• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

So are the Timurids. Lithuania, Venice and Tunis all are strong regional powers, and arguably the strongest in their respective regions at the start of the game. Add Ethiopia and AI Ottomans to the mix, and I'll be going down in no time.

Venice too strong.

3WGPeyc.png

No, that's Aragon.

Ehhhhh. For one Aragon is mostly in Iberia, for the other, Naples+Sicily are not really that powerful in terms of basetax. The Northern Italian provinces are much more valuable, and Aragon also doesn't get a university to start off. Plus, of course, Venice is sitting on an end node for trade which also is stupidly hard to take from Venice.
Plus of course, Venice has more options by going into the Balkans or use Crete as a jumpboard into Asia/Africa.

And if you can manage to buddy up with Austria, there's really nobody in the immediate area that'll be a threat to you. Aragon always has the threat of being taken by France or Castile, or get PU'd under the latter as well.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What about Austria? Aragon generally doesn't move up in the peninsula really quickly because of them...

And Südtirol is in the Italian region :p

Northern Italy is basically Germany with their Gewürztraminers and what not

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What about Austria? Aragon generally doesn't move up in the peninsula really quickly because of them...

And Südtirol is in the Italian region :p

Austria has better things to do than form Italy, whereas it is one of Aragon's best strategies and in many way arguably better than forming Spain. Naples and Sicily don't need to be that wealthy when you have all those tasty Catalan provinces; Naples is literally just there to act as a springboard. Aragon definitely has more options than Venice, too - they have equally good access to the Balkans and can colonize more easily.

Your only real worry is Castile. France starts too big to rival you and with proper diplomatic care they should stay that way. Given you share a dynasty with Castile it is relatively easy to force a PU on them.

Steeven

I was planning on playing Bohemia until it became a 3.42 nation, rather than a 3.46. Damn you guys. I wanted to form Prussia! (Mostly because Prussia has Major Motoko Kusanagi on it's flag in the finest EU4 mod)

My Brandenburg army would have resisted your puny attempts to capture the motherland anyway.

France starts too big to rival you and with proper diplomatic care they should stay that way.

Really depends on your RNG rolls. Sometimes they swap hostile to you, and they almost always want to take Roussillon at some point.

Not saying Aragon is a bad start, by any means, it's a strong country, but I feel like it's not the top dog in either of the 2 regions it's spread across.

mkenyon

Banned
Don't count out Tuscany.

7eDoODS.png

Throw in Innovative, and you've got yourself a powerhouse in a short amount of time. Especially since it's an HRE nation.

Yeah, Tuscany and also Milan are really strong as well. I used Tuscany for my Italy achievement run.
I feel Savoy would have immense potential if it wasn't between a rock and a hard place (France always being in your backyard, and being surrounded by only HRE, with Austria virtually bordering you).

CloudWolf

Don't count out Tuscany.
After my last SP game, I will never count out Tuscany again

Yeah, Tuscany and also Milan are really strong as well. I used Tuscany for my Italy achievement run.
I feel Savoy would have immense potential if it wasn't between a rock and a hard place (France always being in your backyard, and being surrounded by only HRE, with Austria virtually bordering you).
I united Italy as Savoy and the most nerve-wrecking part is the fact that if you border France, they can take a mission that grants them claims on all your lands. The first thing you have to do is either form Sardinia-Piedmont or kill France. After that Savoy is pretty damn strong.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I mean, in the event that there is an Ottoman player or a Muscovite player pretty much anything bordering them is no longer top, yes. That's not because the Timurids aren't good, it is because the Ottomans and Muscovy are much better. But by the same logic, Portugal is even worse and you still can't justify putting Portugal above the Mamluks - Portugal is not surviving long if there is a Castile player who is truly competitive. They have less survival potential than the Timurids, certainly, given Ottomans have to chew their way through Qara at the very least, whereas as a competitive Castile literally the first thing I would do is DoW Portugal to get rid of a colonial competitor and get some same-culture group provinces. I mean, I did it as Aragon, right, who are a much worse nation than Castile (sorry Valhelm).

I'd also favour a good Timurids player againt a good Mamluks player. Having even a two tech advantage probably does not make up for the fact the Timurids start with around just under double the manpower and force limits. I must have reformed QQ in patch 1.8; I'm almost certain the requirement was 90 when I did it.

EDIT: You're not even burning that much MIL. I just checked their start - you have 5 provinces with 1.1 revolt risk at start. That's it.
That's true, but Portugal has options even at the beginning of the game (especially if there is a French player). Whereas there's no good way to reform your government if your legitimacy won't cooperate (the Timurid idea for +1 legitimacy helps, but it isn't a true panacea). And if the multiplayer environment is particularly hyper-competitive, you can't afford to fall behind the other players. Any nation with those kind of conditions probably isn't in the top ten.

I had more of an argument typed up, but I just found out that the legitimacy requirement to reform a horde government was changed from 90 to 60 in patch 1.9. That's unfortunate, because it would have affected my score of the Timurids and maybe other horde nations. I must have reformed QQ in patch 1.8; I'm almost certain the requirement was 90 when I did it.

Edit: To continue the argument, why is there such a large disparity between the Timurids and, say, Ming? Both nations are similar in that they tend to under-perform in the hands of the AI but are immensely powerful in the hands of a human player. And when westernized Ming is a top five power. The difference is that unlike the Timurids, Ming really does have no competition in the region, at least until the Europeans arrive.

Valhelm

contribute something
I already know who's gonna die in session 1. Hint:
it's me

The Mamluks are enormous, and it will likely take more than one session for the Ottomans to be able to beat you in war without significant losses and instability.

Given that you're a player, there's nothing stopping you from allying with Christian powers. In another mutliplayer game I somehow managed to ally with AI Mamluks as Castile, and we successfully contained the Autobots within the boundaries of modern Greece and Turkey.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wth, Gamma on Steam? Haha, that seems like Kabouter was making a note somewhere and accidentally used the rename option :p

Kabouter

Wth, Gamma on Steam? Haha, that seems like Kabouter was making a note somewhere and accidentally used the rename option :p

I can't rename myself, but Gamma wanted something recognizable, and the nickname 'Gamma' was taken, so... :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When are we going to have eu mp mk8 tourney?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget to put concrete slab under your buildings!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So the new patch is out Sunday 8th.

With everyone having picked nations and all, how about starting next Wednesday (March 11th) instead?

patchnotes said:
Furthermore, Tunis must be destroyed.

wtf? Paradox hating on Toma confirmed

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'd strongly prefer to start on the Sunday (15th).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom