• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Europe had better get its act together if it wants a piece of the colonial pie. Between the Indians and the Japanese it seems like it's going to be gobbled up fast! No slacking AI here.
Portugal has already reached Brazil and they will conquer most of the continent before any other nation makes it there. Africa will be a bit more busy now that at least four human players are interested in it.

fanboi

Banned
AAR - 22/09/2013 - Burgundy

Haven't made one of these in a while since nothing really happened.

Anyhow, the former emperor (while he was emperor) let me reclaim Utrecht and Holland land after the French war where I was forced to free them. But, Denmark intervened with getting a personal union with Holland, ending the war of reclaim nation of Holland.

Meanwhile, I fought Utrecht and their allies, where Bohemia, the new emperor joined the war. Austria swiftly moved in and fought them back while we ceased control of Utrecht and whole nation of TIer.

Our forces of 20k moved into Bohemia lands where we ambushed fleeing Bohemian forces, utterly annihilating them.

War ended with Burgundy getting Utrecht and two provinces from Tier.

When is the French going to attack?

Province Count: +4(Utrecht and Tier provinces)
Vassals or PU: None
At War With: None
Allies: Austria, England, Castile (Algiers)

Manik

AAR - Poland - 22/09/13

Slow start to the session, in which I focused mainly on building improvements to provinces and increasing my tax income. Up to a nice steady amount each month now, which is pleasing to see.

Sat back and watched events unfold for a little while, then noticed that my faithful allies Novgorod had declared war upon just about every nation in central Europe, for some reason - Bohemia, Trier, the Livonian Order, The Hansa... There must have been a white peace declared at some point, because, though it went on for a couple of years, no provinces seemed to change hands.

Following that, Orthodox rebels popped up in Novgorod - a 10 stack and a 5 stack, that I could see - so I sent troops over to put them down, in the hope of keeping my ally stable. Unfortunately they were, once again, super rebels (Crab, you certainly breed the toughest rebels I've ever seen) but managed to finish them off after firing a 35 stack at them. This, it turned out, was a little too late, as the country almost instantly changed its religion back to Orthodox, thus cancelling our alliance once again.

Novgorod pretty much just flipped out after that, throwing out diplomatic insults at Poland like they were going out of fashion. I'm hoping once Crab comes back, we can re-instate the alliance we had going.

Then got quite a surprise when an envoy came to tell me that, thanks to having a royal marriage with them, I had become the leader in a Personal Union with Sweden. While that certainly goes some way to guaranteeing them independence, it does both scupper my plans for forming the commonwealth with Lithuania any time soon (can't do that with 2 PUs on the go) and puts Wink and I in a precarious position, with him unable to form royal marriages or start wars of his own accord.

So, what to do next... Any plans I originally had for Poland are having to be reworked and I'll have to find something to do with Sweden. Back to the drawing board!

Province Count: Previous
Vassals or PU: Leading PUs with Lithuania and Sweden.
At War With: None
Allies: None

Kabouter

puts Wink and I in a precarious position, with him unable to form royal marriages or start wars of his own accord.
He switched to Denmark, so you've basically limited Wink's expansion in the North by getting that PU.

FACE

Banned
Portugal has already reached Brazil and they will conquer most of the continent before any other nation makes it there. Africa will be a bit more busy now that at least four human players are interested in it.

I was going to pick the colonization idea and try to colonize America, then the AI picked the religious idea for me :\

I'm less than 50 Administrative points from picking my second idea group. It's not an easy choice. Fortunately I'm too far away from any uncolonized parts of the world so I can ignore the Expansion and Exploration idea groups.

Fitz

I'm less than 50 Administrative points from picking my second idea group. It's not an easy choice. Fortunately I'm too far away from any uncolonized parts of the world so I can ignore the Expansion and Exploration idea groups.

I was going to say no problem, just get fleet basing from Portugal and you're all set! But I just saw in the patch notes that the AI won't give out fleet basing any more if they are themselves a colonial nation.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Now take a look at this gem of a change in 1.2:
AI will now remain passive for 12 months after a player drops or tag-switches to prevent undesirable AI management of a player's country in MP

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Copying this from OT, i think it is relevant for our game:

• Will now remain passive for 12 months after a player drops or tag-switches to prevent undesirable AI management of a player's country in MP
  • More priority on attacking countries that hold critical provinces (such as Novgorod for Muscovy)
  • Much more careful about getting trapped in provinces that are only connected via straits when it does not have naval supremacy

What are the new ideas?

I was speaking about national ideas, the other ideas were reworked in some cases but they're the same as before.
New Hedjaz would get a big boost at converting, local trade power and cavalry.

and now incapable ruler triggers almost immediately every single time; haha I'm so fucked!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I hope it's a bug, I like the new ideas.

Maybe its one of those changes that doesnt change for games already running. Which only sounds fair given that some people might rely on them already in a savegame.

Maybe its one of those changes that doesnt change for games already running. Which only sounds fair given that some people might rely on them already in a savegame.

Well they changed everything else, including ideas, in started games. Only national ideas not changing doesn't make much sense.

Plus, something's bugged either way since the new ideas are in the selection screen of the saved game.

Toma

Well they changed everything else, including ideas, in started games. Only national ideas not changing doesn't make much sense.

Plus, something's bugged either way since the new ideas are in the selection screen of the saved game.

Ah, then its probably bugged yeah.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, the update really fucked me over. Rebels can't convert state religion any more, so I'm stuck Orthodox thanks to the AI being a twat last session. The new Muscowy is apparently also super-aggro about taking Novgorod. :( I don't suppose we could squeeze in just the one last 1.1 session so I don't have to be stuck as Orthodox, and I can prepare for a more aggro Muscowy?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone consider it too badly cheating if arch console changed my state religion to Catholic?

Ah, the update really fucked me over. Rebels can't convert state religion any more, so I'm stuck Orthodox thanks to the AI being a twat last session. The new Muscowy is apparently also super-aggro about taking Novgorod. :( I don't suppose we could squeeze in just the one last 1.1 session so I don't have to be stuck as Orthodox, and I can prepare for a more aggro Muscowy?

But rebels now convert every province they take, so you could just let some catholic rebels run amok until catholics are the majority.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would anyone consider it too badly cheating if arch console-changed my state religion to Catholic? Otherwise, my AIs put me in a position which, thanks to the new patch, I can't ever row back.

Edit: no idea why this got posted twice. Mobile gaf ftw.

Kabouter

I have no objection, but I'm not sure what the problem is with Orthodox, isn't it actually better now that patriarch authority gives you missionary strength? When you take the Sunni provinces in Southern Russia, you'll want that missionary strength, trust me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's twofold, really. The first is that I don't want to play Novgorod the same way I'd play Muscowy. They were a great trading republic, and I'd prefer to follow that route. I was always planning to be more Baltic and European focused than Eurasian, and eventually I was going to use Catholicism as a launching point for Protestantism, taking Novgorod in a more Scandinavian direction. The second is more that I dislike how the AI has put me somewhere I can't backtrack from. If I'd lost a war or took the wrong idea group through AI mismanagement, well, that puts me back maybe 50 years or so, but I can always retake that territory or pick the idea group later. Id e annoyed but it's not permanent. As is, I'll now be lumped with a decision I have no feasible way of counteracting, which is somewhat galling. So, it's a combination of wanting to be a trade power (and thus Orthodox being useless) and wanting me to be the decision-maker, not the AI.

I'd be content to continue as Orthodox, and do the usual Crimea -> hordes -> Asia route, but it would just feel both railroaded and a bit vanilla - if I'd wanted that, I'd have picked Muscowy back at the start. The United Mercantilist Republic of Russia is just so much more interesting.

Your call Archie.
I'd be fine with hacking the save if the situation was caused by a bug. This isn't game-breaking and if you can't play during a session then you'll have to accept the choices the AI makes for you.

I'm also not a fan of players switching nation when faced with a tough situation.

Toma

I'd be fine with hacking the save if the situation was caused by a bug. This isn't game-breaking and if you can't play during a session then you'll have to accept the choices the AI makes for you.

I'm also not a fan of players switching nation when faced with a tough situation.

I bow to our leader and will lend him my axe.. errr, military units on tech level 4.

Crab I've just played your save, you can still convert to Catholicism because the majority of your population is catholic.
I managed to convert in 3 years.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sick, have you actually converted to Catholicism in the save or is that just a "you should be able to", if you see what I mean? Also is that 1.1 or 1.2? 'cause if I can actually actually go Catholic in 1.2 without having to resort to shenanigans, that'd make my day. I can't test it myself at the moment.

EDIT: ah, you already answered. I'll have to do some heavy play testing once I'm home, I probably won't get many chances to get this right. Thanks for checking! :)

Sick, have you actually converted to Catholicism in the save or is that just a "you should be able to", if you see what I mean? Also is that 1.1 or 1.2? 'cause if I can actually actually go Catholic in 1.2 without having to resort to shenanigans, that'd make my day. I can't test it myself at the moment.

EDIT: ah, you already answered. I'll have to do some heavy play testing once I'm home, I probably won't get many chances to get this right. Thanks for checking! :)

No problem.

9A6A4C152CF4BF19211EEB757AEF03A26D7FFD32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom