• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Germany - France will be pretty similar to Germany - Italy, so I could bet that Wales - Portugal will be the more spectacular semifinal.

99% of goals are defense mistakes.

Sure, but some are forced and some are unforced. First two goals were unforced mistakes. Not sure if your comment deserved a serious answer though.

What is this sorcery

LABVFnJ.gif

https://twitter.com/mikesanz19/status/744605307687567360/video/1

LAM09

Yes, but Wales still has nothing to lose, so I expect this to be more like Portugal-Hungary than Portugal-Croatia.

Portugal had to get something to make sure they qualified, but I'm Santos will set up his team to be cautious once again. Can't see where the flair will come from Wales, if Bale doesn't deliver.

JP

I'm really hoping for a Wales vs Germany final, it would mean an automatic place in the Confederations Cup for Wales.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. I expect Portugal to force the game into ET at the very least.

lol force the game into OT... because thats what they want, already coming from a OT game days before. This narrative is getting completely ridiculous, nowithstanding the fact that Portugal has been pretty shit this tournament

LAM09

lol force the game into OT... because thats what they want, already coming from a OT game days before. This narrative is getting completely ridiculous, nowithstanding the fact that Portugal has been pretty shit this tournament

They haven't won a game in 90 mins at this tournament (5 matches). I don't expect that to change on Wednesday, so that's why I made that comment. All down to the way they are set up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My hopes: Wales beat Portugal because Portugal and Germany beats France for being mean enough to knock Iceland out of the tournament. Wales win in final in epic story of the underdog.

What will happen: Portugal-France final, Portugal wins.

Tugatrix

My hopes: Wales beat Portugal because Portugal and Germany beats France for being mean enough to knock Iceland out of the tournament. Wales win in final in epic story of the underdog.

giphy.gif

Addi

This France - Germany game will be loaded with feelings. I almost forgot they played each other in November in Paris the night of the attacks. The Germans slept at the stadium because their hotel was not safe and the French team stayed with them in solidarity.

Allez les Bleus!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They haven't won a game in 90 mins at this tournament (5 matches). I don't expect that to change on Wednesday, so that's why I made that comment. All down to the way they are set up.

You talk as if they didnt want to win games. They had like the most shots of any team in the group stage for example. Just because they are shit shots doesnt mean they arent trying to put it in. Croatia was the game they played most defensively, and the last minutes against Hungary I guess when both teams were happy with just going through.

Dont confuse this with me saying they arent playing shit. But thats doesnt equate "playing for OT" like you said, who would do that in a short tournament with games every 3-4 days?

LAM09

You talk as if they didnt want to win games. They had like the most shots of any team in the group stage for example. Just because they are shit shots doesnt mean they arent trying to put it in. Croatia was the game they played most defensively, and the last minutes against Hungary I guess when both teams were happy with just going through.

Dont confuse this with me saying they arent playing shit. But thats doesnt equate "playing for OT" like you said, who would do that in a short tournament with games every 3-4 days?

No one would intentionally go for that one objective, but they are set up to not lose. That is the reason they have been involved in close matches along with the fact that they aren't blessed with the quality they had in '04 or '06 for example. I would expect them to go all out against Wales for multiple reasons, but I don't see Santos changing what was got them this far. We'll see anyway.

Oersted

Germany - France will be pretty similar to Germany - Italy, so I could bet that Wales - Portugal will be the more spectacular semifinal.

Sure, but some are forced and some are unforced. First two goals were unforced mistakes. Not sure if your comment deserved a serious answer though.

Germany is weakened in the defense and offense, France has a offense much better than Italy. Its gonna be different.

Alucard

Banned
I want Wales vs. Germany in the final, and I want Germany to win. That said, I'd be okay with anyone winning except for Portugal. They've stumbled their way here somehow, and they've hardly played quality football. It's kind of like Greece in 2004. Nothing against my Portuguese friends here and in legit life, but this team has been shoddy throughout this tournament.

Coffinhal

France finally shows its potential. There was lots of confidence especially in the attack. The 4-2-3-1 system works really well for Griezmann and Pogba, although it still is awesome for Payet, Matuidi and here Sissoko. Giroud is on fire (9 goals in the last 10 matches).

Our biggest loophole is still the left wing, this is where we take goals or concede penalties. Also we were qualified before the end of the first half so we weren't as focused as we should have been and we tried to avoid taking yellow cards.

Against Germany we'll need to take advantage of their players being injured/suspended and the whole team being exhausted.

I don't know if I prefer Portugal or Wales. I play with Renato Sanchez and Gareth Bale in FIFA's Career mode. Portugal is not fun to watch though and I don't want them to win against France (or Germany) after penalty shootout.

flozuki

Greenscreen?

Literally the same thing you see on weather forecast everyday, only with some additional visual tricks.
Reminds me of the horrible (German) Sky analysis of games, where Erik Meijer is projected directly onto the pitch besides players of the game :D

Against Germany we'll need to take advantage of their players being injured/suspended and the whole team being exhausted.

I hope not ;P Pretty bummed about our injuries, especially Gomez. If Schweini misses the match Jogi will have to make some adjustments, otherwise he has really good options on the bench. Combined with France destroying Iceland and hopefully Müller being thirsty for the final games we have pretty good chances.

Uzzy

With Ronaldo diving for a penalty for the winning goal.

Coffinhal

I hope not ;P Pretty bummed about our injuries, especially Gomez. If Schweini misses the match Jogi will have to make some adjustments, otherwise he has really good options on the bench. Combined with France destroying Iceland and hopefully Müller being thirsty for the final games we have pretty good chances.

We are going to take revenge for the Brasil WC quarter. Hopefully Koscielny won't mess things up.

I remember that yellow cards are being reset next match too.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Pogba-Kanté duo in the lower midfield. You won't cross them. I need to try that out in FIFA16.

Haunted

Who belongs here, then?
Italy, Spain

But alas, that's how the bracket shook out and it's unfair to blame Wales or Portugal for this.

But I said it when I saw the draw for the round of 16 and I'll say it again, whoever comes through on that shark tank on the right side of the bracket will win the tournament. Left side was a kiddy pool in comparison.

Haunted

Gomez, Khedira and possibly Schweinsteiger out for France.

We are doomed.
If Schweini's out, Can steps in.

Mustafi or Höwedes to relaxt Himmels, both have played well.

Gomez, now that's tricky. I do believe in the quality of Götze and Müller, but they've been... well, let's say "unlucky" so far. Maybe it's time to give Sané his shot? I dunno.

Yeah, we're weakened, but we're not doomed.

flozuki

Too soon.

Draxler and/or Schürrle.

These two are also reaons for me being pretty relaxed. We have about four players that you can't back up adequat: Neuer, Boateng, Kroos and - even out of form working like a madmen - Müller. They are on board, so everything is fine. I am actually looking forward to see what aces Löw has up his sleeve. If Schweini isn't able to play he could draw Kimmich to his favourite position... Playing against Schürle or Sane (if you ask me he will have a splendid career so the EM might be a good chance to melt some faces) might confuse France for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom