• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
My sarcasm meter must be broken...
He's had one fantastic year, a very good one, then a decent yera (considering his leverage of course, not comparing his performance square to some nobodies) and two pretty shitty ones. Hardly makes him the best striker in the world, that's some hyperbole. Even not bringin' Messi or CR to the table, for all the flak he gets Ibra is on a whole other planet. RVP, Di Natale, Eto'o, Milito, Robben (more of a WF) and Gomez all performed better than him and there's plenty others. Still, Villa is a fantastic striker no doubt.

This year doesn't count because he's been injured. Last year he was great. The year before he was fantastic. The year before that he was fantastic. The year before that he was fantastic. Consistently scored over 20 goals every year for Valencia and the top goalscorer for Spain in that time makes him one of the best over that period of time.

RvP has had two great seasons out of the last 5. Milito has had two (I think your Inter bias is speaking there a little, he was fine for Genoa I guess). I'd give you Eto'o. Gomez has had two or three. Di Natale I don't know enough about...

But out of all of them - strikers, not Messi or Ronaldo because they're on another level -, Villa and Eto'o

Fry

He's had one fantastic year, a very good one, then a decent yera (considering his leverage of course, not comparing his performance square to some nobodies) and two pretty shitty ones. Hardly makes him the best striker in the world, that's some hyperbole. Even not bringin' Messi or CR to the table, for all the flak he gets Ibra is on a whole other planet. RVP, Di Natale, Eto'o, Milito, Robben (more of a WF) and Gomez all performed better than him and there's plenty others. Still, Villa is a fantastic striker no doubt.

That's what I said months ago when they were comparing Villa to Ibra. I was the only one actually saying Ibra has always been better than Villa.
I was actually laughed at for saying it.

Villa is 30. He spent 5 years with Valencia, winning only one title. I don't remember much of his time at Valencia, to be honest.

He was one of the best strikers in the world during 10/11 season, when Barca won all titles and he killed it at the WC. That's when it counts, when you win stuff.

Wilbur

Banned
That's what I said months ago when they were comparing Villa to Ibra. I was the only one actually saying Ibra has always been better than Villa.

Villa is 30. He spent 5 years with Valencia, winning only one title. I don't remember much of his time at Valencia, to be honest.

He was one of the best strikers in the world during 10/11 season, when Barca won all titles and he killed it at the WC. That's when it counts, when you win stuff.

Don't get what him playing for Valencia and only winning one title has to do with anything. Gerrard doesn't win much but weren't you one of the fans arguing he was great recently? I might be wrong... but there's lots of fantastic players that don't win many honours.

He was better at Valencia than he was at Barca.

sneaky77

so because Valencia only won 1 title.. Villa wasn't good? uh? Villa was amazing with Valencia almost every yr he was with them.

Wilbur

Banned

Sorry Fry, I have to quote this again. Schweinsteiger was shit this year, right? And Gomez. And Kroos. And Lahm, and Badstuber. Because Bayern didn't win anything.

The reason Valencia were third most of the time in Villa's years were because he was there. I don't see him only winning 1 title as being bad, I see it as being great that he managed to achieve that with Valencia.

I'm really confused at this...

Clegg

RVP has only become an effective goalscorer over the last 2 seasons so he shouldn't be in this discussion. Di Natale also has only started scoring goals regularly in the last few seasons. Zlatan is a prick so he doesn't count. Milito is a good player I'll give you that. Robben isn't a striker and doesn't score enough goals to be counted. Gomez is a good poacher but his finishing can be erratic and he's rubbish once you ask him to do anything other than put the ball in the net. I'd only have Eto'o on the same level of consistency as Villa.

I'm not just talking about goals being scored but overall contribution to the team.

It was only my opinion but Villa has done it all in the last 5 years. Top goalscorer in Euro 2008. Top scorer for Spain in the World Cup. Becomes Spains top ever goalscorer by scoring more goals than Raul in half the games. He's done it at the very highest level for the last 5 years.

Fry

He was better at Valencia than he was at Barca.

That's why he isn't one of the best strikers in the world anymore!

Like I said, I don't remember much of his time at Valencia. But what's the point of scoring loads of goals and never win anything? That's like Van Persie right now. People will remember him for being a very good player, but won't be considered one of the best because his goals didn't count for anything at the end.

Wilbur

Banned
That's why he isn't one of the best strikers in the world anymore!

Like I said, I don't remember much of his time at Valencia. But what's the point of scoring loads of goals and never win anything? That's like Van Persie right now. People will remember him for being a very good player, but won't be considered one of the best because his goals didn't count for anything at the end.

What? Johan Cruyff and Holland never won anything but everyone remembers them. Everyone remembers the Newcastle of the mid-90s with Keegan. You can leave a lasting impression without winning everything.

Villa achieved so much at Valencia, and carried that form onto the best team in the world. I just find it mad you're saying he isn't great because he hasn't won much. Individually he's one of the best modern strikers.

Fry

What? Johan Cruyff and Holland never won anything but everyone remembers them. Everyone remembers the Newcastle of the mid-90s with Keegan. You can leave a lasting impression without winning everything.

Johan Cruyff is one of the best players in history... that's not Villa's case.

I don't remember Newcastle of the mid-90s. :^)

Wilbur

Banned
Johan Cruyff is one of the best players in history... that's not Villa's case.

I don't remember Newcastle of the mid-90s. :^)

I would say on a list of the great modern strikers, Villa would be very high up.

And well... you didn't follow the PL then I guess. But in Premier League history, they're one of the famous teams despite not winning anything.

Linius

Villa achieved so much at Valencia, and carried that form onto the best team in the world. I just find it mad you're saying he isn't great because he hasn't won much. Individually he's one of the best modern strikers.
I think that Valencia fans will remember him well and still do that in 15 years or so. The rest of the world not so much I guess. Simply because Valencia didn't won that much. Doesn't make him a lesser striker, but I don't think he will be truly remembered by many people for his Valencia years.

Wilbur

Banned
I think that Valencia fans will remember him well and still do that in 15 years or so. The rest of the world not so much I guess. Simply because Valencia didn't won that much. Doesn't make him a lesser striker, but I don't think he will be truly remembered by many people for his Valencia years.

I think he'll be remembered as one of the great strikers of the 2000s, or up to now anyway. Among football fans he will; I think sometimes people underestimate how much people remember. Alan Shearer won one thing in his entire career, but he's the Premier League's highest ever scorer and people remember him for that. Football fans know he won the league with Blackburn and scored a ton of goals for Newcastle.

Villa is one of La Liga's top scorers and he is Spain's top scorer.

Holy shit haha, I can't believe I've walked into a thread where David Villa isn't getting handjobs from the entire world

Fry

Sorry Fry, I have to quote this again. Schweinsteiger was shit this year, right? And Gomez. And Kroos. And Lahm, and Badstuber. Because Bayern didn't win anything.

Funny thing is that Gomez is considered shit by most, no matter how many goals he scores. :lol
And you're twisting words there, I didn't say Villa was shit for not winning many titles with Valencia.
The initial comparison was him x Ibra. Ibra has been just as good as him if not better throughout his career, the difference is he won a league title every season. That surely must be considered when you put a player in a pedestal and compare him to others?

I really like Villa, he made the WC special for me. But I don't think he's one of the best strikers in the world now (or before his injury), and won't be considered one of the best after he retires.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think tomorrow France will have too much for England...

I predict a comfortable 2-0 victory for France...

Sweden vs Ukraine I don't think the home fans will be happy...I predict a 1-0 victory for Sweden.

Wilbur

Banned
Funny thing is that Gomez is considered shit by most, no matter how many goals he scores. :lol

If he keeps on doing that for 3 more seasons like Villa, Messi and Ronaldo did consistently I'm sure he'll be remembered as one of the top strikers. Ruud van Nistelrooy was never the greatest player (better than Gomez), but people remember him because of his remarkable scoring record. I think he only won one league title with United.

And you're twisting words there, I didn't say Villa was shit for not winning many titles with Valencia.

Well you did use this:

Villa is 30. He spent 5 years with Valencia, winning only one title.

as a point of criticism.

The initial comparison was him x Ibra. Ibra has been just as good as him if not better throughout his career, the difference is he won a league title every season. That surely must be considered when you put a player in a pedestal and compare him to others?

I don't think so really. It's part of Ibra's qualities that he's won a lot of titles, and he probably is a more talented player, but striker? Scorer of goals incredibly consistently without being a massive wanker?

Like I say, Shearer won one title in his entire pro career I think, yet people will remember him fondly. Same with RvN. The great players just get remembered.

Linius

I think he'll be remembered as one of the great strikers of the 2000s, or up to now anyway. Among football fans he will; I think sometimes people underestimate how much people remember. Alan Shearer won one thing in his entire career, but he's the Premier League's highest ever scorer and people remember him for that. Football fans know he won the league with Blackburn and scored a ton of goals for Newcastle.

Villa is one of La Liga's top scorers and he is Spain's top scorer.

Holy shit haha, I can't believe I've walked into a thread where David Villa isn't getting handjobs from the entire world
At a Dutch forum where I come often not everyone was that fund of Villa. Not that he's bad, but he ain't one of the best out there.

Also, I think he will be better remembered for this goals than anything else.

Hey Pallitax, you should visit the real footy thread too. Wilbury won't bite, I promise.

Linius

Hey Pallitax, you should visit the real footy thread too. Wilbury won't bite, I promise.
You calling me Pallitax suggests you know me from somewhere else? :p

Or you just know your fantasy books. And I've never been that active on Gaf, I dind't expect there to be an football community since this is an American website after all :p

Surprised Ukraine are favourites over Sweden tomorrow

At the bookmakers? Guess people think that the home advantage gives them wings. I personally think Sweden will win.

I really like Villa, he made the WC special for me. But I don't think he's one of the best strikers in the world now (or before his injury), and won't be considered one of the best after he retires.

The titles thing is silly. So you think if they put Ibra on those Valencia teams that they would have won titles left and right?

Clegg

I think Villa is one of the great because he's done so much at the highest level of the game. His record for Spain is phenomenal.

I'll quote an earlier post I made

It was only my opinion but Villa has done it all in the last 5 years. Top goalscorer in Euro 2008. Top scorer for Spain in the World Cup. Becomes Spains top ever goalscorer by scoring more goals than Raul in half the games. He's done it at the very highest level for the last 5 years.

It seems like he's being underrated because of the time he spent at Valencia not winning trophies.

He also scored a cracker against United in the Champions League final.

The shithead.

You calling me Pallitax suggests you know me from somewhere else? :p

Or you just know your fantasy books. And I've never been that active on Gaf, I dind't expect there to be an football community since this is an American website after all :p
There was this slowchat on some Dutch gaming forum that I frequented up until recently. But yeah, you should join the cool kids in community. Wouldn't mind having an extra poster that follows the Eredevisie between all the Premier League banter.

I'm Fappert by the way.

Wilbur

Banned
There was this slowchat on some Dutch gaming forum that I frequented up until recently. But yeah, you should join the cool kids in community. Wouldn't mind having an extra poster that follows the Eredevisie between all the Premier League banter.

I'm Fappert by the way.

you fucking disgust me

Personally I would rank Villa as one of the best of all the modern strikers. Having scored 20+ goals every season for the past 10 years and 51 goals in 82 appearances for Spain is insane. I can't name 1 striker who has been as consistant as he has his whole career.

Wilbur

Banned
Personally I would rank Villa as one of the best of all the modern strikers. Having scored 20+ goals every season for the past 10 years and 51 goals in 82 appearances for Spain is insane. I can't name 1 striker who has been as consistant as he has his whole career.

I can only think of Shearer really, and over the last 5 years Eto'o, Ronaldo and Messi. Villa's incredible

K1LLER7

Same, makes you think how good a player Lampard is when he scores 15-20+ goals a season from midfield.

Linius

I'm Fappert by the way.
Oh it's you!

I'll be checking football Gaf in the near future. With the summer break there won't be much to talk about now :p

Might have to sign up to that. How do they expect to make money? Peple who read that clause will just bet on France and then it's a win win situation (or rather, a win-no lose situation).

Unless it's a draw.

it's only for certain things. they're not stupid.

Paul has a point. Here are the odds on their site.

France WIN - 2.50
DRAW - 3.10

With their England clause (if England win, all bets are refunded), they realise this will encourage people to put a lot of money either on a draw or a France win. For example, bet £10 on a draw and you could earn £31. If you stake that £10 on a French victory, you could earn £25 profit. So what are people going to do? Place a tenner on each realising that they'll make at least £5 profit regardless, or have all their money returned and you can withdraw that money freely.

So they are essentially giving away £5. Maybe they're trying to build customer loyalty.

Wilbur

Banned
Same, makes you think how good a player Lampard is when he scores 15-20+ goals a season from midfield.

Yeah Lampard's criminally underrated by a lot of people; it seemed to be that you had to like either him or Gerrard for a while. But Lampard's been brilliant for almost 10 years now.

Oh it's you!

I'll be checking football Gaf in the near future. With the summer break there won't be much to talk about now :p

Yeah, we kinda just talk about food, movies, dicks and Manchester City marketing. Come back after the Euros :)

Shame Eto'o went to Russia.

:(

Let fans of other leagues enjoy world class players.

Kerimov and Anzhi are gonna steal all your favourite players and send them to Russia to wither and die.

roflbot.jpg

Clegg

Football gaf is probably the most active sports community on gaf.

Its on the 11 OT this season and each OT is 20,000 posts.

We post way too much :/

Linius

Football gaf is probably the most active sports community on gaf.

Its on the 11 OT this season and each OT is 20,000 posts.

We post way too much :/
There's lots to bitch about when it comes to football :p

Just to throw it out there, I'm a long time Ajax fan and besides that I follow Barcelona.

Good to know at least. Maybe I finally lose that junior tag if I become a little more active.

Wilbur

Banned

I'm lying on my sofa dying of horrendous
bruised
rib injuries and revelling in lovely football. Posting lots gives me shit to do!

Besides when I'm off painkillers I'm going to start heroin and never talk to anyone again

Just to throw it out there, I'm a long time Ajax fan and besides that I follow Barcelona.

Good to know at least. Maybe I finally lose that junior tag if I become a little more active.

Ajax yayyyy Barca boooo

Clegg

Post it on the football thread.

Just mention the teams you support and stuff like that.

There aren't that many Dutch posters so it's always good to hear about leagues that we don't really know that much about.

K1LLER7

I'm lying on my sofa dying of horrendous
bruised
rib injuries and revelling in lovely football. Posting lots gives me shit to do!

Besides when I'm off painkillers I'm going to start heroin and never talk to anyone again

Ajax yayyyy Barca boooo

lol hope you get better man :)

looks like we might have another Fady.

Post it on the football thread.

Just mention the teams you support and stuff like that.

There aren't that many Dutch posters so it's always good to hear about leagues that we don't really know that much about.
I might actually be able to talk about the Eredevisie more often now. Good thing he supports Ajax. As a Feyenoord supporter we'll get along just fine I think. ;)

Linius

I came to visit this thread because of the fast .gif services but now I'm still here. So much for going to bed early.

Too bad I'll have to miss tomorrow's (and the day after that) matches. Work, work, work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom