• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

LFC killed that song with their crappy cover!

Amazing amazing atmosphere at the end. Went to Croke Park earlier this year, wish I could hear that song ring round that ground.

It's an amazing stadium.

Our football team doesn't actually play there though.

The Gaelic football and hurling championship finals are held there every September.

They are amateur sports but still get 80,000 sellouts for the knockout stages.

Kabouter

Man, my textedit file with thread titles is growing quite swiftly. List so far (omitting ones I changed almost immediately):
Original:
Euro 2012 |OT|: The European Championship Finals
Changed:
Euro 2012 |OT| of praying everyone lost their vuvuzela
Euro 2012 |OT| of the wrath of the TYTON
Euro 2012 |OT| of Czechmate
Euro 2012 |OT| of Dehli sips of Orange Crush
Euro 2012 |OT| of Portugal will Neuer score
Euro 2012 |OT| of Baloltelli and Trolles
Euro 2012 |OT| of Croatian goals being Given
Euro 2012 |OT| of Obelix snoozing on the sidelines
Euro 2012 |OT| of Sweden getting ShevchenKO'd
Euro 2012 |OT| of Greece unable to cover Czechs
Euro 2012 |OT| of Russia fearing another Kuban Missile Crisis
Euro 2012 |OT| of GAF imitating prescient cephalopods
Euro 2012 |OT| of Bendtner does what Ronaldon't
Euro 2012 |OT| of Holland going for the Löw score
Euro 2012 |OT| of Pirlove and Croatians in the mist
Euro 2012 |OT| of speaking in tongues
Euro 2012 |OT| of Ireland winning Eurovision

It's an amazing stadium.

Our football team doesn't actually play there though.

The Gaelic football and hurling championship finals are held there every September.

They are amateur sports but still get 80,000 sellouts for the knockout stages.
Yeah learnt a lot about the Gaelic sports and the controversy about English sports being played there. Interesting stuff. But yeah it's an awesome ground.

Sappy113

I have no idea how many goals we would have to score to get through in that scenario. Don't count on it, though. Ireland will give us a fit to try and save face this Euro and also want to stick it to us for Trapattoni. We will need everything to go right on that final day.

You could score a bazillion, still wouldn't help.

Rules in case of even number of points:

1/ Most points in games between involved teams. If Croatia and Spain draw, and Italy wins against Ireland, all three teams will have a draw against the other two teams (3 each), so on to next tiebreaker.

2/ Best goal-difference between involved teams. Three-way tie, with ties in all three games? On to next tie-breaker.

3/ Most scored goals in games between involved teams. If Croatia and Spain tie with 2+ goals each, those two teams win this tiebreaker against Italy.

Only after that will the tiebreaker involve best goal difference in all three games of the group stage.

gurasa

untitled-2hskby.gif
Can't wait for the new season.

Thank you Spain for entertaining us tonight.

Munin

Singing won't change your pathetic performance, Ireland

I'm happy that the Irish fans are above stupid shit like this. I haven't seen a more appreciative, grateful and unwaveringly positive crowd during this tournament, and they were cheering for a team of players that still held their heads up high in any situation and gave all they could instead of whining and complaining over every tackle like the diva-infested major teams.

Ireland, you have my deepest respect.

CassSept

They got annihilated but daaaamn, they do have some amazing fans.

I have a question, are there any Dutch around? I wonder how trustworthy "Volkskrant" is? Because apparently they broke news that the racism story last week (black Dutch players targeted by monkey noises) was actually made up. I'd really like to now, as this was one of the incidents I was really ashamed by.

1/ Most points in games between involved teams. If Croatia and Spain draw, and Italy wins against Ireland, all three teams will have a draw against the other two teams (3 each), so on to next tiebreaker.

2/ Best goal-difference between involved teams. Three-way tie, with ties in all three games? On to next tie-breaker.

3/ Most scored goals in games between involved teams. If Croatia and Spain tie with 2+ goals each, those two teams win this tiebreaker against Italy.

Only after that will the tiebreaker involve best goal difference in all three games of the group stage.
So based on this, Italy can win and can go through with either a Spain or Croatia victory OR a 1-1 tie? If it is a 2-2 tie then Italy do not make it through.

Am I correct here?

That's actually not so bad chances for Italy. Still sucks to have to rely on other teams. Our own fault.

ektoll

Thanks for this! Now let's hope Spain will beat Croatia and that Italy remember how to keep an advantage ;)

Clegg

Congrats to Spain btw.

They are such a phenomenally talented side.

Their midfield were just on another plane of existence to ours.

The fans seemed to mix well with the Irish fans too.

Great stuff. Hope they do well in the latter stages of the competition.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What did he say?

They were talking to one of the Irish players on the pitch who was saying how great the support was at the end and they cut back to Roy Keane in the studio who says the team should do more and not just expect fans to come to games for a sing song.

I don't know what he expected the guy to say.

derdriu

I'm happy that the Irish fans are above stupid shit like this. I haven't seen a more appreciative, grateful and unwaveringly positive crowd during this tournament, and they were cheering for a team of players that still held their heads up high in any situation and gave all they could instead of whining and complaining over every tackle like the diva-infested major teams.

Ireland, you have my deepest respect.

I have to agree, the fans were great, with all the fighting, flares and racist crap that is present in EURO2012, it was wonderful to see fans singing and having fun despite of their team playing a crap game. Loved the pic with the Spanish and Irish fans playing foosball :)

Clydefrog

So based on this, Italy can win and can go through with either a Spain or Croatia victory OR a 1-1 tie? If it is a 2-2 tie then Italy do not make it through.

Am I correct here?

That's actually not so bad chances for Italy. Still sucks to have to rely on other teams. Our own fault.

you can predict the rest of the group stage and tournament via this excel spreadsheet: http://www.excely.com/download/euro2012.zip

updated up through today's games

Kazerei

Banned
Italy will surely defeat Ireland, but I'm hoping Croatia makes it through to the next phase. They need a win or a 2-2 draw, right? Damn, that'll be tough.

Bet365 are offering 7/1 on Ireland DNB vs Italy. Will stick €10 on that :)

Ireland to Win is just 9/1 on the smae site, so DNB seems very high to me.

Clegg

That is your opinion, but if I was Irish, I would be looking at Croatia and Denmark and asking why we couldn't at least be performing up to their level.

I don't think Croatia is a good example tbh.

They're a genuinely good team.

We don't have the quality, especially in midfield, to challenge the better teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom