• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon models since Gen VI have always been really high quality. They've been future proof to be used at HD consoles.

It's why the games also have fps drops. You're using a very complex model in a 3DS.

Yeah, I think the models used in Pokémon Go are the same models from the 3DS games, and they look pretty great in that.

DNAbro

Well I think that was a pretty damned good guess then, lol. Legendary, even.

Why is there already a third legendary in Sun/Moon? Oh, Zygarde... I though that was just a follow-up of X&Y, but there'd be a proper third legendary in Stars.

No, the 3rd legendary isn't Zygarde. Just like every game since Ruby/Sapphire there is a 3rd legendary.

Azuran

Banned
Because sometimes things can change for the better. Besides, it's not like a port is some kind of paradigm shift or anything.

Pokemon is THE handheld series. It never failed at getting people to buy Nintendo's handhelds and get them into that ecosystem.

You don't see how releasing a console version at the same time was a bit counter-productive? Business wise, there was a huge reason why there was never a console Pokemon game. Nintendo has always wanted you to buy an extra system to have a chance to play Pokemon.

This really gives the lie to Nintendo's claim that the Switch is not the successor to the 3DS. If there was one franchise I was expecting to linger on 3DS because of its history and because it prints money with minimal effort, it was Pokemon.

Siege.exe

Well I think that was a pretty damned good guess then, lol. Legendary, even.

Why is there already a third legendary in Sun/Moon? Oh, Zygarde... I though that was just a follow-up of X&Y, but there'd be a proper third legendary in Stars.
Necrozma is the third legendary to Solgaleo and Lunaala, and you can already catch it in Sun and Moon. Maybe it'll get a new form, but it has already been properly introduced

This really gives the lie to Nintendo's claim that the Switch is not the successor to the 3DS. If there was one franchise I was expecting to linger on 3DS because of its history and because it prints money with minimal effort, it was Pokemon.

Remember when the DS was totally just a third pillar not replacing the GBA at all?

The Lamp

They better fix the fucking Pokémon proportions next time.
images

Nibel

Y'all give Eurogamer too much shit for what is part of their job

Besides, I don't see how this will impact S/M sales; people outside of the hardcore gamer bubble don't even know about Stars or/and don't give much of a fuck (especially since the new version is a year away)

I'll get a switch probably about a month before it comes out then.
That will give me a little time to catch up on some of the launch window Switch games.

mrmickfran

I think that the fact that the Switch isn't BC probably helped. Every previous generational transition for Pokemon has been aided by backwards compatibility. B2/W2 came out a year after the 3DS, but you could play them on your 3DS, so it wasn't as big of a deal.

That makes sense. Now they have no excuse >:D

Game Freak & The Pokémon Company likely realized that if the Switch doesn't take off, they're in for a bad time financially going forward.

Making Switch a success is in their best interest after all. I could also see them benefiting from the first Pokémon game to arrive so early on the next console. If it was longer down the line people would expect way better graphics. That would surely explain the timing of Monster Hunter XX as well.

True, If Switch doesn't take off, there really would be nowhere to go for TPC.

I'll get a switch probably about a month before it comes out then.
That will give me a little time to catch up on some of the launch window Switch games.

I read this and thought you were buying a Switch a month before the console even releases! I was about to ask you who your connection is and how I can get in on this...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Besides, I don't see how this will impact S/M sales; people outside of the hardcore gamer bubble don't even know about Stars or/and don't give much of a fuck (especially since the new version is a year away)

Yeah, what die-hard Pokémon fan is going to say "Oh, I could wait an entire year and get it on a different console?" Probably not very many of them.

This is awesome. Switch is going to murder everything. Good luck to the people saying "I'll just wait and get a Switch when XXX game comes out." Mother fuckers act like they forgot about Wii.

Shirke

Not sure why they picked release week to say this, but it was sorta obvious Pokémon would come to the Switch. But when it's revealed, I know what I'm saving for next year.

cheesekao

Pokemon is THE handheld series. It never failed at getting people to buy Nintendo's handhelds and get them into that ecosystem.

You don't see how releasing a console version at the same time was a bit counter-productive? Business wise, there was a huge reason why there was never a console Pokemon game. Nintendo has always wanted you to buy an extra system to have a chance to play Pokemon.
Even if what you say is true, what about a third version port then? Based on Pokemon Platinum, the boost it had on DS sales weren't that significant.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah, what die-hard Pokémon fan is going to say "Oh, I could wait an entire year and get it on a different console?" Probably not very many of them.

This is awesome. Switch is going to murder everything. Good luck to the people saying "I'll just wait and get a Switch when XXX game comes out." Mother fuckers act like they forgot about Wii.

No die-hard Pokemon fan is going to say that because third version has been a staple since the series' inception. We just buy both of them instead of waiting a year for no reason. Anyways, part of the fun of Pokemon is playing it on release date and sharing your experience with others doing the same.

The only people surprised by this are those that probably have never played Pokemon or weren't interested in SM in the first place.

Oersted

Not sure why they picked release week to say this, but it was sorta obvious Pokémon would come to the Switch. But when it's revealed, I know what I'm saving for next year.

The Pokemon CEO said they are working on games for Switch, so more than sorta obvious.

Y'all saying Eclipse aren't making sense. Yellow isn't a mix of Red and Blue. Crystals aren't related to silver or gold. Platinum isn't some Diamond and Pearl intermediary.

But meanwhile, the three symbols on the safes in Virtue's Last Reward are Sun, Moon, and Star, and VLR is a good game.

Sun and Moon are thematic in a way the others aren't, Black and White being the exceptions.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The problem isn't EG, they are doing their job, the sources are

Well EG is to blame for the title, which is false. The actual story is the usual third entry (X&Y being the exception) will be on Switch rather than 3DS, so if you're the type of person who waits for the third entry, buy a Switch. If you want Sun and Moon, they're still 3DS exclusive.

Already seen people referring to the Sun and Moon ports elsewhere because they've just read the headline.

Menitta

My only issue with this is there's gonna be constant speculation about the 3rd version while Sun and Moon literally came out today. I don't even want to think about Star.

Am I missing your point? Switch is their future. One ecosystem from now on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well EG is to blame for the title, which is false. The actual story is the usual third entry (X&Y being the exception) will be on Switch rather than 3DS, so if you're the type of person who waits for the third entry, buy a Switch. If you want Sun and Moon, they're still 3DS exclusive.

Already seen people referring to the Sun and Moon ports elsewhere because they've just read the headline.

And Black and White (Black 2 and White 2 are sequels, not a enhanced third version.)
And Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

They haven't done a "third" version in a while.

LordRaptor

Its actually the week before if you assume Eurogamer = gaming for europeans, because we don't get pokemon until next week.

Galava

I don't see how this will impact S/M sales; people outside of the hardcore gamer bubble don't even know about Stars or/and don't give much of a fuck (especially since the new version is a year away)
This

But at the same time:
cw4ObWe.png

The average Joe will know that the game exists before it's even announced.

Moltenix

Those of you that think this is gonna affect 3DS Sun/Moon sales are nuts. This is Pokemon. Most people aren't going to wait a year for the Switch version. If anything, we're gonna see alot more people double dipping (including myself). This is like Nintendo's GTAV, there's no stopping this hype train.

kunonabi

So Nintendo's only worthwhile releases for this holiday are the nes classic and a portable mario party? Well, at least the switch is getting another upgraded port since it didn't have enough of those.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So Nintendo's only worthwhile releases for this holiday are the nes classic and a portable mario party? Well, at least the switch is getting another upgraded port since it didn't have enough of those.

By this logic, R&B, G&S, R&S and D&P were all not worthwhile releases because a third entry came out later.

LordRaptor

...what?

Do you actually believe Pokemon maybe getting a port to another platform in a years time means its not going to sell on a platform with a huge userbase this year, a year where a related title on mobile has been a literal phenomenon in the public consciousness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom