• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
pirlo and di natale are footballing gods. i cannot believe di natale never played for a big club.

good result and good performance from italy. but why is giacherrini on this team? he did nothing today. i'd rather see balzaretti or nocerino there.

good to see that the 3-5-2 works better than trying to shoe-horn montolivo into a trequartista.

Wes

venison crêpe
SNN1101AN_1525817a.jpg

projections_1525795a.jpg

The Sun being subtle as usual.

Wilbur

Banned
pirlo and di natale are footballing gods. i cannot believe di natale never played for a big club.

good result and good performance from italy. but why is giacherrini on this team? he did nothing today. i'd rather see balzaretti or nocerino there.

good to see that the 3-5-2 works better than trying to shoe-horn montolivo into a trequartista.

How old is Di Natale now? I suppose Udinese's recent success means that he's been content to stay

I thought Giaccherini was pretty good, he provided pretty good defensive cover... should have tracked Fabregas better though. I like Nocerino, ultimate swag

holy fuck Sun, how embarrassing. Can't wait to have a hologram on the front of the Gherkin and Primark Oxford Street saying thanks from France

Is there any need really?

I would say stay classy sun but more apt:

'stay cunty sun'

Oh and any new members of footy Gaf have to adhere to the rule of adopting Blackburn Rovers as a second team and pretending to like me

That's why he isn't one of the best strikers in the world anymore!

Like I said, I don't remember much of his time at Valencia. But what's the point of scoring loads of goals and never win anything? That's like Van Persie right now. People will remember him for being a very good player, but won't be considered one of the best because his goals didn't count for anything at the end.

Wilbury is right here. Im from Valencia and Villa was so great because he kept afloat one team that without him would never had a chance of being third at that time, and being third in the spanish league is not bad at all, as you are probably behind real madrid and barcelona, with some really good teams also behind.
The whole team of Valencia was only great when Benitez was the coach (well, there was other times, years and years ago), most of the time, we are just there, with our highs and our lows, and when a great striker or player is playing with Valencia, they truly shine.
So you can be really great without having to win anything as Wilbury said.

Overdoziz

Banned
Football gaf is probably the most active sports community on gaf.

Its on the 11 OT this season and each OT is 20,000 posts.

We post way too much :/
And I thought HaloGAF posted a lot (13th OT since Reach came out in Sept 2010) but that's insane.

Wilbury is right here. Im from Valencia and Villa was so great because he kept afloat one team that without him would never had a chance of being third at that time, and being third in the spanish league is not bad at all, as you are probably behind real madrid and barcelona, with some really good teams also behind.
The whole team of Valencia was only great when Benitez was the coach (well, there was other times, years and years ago), most of the time, we are just there, with our highs and our lows, and when a great striker or player is playing with Valencia, they truly shine.

You're from Valencia? What can you tell about Unai Emery? He will be coaching Spartak Moscow next season and I hope he's not good enough to make them non-shit.

jtb

Banned

plus, arsenal hasn't won fuck all in six (wait, is it seven now?) years, but players like cesc are
were at the time
world class. right?

right?

:(

What do you guys think of Swedens chances tomorrow? It feels like a win or die game.

I think both teams realize that its a must win so both will be looking to score. And I think that with a veteran squad that if Ukraine scores first they won't start sitting back like Poland did in front of the home crowd. I think it should be an entertaining game. Sweden I feel is a better team but obviously Ukraine is playing at home. It's pretty much a toss up.

On a slightly related note, I'm bummed that Voronin cut his beautiful ponytail. :(

That's why he isn't one of the best strikers in the world anymore!

Like I said, I don't remember much of his time at Valencia. But what's the point of scoring loads of goals and never win anything? That's like Van Persie right now. People will remember him for being a very good player, but won't be considered one of the best because his goals didn't count for anything at the end.
I now that you already got a lot of answers on this but I still wanted to chip in.

This whole "goals didn't count for anything" is just silly. It seems like something that a guy who is supporting: Barca, Man Utd, Bayern M and Juventus would say. Titles is not everything, No matter where in the table your team end up you will get remembered if you make an effort that stands out. Many fans will remember their team going up one division or getting to play in Europe for the first time in years much more than fans of constantly winning clubs will remember a trophy.

Maybe he won't be remembered by the wide audience for that long, he probably wouldn't have anyway, except for the likes of Messi and Maradona, you will face away anyway. But in your team you will become eternal, with or without trophies: Just look at Shearer or Le God.

Ibra on the other hand, yeah where will he be remembered? Swedens biggest star in I don't know how long, and he has been winning things everywhere. But where ever he goes, if he just stays for two seasons he will just be one of all players. No matter how many goalscoring records he will break or how many trophies he wins.

Arnie

He's a very hard-working forward...who also reads the game quite well to make those runs and poach goals...

He reminds me of a young Pierluigi Casiraghi. He did very well for Swansea...he was really prolific infact for them.

Rodgers signed him on loan when Swansea were in the Championship. He wasn't considered good enough for Chelsea though.

I'm not a football fanatic but from what i've seen (Roma this year + his one game with the Azzurri) i like him a lot. Very mobile and a good finisher. I hope we'll see more of him this Euro.

Yeah, I've watched a fair bit of Roma this year... I like him. He pressures pretty hard, quite a good finisher, fast. It'd be nice to see him stay there for a bit to be fair rather than move around. I really like him.
Sounds promising, just realised he's in the Italy squad too. Talksport linked us to him randomly without any actual reasoning other than his previous with Rodgers. Agree with Wilbury though, think it's best if he stays in Italy for a bit and works on earning a place in the national team and building his physique a bit.

Linius

Was searching for a .gif from this. What a great touch was that :D

Too bad he's also crazy as fuck, he can be such a great player.

Arnie

I thought Balotelli was really good today, deer in the headlights moment aside. When Di Natale came on to replace him, despite getting the goal, I thought Italy's overall play dropped as they didn't have his power or height to receive and redistribute the ball further up the field.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah the people saying drop Balo were a bit hyperbolic I think, caught in the moment.

I was impressed with Italy as a whole to be honest. I think they've been massively underrated in the media, they're dark horses which is weird. The Juventus lads are great, De Rossi was excellent, Cassano's a supremely intelligent player and Maggio is full of energy. Only Motta didn't do too much today, I'd have swapped him for Nocerino or moved De Rossi up if there's a viable replacement for him in the middle. Shame Barzagli's out.

Big-E

Fuck having work in the early morning causing me to miss the match. Looks like Italy played ok today which is awesome as Italy doesn't normally play well at all in the group stage.

Arnie

Yeah the people saying drop Balo were a bit hyperbolic I think, caught in the moment.

I was impressed with Italy as a whole to be honest. I think they've been massively underrated in the media, they're dark horses which is weird. The Juventus lads are great, De Rossi was excellent, Cassano's a supremely intelligent player and Maggio is full of energy. Only Motta didn't do too much today, I'd have swapped him for Nocerino or moved De Rossi up if there's a viable replacement for him in the middle. Shame Barzagli's out.

Maggio was fucking sensational, beat his man with such frightening consistency. I think he could improve his ability to use the ball around the box though, he's very static, freezing up and waiting for opportunities to open up in front of him, rather than creating them himself. It's only frustrating because he's definitely capable of destroying defenders around the box, but seems reticent to do so.

I'd include Nocerino if just for his beard.

Wilbur

Banned
Maggio was fucking sensational, beat his man with such frightening consistency. I think he could improve his ability to use the ball around the box though, he ends up freezing up and waiting for opportunities to open up in front of him, rather than creating them himself. It's only frustrating because he's definitely capable of destroying defenders around the box, but seems reticent to do so.

I'd include Nocerino if just for his beard.

Yeah he did an Ashley Young and just stopped near the corner of the box but Alba was shaken; that's the problem with Spain, all their defensive cover is in the middle of the pitch, there's no way Iniesta was getting near to covering Alba and Maggio was getting behind them regularly. If he can get behind them and slide Cassano in instead of slowing down around the corner of the box then they'll be able to take on a fair few teams.

Nocerino and De Rossi would make the hottest gay couple.

Chris R

Sucks having to avoid OT until I can watch both games after getting home with all these title changes.

Thinking England and Sweden will win tomorrow but we will see.

Oxx

England's style of play is going to make people in here so mad.

I just hope there is a bevvy of English beauties in the crowd to distract them.

rodvik

Believe:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.
And gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-yZNMWFqvM

henry-v-prays.jpg

english_flag_george_and_the_dragon_postcard-p239833891967688670envli_400.jpg

hylje

The England team visited an orphanage in Poland today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Igor, aged 6.

Saw interview with Hodgson yesterday and basically he was apologizing in advance. There is no hope.

Salazar

I wouldn't count out England just yet.

Of course, sentimentally, I'd love quite a few of the players in that squad to get somewhere.*

*I would like John Terry to injure himself as soon as possible. It's the only way to prise him out of the goddamned setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom