• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

It's still not cheating. It's shady behavior but it's not cheating.

You then have to extend this possible scenario - look at how Maxi stuck his leg up there. If Bale had run into his leg, he would have taken a pretty rough knock and maybe come away injured. He reacted by falling to the ground. In this case, was he trying to dupe the referee to get an unfair advantage? No.

I'm not saying that was the case, but there's no way to find out, is there?

It's safer, simpler and best to consider all diving, fouls, shirt pulling, etc. to be offenses of varying degrees.

Until the FA, Uefa, Fifa, etc come out and say "Diving is cheating and we will now issue bans and fines for players who are determined to be doing so in a post-match review."

It's like the difference between using an exploit in a game vs modifying the game files to gain currency or power. One is an offense, one is a cheat.
I respect your opinion but I simply do not agree. For me going down without contact is cheating, as it can change the entire course of a match. If a player dives to win a penalty, which is then scored and the game ends one nil, they have cheated to win. The other team have defended perfectly well enough to keep a clean sheet and haven't committed any fouls within the box, yet the other team walks away with a penalty and a win.

The "laws of the game" clearly indicate that what you won't define as cheating is not permitted. The only difference is being caught or not, but that doesn't change the nature of the act being committed.

So, making a foul in basketball is cheating too?

Making a foul is NOT cheating, it's fucking allowed and are considered a tactical practice. Unless you are being violent. Just like basketball. And if you make too many of them, you are going to be out.

PRETENDING to receive a foul IS cheating.

the sport favors this sort of behavior... if people don't like it, than they should lobby for reform

but this is what we got and we will continue seeing dives and shenanigans

Wilbur

Banned
I respect your opinion but I simply do not agree. For me going down without contact is cheating, as it can change the entire course of a match. If a player dives to win a penalty, which is then scored and the game ends one nil, they have cheated to win. The other team have defended perfectly well enough to keep a clean sheet and haven't committed any fouls within the box, yet the other team walks away with a penalty and a win.

Yep. It's cheating.

IceCold

the sport favors this sort of behavior... if people don't like it, than they should lobby for reform

but this is what we got and we will continue seeing dives and shenanigans

Lobby a reform? This is FIFA we are talking about...

Changes will only happen when all these old farts from FIFA retire or die. Fresh blood is needed in the organization.

Kem0sabe

Lobby a reform? This is FIFA we are talking about...

Changes will only happen when all these old farts from FIFA retire or die. Fresh blood is needed in the organization.

Fresh blood in FIFA means Platini, that´s not someone who we can expect to rock the boat in any way.

GorillaJu

So, making a foul in basketball is cheating too?

Making a foul is NOT cheating, it's fucking allowed and are considered a tactical practice. Unless you are being violent. Just like basketball. And if you make too many of them, you are going to be out.

PRETENDING to receive a foul IS cheating.

God, you are dense.

Gaming the referee is a legitimate part of the sport. I hate it, but it's there and it's not going away. Many will find it hurts them in the long run as you get a reputation and become less likely to win fouls - its dangerous for you and can be a detriment to your team. It's just part of how football is set up.

The referee's judgment is just one element of the game. Protesting to the referee to try and convince him something is a penalty or a foul or a dive can be rewarding. Or it can get you carded. Shittalking is the same (unless it's racist, which is against the rules).

And diving is permitted. If you dive, the referee just lets the game continue (unless no advantage is given to the opposing team, in which case a free kick is given). If you do it too much, you're cautioned. If you keep doing it even on a yellow card, god save you, you're going home.

Cheating is not permitted. Cheating gets you banned from the game for long spells, and in some cases gets you involved with the police and perhaps even in jail. Again, they're just different.

Fair play, Arnie. The word "cheat" has many definitions and uses. I agree with you in a sense, since players will try to gain an unfair advantage in any way possible. That would seem to qualify as "cheating," but for me, there's a distinction.

Fry

Some players dive to get away from a potential clash: either they'll ask for a foul or not.
Some players dive because they think they won't make it, so they try to get a foul out of their failure: some of them will act like they're in pain and some won't.

The second is cheating, the first isn't.

Gaming the referee is a legitimate part of the sport. I hate it, but it's there and it's not going away. Many will find it hurts them in the long run as you get a reputation and become less likely to win fouls - its dangerous for you and can be a detriment to your team. It's just part of how football is set up.

The referee's judgment is just one element of the game. Protesting to the referee to try and convince him something is a penalty or a foul or a dive can be rewarding. Or it can get you carded. Shittalking is the same (unless it's racist, which is against the rules).

And diving is permitted. If you dive, the referee just lets the game continue (unless no advantage is given to the opposing team, in which case a free kick is given). If you do it too much, you're cautioned. If you keep doing it even on a yellow card, god save you, you're going home.

Cheating is not permitted. Cheating gets you banned from the game for long spells, and in some cases gets you involved with the police and perhaps even in jail. Again, they're just different.

Fair play, Arnie. The word "cheat" has many definitions and uses. I agree with you in a sense, since players will try to gain an unfair advantage in any way possible. That would seem to qualify as "cheating," but for me, there's a distinction.

Ok, I see your point about diving, I'll think about it

But my main point is that making a fucking penalty or foul is not cheating lol

GorillaJu

Some players dive to get away from a potential clash: either they'll ask for a foul or not.
Some players dive because they think they won't make it, so they try to get a foul out of their failure: some of them will act like they're in pain and some won't.

The second is cheating, the first isn't.

Don't think so. The second is unsportsmanlike behavior, and an offense deserving of punishment. It's not cheating, though.

This argument is obviously cyclical an there's a clear divide at the fundamental level over what the word "cheating" means. I'll just agree to disagree and go to bed!

cube444

keo66.jpg

Talon

I think the fact that Bale immediately looks to the sidelines is proof enough that it was simulation - not self-preservation.

You really think his agent is discussing with him the kind of shirts he should be wearing? Highly doubt there's anything more behind it than Balotelli liking the attention.

I wouldn't put it past them but I was thinking more of the constant stream of publicity this specific player receives when I wrote that. I don't think it's beyond belief he's told what to wear though, there's a lot of money at stake based on image and he's clearly holding the corners of the shirt down so it can be read.

I wouldn't put it past them but I was thinking more of the constant stream of publicity this specific player receives when I wrote that. I don't think it's beyond belief he's told what to wear though, there's a lot of money at stake based on image and he's clearly holding the corners of the shirt down so it can be read.

Maybe not beyond belief, just a completely ungrounded thought. If anything you would think him constantly being controversial would hurt his career much more than him selling a few posters and glove hats.

dc89

@VincentKompany said:
Surely if you were a sponsor, you would consider racism as a more dangerous association than the damage caused by commercial opportunism?

Got to love VK. Says what he see's.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
looking forward to today

Rooney will do nothing and we can stop pretending we have a chance when we're knocked out.

Maybe not beyond belief, just a completely ungrounded thought. If anything you would think him constantly being controversial would hurt his career much more than him selling a few posters and glove hats.

Controversy is what keeps him in the limelight. Not to mention beyond his utterly moronic antics on the pitch he hasn't managed to do anything severe off it. When he does something stupid it's countered by all the 'jokes' and other 'amusing' antics he pulls, keeping him in a positive public light.

Kurtofan

There will be a minute of silence before Sweden-France match for the death of French commentator Thierry Roland who died June 15.

Anth0ny

We need to distinguish what we define as a 'dive'. Everyone prepared to enter a discussion about diving should take heed.

Going down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet, in order to win a decision, is not a dive and isn't cheating. It's unsportsmanlike, but it's not cheating.

Going down when there is zero contact, in order to dupe the referee is diving, and it is cheating.

An example of a dive:

iBjNpsage2vpf.gif

ahhh-my-facedgj35.gif

Is that cheating

John Dunbar

correct about everything
We need to distinguish what we define as a 'dive'. Everyone prepared to enter a discussion about diving should take heed.

Going down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet, in order to win a decision, is not a dive and isn't cheating. It's unsportsmanlike, but it's not cheating.

Going down when there is zero contact, in order to dupe the referee is diving, and it is cheating.

An example of a dive:

iBjNpsage2vpf.gif

FIFA doesn't make that distinction, though. They have one term, which is Simulation, and it's both exaggerating an injury after a foul, as well as pretending to have been fouled. Both are worth a yellow card.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
My dad would kill me if I went against Greece but my mom would make me cry if I went against Italy. Oh brother.

My dad is Greek and my mother is German. Friday's match should be fun. (I kind of want the Greeks to win so they have something to be happy about.)

Arnie

ahhh-my-facedgj35.gif

Is that cheating
Yes. For reasons I don't need to explain. That's different than a player going down through contact whilst two players are challenging for a ball.
FIFA doesn't make that distinction, though. They have one term, which is Simulation, and it's both exaggerating an injury after a foul, as well as pretending to have been fouled. Both are worth a yellow card.
It's murky territory judging how much contact is required to bring a player down, because you have to judge a multitude of factors including balance, momentum, intent and force.

I don't really care what FIFA write down, this is my own distinction, and it's one I can make a black and white assessment of during a match.

Raist

Banned
The croatian federation was fined 80,000 euros for the racist behaviour of fans during CRO-ITA. That's added to 25,000 euros for the flares against Ireland. Heh.

Alright cool, I just wanted to prove if it was real.... sometimes the cost of looking like an idiot in football GAF is a lot cheaper than doing tedious Google image search of Mario Balotelli candid photos.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't really care what FIFA write down, this is my own distinction, and it's one I can make a black and white assessment of during a match.

But when you start defining the terms to decide what is cheating or not, what FIFA writes down should be the only thing you care about. It's their rules that determine what is cheating and what is not.

rodvik

Worried about today. Ukraine are no pushovers and we are England.

Oh and Rooney to be booked for some dumb shit, possible red carded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom