• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Interesting fact before Albania-Switzerland match
Nine players from Albanian squad could play for Switzerland and six on the opposite

Lach

Interesting fact before Albania-Switzerland match
Nine players from Albanian squad could play for Switzerland and six on the opposite

As well as two brothers facing off against each other (Taulant Xhaka for Albania, Granit Xhaka for Switzerland).

In Switzerland, its always a big discussion when immigrant players decide to play for their country of origin (after having been supported by the Swiss Football Association for all their live). I feel everyone has to decide for themself.

At the moment there is a big fear of strong players (Shaqiri one of them) to switch to the Kosovo national team. After having been included into Uefa and Fifa this year there supposedly will be a period where players can join up with Kosovo, even after having played for a different national team before.

Bek Sloy

Neo Member
Would that only be applicable if it's a newly-recognised nation, or could that pave the way for others to request a change? I'm glad we've got these places being recognise, just Palestine next, hopefully.

Fistwell

It's funny I'd play both Umtiti and Mangala over Rami and yet he, Evra and Sagna probably get in due to seniority.
Same here. But Mangala and Umtiti play are lefties, and Koscielny prefers playing center left. Rami picked because he was a more natural fit at center right. I still have no faith in him.

How come Benoît Trémoulinas wasn't called up? Injured?
Injured from what I heard. He's only decent-but-not-great.
huge step up from Evra

I hope Kurrawa gets a chance before the next World Cup, he seems to have far more potential for an international career than Digne
I hope he gets more playing time next year in Paris. He could be solid.

Lach

Would that only be applicable if it's a newly-recognised nation, or could that pave the way for others to request a change? I'm glad we've got these places being recognise, just Palestine next, hopefully.

I don't think it will (or should) pave the way for players to change national teams. They should do special cases, when a new nation joins.

I think it only works if the player haven't play in an official match like WC, EC or qualification.

In cases of new country associations (or in some cases even new countries) the players didn't have a chance to decide earlier. It wouldn't do anyone good if a good player holds of from playing international games in the hopes his country will be recognized 10 years in the future.

England has been actually trying to aggressively flight ban the worst of them for a while now, but the new generations just keep coming up as bad or worse than the ones before.

The good thing is that England is usually out of tournaments early.

I haven't read much of the news concerning fan trouble, but a guardian article I read implied that the police have been very heavy handed for little reason.

Not to defend any of the thugs looking to cause trouble. Should be banned for life.

I have no idea what to bet on for Slovakia-Wales match.

Neither do I. Both teams are similar in the sense that they're rather average on paper with 1 star standing out (Bale / Hamsik). But Slovakia played really well against us in a recent friendly so I'm leaning towards them.

amanset

I haven't read much of the news concerning fan trouble, but a guardian article I read implied that the police have been very heavy handed for little reason.

Not to defend any of the thugs looking to cause trouble. Should be banned for life.

Yeah, there's two Guardian articles that are very critical of the police. And The Guardian likes nothing more than to bash anything to do with England and their supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...olence-marseille-police-european-championship

This titbit hidden away towards the end:

The fight had broken out after 70 locals confronted England fans, according to the National Police Chiefs’ Council, which has been working with the French authorities to police English fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tics-marseille-more-euro-2016-violence-expert

“It was the most predictable violence that I’ve seen since 2007 with Manchester United fans in Roma,” Pearson told the Guardian. “I was on the quayside outside the Old Vic pub when the trouble started. There was an initial fracas between English fans and locals over tickets at around midnight. There was then the first use of pepper spray or teargas by the police.

“Then a group of what English fans were calling Marseille ultras, but I suspect were just local gangs, turned up. There was a small confrontation. I could see two or three chairs being thrown, someone tried to tip over a table and bottles were being thrown. There was then a completely disproportionate police response. I met an England fan who had been hit by a baton round, and actually had it in his hand.

This is the problem that England fans face. No matter how much they change they are treated the same. Local gangs/hooligans want to fight them and thus these things will always start.

WriterGK

So funny yesterday that France and Roemanian players from small teams were really the best players... Payet just from Westham and Kante from Leicster did a really good job, not like Griezmann from Atletico and Pogba from Juventus. Those 2 played terrible...
And Grigore from Roemania who plays in Qatar lol

Undead

I think Russia will win tonight but not sure if I want to risk a bet, would feel safer betting on the possibility of a riot between the two sets of fans

Lego Boss

England has been actually trying to aggressively flight ban the worst of them for a while now, but the new generations just keep coming up as bad or worse than the ones before.

The good thing is that England is usually out of tournaments early.

Not sure if this is as cut and dried as that. England made the Q/Fs in Germany (a real problem team for England) and there weren't many problems there then.

Marseilles was bad in 1998. I'm not blaming the anyone in particular, but this seems to be a particular hotspot for England fans.

Those that do it are despicable, but it's been getting better for a long time. I'm not convinced that we'll see more problems at the later matches (even ENG v WAL).

I think Russia will win tonight but not sure if I want to risk a bet, would feel safer betting on the possibility of a riot between the two sets of fans

Some England fans just want to chill.
P1zv0g7.jpg

If England loses to Russia it truly deserves to go out in group stages. Though I suspect they'll easily win.

/ Euro 2016: England-Russia fans could be ‘explosive’ mix, warns France sports minister | Football | The Guardian

// lol:
2CNYdHg.jpg

Tubie

Yeah, there's two Guardian articles that are very critical of the police. And The Guardian likes nothing more than to bash anything to do with England and their supporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...olence-marseille-police-european-championship

This titbit hidden away towards the end:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tics-marseille-more-euro-2016-violence-expert

This is the problem that England fans face. No matter how much they change they are treated the same. Local gangs/hooligans want to fight them and thus these things will always start.

You might be right that the reputation might cause others to be more aggressive than usual to English fans in particular.

Thanks for linking that article, I was ready to assume the worst.

tomtom94

Going for 1-0 England, a late goal in an otherwise extremely dull game.

It says something that the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing is just what the team looks like. Really hope Hodgson plays Rooney at CM not AM.

T-Rex.

Banned
Going for 1-0 England, a late goal in an otherwise extremely dull game.

It says something that the thing I'm most looking forward to seeing is just what the team looks like. Really hope Hodgson plays Rooney at CM not AM.
I hope he plays him on the bench.

As well as two brothers facing off against each other (Taulant Xhaka for Albania, Granit Xhaka for Switzerland).

In Switzerland, its always a big discussion when immigrant players decide to play for their country of origin (after having been supported by the Swiss Football Association for all their live). I feel everyone has to decide for themself.

At the moment there is a big fear of strong players (Shaqiri one of them) to switch to the Kosovo national team. After having been included into Uefa and Fifa this year there supposedly will be a period where players can join up with Kosovo, even after having played for a different national team before.

Is there an issue with racist attacks against immigrant players of the national team in switzerland?
I could see players switching the national team for that reason.

I remember in germany one politician of the right wing AFD recently said nobody would want Jerome Boateng (who is black) as a neighbor. Mesut Özil (who is of turkish decent) also has faced similar comments over the years.

isnt this similar with players like mesut özil, gündogan, sahin, cahagnolu, the altintop brothers, can, scholl etc.

they are all germans with turkish roots and could play for either team. some have decided to go to the turkish team others have decided to join germany.
Is there an issue with racist attacks against immigrant players of the national team in switzerland?

I remember in germany one politician of the right wing AFD recently said nobody would want Jerome Boateng (who is black) as a neighbor. Mesut Özil (who is of turkish decent) also has faced similar comments over the years.

AfD also said that the german national team isnt truly german

Well I will not root for the germans anyways this time (allez les bleus!)

patapuf

Nothing like politicians complaining and the team (and the players) is generally loved.

You still got your "stammtisch" types snidely mentioning it from time to time though and the media like to push the narrative from time to time. Like today in the game vs Albany or with Kosovo joining the FIFA and all.

It seems like it's much the same as germany.

psyer

Albania v. Switzerland

Commentators
ESPN: Derek Rae and Alejandro Moreno
BBC: Simon Brotherton and Kevin Kilbane
World Feed: Kevin Keatings and Garry Birtles

Ennosuke

Sounds like an England game.

Who's the favourite in this tournament? I'm assuming it's Germany.

Nah wouldn't say that. We are the world champion, but in the last 2 years we really didn't deliver. I would say there will be an improvement, but we will never reach the performance level of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom