• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

AAR - 17/09/13 - Kingdom of Naples

Just a brief summary from me today, will do a full write-up once my war is over. My fight against the Ottomans started really well, but they got access through Moldavia, Lithuania and Crimea I believe, allowing one of their dreaded armies over to my side of the sea, not good. :p I managed to get my army out of there after taking a beating but my plan has gone out the window. It wouldn't be quite as bad if I hadn't blindly taken the -5 stab hit from FACE and his damn truce breaking! I'll still be able to pull a win, but I don't see it being as successful as I thought.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow I feel "Hotjoining for Glory" would be better replaced by "The Glory of Hotjoining".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm on a CK2 kick but I'm very interested in playing in these.

How do I join up or do I need to wait for the next round?

FACE

Banned
AAR - Castile - 17/09/13

Won a wor against Granada and regained three provinces I had lost due to rebels, entered an alliance and a Royal Marriage with France, also entered an alliance with Morfeo(Savoy) and accidentally screwed Fitz by starting another war with Granada before the truce period expired.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original + 3
Vassals or PU: Aragon
At War with: Granada

Haly

I will bring forth the flood of Jihad.

So, this is going down at like, 5PM EST on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays? How do I hotjoin a game?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
AAR - Savoy- 17/09/13

The game started out with poor Savoy in a terrible condition after last sessions expantionistic ferrarian policy, so the Duke of Savoy quickly decided to stop this threat to the north-italian peace once and for all, and declared a preemtive war on our war-mongering neighbours. Unfortunately for us, Venice intervened on the ferrarian side, so I called my peace-loving french neighbours into the war for protection. The war lasted for some time with quite a few battles between the different factions, but it seemed both Venice and Savoy was eager to avoid direct fight - and therefore never engaged eachother directly in battle. In the end it was clear that the army of the italian people had won a glorious victory, and the ferrara-venetian alliance had to accept to give up a neutrality zone in the western provinces of Modena and Pisa.

Shortly after, it was time to secure the mountain passes for italian merchants, so the italo-swiss war of the St. Bernhard was declared, and the clearly more motivated troops of the italians peoples army was quickly victorious and secured Bern, St. Gallen and the expantionist swiss conquest of Ulm. However, thanks to a poor king and some nasty random events, the savoyan diplomatic power never recovered enough to make peace with the barbarian mountain people, and the war lasted for the entirety of the session.

Next, our diplomats unwisely suggested an alliance with Castille, which quickly dragged us into an unwinnable war with the now catholic moors of Iberia. And as this was not enough, our old ferrarian war-loving neighbours declared war again, ready to once again upset the peace-loving ambrosian countryside. This time, the Doge was wise enough to stay out of the conflict, and even though the heretical Pope and the drunken badians decided to join togheter with Ferrara, we quickly got the support of our friends the french (while our so-called allies the castillians stayed at home and rejected the call to arms) wiped the anti-peaceloving coalitions armys, and started besieging both of their provinces - which was also the situation when the game ended.

Alliances: France, Provence
Province Count: 14 (original+8)
Vassals or PU: Milan
At War with: Granada, Ferrara, Papal State, Salzburg, Switzerland,

FACE

Banned
[...]which quickly dragged us into an unwinnable war with the now catholic moors of Iberia[...]

Actually, Granada was severely weakened by rebels. They didn't even have any military regiments when I declared war.

Morfeo

Actually, Granada was severely weakened by rebels. They didn't even have any military regiments when I declared war.

At least it was unwinnable from a savoyan perspective. why did you even call me into it lol - just to break the alliance a few months later :)

EDIT: It also was kind of a joke on your expense, considering the way your campaign have been going so far :) Hope you take them out, unite the iberian peninsula and finally join the quest for european domination soon!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm on a CK2 kick but I'm very interested in playing in these.

How do I join up or do I need to wait for the next round?

I will bring forth the flood of Jihad.

So, this is going down at like, 5PM EST on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays? How do I hotjoin a game?

Sorry to break the illusion for now. Not sure we can have someone join as Ottomans right now. Any somewhat easily playable country is probably too close to someone elses plans atm, but maybe others here think differently. I am inclined to not have anyone join for this round anymore personally though.

Opinions?

Haly

No problem, I'm fine with waiting. Whatever you guys are comfortable with.

Morfeo

Yeah, I forgot Naples was still in war with the Ottos - that excludes that possibility, at least for now. I still think it would make the game much more interesting if we could get human players to take over France and the Ottomans though. Getting Austria was a step in the right direction (even though it might have completely blocaded my own progress to the north), and if the other superpowers would follow the game would be more fun. IMO.

Haly

I wouldn't mind taking a minor power honestly, and just dicking around.

Surely some native americans are available. You guys can subjugate me when you get there.

Kabouter

Yeah, I've been thinking about an EU game too, given that the current sessions are so short because we can only really manage 11PM-midnight. Would anyone be interested in an EU game?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Me too.

Sorry to break the illusion for now. Not sure we can have someone join as Ottomans right now. Any somewhat easily playable country is probably too close to someone elses plans atm, but maybe others here think differently. I am inclined to not have anyone join for this round anymore personally though.

Opinions?

I think Ottomans should be out of the question, unless we start immediately a blood bath in Europe. :)
But I think there is still room for a player outside Europe.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR - Austria - 17/09/13

Had several small wars (one started by me and the rest by my smaller allies) and countless rebel punishment expeditions. Following these I conquered Augsburg and München and now I fight with severe over-expansion, but things will going to settle down pretty soon. I consolidated the peaceful (almost Savoyan like peaceful :p) Central Europe by completing two alliances with Venice and Naples. We have a common enemy - the Ottomans. I hope this will also translate into a peaceful :)P) Italy. Now I'm thinking that the alliance Savoy-France-Castille should be compensated by something in the West. Burgundy?

Province Count: Previous + 2
Vassals or PU: none
At War with: none

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Opinions?

I agree the Ottomans are out of the question, but I'm pretty happy with a more the merrier approach. The Timurids are still going free, right? Someone could pick up them.

Fitz

I'm up for more, sign me up for an EU session.

As far as adding to our current session goes, I believe anywhere in Europe outside of maybe north/central Germany is a bad idea. I think having Europe jam-packed is actually a good idea, the issue is that we've already started and have mostly been avoided PvP. Adding someone in next to other people when the game has already started wouldn't really be fair imo.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah, I've been thinking about an EU game too, given that the current sessions are so short because we can only really manage 11PM-midnight. Would anyone be interested in an EU game?

EU as in Europe? The game we currently do IS the europe session and the US peeps didnt get to make a game.

Morfeo

AAR - Austria - 17/09/13

Had several small wars (one started by me and the rest by my smaller allies) and countless rebel punishment expeditions. Following these I conquered Augsburg and München and now I fight with severe over-expansion, but things will going to settle down pretty soon. I consolidated the peaceful (almost Savoyan like peaceful :p) Central Europe by completing two alliances with Venice and Naples. We have a common enemy - the Ottomans. I hope this will also translate into a peaceful :)P) Italy. Now I'm thinking that the alliance Savoy-France-Castille should be compensated by something in the West. Burgundy?

Province Count: Previous + 2
Vassals or PU: none
At War with: none

So basically you are saying that my alliance with the ubern00b Castille (that broke up last time btw) and the AI-controlled France should be countered by four experienced players? I mean, its flattering, but come on, I am by far the weakest of all the nations in our area.

Edit: About more people joining in Europe, I understand that it sucks for some players to suddenly have a player at their borders, but remember, we already did this with Austria, who now borders both me, Venice, Burgundy and Poland - and I was for that as well even though it seems that didnt exactly transform into a more favorable position for poor and peace-loving Savoy. I just seem to think that the european theatre would be more interesting with players controlling the mayor nations - whether that goes against my savoyan interests or not. I guess its pretty clear that a human ottoman would be in my personal advantage - but a human France would definitely not. So I say: Add humans to both.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So basically you are saying that my alliance with the ubern00b Castille (that broke up last time btw) and the AI-controlled France should be countered by four experienced players?

I was no involving Naples and Venice into this. Just poor little peaceful Austria. That needs to secure its border. And little Burgundy, caught up between the big powerful France and bloodthirsty Savoy. Plus Castille being not far enough. Sounds logic to me (and AI approves by giving tasks like this).

Let the emperor decide the way to go. He still has his heart with beautiful Savoy lands, but the safety of the empire is more important.

And maybe "ubern00b" Castille should get an insult CB out of this. :))))

Kabouter

EU as in Europe? The game we currently do IS the europe session and the US peeps didnt get to make a game.

It might be a Europe session, but we're still playing at non-ideal times.

I'm up for more, sign me up for an EU session.

As far as adding to our current session goes, I believe anywhere in Europe outside of maybe north/central Germany is a bad idea. I think having Europe jam-packed is actually a good idea, the issue is that we've already started and have mostly been avoided PvP. Adding someone in next to other people when the game has already started wouldn't really be fair imo.

No room in Asia either really, we've got three strong nations all expanding, any new player is going to feel that very quickly.

Toma

It might be a Europe session, but we're still playing at non-ideal times.

Which times would be more ideal for the other session you are suggesting?

AAR - 1479-1487 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
I mostly spent my time doing small thankless administrative tasks. Turning my new Hungarian provinces into cores got my overextension down to nothing from 40%. I also replaced the culture in one of the provinces and started to convert my two Orthodox provinces to Catholicism.

I continued to research Trade and unlocked a 5th merchant and a 3rd diplomat. My republican tradition is also up to 80+ again. My fellow co-players informed me about a trade steering bug and by reassigning my merchants I was able to increase my monthly profits significantly.

Savoy decided to invade my ally Ferrara and in the defensive war I mostly kept out of the way except for killing a few smaller Milanese and French troops. The war ended with Savoy claiming the two southern provinces. My initial plan was to turn the remaining two provinces into a vassal, but just before we quit Ferrara decided to attack Savoy/France/Provence in a war for reconquest and then I decided to drop our alliance. If they're going to drag me into wars against superpowers then I'll annex them by military force instead.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 7 (no change)
Vassals: Naxos
Allies: Austria, Bohemia
At War With: None

Morfeo

I was no involving Naples and Venice into this. Just poor little peaceful Austria. That needs to secure its border. And little Burgundy, caught up between the big powerful France and bloodthirsty Savoy. Plus Castille being not far enough. Sounds logic to me (and AI approves by giving tasks like this).

Let the emperor decide the way to go. He still has his heart with beautiful Savoy lands, but the safety of the empire is more important.

And maybe "ubern00b" Castille should get an insult CB out of this. :))))

So let me get this straight: You want Burgundy to fight me? (We need to talk on steam later btw)

I'm fine with expanding our current game to include the hour before, but I don't have time to play two multiplayer games simultaneously.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So let me get this straight: You want Burgundy to fight me? (We need to talk on steam later btw)

Why would I want something that is already happening? Neah, I just explore my options. I might not have a priority in the West for now, but I still keep a close eye on it.

Meanwhile the East can get quite hot, with Poland in a bloodshed spree and menacing my protegee, Wallachia.

Morfeo

Why would I want something that is already happening? Neah, I just explore my options. I might not have a priority in the West for now, but I still keep a close eye on it.

Meanwhile the East can get quite hot, with Poland in a bloodshed spree and menacing my protegee, Wallachia.

I dont know what you want, but you definitely succed in making me nervous, thats for sure. Remember, as Emperor - you should protect your vassals - not conquer and destroy them!

Fitz

I dont know what you want, but you definitely succed in making me nervous, thats for sure. Remember, as Emperor - you should protect your vassals - not conquer and destroy them!

By that logic he should be attacking you for going after Ferrara and Switzerland. :p

FACE

Banned
At least it was unwinnable from a savoyan perspective. why did you even call me into it lol - just to break the alliance a few months later :)

EDIT: It also was kind of a joke on your expense, considering the way your campaign have been going so far :) Hope you take them out, unite the iberian peninsula and finally join the quest for european domination soon!

I, uh, forgot I was allied with some human players(sorry Fitz).

Sounds like I'm going to get boned by the AI on thursday, lovely. :p

Fitz

Don't worry about it, I was so flustered from the unexpected appearance of an Ottoman army that I didn't check the message properly, the red -5 didn't register in my mind until I'd already clicked the button.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Actually it would fit my agenda better playing tonight than tomorrow. But I will probably be available also tomorrow.

Morfeo

By that logic he should be attacking you for going after Ferrara and Switzerland. :p

Or himself for the mayhem he's been causing in Switzerland, Augsburg, Munich etc. Anyway, that should be read as a joke from my part - we are all war-mongerers here - but as a part of the empire, at least I contribute to his wealth in manpower and money - and the reason why the subjects of the Emperor do is exactly because they are getting protection in return.

Edit: As a huge nerd, I am ready for an extra session, but I think I prefer us to keep the thursdays over wednesdays. I may change if that is what the majority wants though.

Toma

I like the idea of a bonus session.
Definitely for Thursday instead of Wednesday's, but I am all for the bonus session today as well. Who is missing who didn't agree to it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom