• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Yet another blow for the German flag industry. Sales are tanking from ~10 sold flags per month to 0 sold flags.

Phamit

Pretty weak offense from Germany, tactics didn't help either

Such a shame that Gomez was missing, the only one who was really dangerous

Shito

Griezmann with 6 goals in this tournament.
Now just to score 3 more against Portugal to reach Platini's record and shame Ronaldo a bit more. ^^

Also, last major tournament final France played at the Stade de France was already against a Ronaldo... ^^

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol Ronaldo no longer creates chances. he waits to be fed the ball and scores and i dont know if this Portugal team is good enough to do that. He was also completely absent in the last two Champions League finals. He's definitely not going to walk all over these french defenders who were actually pretty good.

I dont know. There is always a chance a player of Ronaldo's calibur can win a final, but this French team looks better. It would be hilarious if they win though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait, that's the first time France beats Germany after 58 years? Really? wtf happened this tournament: we beat spain, germany beats us, france beats germany.

Is there some sort of recurring curse between France and Portugal?

I think Portugal hasn't won in a very long time in official games. So you know what it will happen in the final.

Alucard

Banned
Scared of Portugal exposing France's park-the-bus-and-wait-to-counter approach. Before that PK, Germany looked sure to win.

VLiberty

YES. It's payback time!!

BUT WAIT

there might be a curse about curse-breaking

so the curse about curse-breaking might be broken and France wins the final
kMO3X00.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait, that's the first time France beats Germany after 58 years? Really? wtf happened this tournament: we beat spain, germany beats us, france beats germany.

Is there some sort of recurring curse between France and Portugal?

yes, we havent beat France in 41 years. And we had losses against them in major tournaments in the last decade (the famous Abel Xavier penalty handball being one of them)

oti

Banned
Junge Grünen will be glad now. No more dirty nationalists roaming the streets with the German flag. It's dangerous.

Despicable.

Serious talk, I always find it sad how hesitant people over here are displaying the German flag. One doesn't need the excuse of a football tournament to do so. It's just a flag. It's OK. 🇩🇪😄

El Topo

Yet another blow for the German flag industry. Sales are tanking from ~10 sold flags per month to 0 sold flags.

Tanking harder than the GBP.

Despicable.

Serious talk, I always find it sad how hesitant people over here are displaying the German flag. One doesn't need the excuse of a football tournament to do so. It's just a flag. It's OK.

I think it's perfectly fine to display a flag (or not). What bothers me is this houlier-than-thou attitude of some people, *cough* Junge Grüne *cough*.

Lessons learned: We need more actual strikers again. Not those glorified midfielders, but actual strikers. Two years since Klose resigned and the best we have to offer is Gomez. He did well this tournament, but he won't play forever and we can't even replace him if he is injured like today.
Yeah, this is what needs to be done. Always after Gomez left the field or when he didn't play at all, I was anxious if Germany was going to make a goal at all.

Mimosa97

Scared of Portugal exposing France's park-the-bus-and-wait-to-counter approach. Before that PK, Germany looked sure to win.

This is the first time we've played like this since forever. We were playing the best team of the tournament. We did our best.

whiteape

Controlling the midfield doesn't win the game. France took their chances, so i can't be mad about their win. Everybody is sad here now, but please france, get that title now! We're rooting for you now!

Jisgsaw

Let's start with Benzema

Varane, Matthieu, Tremoulinas, Debuchy, Sakho, Diarra, Benzema (and to a kesser extend Fekir, Zouma...)

If you start counting the players who weren't selected by the coach, the german list will be very long...
Heck, you could do a very competitive 11 if you include players Löw didn't take for whatever reason and the injuried:
Trapp
Rüdiger - Hummels - Boateng - Schmelzer
Gündogan - Khedira
Reus - Volland
Gomez - Kießling

I'm pretty sure that team would have reached at least the quarters.

Kuro

Griezmann with 6 goals in this tournament.
Now just to score 3 more against Portugal to reach Platini's record and shame Ronaldo a bit more. ^^

Also, last major tournament final France played at the Stade de France was already against a Ronaldo... ^^

a poisoned/sick Ronaldo

Nibel

France is an awesome team and deserves to take the cup

That being said: the worst part of this is the German media and their handling of this L the next day

Alx

Lol, François Hollande doing selfies in the crowd... he just gained a few popularity points by watching a football match.

Well GG France. France should get better in 2years. Hopefully Germany finds someone to replace Lahm,to make the repeat easier and also find another defender to switch with Kimmich, move him up to midfield. But most importantly, to stay healthy.

Koren

Wait, that's the first time France beats Germany after 58 years? Really?
In finals of Euro / World cup, yes.

Defeats in the three last matches. Especially one in free kicks after France was winning 3-1 circa 110th. The german GK then sent one if the french players in hospital, and France was destroyed.

In France, there's still people mad about this game (it's 30 years old, but they replayed it again on TV tuesday...)

Jisgsaw

We had 2 chances. The shot of Kimmich and I think the save from Loris. Besides that France didn't have to fear anything from us and these chances were AFTER we were loosing 2:0.

And Draxler's free kick.
I agree though, just that Germany did have as many chances as France, not none.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you start counting the players who weren't selected by the coach, the german list will be very long...
Heck, you could do a very competitive 11 if you include players Löw didn't take for whatever reason and the injuried:
Trapp
Rüdiger - Hummels - Boateng - Schmelzer
Gündogan - Khedira
Reus - Volland
Gomez - Kießling

I'm pretty sure that team would have reached at least the quarters.
Gündogan and Reus were injured. Everyone else from your list was either there or didn't deserve it. Kießling lol.

We can maybe talk about Schmelzer, but Hector was way better than he ever was.

Alucard

Banned
France is an awesome team and deserves to take the cup

That being said: the worst part of this is the German media and their handling of this L the next day

Will they call for firings? Germany played really well today. Just no finish and lack of luck.

Mimosa97

Yeah and that's totally acceptable, if the team doing it isn't Ronaldo's team. Right?

What ? Portugal didn't park the bus.

People are hating on Portugal because they made it to the finals by only winning one single game in regular time. How is it so hard to understand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom