• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 30 shots. 30 shots in one game. The problem is its hard to actually get the ball past a box full of 10 players and a goalie.

The term shot being used very lightly there I hope. Yes we created chances but to much of it was trying to walk through the 10 man defence. There was more space in the first half and we ripped them apart down the right. The final ball wasn't good enough many times.

On another day we could have scored 3 and it was often Skrtel who saved them. But it is no excuse. We should be able to break teams down.

Maximus P

Clyne did well tonight, but i think we missed walkers pace. I also think Rashford played well when he came on the last time he played so id like to see him get another appearance.

amanset

Like I said during the last match, with Wilshere and Henderson the midfield was much more dangerous and creative and Rooney especially was useless again after coming in. A shame that he will probably start again next game.

Yeah, this was the opposite of last game. Each substitution made us worse. IN the first half any time we went down the right wing it looked like we would score.

Xando

Always thought Wales had a good chance to top the group. Media overhyped the english team by friendly/quali results like before most tournaments.
Guessing they both will struggle against bigger teams

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That England game was a right shower of shite. Slovakia had 10 men in the box at all times; absolutely no attempt to do anything other than hoof the ball away and dick around. This format encourages terrible play and a half; if only two teams went through, then Slovakia would have been forced to attack.

Lego Boss

Agreed. The previous 3 tournaments England played rubbish, barely stringing 3 passes together. 2010 World Cup was the worst.

Now they're playing great, just have a tiny problem of struggling to score.

Yes, England move the ball around well. I'm optimistic for the future.

Not in my lifetime, but still.

Perhaps KO football will be a bit more urgent against teams that actually have to attack.

Portugal? Bring it on, we owe you!!!

cilonen

OK, griping aside time to move on. Come on Northern Ireland, looking for a historic result tomorrow, really want them to make it through too.

painey

The thing about England is that we've played 3 games which we've dominated and never looked in danger of losing. That's exactly what you want in a knock-out tournament. I'm not too worried, in fact I'm rather optimistic. Still think Kane has been absolute wank though.

Lego Boss

The thing about England is that we've played 3 games which we've dominated and never looked in danger of losing. That's exactly what you want in a knock-out tournament. I'm not too worried, in fact I'm rather optimistic. Still think Kane has been absolute wank though.

Agreed. I'm more optimistic than any time since 2002.

Thought Clyne was our MOTM tonight. Can't understand Crouchy saying we missed Walker. I thought we would but Clyne was good going forward. I expected Vardy and Sturridge to take their chances really. Skrtel had a good game tonight as well, despite hardly playing for us this season.

They haven't looked like losing because they've played against 3 poor sides.

Here's what will happen tomorrow.

Germany will beat Northern Ireland by 3 or more goals.

Turkey will beat Czech Republic by 2 or more goals.

Ergo Turkey will qualify.

Agalloch

I know it doesn't work like that, but Russia and Slovakia don't make me a good impression, and finish behind Wales, makes me think that in other groups England arrived last or third at best.Maybe in the end they win the Euro but not a convincing start

Audioboxer

England should have won that. Some of the final balls (especially from crosses) were fucking terrible. You'd have thought it was Sterling crossing the ball. Massively over-hit or totally the wrong type of cross.

One thing I will say as a Scot the English fans and commentators get it too tough at times. Without a doubt most English fans have absolutely no issue tearing their team a new one when they play shite.

It's the reason I like seeing the occasional England screw up ~ Not because I'm Scottish, but because no one does pessimism and rage as well as a salty Brit. It's a glorious skill and downright hilarious.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Aye definitely hard to deal with a happily defensive team. Slovakia never even looked like they had any intention of scoring tonight. Problem when you let so many teams through in 3rd place there's more teams just happy to go defensive and take the draw or hope for a lucky break/goal.

I have optimisin for England going forward, good chances were made and when teams aren't just parking the i hope we can finish better. Good opportunities and good blocks were made tonight.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
The knockout stage is incredibly onesided.

By the quarter final the top half will have Spain and Portugal/Belgium while the lower half will have Germany, France, Italy/Croatia and England.

And Portugal is fucked. If they finish 1st they get Belgium, 2nd England and 3rd Germany

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The knockout stage is incredibly onesided.

By the quarter final the top half will have Spain and Portugal/Belgium while the lower half will have Germany, France, Italy/Croatia and England.

And Portugal is fucked. If they finish 1st they get Belgium, 2nd England and 3rd Germany

i'd actually really like to see portugal-belgium, so hopefully portugal beats hungary.

Bakkus

Honestly think England have played decent. It's just the other teams playing ridiculously defensive. France also has had problems with that, Spain did in the first match. If they advance however, they will meet France should they beat a 3rd placed team in the quarters.

painey

I just realized that by finishing 2nd England will play on Monday, so I might be able to watch the game at the pub in America :)

trembli0s

The quality of striker play has been atrocious in the Euros this year.

Watching the Copa vs the Euros has made the differences even more stark.

Kill3r7

The quality of striker play has been atrocious in the Euros this year.

Watching the Copa vs the Euros has made the differences even more stark.

Another way to look at it, is that the defensive quality of Copa teams leaves a lot to be desired. That said, expanding the tournament to 24 teams was a bad idea.

Maximus P

So which teams or players are good at punishing parking bus teams like Slovakia/Greece?

Fast teams generally pick teams like that apart. They pass the ball around the back then run at them before they can get all 11 men in the box. Vardy almost caught them out with this tactic tonight.

If sterling knew what a shot on goal looked like he'd be perfect against teams like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom