Way to ruin my week though England. Everyone around me's going to be depressed for the next few days, and I'll be joining them.

Solid

91 min: Zinedine Zidane
93 min: Zinedine Zidane (P)

ownedsoccer.jpg

:D :D :D

I feel sorry for England though, if Beckham scored on that penalty there would be no coming back for Le Bleu.

Sweden plays tomorrow, that will be interesting. Keep an extra eye on Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He wears number 10! :)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
I love how (some) Brits blame Beckham for the loss when the fact is that England simply lost to a better team. Not that England played bad. And Beckham certainly played well.

Trevelyon

Kiriku said:
The English hooligans will probably go berserk now. :/

Well if they do,UEFA will send the English team packing. But by the looks of things, the Zidane legion of doom have already started packing for them.

COCKLES said:
How can you blame Beckham, well struck penalty saved - it's not like he sent it flying or anything.

Penalties should be taken by the pros, as seen with France, Not Henry, Not Treuguet[sp] was standing behind the ball. It was a GOD who took that penalty....A GOD

Mama Smurf

You're all very pessimistic about England's chances of qualifying given how shit the other two teams were earlier on. It's a big, big blow to us, but before the game a loss didn't look like the end of the tournament. Now all of a sudden it does?

To be fair, Beckham is an excellent penalty taker. Everyone misses. Everyone.

cja

cybamerc said:
I love how (some) Brits blame Beckham for the loss when the fact is that England simply lost to a better team. Not that England played bad. And Beckham certainly played well.
Gotta disagree, Beckham didn't play well at all, he was a shadow of his former self, one cross for the goal and that was it, he was anonymous in open play like Owen which is why I picked those two out above.

Mike Works said:
2-1 France
2-0 Croatia
29-0 Italy
I went 2 for 3!

edit: you can not blame Beckham for that loss. if it was anyone's fault, it was that dumbass defender who kicked the ball back to the goalie which led to the winning goal.

If Beckham had scored on the PK, then yes, there's a good chance England wins, if not an assured tie. But there's a difference between a goalie making a brilliant save on a PK and kicking it back to your goalie with an attacker there, leading to a partial break and a penalty kick.

xabre

Banned
lol, talk about throwing a game away.

The English can now sing 'we got owned' to the tune of 'god save the queen'.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Better team my ass, england lost because of two stupid errors, three if you count beckhams penalty (it was a good save but beckham put it at the perfect height and position for barthez to get), england totally shut down france other than that, which is what they always intended to do (see how they beat Argentina at the world cup).

France and England were evenly matched, a draw would have been a fair result but the luck went frances way, heres hoping we meet again in the semi's.

Socreges

Banned
I actually think England played the better game; just not by much. It may have been misleading that they played very defensively in the second half. The thing is that their defense was so strong. France only placed true pressure on them during one sequence in the 88th minute.

And if the English media holds Beckham at all responsible, that would be retarded. His PK was practically identical to Zidane's. The difference was that Barthez guessed right and James didn't.

COCKLES

being watched
Lol. Anyone watching Fantasy Football on ITV? They had Gerrard hanging....

:D

Still you gotta love England, they never do anything easy which is good for entertainment value, but not good for the heart.

Kseutron

Ghost said:
Better team my ass, england lost because of two stupid errors, three if you count beckhams penalty (it was a good save but beckham put it at the perfect height and position for barthez to get), england totally shut down france other than that, which is what they always intended to do (see how they beat Argentina at the world cup).

France and England were evenly matched, a draw would have been a fair result but the luck went frances way, heres hoping we meet again in the semi's.

do you really think the 2 french goals were the result of luck ? not anyone can score such a free kick and the penalty was certainly deserved

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
cja:

> one cross for the goal and that was it

Oh come one... he worked hard all over the field and made few mistakes.

I just can't see how anyone can think England played the better game. The first half was quite even with France being slightly better before the first goal and England dominating the rest of the half. The second half belonged to France. Yes, England had a strong defense but France had the ball almost the entire time!

xabre

Banned
The game deserved a draw. France dominated possession and field position while England defended stoically. But too bad, poor English.

BTW - France should have been given a penalty earlier by a blatant English handball in their box.

Mama Smurf

DeadStar said:
My god what I wouldve given to see this game

just to see england lose

oh man...

Are you not English?

Maybe you're like this retarded girl I used to know. She supported Blackburn, so hated England (despite being English) and supported Ireland 'cos Blackburn players were playing for them at the time. Oh and she didn't like Beckham playing for England.

I mean, WTF?

Fantasy Football is good, they're trying not to seem depressed, but David Baddiel with his arms crossed...his heart's just not in it.

Fifty

Maybe next game they'll keep Rooney in for the full 90. He's playing with the most passion and skill out there. Hopefully that will be the first lesson Sven learns.

calder

Trevelyon said:
gazza1.jpg

Gazza feels your pain Ghost, just let it all out man.
biggrin.gif

ROOFLES. I don't remember the context of the pic, but my god it looks sad.

Gascoigne is still one of my favourite players ever though, if only because he scored one amazing goal for England when I was a kid that was freaky amazing. Shame about all the other crap in his life, sure took the shine off what should have been a proud career.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mama Smurf said:
Are you not English?

Maybe you're like this retarded girl I used to know. She supported Blackburn, so hated England (despite being English) and supported Ireland 'cos Blackburn players were playing for them at the time. Oh and she didn't like Beckham playing for England.

I mean, WTF?

Fantasy Football is good, they're trying not to seem depressed, but David Baddiel with his arms crossed...his heart's just not in it.
Definately not English :)

COCKLES

being watched
Fifty said:
Maybe next game they'll keep Rooney in for the full 90. He's playing with the most passion and skill out there. Hopefully that will be the first lesson Sven learns.

Well the element we worried about most, the defence, turned out to be the most solid part of the game. They were fantastic, especially Leadley King who proved himself in the best way.

Rooney was England's MOTM. Disaster taking him off.

Owen....hmmmmm I can't help feeling his glory days are behind him. His been a bit medicore all season for Liverpool anad was non-existant today...then again so was Henry for France. Not really a strikers game.

Gerrard - didn't do anything except giftwrap France their win. Probably English footballs most overrated player IMHO - I really don't see how he gets such glowing praise, especially with Liverpool in such a sorry state at the moment.

Sven should send an SOS to Shearer.

Trevelyon

calder said:
ROOFLES. I don't remember the context of the pic, but my god it looks sad.

Semi's of the Italia 90, England went down to West Germany in penalties. Now, the Italia 90 squad was an English side you could be proud of even if you weren't English, fuck Gary Lineker was a god in that tournament.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Kseutron said:
do you really think the 2 french goals were the result of luck ? not anyone can score such a free kick and the penalty was certainly deserved

France wouldnt have had either the Free Kick or the Penalty if it wasnt for English mistakes, so yes it was down to luck. Especially the penalty, Gerrard backpass can only be described as a mental spasm. The free kick was genius of course but heskey never should have given it away.

cja

Mama Smurf said:
Oh come one... he worked hard all over the field and made few mistakes.
Maybe I have rose-tinted memories but he seemed to run up the wing more, get more crosses in... Thought he was better after he missed the pen some good balls getting involved in link-up play with Vassel and Heskey. Lizerazu seemed to be attacking Beckham more than Beckham attacted Lizerazu and that just shouldn't be the case.

Mama Smurf said:
David Baddiel with his arms crossed...his heart's just not in it.
Sounds like normal Baddiel! Who was Danny Murphy's gf? Oh boy, Murphy would have scored that pen :(

Socreges said:
The difference was that Barthez guessed right and James didn't.
Barthez had the advantage of facing Beckham hundreds of times in practice at penalties he probably picked up on head movement, eyes, how Becks was making his run up, etc.

Gad, damn, they're making it the first thing on the news :(

Socreges

Banned
Sven should send an SOS to Shearer.
What's the deal there? Was he just not selected or did he choose not to play? In fact, I can't ever remember a time when Shearer has played for England, although I'm sure he has.

Its all over the news.

deep down i'm kind of shocked England gave it all away. Those last changes to their team was what did it.

COCKLES

being watched
Socreges said:
What's the deal there? Was he just not selected or did he choose not to play? In fact, I can't ever remember a time when Shearer has played for England, although I'm sure he has.

He retired from international football a few years ago...but kinda got his second wind over the last few years. This season wasn't great, but previous season for him with Newcastle he did really well. I'd take Shearer over Heskey any day of the week. Sven should have begged him to come.

One thing I thought was funny....where were the French fans? Apart from one corner of the stadium it was all England - I remember reading an article about football in France, it's regarded as a 2nd tier game mostly played by immigrants? Even Henry has said the thing he loves most about English football is the grounds are always full, where in france their usually always empty.

Mama Smurf

Shearer's retired from international football.

You've quoted me with something I didn't say there cja, not sure how that happened.

Still...scored against France! First team in forever to do it. I don't think they'll play any harder matches than that this tournament. Except for two stupid moments, England totally shut them out.

Hooker

Fifty said:
It'll be hard to top this in the upcoming matches.
Pretty easy actually.

The game wasn't all THAT good. The ending was just godly! Next derby... Holland - Germany :D (Can't say if that will be a good game. It is on paper but the only way for Germany to stop Holland's game (offense) is to hinder every ball going forward and putting a couple of guys our forwards. It'll be a very unattractive game if this happens.)

Fifty

Yeah. But the ending is what we all remember :D Anyway, I hope that there are plenty more exciting matches in the works. I'm really looking forward to Holland and Sweeden's matches.

Gooan the Zizou!

Being a Scotsman it galls me to say I actually feel sorry for the England team, but not for the pundits... Des Lynam is the biggest twat... at half time he was already talking about winning the freakin tournament... hehe his face at the end was priceless!!

However, i reckon England will still go pretty far... Rooney was quality and i was impressed with King...

But hail Zidane : it's that kind of quality under pressure that got him the top European player of the past 50 years, though I still think Kenny Dalglish shoulda been top :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom