• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Don't trust the Russian or trains-Part 3

How many sessions until Kabouter gets annexed by some scrub AI country?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Well that felt alright. By using my army as a marine corps, I managed to improve the warscore against the 8 nation coalition from -99% to -67%, and made a somewhat decent peace. I lost Dalmatia, Ragusa, Corfu, Naxos and Crete, but kept Brescia and the Papal States. Which is better than I thought.

Sadly, I don't know if I'll be available for next Sunday, so I might have to leave it there on somewhat of a high note. But hopefully not. Still, not the first player knocked out the game! Get in.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you've kept the Papacy and Brescia, you're laughing - the rest of the Venetian territories ultimately are never going to be as useful as actually controlling Italian mainland.

Uzzy

Yeah, that's why I took the peace deal the moment it came up. I can retake Dalmatia in 1469, and vassalise Ragusa, so those two provinces can return to the fold swiftly. Losing the mediterranean islands does mean I've got less trade power in the Constantinople/Alexandria/Aleppo trade nodes, so I might have to see about retaking Crete at some point to help with that.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, that's why I took the peace deal the moment it came up. I can retake Dalmatia in 1469, and vassalise Ragusa, so those two provinces can return to the fold swiftly. Losing the mediterranean islands does mean I've got less trade power in the Constantinople/Alexandria/Aleppo trade nodes, so I might have to see about retaking Crete at some point to help with that.

I think the ottomans are at that at this very moment actually.

CloudWolf

So, Chrome won't open NeoGAF for some reason, so I'm using *gulp* IE to post this. Anyway...

Sweden - AAR:

Spent my game building up a power base to fight Denmark again for Blekinge and the independence of Norway... but then Norway became independent all by themselves. Of course I celebrated this fact by declaring war on Norway and taking my core and Bohuslan from them. Unfortunately I couldn't take the mission to vassalize them, but with a little luck that will come later. When that was was over I didn't waste any time and declared on Denmark with my ally The Hansa. We killed their navy and now we ended the game with me and Bjaelke sieging every Danish province.

Other stuff I did: I diplo-annexed Gotland (by the way, I do not like the new mechanics for diplo-annexing, farewell my sweet, sweet diplo rep :'( ), allied Muscovy for some reason, broke that alliance almost immediately because I didn't want to join up against Novgorod and my heir died... but he was almost immediately replaced by a 6/5/4 heir, so that worked out well.

And here's another Swedish pop song for you to enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCorJG9mubk

fanboi

Banned
Scotland AAR
01/11/1457 - 04/08/1468

Not so much happened.

Quelched some revolts early in the session was the most intresting.

Also, watching England handle the 40k rebels was intresting since France DoW... jumped on their ships, starteded seiging then peaced out... and helped England with the rebels.

Annexed my vassal (Munster?) then DoW on Norway to take Orkney and the other islands.

Next session... truce with England ends.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Poland AAR
01/11/1457 - 04/08/1468

Summary:

At the end of last session Muscovy declared war on Novgorod for a second time, which turned out to be not the smartest move Kremlin has ever done, as they well deservedly got rekkkkt. It was a long and bloody war, but now they're in shambles, as the Golden Horde (which diplo-annexed Kazan this session) got in on the action after their army was gone as well. I messed up a bit when peacing out, and grabbed provinces for Poland instead of Lithuania (since I for the life of me couldn't figure out how to do it at the time - I think possibly they wouldn't take them, as they have a minus 1000 modifier on all these provinces when I tried to sell them to them for 0 afterwards), which was a bitter after-taste to the sweet feel of victory. :( Bye, bye admin points, and 'lo Russian nationalists.

Provinces gained: Rzhev, Kaluga, Tula.

Morfeo

Poland AAR
01/11/1457 - 04/08/1468

Summary:

At the end of last session Muscovy declared war on Novgorod for a second time, which turned out to be not the smartest move Kremlin has ever done, as they well deservedly got rekkkkt. It was a long and bloody war, but now they're in shambles, as the Golden Horde (which diplo-annexed Kazan this session) got in on the action after their army was gone as well. I messed up a bit when peacing out, and grabbed provinces for Poland instead of Lithuania (since I for the life of me couldn't figure out how to do it at the time - I think possibly they wouldn't take them, as they have a minus 1000 modifier on all these provinces when I tried to sell them to them for 0 afterwards), which was a bitter after-taste to the sweet feel of victory. :( Bye, bye admin points, and 'lo Russian nationalists.

Provinces gained: Rzhev, Kaluga, Tula.

I think you can only request them for yur vassal if they have a core on them - which they probably lack on all of those.

Kabouter

I think you can only request them for yur vassal if they have a core on them - which they probably lack on all of those.

Nah, you can transfer any occupation to subjects and demand them for them. Vassal feeding is essentially unlimited now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, you can transfer any occupation to subjects and demand them for them. Vassal feeding is essentially unlimited now.

Ok, but you have to do that before peacing out? -- of course, fuck. I thought I was supposed to do it in the sue for peace menu.. lololol

CloudWolf

Ok, but you have to do that before peacing out? -- of course, fuck. I thought I was supposed to do it in the sue for peace menu.. lololol
You can press on the shield in the province window to change occupation. But yeah, this needs to be done in the war.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You can press on the shield in the province window to change occupation. But yeah, this needs to be done in the war.

Yeah, I know. I did that to transfer control of some Muscovite provinces to Novgorod, but for some stupid reason I thought it was different for my own subjects. X|

Morfeo

Ok I didnt know this new rule was so great. Definitely fucked up by having so many different vassals then - when I could just feed it all into one.

Edit: Not great as in a great system, which is certainly is not, but great as in powerful.

Kabouter

Ok I didnt know this new rule was so great. Definitely fucked up by having so many different vassals then - when I could just feed it all into one.

Edit: Not great as in a great system, which is certainly is not, but great as in powerful.

It's fine as a system tbh, the large amount of autonomy you get upon annexing vassals makes up for it, and feeding at an insane rate just causes rebel uprisings with your vassals, which the AI often can't deal with as well as a player.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
In my opinion it's now better to have fewer, larger vassals, as long as you're willing to absorb the entire diplo annexation cost all at once. If you have to keep annexing smaller vassals, then it's going to simply tank your diplomatic reputation, and that affects annexation speed, diplomatic actions, etc. Plus diplomatic reputation is much dearer in 1.8 due to the adviser nerf. Diplomatic and influence ideas actually matter now if you plan to do a lot of vassal annexing.

Kabouter

I think with 1.8 the best rule of thumb generally is to make vassals when you intend to keep them around for a while and actually use them for warring and the like, and just annex provinces directly if all you're planning to do is get new territories.

fanboi

Banned
GIF Map:

kTAVl1i.gif

fanboi

Banned
Hmm... seems like a new hotfix is out (not sure what is new since most of this is the old patch notes):

This is a hotfix for 1.8, primarily to address performance and MP stability issues.

To use this hotfix, go into your steam library, right click Europa Universalis IV, choose 'Properties', click the 'BETAS' tab, and select the 1.8.1-beta option from the drop down box. If you can't see this beta option, try restarting Steam.

This is a BETA, so you use it at your own risk!

Discuss the hotfix here.

###################
# Gamebalance
###################
- Naval battles once again contribute warscore to wars.

###################
#AI
###################
- AI: Much less willing to end a war if they are fully occupying the enemy warleader and 5 years have not passed.

###################
# Interface
###################
- Compressed autosaves is now turned off by default.

###################
# Usermodding
###################
- Modding: fixed bug where supported_version wasn't saved when uploading a mod to the steam workshop.

###################
# Script
###################
- Egypt can no longer be formed by Arabia.
- Celestial Empire and Hordes can no longer get the Peasants' War event.

###################
# Bugfixes
###################
- Fixed a performance issue caused by AI trying to use certain AoW features when Art of War was not enabled that could cause significant slowdown on some machines.
- Marches can no longer pick rivals or be rivaled.
- Patriots will no longer spawn in nations that would be friendly to them.
- Fixed a bug where you couldn't decrease the amount of light ship in army builder if you didnd’t have access to heavy ships yet.
- Fixed a multiplayer crash caused by host and players differing in whether Art of War was enabled.
- Fixed a bug where forming a nation could cause you to lose cores on provinces you had previously gained as cores from other decisions (Qing from Manchu, for example).
- Fixed an exploit where you could add multiple idea groups at the same time.
- Fixed an issue where certain GUI elements could cause major performance slowdown.
- Fixed checksum not calculated correctly for very large save files.
- Memory optimizations, should be about 100mb less now.
- Fixed OOS related to Papacy.
- Fixed OOS related to building all mercenaries.
- Fixed crash when recalling merchants from end nodes.
- Attacking natives now works correctly in new provinces in new provinces added in 1.8.
- You no longer lose all cardinals as soon as you get 8 cardinals.
- Fixed "distant borders" penalty bug after creating a new country and changing your country tag.
- Fixed naval supply range not being updated when coring a province.
- Fixed a bug where papal actions would not work correctly for non-monarchies due to other actions not being available.

ETA: if you are having any new crashes, black flags or shields, or any other such weird issue since this patch, Please try a full clean re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "delete local content" in Steam-EU4
- opt into the 1.8.1 hotfix in the STeam beta tab
- manually delete all files and folders left under Steam/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox/EU4
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just noticed that I am the Russian now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think it's a trade company, how do I tell?

I read something about not being able to westernize off of islands.

EDIT: Oh, I see, they're like Colonial Nations.

Fucking Paradox are you joking?

Fitz

I don't think it's a trade company, how do I tell?

I read something about not being able to westernize off of islands.

Not sure what the deal is with islands, but I'd guess that it would work because of the strait? Pretty sure European nations always transfer provinces to trade companies when possible though, trade company map mode should help.

edit: if you've got a big enough navy to hold them off you can just capture the province, owning a core of theirs will also allow you to westernise.

Haly

edit: if you've got a big enough navy to hold them off you can just capture the province, owning a core of theirs will also allow you to westernise.

Theres a colonial nation circlejerk of GB - Portugal - Castille, it's not a risk I'm willing to take tbh. Thanks, though, now I know one more thing that would've dicked me over in a MP game.

Save file got corrupted, too bad.

RIP glorious Qing dynasty. The white devils have no idea how lucky they are.

Haly

Ajuuraan Ironman.
Not sure where to go from here. For a few hours, I was toying with the idea of going for WC, until I realized I couldn't easily become Catholic like Ryukyu can, so I can't become Emperor of HRE, so I can't abuse Revoke the Privilagia.

Dunno what to do now. Maybe take over Africa and then beat up Russia.

Kabouter

Ajuuraan Ironman.

Not sure where to go from here. For a few hours, I was toying with the idea of going for WC, until I realized I couldn't easily become Catholic like Ryukyu can, so I can't become Emperor of HRE, so I can't abuse Revoke the Privilagia.

Dunno what to do now. Maybe take over Africa and then beat up Russia.

Try to take all of Africa and Asia, you would've had to do that anyway even without Revoke the Privilegia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom