• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon third version: Pokemon Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those leakers will be shot down, hard.

I mean, this stuff right here is impacting Nintendo's profit from Sun/Moon because people are not bying those. They will hunt the leakers down and punish them.

They tried to swallow a fish too big, now they'll choke on it.

I am not sorry for them, have to say. They must feel important when they can read about their leaks from the internet.

Journalists are only doing their work, don't know why people are picking on them. But those leakers... Don't approve.

They are most likely from some localisation teams or the testers, because leaks are happening just now. And they are even from Japan games too. I can't believe that there's dozens upon dozens of leakers, there is absolutely some overlapping with all these reporters.

World is in a bad shape when nothing can be trusted anymore. Not liking this direction at all.

They could have released the news any other time other than launch day. If feels like they are deliberately trying to sabotage Nintendo and piss them off which is F***ked up

Cuningas de Häme;224903535 said:

I mean, this stuff right here is impacting Nintendo's profit from Sun/Moon because people are not bying those. They will hunt the leakers down and punish them.

I am not sorry for them, have to say. They must feel important when they can read about their leaks from the internet.

Journalists are only doing their work, don't know why people are picking on them. But those leakers... Don't approve.

They are most likely from some localisation teams or the testers, because leaks are happening just now. And they are even from Japan games too. I can't believe that there's dozens upon dozens of leakers, there is absolutely some overlapping with all these reporters.

World is in a bad shape when nothing can be trusted anymore. Not liking this direction at all.

There is always a third version. Everyone knows it's coming, and it doesn't impact the sales of the original two.

It does stink for Nintendo, though, from a surprise announcement standpoint.

DNAbro

why some y'all gotta be over dramatic

That's a pretty seductive opportunity. I might or might not be interested in waiting/double-dipping for a Switch version, but it depends on when it drops.*

*For me. Other people will just eat it up.

Lol you guys are crazy, Nintendo is going to sell through those 10 million copies of Sun/Moon with no issue and this news isn't going to hurt that. Stop being so dramatic.

Meh. This is how news is reported in every other entertainment industry in the world. The game industry needs to be less secretive and less concerned with trying to manufacture "hype" out of every single announcement. When there's a new movie, we typically hear about it through the nameless sources via Deadline, Hollywood Reporter, or Variety writers. The game industry is the only real entertainment industry that tries to make a huge deal about something as simple as the very existence of a game.

Par Score

It's a Pokemon game dude.

Wishing harm on people, people losing their jobs, bemoaning the state of the world over this? Come on.

13ruce

Banned
Switch to sell like hotcakes confirmed.

This lineup is looking insane if we're getting all these rumored games and then some in the first year.

Yeah looks like Nintendo is finally doing the right things after all these years, instead of kinda being stuck in the past like last gen (Wii U for example and the bad online stuff and region locks and the big sofware droughts).

There is always a third version. Everyone knows it's coming, and it doesn't impact the sales of the original two.

It does stink for Nintendo, though, from a surprise announcement standpoint.
They stopped doing third versions after Gen IV. So yeah, this is the first third version since 2008.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I can't figure out how to grab a link from my reddit app but someone pointed out that there's exclusive snorlax content that only goes to people who buy Sun/Moon by January 11th which is... right before the Switch event. Whoops.

what the

I'm happy about this, I thought it'd be 2019 until we get a mainline Switch Pokemon game as Generation's last around 3 years, but this will quench that thirst nicely.

So Gen 7 is getting a third version after all? Ouch that's gotta hurt for Zygarde and the pitiful existence that was X and Y.

Did you not like X and Y?

SCB3

I will probably bite, just for have a mainline Pokemon game in HD and in a TV.

Who knows, they might even include more than one region now.

It is an impossible dream, Gamefreak will never do that again.

the real dream is for all regions to be playable in one game and YOU choose where to start and go, earning any badges and facing the regional elite fours before the Ultra Elite 4

I have to laugh at anyone entertaining the idea that this leak will somehow put any appreciable dent in the sales of the 3DS versions. That being said, it makes my decision to hold off and play it on a system that should clean up the putrid IQ that much easier.

They stopped doing third versions after Gen IV. So yeah, this is the first third version since 2008.

There's always annual games though, with the exception of last year. We were either getting a third version, Sun2/Moon2, or D/P remakes next fall. This shouldn't be taken as a shock by anyone, no one who was planning to get Sun and Moon today should be canceling their pre-order. This game would've existed on 3DS, regardless. The only surprise here is that it's on the Switch.

Oh, and let's not forget that a large amount of Pokemon Sun/Moon buyers don't follow rumors/reports on NeoGAF and don't know squat about a third version coming out.

Neoxon

Oh, and let's not forget that a large amount of Pokemon Sun/Moon buyers don't follow rumors/reports on NeoGAF and don't know squat about a third version coming out.
True, but isn't the news trending on Twitter right now? Not to mention the dozens of gaming news sites that'll pick up the news.

You do have a point with the kids & their parents who won't hear about this, though.

Kneefoil

I waited for third versions with Gens V and VI, though no such version ever came out in either case. As a result I was going to get Pokémon Sun or Moon at launch, but with this and the previous rumours about a Switch GameFreak Pokémon game, I think I'll wait again. Maybe Stars won't start chugging in those photo scenes or in double battles either.

Wiz

Lol you guys are crazy, Nintendo is going to sell through those 10 million copies of Sun/Moon with no issue and this news isn't going to hurt that. Stop being so dramatic.

This. Did Smash Wii U stop Smash 3DS from selling so much? Nope.

Could have a similar situation here.

Retrobox

Uhhh I think Nintendo is going to be just fine with this free exposure they're getting. It's never bad to have people talk about your products / future.

Sun and Moon will crash the charts regardless, it's too late to stop that train.

KAL2006

Banned

Although Black and White 2 are not 3rd version I'd still include them as 3rd version and a extention of the Black and White generation.

The only generation that didn't get a 3rd version is X and Y

Somnid

Really f***ed of them to release this on launch day.

It doesn't matter. Only a very specific set of people will have heard, believe and wait and there's a good chance these people will likely forget or pass next time as well because it was more hype-talk than anything. If anyone follows through Nintendo and Pokemon Company will still get that sale.

People are in here acting like Nintendo has never, ever released an updated version of a Pokemon game a year after launch before.

The only difference is it's on a new platform now. Third versions almost never have any impact on the original's sales. This is nothing new.

There's always annual games though, with the exception of last year. We were either getting a third version, Sun2/Moon2, or D/P remakes next fall. This shouldn't be taken as a shock by anyone, no one who was planning to get Sun and Moon today should be canceling their pre-order. This game would've existed on 3DS, regardless. The only surprise here is that it's on the Switch.
Yeah, I knew we were getting something else next year. They're not going to cut this gen short after about a year.
I don't mind though. I still bought third versions even when I already had the first pair of games.
NOW A MORE POWERFUL SYSTEM WILL GUARANTEE A BATTLE FRONTIER

Although Black and White 2 are not 3rd version I'd still include them as 3rd version and a extention of the Black and White generation.

The only generation that didn't get a 3rd version is X and Y
Which sucks because a Z version could have really saved those games.

To be honest, the annual releases aren't always a thing. Localization speeding up between Gen V and VI skewed people's perception of it. Platinum didn't release until 2 years after Diamond/Pearl and BW2 didn't release until over a year and a half after BW.

this sounds less like Liam Neeson's Taken speech than you think it does, trust me

Mr-Joker

Banned
I guess
new forms of Marshadow and Necrozma
are a possibility now.

By new Pokemon, it could just mean pre-existing Pokemon being added to the game, which is nothing new for third versions/sequels.

The battle models are pretty much sorted already, since they're futureproof. The backgrounds will need work though.

It also could mean more Alolan form with them going beyond gen 1 Pokémon.

Did you not like X and Y?

No, I found it to be too regressive and disappointing in many department.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Are you also an expert on Japanese culture?

Lets look at it the opposite way, if sun and moon sells less because people wait for star on switch, that means they're buying a switch. May actually be a bigger win for Nintendo.

NSESN

Guys you can probably buy a 2ds + pokemon for less than 100$
Swith + Stars will be much more expensive, and people will have to wait almost an year to play.
Sun and Moon sales will be fine

Meier

This is theoretically coming out over a year from now. I can't really see why someone who was interested in Sun/Moon would hold off on playing the game until then personally. It's more like a potential companion piece IMO.

KAL2006

Banned
Lets look at it the opposite way, if sun and moon sells less because people wait for star on switch, that means they're buying a switch. May actually be a bigger win for Nintendo.

Very true in fact they should market all 3 versions at the same time with each version having their own exclusive Pokémon. A Pokémon Stars for launch would be huge. This rumour suggest this is a traditional 3rd version coming much later after the originals.

Oh no, they're only going to sell 17,999,950 copies instead of 18 million. The humanity.

PMS341

eyGRcT1.gif

I already bought Sun, this will also be bought. This is an amazing surprise!

This is theoretically coming out over a year from now. I can't really see why someone who was interested in Sun/Moon would hold off on playing the game until then personally. It's more like a potential companion piece IMO.

I agree, my significant other decided not to get the 3DS version since the interest was not there. The Switch version would be more up their ally. Since they could play it on a TV.

A third version? Goddamn I'm hyped. Sun and Moon are good games but a third version could make them into the best games in the series bar none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom