• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
There is no controversy. Croatia should have been awarded with a penalty (twice, the Sergio Ramos fault also was inside the box), but they weren't... UNICEF, ya know?

This kind of shit should be retroactively punished with a suspension for the next match. Might make these cheating bastards think twice next time.

Meier

you guys are acting like it's the first time a referee made the wrong decision, especially when it comes to corners that kind of foul is almost never called. i know it sucks but that's the nature of the game.

I know within the past few months, a team was in fact awarded a penalty kick for something much less controversial.. I'm probably just talking out of my ass but I feel like I remember that it may have been Barca even (who received the penalty kick). I know everyone was quite shocked when it happened.

Wilbur

Banned
I know within the past few months, a team was in fact awarded a penalty kick for something much less controversial.. I'm probably just talking out of my ass but it seems like it may have been Barca even. I know everyone was quite shocked when it happened.

Barca against Milan, Puyol and... I think Nesta? Might be wrong, but they were all fouling each other before the corner was taken and Barca got a penalty. Much less definitive than this.

Meier

Barca against Milan, Puyol and... I think Nesta? Might be wrong, but they were all fouling each other before the corner was taken and Barca got a penalty. Much less definitive than this.

Yep, I just googled "penalty kick on a corner barcelona" and it was indeed the match against Milan.

2:32 pm 2-1 Barcelona, 44th minute, 1st half
Nesta has probably defended corners like that his entire 19-year career and never gotten called for it, but they don't call it homefield advantage for nothing I guess.

2:31 pm 2-1 Barcelona, 42nd minute, 1st half
Messi with a second penalty after a bizarre passage of play. Barcelona won a corner and as the ball came in, there was the usual amount of pushing and shoving. Apparently the referee saw things differently because he blew his whistle, showed yellow cards to Nesta and Seedorf, and promptly awarded Barcelona a very, very soft penalty. Messi converted, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way, but Milan will feel aggrieved.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/04/03/champions-league-live-blog-fc-barcelona-ac-milan/

Referee broke the law in awarding second Barcelona penalty against Milan, and here is the picture evidence
After all the post-match polemics, Goal.com investigates whether referee Bjorn Kuipers was correct - by the letter of the law - to give Barca a second penalty against Milan.

Ahaha, ironically the foul was on Busquets.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/174/...-the-law-in-awarding-second-barcelona-penalty

fuenf

I know within the past few months, a team was in fact awarded a penalty kick for something much less controversial.. I'm probably just talking out of my ass but I feel like I remember that it may have been Barca even (who received the penalty kick). I know everyone was quite shocked when it happened.

you mean this one:
untitled-5whywl.gif

still doesnt change the fact that it's almost never called

keit4

Banned
This kind of shit should be retroactively punished with a suspension for the next match. Might make these cheating bastards think twice next time.

That is not the spanish players fault, but refs fault. Makes no sense call the players "cheating bastards" and much less punishing them...

SkylineRKR

I thought Ramos didn't hit Mandzukic but just the ball. The second foul could've been a penalty. But as being said, it doesn't happen that often during corner kicks.

That was the most ridiculous decision of the year.

Big-E

Just watched the Italian game highlights on Chinese tv. When Balotelli came on they played some slapsticky music and showed all his blunders and ended with the goal. Found it a little funny coming from Chinese tv.

So making a penalty is cheating now? How is the spanish players' fault that it was not sanctioned?

Some of you really say stuff just because.

Jubern

Here's the table of possible outcomes for the group, some options for Ukraine/England proceeding, but it's pretty unlikely.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AomAypO7sks2dEJuandkU2VoZjZNMExhTU11SnFuNHc&output=html

Woah, I didn't think we had it this good. To be eliminated, we'd have to lose to Sweden by a two goals difference minimum, and even then, Ukraine could take England out by doing the same to them.

I hope it won't bite me in the ass to say this, but I can't see us being outed tonight.

Portugal fans are starting to be annoying as fuck. I suppose that your defeat against Greece in your Euro was also spanish fault...

Spain playing against Portugal in semis and winning with an offside goal by Torres at 94' could be glorious :p

I always thought Portugal fans were a funny bunch. The loudest mouths for the biggest under-achievers. They've never won anything of note, and can't jump on the Brazil bandwagon after Portugal loses this year!

Kem0sabe

He said fans, not players.

The things is, Portuguese fans rarely if ever brag about Portugal being the best at anything... at all. As he correctly pointed, we have never won a senior tournament so we know very well our limitations.

What we (Portuguese fans) were discussing earlier was the fact that Spain was benefited in the last WC against Portugal. Is that a fair point to make against us? to still feel aggrieved? Dunno... our grudge with Spain transcends time and logic *shrug*

Balloteli is just there to make this thread even more awesome :D

Raist

Banned
So making a penalty is cheating now? How is the spanish players' fault that it was not sanctioned?

Don't give a shit whether it's sanctioned or not by the referee. That's not the point.
Football is crippled with so much cheating, diving, foul play and disrespect towards referees. It's quite abysmal. No other sport comes even close to that amount of shitty behaviour.

Noshino

Hey man, is the ref the one who has to call the penalty.

That is not the spanish players fault, but refs fault. Makes no sense call the players "cheating bastards" and much less punishing them...

So basically its not cheating because they didn't get caught?

The fact that the ref doesn't call a foul doesn't change the fact that the player commited the foul. Called or not, they cheated....whether you like it or not.

R1CHO

So basically its not cheating because they didn't get caught?

The fact that the ref doesn't call a foul doesn't change the fact that the player commited the foul. Called or not, they cheated....whether you like it or not.

Making a penalty is not cheating, is making a penalty.

Making a fault is not cheating.

Making a dive is cheating.

keit4

Banned
So, a fault is now a cheat? Nope, it's part of the game, the same thing as the referee mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes benefits your team, sometimes not.

Kem0sabe

This is getting ridiculous, UEFA is getting ready to fine Germany for their fans by starting yet another disciplinary process against them.

National federations should not be in any way penalized for their fans behavior. If UEFA has a problem with how people act, then they should go after those people not the country itself.

ref doesn't see, ref won't call.. it's footy LOL

doesn't matter if it is the England goal against Germany in 2010 that crossed the line or the Hand of God LOL

chico

I always thought Portugal fans were a funny bunch. The loudest mouths for the biggest under-achievers. They've never won anything of note, and can't jump on the Brazil bandwagon after Portugal loses this year!

funny... i know for a fact that everyone hates the italian team for being divers and cheaters.

Raist

Banned

I personally don't see any difference between diving and the kind of fouls such as the one in that gif. It's voluntary, obnoxious shit. Not like a regular tackle gone wrong for instance. Or a ref making a honest mistake because he wasn't close enough to see what exactly happened.

And yeah the whole "oh well the ref didn't see it, it's A-OK" is quite hilarious. It'd be like arguing that you stole stuff but it's fine since no one caught you.

GorillaJu

Diving isnt cheating either. It's frowned upon with good reason but gaming the ref is part of the game, as it exists right now.

It's the same as any other kind of foul - there's a risk involved with doing it but you might not be caught and the reward outweighs the punishment. It's not cheating, though.

Cheating would be doing something outside of the laws of the game, such as performance enhancing drugs or bribing referees. Fifa want a human element to the refereeing - they want the ref to be the final judge on things and as long as this is how they want the game to be played, all manner of fouling and diving will continue because the reward will always be worth the risk.

Noshino

Whether technical or not, they are cheating.

This is getting ridiculous, UEFA is getting ready to fine Germany for their fans by starting yet another disciplinary process against them.

National federations should not be in any way penalized for their fans behavior. If UEFA has a problem with how people act, then they should go after those people not the country itself.

The thing is that penalizing the Nat Federations is a lot easier and more effective than just going after certain people since it affects everyone.

Raist

Banned
Cheating would be doing something outside of the laws of the game,

The "laws of the game" clearly indicate that what you won't define as cheating is not permitted. The only difference is being caught or not, but that doesn't change the nature of the act being committed.

Noshino

Diving isnt cheating either. It's frowned upon with good reason but gaming the ref is part of the game, as it exists right now.

It's the same as any other kind of foul - there's a risk involved with doing it but you might not be caught and the reward outweighs the punishment. It's not cheating, though.

Cheating would be doing something outside of the laws of the game, such as performance enhancing drugs or bribing referees. Fifa want a human element to the refereeing - they want the ref to be the final judge on things and as long as this is how they want the game to be played, all manner of fouling and diving will continue because the reward will always be worth the risk.

Are fouls within the laws of the game?

Kem0sabe

The thing is that penalizing the Nat Federations is a lot easier and more effective than just going after certain people since it affects everyone.

Thing is, fans couldn´t care less if their federation is fine or not, they will keep doing what they do unless they are personally held accountable.

These days with the camera coverage inside stadiums, and the various national hooligan blacklist´s it should be easy enough to identify the trouble makers.

Kinan

Getting ready for one of the most important games in Ukraine's history. Donetsk is pumped! Moving to the direction of the stadium in an hour or so.

GO UKRAINE!!!!

Noshino

Thing is, fans couldn´t care less if their federation is fine or not, they will keep doing what they do unless they are personally held accountable.

These days with the camera coverage inside stadiums, and the various national hooligan blacklist´s it should be easy enough to identify the trouble makers.

If the punishment/fines affect the performance of their teams....yes they will.

Arnie

We need to distinguish what we define as a 'dive'. Everyone prepared to enter a discussion about diving should take heed.

Going down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet, in order to win a decision, is not a dive and isn't cheating. It's unsportsmanlike, but it's not cheating.

Going down when there is zero contact, in order to dupe the referee is diving, and it is cheating.

An example of a dive:

iBjNpsage2vpf.gif

GorillaJu

Are fouls within the laws of the game?

Ermm yes, they are? You are allowed to commit fouls. You then incur punishment. If you commit too many too dangerous a foul, you are given further punishment. There is leeway and disagreement on what can reliably be considered a foul, what is considered a dive, to what degree of intention is required to call a hand ball.

There's a difference between an offense and a cheat.

If the punishment/fines affect the performance of their teams....yes they will.

You really think that racist remarks, nazi flags or flying bananas will be stopped by that? Maybe if you ban the whole team from international competitions - which is unfair because the majority did nothing wrong.

Please punish the people who did that stuff not the national foodball federation - how should they control thousands of people? It is a stupid system by the UEFA who is too lazy to secure their event together with the hosting nation.

Allons enfants de la Patrie,
Le jour de gloire est arrive !
Contre nous de la tyrannie,
L'etendard sanglant est leve !
Entendez-vous dans les campagnes
Mugir ces feroces soldats ?
Ils viennent jusque dans nos bras
Egorger nos fils et nos compagnes !

Can't watch the game because of work, but hey.

Kem0sabe

Ermm yes, they are? You are allowed to commit fouls. You then incur punishment. If you commit too many too dangerous a foul, you are given further punishment. There is leeway and disagreement on what can reliably be considered a foul, what is considered a dive, to what degree of intention is required to call a hand ball.

There's a difference between an offense and a cheat.

Wish there was this kind of fair play around.

I know that in a major competition things like these could never happen, or the players would be crucified by their fans. But if every player were half the man this guy was, then chronic divers like Ronaldo, Robben or Bale wouldn´t do what they do, Biscuits would have walked up to the ref and admitted that yes he committed a foul, Henry would have grown a pair and have admitted that he scored off a handball.

Football is filled with cheats, liars and idiots, but it´s like this because we teach them to be like this since they are kids, that a win is a win and everything is viable to achieve it.

GorillaJu

We need to distinguish what we define as a 'dive'. Everyone prepared to enter a discussion about diving should take heed.

Going down under contact when you could have stayed on your feet, in order to win a decision, is not a dive and isn't cheating. It's unsportsmanlike, but it's not cheating.

Going down when there is zero contact, in order to dupe the referee is diving, and it is cheating.

An example of a dive:

iBjNpsage2vpf.gif

It's still not cheating. It's shady behavior but it's not cheating.

You then have to extend this possible scenario - look at how Maxi stuck his leg up there. If Bale had run into his leg, he would have taken a pretty rough knock and maybe come away injured. He reacted by falling to the ground. In this case, was he trying to dupe the referee to get an unfair advantage? No.

I'm not saying that was the case, but there's no way to find out, is there?

It's safer, simpler and best to consider all diving, fouls, shirt pulling, etc. to be offenses of varying degrees.

Until the FA, Uefa, Fifa, etc come out and say "Diving is cheating and we will now issue bans and fines for players who are determined to be doing so in a post-match review."

It's like the difference between using an exploit in a game vs modifying the game files to gain currency or power. One is an offense, one is a cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom