• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

Are we seriously going to get 3D Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, a Mario RPG, Mario Kart, a Retro game, and Smash all in the first year? Holy crap. There hasn't been a year this stacked for Nintendo since 2007.

Well, if you've been playing Nintendo only like 2 things are new in that lineup.

Siege.exe

So maybe you can control the time of day in Stars.

Meanwhile, legendary guesses: Celesteel (Steel/Ice)? Constella (Ghost/Fairy)? Astromelta (Fire/Ice)?
I could see a few new Alolan forms, but outright new Pokemon in a third version? Extremely unlikely, there'd be some trace of them in Sun and Moon. Also there's already a pokemon named Celesteela

Falchion

That's awesome but I wouldn't have pre-ordered my copy for today if I knew this was going to happen. I just would've gotten Alpha Sapphire and played through it to tide me over until the Switch version.

Gator86

Not surprising.
Can we stop with the leaks before the reveal now?

All interest in the 3DS dead for me now. I'll wait to see how the Switch looks. I hope everything leaks. As a consumer, I want the maximum amount of information and I don't give a shit about Nintendo's bottom line.

mrmickfran

Eclipse is a better name

Can you imagine the Japanese launch? It's already getting Splatoon, but throw in this, plus a potential Monster Hunter XX port.

It's time for this image to resurface:

Nintendo_605c37_386482.jpg

Guys, it's not like there wasn't already going to be some kind of game next fall, whether it was a third version, Sun2/Moon2, or a D/P remake. The only difference is that it's on Switch now. Don't let this hold you back from buying Sun and Moon today, because this game would've come out next year regardless of the Switch's existence. Pokemon is an annualized franchise at this point. (It just took a year off, last year.)

PSOreo

Here I was about to order a 2DS and everything just to play Sun/Moon. Definitely waiting until Switch now. This thing is going to sell like gangbusters if Nintendo are honestly having all these titles within the first year or so.

EloNoolah

Don't know if this has already been brought up in this thread, but in regard to the Philippi thing, doesn't GAME FREAK design one high-poly model for each Pokémon that's then scaled down if needed and used across every game? For example, the same Pikachu model would be used in the main line games, GO, Mystery Dungeon, etc. It just strikes me as weird that that model is what they would point to as proof that high-res assets are being created specifically for a Switch game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm a casual Poke player. So I'll probably just wait for this.

Keep in mind I didn't have the 3ds version preordered or anything. I'd just have eventually grabbed that at some point during my wait for the Switch next 4 months.

mrmickfran

I wonder how Nintendo convinced Game Freak/TPC to make it a switch exclusive. Those guys are really stubborn when it comes to moving to the next console.

Menitta

Are we seriously going to get 3D Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Splatoon, a Mario RPG, Mario Kart, a Retro game, and Smash all in the first year? Holy crap. There hasn't been a year this stacked for Nintendo since 2007.

Nintendo to have a good year once per decade.

I wonder how Nintendo convinced Game Freak/TPC to make it a switch exclusive. Those guys are really stubborn when it comes to moving to the next console.

I think that the fact that the Switch isn't BC probably helped. Every previous generational transition for Pokemon has been aided by backwards compatibility. B2/W2 came out a year after the 3DS, but you could play them on your 3DS, so it wasn't as big of a deal.

I honestly doubt it's going to be a full on 3rd version and not just a port.

Why though? It's not like Gamefreak has trouble pumping out 3rd versions, sequels, or even full-on remakes in 12 months. ORAS came out a year after X/Y, they can easily make a third version in that time frame if they can do that.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a source that confirms Game Freak is making a game for the Switch? Don't want to sound like I'm in denial or anything, just that as far as I'm aware that was only a rumor, and I've seen a lot of people treating it as a fact without any citations today.

Neoxon

Game Freak & The Pokémon Company likely realized that if the Switch doesn't take off, they're in for a bad time financially going forward.

Dystify

Can you imagine the Japanese launch? It's already getting Splatoon, but throw in this, plus a potential Monster Hunter XX port.

It's time for this image to resurface:

Nintendo_605c37_386482.jpg

Splatoon, Pokémon, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest, 2D/3D Mario, ... all in one place. This image might even become reality.

Does anyone have a source that confirms Game Freak is making a game for the Switch? Don't want to sound like I'm in denial or anything, just that as far as I'm aware that was only a rumor, and I've seen a lot of people treating it as a fact without any citations today.

Eurogamer does, and they've been spot-on with Switch leaks.

Somnid

I'm sure there's plenty we don't know about. Emily Rogers has mentioned a new IP, for example.

I know, but the strength is relative. I'll be ecstatic if more people get some of the great Wii U games, and I'm rebuying a of them myself but it's also easy if you've been playing a lot of Nintendo to shrug it off. If I've already played Sun/Moon for a year, how valuable is Pokemon for Switch?

cheesekao

Yeah, there's a pretty huge mandate considering Game Freak co-owns Pokemon.
Yea but there are lots of other spin-offs not developed by GF. I wonder what kind of stuff needs to be done for someone other than GF to get their hands on the mainline series, even if it's just a port.

openrob

Wait, where did the Mario RPG come from??

Azuran

Banned
Yea but there are lots of other spin-offs not developed by GF. I wonder what kind of stuff needs to be done for someone other than GF to get their hands on the mainline series.

Nothing will be done about that because nobody actually wants or cares enough to get it done. At the end of the day, Game Freak is the heart of the series even if people don't agree with some of their decisions. If something has been working for 20 years, why change it?

If I can throw my meaningless opinion in...

I don't think this (the game OR the leak itself) is going to have much impact on things short term. A lot of us will double dip. I sure will, I wasn't waiting all the way until mid/late next year to play the 7th gen, and I'm not even a die hard Pokemon fan. Plus, third versions aren't exactly new, and we KNEW a Pokemon game was coming to Switch, we just didn't know what it was.

Consumers probably DO probably deserve to know there's a better version on a better console less than a year away. Makes for a more informed purchase, and Nintendo is only mad because they WANT you to double dip. But seeing as there are already (some) people talking about holding out for Stars, I can see this leak being a bit more serious for Nintendo than other recent ones.

Anyway, y'all see what I meant about "temper expectations" in regards to Eurogamer, although WHEW did Rabbids come out of nowhere!

cheesekao

Nothing will be done about that because nobody actually wants or cares enough to get it done. At the end of the day, Game Freak is the heart of the series even if people don't agree with some of their decisions. If something has been working for 20 years, why change it?
Because sometimes things can change for the better. Besides, it's not like a port is some kind of paradigm shift or anything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Interesting thing about this is that the Pokémon look great, but the backgrounds are hot garbage. Perhaps they prepared the character models for Switch quality already and now have to upgrade the other textures?

Pokemon models since Gen VI have always been really high quality. They've been future proof to be used at HD consoles.

It's why the games also have fps drops. You're using a very complex model in a 3DS.

oti

Banned

Making Switch a success is in their best interest after all. I could also see them benefiting from the first Pokémon game to arrive so early on the next console. If it was longer down the line people would expect way better graphics. That would surely explain the timing of Monster Hunter XX as well.

BowieZ

Banned
There's already a Pokemon named Celesteela. :) And we know what the 3rd legendary is.
Well I think that was a pretty damned good guess then, lol. Legendary, even.

Why is there already a third legendary in Sun/Moon? Oh, Zygarde... I though that was just a follow-up of X&Y, but there'd be a proper third legendary in Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom