• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanchan

Portugal Netherlands never forget

I love this moment

RPRqtfM.jpg

Word.

Everyone was so sure that the Germans would win.

People usually think the better team advances. This Euro often times had the weaker team coming out on top.

But someone on GAF said a few weeks ago that not the best team will win, but the least shit one. I think thats very true.
Germany, while beeing superior by quite a bit, was shit today.
France was the weaker team, but they weren't shit today.

People usually think the better team advances. This Euro often times had the weaker team coming out on top.

But someone on GAF said a few weeks ago that not the best team will win, but the least shit one. I think thats very true.
The better team is the one that puts the ball in the net more often, not the one that has the most possession or creates the most chances.

Germany just didn't deserve to win. When you absolutely control the game and can't manage to score a single f***ing goal, we'll, that's what you get. And mostly "thanks" to Löw and his abysmal choice of players. First he puts this incompetent fool Müller front center, then he does not sack him after the break, and to top it all, also brings Götze, who is just incapable of anything. Why he didn't give Sané more play time over the course of the tournament is just beyond me. Löw clearly doesn't deserve players as skillful as him at his disposal. Oh, and if you're under pressure in your own box, don't f***ing try to solve the situation playfully with short passes. Just hammer to ball away for God's sake! >_<

The better team is the one that puts the ball in the net more often, not the one that has the most possession or creates the most chances.

I disagree. Germany dominated but had a lot of bad luck.
France played great for the first 7 minutes, but then they started to play very passively. Didn't create any chances, weren't able to to put pressure on the germans, and defended with everything they got and then they got lucky with a justified but absurd penalty.
Germany was definitely the better team.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
wonderful result for football. now that the germans are out i can just enjoy the final with a slight preference for portugal, but no real anxiety over the result. before the match i was worried when schweinsteiger turned out to be healthy enough to play, but then he ended up being the hero with an amazing handball. the fact that it was an italian referee that gave the penalty was icing on the cake.

the two matches i went to watch in a sport bar ending up how i wanted them to (italy-spain and france-germany) makes me regret not going to watch italy-germany, but if germany had lost that one we would have missed out on muller extending his goalless streak at the euros. dude looks like a psychopath whose hair is slowly devouring his face. fuck that guy.

Viruz

Can I add some paprika to the salt?
Here's some salt, thank me salter...
VIVE LA FRANCE!

Shito

Germany just didn't deserve to win. When you absolutely control the game and can't manage to score a single f***ing goal, we'll, that's what you get. And mostly "thanks" to Löw and his abysmal choice of players. First he puts this incompetent fool Müller front center, then he does not sack him after the break, and to top it all, also brings Götze, who is just incapable of anything. Why he didn't give Sané more play time over the course of the tournament is just beyond me. Löw clearly doesn't deserve players as skillful as him at his disposal. Oh, and if you're under pressure in your own box, don't f***ing try to solve the situation playfully with short passes. Just hammer to ball away for God's sake! >_<
French tv was saying a few days ago that if Low wanted to make Schweinie play, well, good for us and be our guest!
Tonight they are like "yep, thanks for that, told ya!"...

oti

Banned
I'm sure that most Germans will move on fairly quickly from this loss. Not that this isn't a surprise but this Euro has been very... casual for some reason. Not a lot of flags, not a lot of excitement. It happened, we lost, that's OK. I also don't expect that many people to be too bitter after this. Germany had its chances and didn't score a single goal after all. But we'll see.

Markoman

I know the German media and fans think they have a divine right to be in every final, but nobody was taking away their glory in the 80/90's when their average teams were making every final (and cheated to win one).

Well said my friend. As a German I do remember the times when Germany played ugly but successfull football and teams like Spain, Portugal, France with the most "attractive" play were on the losing side for so many many years.

Karma is a bitch

I know the German media and fans think they have a divine right to be in every final, but nobody was taking away their glory in the 80/90's when their average teams were making every final (and cheated to win one).

I just think its nice to have the better teams advance, which is why I have been pissed about this Euro since day 1.
I'm not pissed because Germany lost today, I'm pissed because they didn't lose the games where they sucked, instead they lose the one game where they didn't suck. Sends the wrong message imo.

Edit: We've already had people demanding of germany to go back to a system with a classic striker. Back to the old kick and rush system. The ugly football germany played for decades.

Ansatz

Edit: We've already had people demanding of germany to go back to a system with a classic striker. Back to the old kick and rush system. The ugly football germany played for decades.

Nah that would be a huge mistake, Germany is one match winner away from the perfect NT and that guy is Reus. The form of Muller and Götze can only go up from here as well. Draxler and Kimmich showed great potential and the veterans easily have 1 tournament left in them.

Gündogan and Reus were injured. Everyone else from your list was either there or didn't deserve it. Kießling lol.

We can maybe talk about Schmelzer, but Hector was way better than he ever was.

Not taking Bellarabi was a huge oversight from Löw. He had two great seasons in a row and has game changing pace and technical ability. Germany needs a true striker, badly. Gomez even if healthy isn't really that good.

oti

Banned
So here's a tweet from an AFD politician (think Front National but German):

Beatrix von Storch said:
Vielleicht sollte nächstes mal dann wieder die deutsche NATIONALMANNSCHAFT spielen? #GERFRA #DieMannschaft

https://twitter.com/Beatrix_vStorch/status/751164257102954498

She's basically saying that only "real Germans" should play for the German national team. She's also the politician who argued for refugees (including kids) to be shot at the border to not get into the country.

Those rats will use every opportunity to display their racism. Screw them.

I just think its nice to have the better teams advance, which is why I have been pissed about this Euro since day 1.
I'm not pissed because Germany lost today, I'm pissed because they didn't lose the games where they sucked, instead they lose the one game where they didn't suck. Sends the wrong message imo.

Your metric of who is the better team is completely subjective (and not to mention bias). Fortunately, football is not gymnastics and utilizes objective criteria and judgement to determine who is the better team.

Fistwell

I disagree. Germany dominated but had a lot of bad luck.
France played great for the first 7 minutes, but then they started to play very passively. Didn't create any chances, weren't able to to put pressure on the germans, and defended with everything they got and then they got lucky with a justified but absurd penalty.
Germany was definitely the better team.
That's the story of the first half. Penalty may be absurd, but it's on Schweinsteiger, it's a german player making a stupid play. France did play poorly in the first, but they still got chances. And in the second, Germany didn't really outplay France.

In any case, France scored two goals, Germany failed to score any. Try to pass it as luck if it makes you feel better. But in any case, that salt is delicious.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

She's basically saying that only "real Germans" should play for the German national team. She's also the politician who argued for refugees (including kids) to be shot at the border to not get into the country.

I understand it as critic on that crappy "Die Mannschaft" PR, she wants her Nationalmannschaft term back. But who knows, AfD has all sorts of wackos.

Not taking Bellarabi was a huge oversight from Löw. He had two great seasons in a row and has game changing pace and technical ability. Germany needs a true striker, badly. Gomez even if healthy isn't really that good.
Yeah, Bellarabi could have been nice, but he's playing right wing usually and that position is pretty well occupied.

Markoman

I'm sure that most Germans will move on fairly quickly from this loss. Not that this isn't a surprise but this Euro has been very... casual for some reason. Not a lot of flags, not a lot of excitement. It happened, we lost, that's OK. I also don't expect that many people to be too bitter after this. Germany had its chances and didn't score a single goal after all. But we'll see.

And that's exactly the reason why I (a German) was never hyped about the German team.
Germans are spoiled with success on every level. I want underdogs to win something or in this case: the host. I even made my peace with Ronaldo. In case Portugal wins the finals... so be it.

And concerning German fans: ...fuck all the shit that started with the so-called Sommermärchen in 2006. Since then,it has always been all about pack mentality and hype. No true passion but mostly the Ballermann German bs. Hell, you know that something is wrong when girls suddently start watching football because Hummels looks nice and those white shirts look trendy and really fit long blonde hair. ;P

Addi

A Danish far right party did sort of the same after France beat Iceland. They posted a picture of French black players and a picture of the Viking looking guy from Iceland with the text "Africa - Iceland 5-2". Fuck them. I have heard that shit all that my life. "World Cup 98? doesn't count, you stole people from colonies" angers me beyond words.

oti

Banned
I understand it as critic on that crappy "Die Mannschaft" PR, she wants her Nationalmannschaft term back. But who knows, AfD has all sorts of wackos.

Yeah, Bellarabi could have been nice, but he's playing right wing usually and that position is pretty well occupied.

That would be...just...I can't comprehend this then. How can you feel so strongly about crap like this.

Addi

BTW, France had more shots on target than Germany (6 vs. 5). Germany dominated yes, but not very efficient up front.

He is pretty versatile on the wings. He usually starts on the right wing but during the game switches sides constantly to escape man to man coverage.
I would take Bellarabi over Schürrle,Draxler,Podolski or Sane every day of the week.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That would be...just...I can't comprehend this then. How can you feel so strongly about crap like this.
This has actually been criticized by rightwingers for a while. Honestly, no German calls them "die Mannschaft" anyway, but they saw it as another attack on national pride or whatever to remove "National" from all the marketing. They are stupid, but I don't like the campaign either. It feels so forced, I can see Bierhoffs dumb face when I read it every time.

Markoman

Holy shit! I can't believe what I'm reading there!!! Disgusting and very stupid. In one moment of defeat, let's us completely forget what Klose, Podolski, Özil, Khedira, Gündogan, Boateng, Mustafi the list goes on and on contributed to German football in the last 10 years? What a disgrace, nazi scum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom