• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fuck I hate PTI. They covered EURO 2012 on its opening day... but only discussed some Balotelli/racism-that-hasnt-happened-yet story. They know what gets people's attention, I guess.

There we go! Born and raised?

Look at PTI's coverage of MMA. They pretty much like only the traditional big four murican sports and are very unapologetic about it. It's annoying because I wouldn't mind hearing their takes on things, however uneducated, instead of just lol soccer how do you pronounce that guy's name like 95% of espn personalities handle it.

I'm really surprised no one is stating how tomorrow's Germany - Portugal game will be a massacre.

Even if you were a neutral viewer, what the Germans will do to the Portuguese will be cringe-worthy. I feel sorry for them already.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm really surprised no one is stating how tomorrow's Germany - Portugal game will be a massacre.

Even if you were a neutral viewer, what the Germans will do to the Portuguese will be cringe-worthy. I feel sorry for them already.

I wish :( I am German and I am not as confident as you are =p

Socreges

Banned
Look at PTI's coverage of MMA. They pretty much like only the traditional big four murican sports and are very unapologetic about it. It's annoying because I wouldn't mind hearing their takes on things, however uneducated, instead of just lol soccer how do you pronounce that guy's name like 95% of espn personalities handle it.
I hope you're not counting hockey as the fourth! They'll cover it during the SCF, of course, but otherwise it's just a superficial, scribbled-notes-aided analysis of the latest violent incident.

Like you said, they're unapologetic. It's just how it is. What bothers me is that I see EURO 2012 a few notches down so I don't bother changing the channel... and then it's just a sexy non-story.

I know right haha. So confusing when he says he plays in defense left or right. After watching 7 minutes of him doing freestyle tricks its just unexpected lol.

There was a running joke at my old school that all defenders were failed strikers and attacking midfielders who had to settle to play in defence just to get on the pitch :p

Socreges

Banned
I know right haha. So confusing when he says he plays in defense left or right. After watching 7 minutes of him doing freestyle tricks its just unexpected lol.
Best bit was when he went to retrieve his ball behind the net. Definitely not something a true future superstar would be reduced to doing.

There was a running joke at my old school that all defenders were failed strikers and attacking midfielders who had to settle to play in defence just to get on the pitch :p
When I was playing well above my quality several years ago they kept trying to put me in as a LB or RB. Hated it. I have no idea how people play as defenders their entire life and never miss that taste of glory that forwards/midfielders get every game.

miksar

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask;

Why are most Russians oblivious to English?

The same reason non-Slavic would be oblivious to Russian even if it were the primary international language instead of English – both languages don't have that much in common. The Latin alphabet is not a problem for Russians because they practically grow up with it, while Cyrillic, if I understand correctly, is not that easy to learn if you don't know it. Still the Russian language doesn't feature articles, and that's the dealbreaker for most Russians as it is almost impossible to understand the concept without much practice. More than that, Russian grammar is not that strict and grammatical meanings are in most cases expressed differently (instead of auxiliary verbs word endings are used). Also the whole negative attitude towards West is still prevalent in our society and that's why knowing English, though preferable if you want a decent job, is not something that is expected.

Another reason is that English lessons at schools are really terrible here. Back in the Soviet Union the language that everyone learned at school was in most cases German, and when it became English, there was a distinct lack of good teachers that is still evident today.

But I believe I'm good at English and many Russians I know are. The kids you encounter in TF2 or wherever are not representative of the whole nation. :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just got around and saw Russia's goals (I had to quit halfway).

Damn.

DAMN.

They zangiefed the shit out of those poor Czechs. I wasn't expecting such a strong display in the first day of the championship.

Pre

The same reason non-Slavic would be oblivious to Russian even if it were the primary international language instead of English – both languages don't have that much in common. The Latin alphabet is not a problem for Russians because they practically grow up with it, while Cyrillic, if I understand correctly, is not that easy to learn if you don't know it. Still the Russian language doesn't feature articles, and that's the dealbreaker for most Russians as it is almost impossible to understand the concept without much practice. More than that, Russian grammar is not that strict and grammatical meanings are in most cases expressed differently (instead of auxiliary verbs word endings are used). Also the whole negative attitude towards West is still pre levant in our society and that's why knowing English, though preferable if you want a decent job, is not something that is expected.

Another reason is that English lessons at schools are really terrible here. Back in the Soviet Union the language that everyone learned at school was in most cases German, and when it became English, there was a distinct lack of good teachers that is still evident today.

But I believe I'm good at English and many Russians I know are. The kids you encounter in TF2 or wherever are not representative of the whole nation. :)

I think the article thing applies to many Asian nations, as well. Back in high school we would have exchange students from places like Vietnam and Indonesia and those kids couldn't wrap their brains around articles.

Chuckie

I sincerely doubt this. I feel Portugal is being underestimated...and like I wrote in an earlier post, I think both teams will really try to avoid losing... which might lead to a boring game.

Pre

True dat. The Sportscenter team's disgust is palpable whenever they have to do a soccer highlight.

miksar

I think the article thing applies to many Asian nations, as well. Back in high school we would have exchange students from places like Vietnam and Indonesia and those kids couldn't wrap their brains around articles.
Yes, that's why whenever I hear someone making fun of Asian speaking English I always suggest they learn Japanese/Korean/Chinese. The same can be applied to Russian, though the transition is not that dramatic.

The iterative title change on this thread is awesome. What will they come up with tomorrow if the Dutch beat the Danes?

Euro 2012 |OT| Something Rotten in the State of Denmark

Extra points for anyone who recognises where that is from without Googling

Kenka

I just got around and saw Russia's goals (I had to quit halfway).

Damn.

DAMN.

They zangiefed the shit out of those poor Czechs.
I wasn't expecting such a strong display in the first day of the championship.
Ha ha ha, I love how you put that in words.

Noirulus

The Germany bandwagoners in real life make me physically ill. Not a single one of these "fans" that I know of follow football, and they simply choose among the strongest two teams during Euro/WC.

The douchiest part is that these guys often rub it in their friends' faces more than real fans after their team wins.

I should probably get off Facebook.

Konosuke

Not sure why, Germany beat us 3-1 in 2006 and 3-2 in 2008.

I sincerely doubt this. I feel Portugal is being underestimated...and like I wrote in an earlier post, I think both teams will really try to avoid losing... which might lead to a boring game.
This is my greatest fear, I don't want to see a boring match with an late goal at 89'.

Noirulus

This is my greatest fear, I don't want to see a boring match with an late goal at 89'.

Portugal's defense is so damn shaky and their mid-field sucks, so I think Germany has a good chance of picking apart Portugal with ease.

But historically, we've performed well when the odds were stacked against us so I want to believe.

Either way, hoping for a good game. I've got a soft spot for the German squad but I wouldn't mind if Portugal miraculously thrashed Germany tommorow :p

He always does that, since he was kicked off squad by Capello in Madrid for impersonating him.

He's just crazy like that (and much more). Come back to Samp, we still love you :(

Gambit

Same here. The last couple days and weeks I've been getting more and more apprehensive.

Ever since the CL-final, to be honest.

The German players have the potential, but I don't think they've "clicked" as a team yet.

On the other hand, I expect Holland to dispatch Denmark without problems.

i hope they won't play defensively...

Instead of trying to not lose, they should focus on trying to win! That way not only do they not lose but they WIN instead! simple, no?

Gambit

i hope they won't play defensively...

Instead of trying to not lose, they should focus on trying to win! That way not only do they not lose but they WIN instead! simple, no?

5HnMR.jpg

Oxx

The one area where the Euros loses out is the lack of crazy kick-off times. 5pm and 7.45pm are far too sensible.

The World Cup is where you have to go for awesome breakfast football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom