• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

I know right.

I think Ireland are probably better than Russia too. Italy are playing poorly and Croatia are a one man team.

Ireland are odds on to finish second. Spain are too good and will qualify first.

Things are looking good for us though.

Well you're right about that. I don't expect your teams to score much goals though. If any ;p

CrunchyB

FHBgy.gif

Sneijder is ready!

Judderman said:

bone_and_sinew said:
Is all I read.

I just think that the vuvzuelas added a certain unique character and flavor to watching WC matches. They weren't even THAT annoying IMO, after watching the Confederations Cup the previous year and the few warm-up matches in the run up to the World Cup, I was fully used to them.

Alucard

Banned
Disappointed in my Polish countrymen today, as usual in most major tournaments, but at least it was fun to watch.

Go Poland!

Clegg

Against Italy? Really? Wut

I don't see what was wrong with my statement.

We have a very good record in recent games against Italy.

Italy are playing poorly at the moment and are in the midst of another match fixing crisis. I'd be very surprised if Ireland don't win.

Italy have a geriatric midfielder and an idiot striker. Ireland will exploit these weaknesses.

Shoogoo

I don't see what was wrong with my statement.

We have a very good record in recent games against Italy.

Italy are playing poorly at the moment and are in the midst of another match fixing crisis. I'd be very surprised if Ireland don't win.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised.

Honestly I don't have a clue who's favorite and who's not. I only watch football during WC and EC!

Holy shit.

Imagine you'd make a goal like that during the tournament.... or better yet...in the final haha. You'd be remembered forever.

would be awesome for sure, unfortunately in actual play no one is EVER courageous enough to try something like this nowadays anymore... they'd get destroyed by their teammates/coaches/fans if it went wrong and if they could have otherwise scored an easy and potentially super important goal!

Ireland beat Italy 2-0 the last time they played each other.

They also drew with them in the qualifiers of the 2010 world cup.

Face it. Ireland are favourites for this game.
Key words being "friendly" and "qualifying". A qualifying match, by the way, that was almost meaningless for Italy because they had already basically secured a spot in World Cup '10 by that point. Italy also tied against freakin' Bulgaria so world cup qualifying doesn't mean much to me. Ireland have done jack on the big stage so calling them favorites is a bit much.

Having said all this, I've mentioned before that Ireland do scare me the most in this group.

would be awesome for sure, unfortunately in actual play no one is EVER courageous enough to try something like this nowadays anymore... they'd get destroyed by their teammates/coaches/fans if it went wrong and if they could have otherwise scored an easy and potentially super important goal!

I was about to write the exact same thing, that would be a stupid move to do and miss the goal, unless you are already winning by 4-5 goals already and it's the last 5 minutes of the match.

Jay Sosa

Honestly I don't have a clue who's favorite and who's not. I only watch football during WC and EC!

Odds

Have to say I'm a bit surprised though, expected more even odds.

Clegg

Being honest, I would expect Italy to win by at least 2 goals. Ireland are a very technically limited side. We have some good players but our game is more about being hard to beat rather than actually trying to dominate the opponent. We have a decent record against Italy in recent games but I expect we'll lose every game in this tournament.

We rank amongst the worst teams in this tournament. I'm honestly just happy that we're actually involved.

At least we're better than England.

ZZMitch

Just finished watching Greece v Poland (I had it recorded because I was working).

Happy it ended in a tie after the miserable first half by the Greeks. I dunno how they will fare against a team like Russia though! But in the end a good match. 2004 all over again please!

Majine said:
Hope we can get a new OT title often, I love it.

7 goals in 1 day is pretty great start.

And today we saw one of the perceived "less glorious" groups.

Germany-Portugal and Netherlands-Denmark tomorrow ought to be fantastic.

Denmark at 21/4 odds. I reckon a few people will fancy their chances at those numbers. The Dutch are unpredictable in my eyes, you just don't know what to expect from them

miksar

Fuck I hate PTI. They covered EURO 2012 on its opening day... but only discussed some Balotelli/racism-that-hasnt-happened-yet story. They know what gets people's attention, I guess.

There we go! Born and raised?
Born in Moscow and currently in Moscow!

Jay Sosa

Fuck I hate PTI. They covered EURO 2012 on its opening day... but only discussed some Balotelli/racism-that-hasnt-happened-yet story. They know what gets people's attention, I guess.

There we go! Born and raised?

Lol, I love PTI but I always chuckle when I hear them discussing football. They obviously have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

vall03

haven't been able to follow the Euros but Group A results are crazy. Szczesny sent off? Greece missing penalties? Russia stomping on Czech Republic? these are unexpected.

Falch

Can't wait to see how Jetro Willems will do als new leftback of Oranje. He's the youngest player the Euro 2012 (only 18) and has played fewer than 20 matches for PSV.

He's in the team because our first choice (Erik Pieters, also PSV) is injured at the moment.

Chuckie

/\ I hope so but it could turn out that the group everyone thought to be boring turns out great and fantastic group does a let down

You could be right, especially regarding tomorrow.

Oranje - Danmark: Danmark will play very defensive, Oranje will be very nervous because they 'must' win this game otherwise chances are the tournament is over.

Germany-Portugal: Expectations will be really high, but both teams won't give their all because they are too afraid to lose because losing means you will have to win against Danmark AND Holland.

Hopefully I am wrong and we will get to see two great matches, but this is what I expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom