• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flozuki

wonderful result for football. now that the germans are out i can just enjoy the final with a slight preference for portugal, but no real anxiety over the result. before the match i was worried when schweinsteiger turned out to be healthy enough to play, but then he ended up being the hero with an amazing handball. the fact that it was an italian referee that gave the penalty was icing on the cake.

the two matches i went to watch in a sport bar ending up how i wanted them to (italy-spain and france-germany) makes me regret not going to watch italy-germany, but if germany had lost that one we would have missed out on muller extending his goalless streak at the euros. dude looks like a psychopath whose hair is slowly devouring his face. fuck that guy.

Müller must have hurt your feelings? No need for this disgusting hate speech...

Gratz to France, we were just unable to succeed today.

King Ronaldo will beat France all on his own.

lol, is that statue for real?

Regardless of the referee being one of the best, he's Italian, so he shouldn't have been the referee of the game considering Italy was eliminated by Germany.

bud23

lol, is that statue for real?

of course it is

1fe7dd76944a1568f8e0914020c9bc99ff0f9dceaf54feb9244d547dbe4db2fd_large

Burw8IYCEAAIz9l.jpg

KZbSuPC.png

Not too sad that we lost. We played well, but didn't really create too many chances. Some bad luck, injuries and general exhaustion gave us the rest. Still a good team and I won't be calling for Löws head either. Going out in semis against a good host is not shameful. Next time will be better especially if Reus can finally start :)

Rooting for France unless Ronaldo scores twice :p

Coffinhal

Just came back from Marseille

It was really crazy after we realized that we had a penalty no one expected. Then the game was wrapped up we just had to wait to shout "On est en finale!"

and it was sad to see our friends from Germany but they were so proud of themselves before...

Please stop already the bullshit about the better team blablala, one team won by a 2 goal margin within 90 minutes, there's a reason why

Now we'll crush Portugal and Griezmann is going to have a 92 potential in the next FIFA

longdi

Banned
Glad to see missler missing, over rated guy with an arrogant face.

How does A.madrid scouts keep spotting super strikers?

But don't matter now, destiny time for CR7.

Melfice7

This euro has been the euro of curse breaking! Portugal needs fucking closure after losing in 84's semi's, 2000's semi's and world cup 2006 semi's all against France... please :'(

Croyles

wonderful result for football. now that the germans are out i can just enjoy the final with a slight preference for portugal, but no real anxiety over the result. before the match i was worried when schweinsteiger turned out to be healthy enough to play, but then he ended up being the hero with an amazing handball. the fact that it was an italian referee that gave the penalty was icing on the cake.

the two matches i went to watch in a sport bar ending up how i wanted them to (italy-spain and france-germany) makes me regret not going to watch italy-germany, but if germany had lost that one we would have missed out on muller extending his goalless streak at the euros. dude looks like a psychopath whose hair is slowly devouring his face. fuck that guy.

Is there something wrong with you?

No. Seriously. Nasty shit.
I've seen nothing but vileness from you in this entire thread. Literally. I have not seen you talk positive about any team, just who you want to lose.

CTLance

I fucking fell asleep yesterday evening and missed the damn game. Aaaaargh. I feel like I failed "my" team somehow.

Oh well. I was pessimistic, but still hoped for a lucky 2:1 or something. You know how it is, hope springs eternal and all that.

Grats to the French fans and their team. Give us an enjoyable finale, blue guys! :D

casiopao

This Euro is really one of the craziest lol. The luck of draw is really strong.

Italy beating Spain and end up with losing key players for Germany match.

Germany beating Italy and end up losing key players for France match.

Lets hope that France and Pogba will be able to bring France to victory.^~^

Nikokuno

If CR7 wins this one, Messi's fans will be so sad and salty for ever.

Anyway, I predicted France going 'til Grand Final, I hope they'll win Sunday because Koscielny and Griezmann deserve it since the first runs after major titles win Arsène and the second loses two C1 finals against Real Madrid ...

VLiberty

If CR7 wins this one, Messi's fans will be so sad and salty for ever.

Anyway, I predicted France going 'til Grand Final, I hope they'll win Sunday because Koscielny and Griezmann deserve it since the first runs after major titles win Arsène and the second loses two C1 finals against Real Madrid ...
For real. Just go back to 20 days ago with messi fans being all "lololol cr7 drawing with iceland, we're heading to the final!!!"

I told you I'll come back for you Bla didn't I?

Dat Kimmich

DerZuhälter;207980334 said:
Kimmich will ruin Germany's title run. Bookmark this post. I'm the guy who'll come back to tell you "I told you so."
The guy should not be used anywhere else but the midfield. He's a hot garbage overhyped Fraudiola player.

DerZuhälter;209370703 said:
Not with Kimmich.

He'll fuck up bad at least once in the tournament and when he does I'll pounce and tell everyone I told you so.

Bayern fanboys El Topo and Jack cw were just as wrong as you about him, hell the entirety of german media was wrong about him if that's any consolation.

PatjuhR

Will all the respect for Hector and Kimmich, but I never understand that when you go full attack mode like Germany did at a certain point they weren't subbed.

Nobody ever does that, but the wing backs are always the two people who get the most possession in situations like that. I would keep their positions, but I would put in people with a bit more attacking skill. It's not like they are doing much defending anymore.

SPCTRE

Not too sad that we lost. We played well, but didn't really create too many chances. Some bad luck, injuries and general exhaustion gave us the rest. Still a good team and I won't be calling for Löws head either. Going out in semis against a good host is not shameful. Next time will be better especially if Reus can finally start :)

Rooting for France unless Ronaldo scores twice :p
Well said.

Fistwell

Congrats to Germany on a solid tournament.

Had started a wall of shame of "Has Schland won yet," but closed the wrong tab at some point and didn't have the heart to do it over. Rereading the last 30 pages I was surprised at several things. The salt over the PK and refereeing in general was out of fucking control. Of course I'm partial, being French, but I haven't seen much from the ref that would make me believe he was favoring a team, let alone France. The penalty is absolutely there. There were a few instances were he could have easily been a lot harsher on Germany as well. Draxler's yellow is a textbook red. Late, out of control slide tackle from behind, no chance at the ball whatsoever, uses both legs to scissor kick Sissoko at the ankles. A clear foul on Griezmann on a counter went uncalled, should have been a yellow if not a red (annihilating a clear chance on goal). But whatever, calls get missed both ways. Just surprised so many German fans seemingly blamed the ref for the loss.

Also suprised so many people praised the game's quality. I mean it had intensity and stuff was happening, but it didn't strike me as particularly great. Then again, I was so stressed, had to remind myself to breathe in the first half. Hard to enjoy the game in such conditions.

Some of the salt is absolutely glorious. Really got a kick out of: Germany was superior, we were unlucky, France didn't deserve it. Whoever scores more goals deserves to get through, end of story. Moral victories count for jackshit, and possession without goals is literaly worthless.

Hoping for a fun game on Sunday. To be quite honest, I don't care so much if we lose. We've beaten Germany and made it to the finals. That's already plenty enough win for me. (yes Ronaldo, I know, small mentality, etc)

But, so, anyways, has Schland won yet? ;D

Some of the salt is absolutely glorious. Really got a kick out of: Germany was superior, we were unlucky, France didn't deserve it. Whoever scores more goals deserves to get through, end of story. Moral victories count for jackshit, and possession without goals is literaly worthless.

Most germans are bitter morons. Even those in the press and media. It's the same shit you can even hear from professional analyst / former football players. It's exactly the same reaction they had after Bayern lost against Madrid.

"But but but... we had more possession. We were better!"

No you weren't. It's pathetic really.

MrS

Banned
Praying that Ronaldo fucks France over. Can't have France winning this. They're garbage.

Bastian should be stripped of the captaincy for his idiocy.

Tiberius

Praying that Ronaldo fucks France over. Can't have France winning this. They're garbage.

Yeah the team which finish 3rd in his group and which got a draw with iceland is better...
Just for ronaldo's rant about iceland they merit to lose

Alx

Also suprised so many people praised the game's quality. I mean it had intensity and stuff was happening, but it didn't strike me as particularly great. Then again, I was so stressed, had to remind myself to breathe in the first half. Hard to enjoy the game in such conditions.

Yeah I felt a bit disappointed to. Each team had its moments, but never really felt dangerous as they both failed when getting near the goal. Most of it felt like a missed opportunity. The penalty was a stupid mistake from Germany which gave France the strategic edge on the match, it could have been much more intense if it wasn't for that.

Maxrunner

Congrats to Germany on a solid tournament.

Had started a wall of shame of "Has Schland won yet," but closed the wrong tab at some point and didn't have the heart to do it over. Rereading the last 30 pages I was surprised at several things. The salt over the PK and refereeing in general was out of fucking control. Of course I'm partial, being French, but I haven't seen much from the ref that would make me believe he was favoring a team, let alone France. The penalty is absolutely there. There were a few instances were he could have easily been a lot harsher on Germany as well. Draxler's yellow is a textbook red. Late, out of control slide tackle from behind, no chance at the ball whatsoever, uses both legs to scissor kick Sissoko at the ankles. A clear foul on Griezmann on a counter went uncalled, should have been a yellow if not a red (annihilating a clear chance on goal). But whatever, calls get missed both ways. Just surprised so many German fans seemingly blamed the ref for the loss.

Hoping for a fun game on Sunday. To be quite honest, I don't care so much if we lose. We've beaten Germany and made it to the finals. That's already plenty enough win for me. (yes Ronaldo, I know, small mentality, etc)

But, so, anyways, has Schland won yet? ;D
Off course the penalties will always be marked for the host side. But Portugal already have 3 clear ones that were ignored.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
DerZuhälter;209457613 said:
Most germans are bitter morons. Even those in the press and media. It's the same shit you can even hear from professional analyst / former football players. It's exactly the same reaction they had after Bayern lost against Madrid.

"But but but... we had more possession. We were better!"

No you weren't. It's pathetic really.
I heard a lot of "you shouldn't give that penalty in a semi-final"...what a bunch of BS. I guess Waldi's show must've completely agreed on that yesterday.

Yeah the team which finish 3rd in his group and which got a draw with iceland is better...
Just for ronaldo's rant about iceland they merit to lose

That "rant" was taken ridiculously out of contest. This is what he said to the Mirror:

And when asked by 'MirrorFootball' if he saw any romance at all in the Iceland story, Ronaldo was unequivocal.
"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end, it was unbelievable.
"When they don't try to play and just defend, defend, defend this in my opinion shows a small mentality and are not going to do anything in the competition."

Clearly, the "small mentality" is a jab at Iceland's very destructive play against Portugal and not about the fact they celebrated a draw.

El Topo

DerZuhälter;209453155 said:
Bayern fanboys El Topo and Jack cw were just as wrong as you about him, hell the entirety of german media was wrong about him if that's any consolation.

I don't think you can put the sole blame for the second goal on him when he gets a bad pass in the penalty box with several French players around him.
It's his first big season, it's really not surprising if he screws up from time to time. None of us were claiming otherwise.

El Topo

The truth is that Bayern players fucked up the game for Germany last night. Very poor form. Even Neuer.

Schweinsteiger plays for United. I also don't think you can blame Neuer for the goals. It wasn't a traditional easy-to-avoid screw up like what De Gea had against Italy.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Schweinsteiger plays for United. I also don't think you can blame Neuer for the goals. It wasn't a traditional easy-to-avoid screw up like what De Gea had against Italy.

Kimmich? Müller? Even Boateng made a huge mistake that would have been a goal if Giroud could run.

And the second goal is clearly Neuer's mistake, very poor clearance.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
An all-villains' final, eh?

Well, time to forego my British heritage and root for France. Ronaldo must be stopped!

El Topo

Kimmich? Müller? Even Boateng made a huge mistake that would have been a goal if Giroud could run.

Well, can't blame Boateng for things that didn't happen, but it was a bad mistake, yes. Kimmich made one big mistake defensively and Müller, well, he sucked throughout the tournament, can't argue with that.
You also forgot to mention Götze doing absolutely nothing after getting subbed in.

It's not a good clearance, but it's not an easy clearance either.

El Topo

It's like the first rule of goal keeping though, never push the ball straight out in front of you, put it behind for a corner if you have to

It's one thing if you do it with a straight shot while standing on the line, like De Gea, and another if you have to fight (and jump) to reach the ball, like Neuer. Bad clearance, but it's hard to blame him for the goal.
This is not a traditional "What was the goalie thinking" moment. It's ridiculous that someone used that to make a case for De Gea, who screwed up worse (multiple times) against Italy.

Well, shouldn't you rather blame Löw here?

Müller had a shit tournament, Löw still didn't even sub him. Kimmich is a 21-year-old midfielder who barely played one Bundesliga season and had his first match as RB this tournament. He did okay but maybe Mustafi/Höwedes as more experienced players on that position would have been the better option.

HAHA serious question though... Have you watched any of their matches prior to this tourny? Or even IN this tourny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom