• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
To be fair I am having a girl over tonight, so it would maybe be a bit rude if I once again spent the night playing instead of spending time with her (would be the third time lol). So maybe its better if we not play tonight - at least for the caring Morfeo that finally came to his senses.

FACE

Banned
To be fair I am having a girl over tonight, so it would maybe be a bit rude if I once again spent the night playing instead of spending time with her (would be the third time lol). So maybe its better if we not play tonight - at least for the caring Morfeo that finally came to his senses.

She can wait :p

Manik

Definitely for Thursday instead of Wednesday's, but I am all for the bonus session today as well. Who is missing who didn't agree to it yet?

I may struggle tonight, as it's my fiancée's birthday. And will almost definitely miss Sunday's as we're out until at least halfway through the session.

I mean, tonight isn't out of the question, but I won't know until later on this evening at the earliest.

Manik

Why would I want something that is already happening? Neah, I just explore my options. I might not have a priority in the West for now, but I still keep a close eye on it.

Meanwhile the East can get quite hot, with Poland in a bloodshed spree and menacing my protegee, Wallachia.

Bloodshed spree is a little harsh - Pommerania were in a difficult position as it was, being reduced to a 2 province country by Denmark. Now they're in the loving arms of Poland :) Perhaps you should look to the Danes, if you want justice for the Pomms.

As for Wallachia, yeah, they're gonna get it. No-one invited them to take over Moldovia, so I'm just taking back what's mine by right.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'd feel bad for forcing both Morfeo and Manik to be here given circumstances, so I suppose an extra session is out.

Wink cant come either and he has a war with denmark going on.

Manik

I'd feel bad for forcing both Morfeo and Manik to be here given circumstances, so I suppose an extra session is out.

Wednesdays are usually fine, so I'm not against having an extra session then, just this evening is difficult, especially at short notice.

Manik

AAR - Poland - 17/09/13

Started off the session by, once again, forging an alliance with Novgorod (cancelled previously due to religion changes) and boosting relations with Moldovia. Continued to increase my army up to the forcelimit to help fend off some of the rebel pops (after a 9 stack of Novgorod's rebels decimated my 13 stack the previous session, I was taking no risks).

Shortly afterwards Novgorod (Crab) declared war on the Livonian Order so I sent some troops over to quell the rebels in his country whilst he got on with the task of fighting the war.

Also begun the annexation of Modolvia around this time, which would have seen Poland stretch across the European mainland from north to south had it not been slightly scuppered by the rising of Wallachian rebels (30,000 of them) in the country. Even with a full army they fought off my attempts to liberate the Moldovian provinces, with the end result being that Wallachia has returned to the world stage. I'll see that they don't last long.

Unable to take my frustrations out on Wallachia, for the time being, I turned my gaze northwards and saw that Pommerania, whose only allies were in difficulties of their own, were undefended and would probably feel better integrated into the Polish family, where they would be loved and cared for (and exploited for material gain). A short war later, they agreed.

Not quite satisfied with Pommerania, it was suggested that we may have some claims on the Bohemian province of Ratibor that we could look into pressing. And they're being looked after by the Austrians.

Interesting...

Province Count: Previous + 2 (Pommerania)
Vassals: Moldovia, Lithuania (PU)
Allies: Novgorod
At War With: None

AAR - 1479-1487 - Hedjaz

Beat Oman and took their province, warred with Qara Qoyunlu and got Haasa out of the peace deal. My Arabian borders now stabilized, I'm now waiting for the truce with Ethiopia to run out. I also peacefully vassalized Adal.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session: Allied with the Ottomans, Royal Marriages with the Ottomans and Adal
Province Count: Hedjaz + 19
Vassals or PU: Adal is a vassal
At War with: Naples, Siena and Tuscany

Mleugie

Neo Member
AAR - Morocco

Still in a war with both Fez and Algiers in which I'm barely staying alive thanks to foreign aid from Hedjaz.

Vassals = 0
At war with = Fez, Algiers
Province count: Original -3 and my colony was taken by Algiers.

World map - 1492
FR2nka5.png

Save game file - http://dropcanvas.com/#22G90l00pr2382

Kabouter

AAR - 19/09/2013 - Ming
Description of the actions during the session:
Finished war with Bengal, started diplo-annexing Korea. Dismayed that Japan set me as a rival :(.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: -2
Vassals or PU: Korea, tiny Lan Xang, tiny Champa, Shan

AAR - 1487-1492 - Venice

I completed the Trade idea and got a 6th merchant. I still haven't discovered most of the Arab peninsula so for now I'm stuck with low value trade nodes in remote parts of Russia. I also decided to beef up my trade steering since I was losing a lot of money to some of the weaker Mediterranean nations like Sienna.

I befriended Athens and started annexing Naxos, but it's a slow process.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 7 (no change)
Vassals: Naxos (annexing, at 25%)
Allies: Austria, Bohemia, Athens

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AAR - Novgorod - 19/09/13

The endless, endless war with Livonia continued to drag on, with Pskov refusing to concede. As such, while I was at war, this was a strangely peaceful session. I went around rebuilding my army, increasing my stability, converted more of my provinces to Catholic, increased the size of my navy, and paid off my loans. Finally, Pskov got bored of trying to take Wenden and conceded White Peace, and I managed to vassalize the Livonian Order, something which should have happened a long while ago and had been delayed by misfortune.

I'm now in quite a strong position - booming economy, all the important conversion done, good navy going, high stability, a vassal, etc. My remaining neighbours are now Pskov, Lithuania, Muscowy, Sweden and Norway. Lithuania is a subject of Poland and thus a safe border, and hopefully Sweden remains one too. Pskov hate me, but they're also realistic enough to realise I would destroy them in a fight (the only reason I don't instigate one myself is their alliance chain, which leads to Muscowy). Norway I can take, and I probably will snatch a few Nordic provinces from them later, especially as Norway are only allied with Brittany (lol). My only seriously dangerous neighbour now, as ever, is the lurking Muscowy, but I feel the time for the ultimate showdown of good and evil in Russia draws ever closer.

So what're my goals for next session? First is letting my manpower rebuild. I don't think my manpower has been over 2,000 in about 30 years, so I need some reasonable peace time, now I have an army, to get it somewhere acceptable. Second is securing my borders more to the north, by taking provinces from Norway and supporting wink if he returns to Sweden - Cazz, wink and I could potentially launch a triple alliance against the Danes, if they're interested. A point that would be top priority (if it happens) would be taking Ryazan. At the moment, Ryazan is a vassal of the Golden Horde, but the Golden Horde is embroiled in two massive wars against the Crimean Khanate and Muscowy. If the Golden Horde gets annexed, Ryazan will be released, in which case I need to get there before Muscowy does, especially as Ryazan is part of the "form Russia" decision. However, I can't fabricate a claim as I share no contiguous province, so I'd have to take the -2 stab hit - could need some careful planning.

Finally, once all those bases are covered and I feel secure about Novgorod as a whole, then we shall imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, and disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage; and some are yet ungotten and unborn that shall have cause to curse the Muscowite's scorn. Vladimir must fall.

Province Count: Original +5 (Tver, 4 Livonian provinces)
Vassals: Livonia (fuck yeah)
Allies: Poland, Brandenburg

Morfeo

AAR 19/09/13 Savoy

In the spirit of peace, I didnt really do a lot today. Started the session in two wars, and quickly ended the one against Switzerland, taking Bern and St. Gallen and vassalizing the rest of them. I them finished besieging Ferrara while France took control over Avignon, but decided to keep the war going to not imidiately be dragged into another offensive war by France. Also completed the annexation of Milan, which gave me Milan and Cremona, and for the rest of the session I sat back and watched as my allies at all sides grew stronger, with Burgundy launching a devasting offensive in the lowlands, and Naples finally getting control of the former ottoman possessions in Greece.

Province Count: 18 (Original +12)
Vassals: Switzerland
Allies: France, Provence
At War With: Ferrara, Papal State

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AAR 19/09/13 Savoy

In the spirit of peace, I didnt really do a lot today. Started the session in two wars, and quickly ended the one against Switzerland, taking Bern and St. Gallen and vassalizing the rest of them. I them finished besieging Ferrara while France took control over Avignon, but decided to keep the war going to not imidiately be dragged into another offensive war by France. Also completed the annexation of Milan, which gave me Milan and Cremona, and for the rest of the session I sat back and watched as my allies at all sides grew stronger, with Burgundy launching a devasting offensive in the lowlands, and Naples finally getting control of the former ottoman possessions in Greece.

Province Count: 18 (Original +12)
Vassals: Switzerland
At War With: Ferrara, Papal State

You could make things really interesting if you let France vassal the Papacy, because the Papacy would then replace one of the theocratic states actually inside the H.R.E. That could have some interesting repercussions.

What I'm trying to say is DO EET

AAR - 1487-1492 - Hedjaz

I was happily slaughtering some Ethiopians when Toma sneakily attacked me. I did not expect him so soon, but as Walter White says, I respect the strategy. My sieging troops were no match for his armies, but I managed to regroup on the mainland and the war was more than anything a costly, prolonged stand-off. At the end, an exploratory peace offer was accepted by both sides.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session: Allied with the Ottomans and Swahili, Royal Marriages with the Ottomans, Swahili and Adal
Province Count: Hedjaz + 19
Vassals or PU: Adal is a vassal
At War with: Mamluks, Serbia, Bosnia, Hungary, Wallachia and Cyprus

Fitz

AAR - 19/09/13 - Kingdom of Naples

WAR

After taking all of non-HRE mainland Italy I was limited in where to expand, south and east being the only directions without players. I had considered going into Africa, but it would be a long time before that investment would pay off, and not having an easy CB made going east the clear option. To that end I fabricated claims on the three Ottoman provinces that I could whilst during my previous regency, and built up my navy well over my force limits. The Ottoman navy didn't have a large proportion of galleys so I was confident that I could keep the straits blocked and have free roam over their European lands. Also, if I hadn't taken Naval ideas for the +1 moral as they had, this would have been prohibitively difficult.

Once I'd prepared, it was just a case of waiting for the Ottoman armies to be on the wrong side of the sea and declaring victory war. I thought I'd got lucky when the Ottomans declared war against the Mamluks, however they were in a coalition that included the remaining countries in the Baltic region. Due to this, both of their armies moved West initially, the wrong side of the straits. I planned to wait for their armies to finish besieging the west and move back across the sea, however I was foiled by the idiotic AI. A single Mamluk ship had made it to the straits and was preventing the Ottoman armies from crossing whilst the entire 30+ Ottoman navy blockaded Egypt and the Levant without returning to lift their own blockade. Around this time, FACE called me into his Reconquista, I had no problem joining as Granada wouldn't interfere with my own war.

At this point, I realised I had few options outside of waiting years for a better chance, so I went for it and declared war. My plan was simply to siege the Turkish side of the sea whilst blockading the straits, and then once the Ottoman v Mamluk war was over (giving me control of the straits), to bait the Ottoman armies across and flee to the other side. Whilst occupying Turkey I managed to snag a few victories against the Ottoman fleet, bolstering my naval superiority. During this initial period I had fleet basing rights from Naxos so that I could repair my fleet without leaving the blockading ships vulnerable. As soon as the Otto v Mamluk war was over I lifted the blockade and attached my army to my navy, ready for a tactical withdrawal. I got lucky and it all went off without a hitch, both of their armies moving across the sea together not long after I lifted the blockade. I rushed my ships back into the gap, dropped my troops in to Europe and eased into the relaxing siege of Greece.

It should have been a cakewalk from here to victory, but two big cogs got thrown into the machine. Firstly, I've never known the Ottoman AI to get military access around the Black Sea when the straits are blocked, let alone through 3 nations. Thus the appearance of one the Ottoman doom-stacks was not something I had planned for. I couldn't avoid the initial battle after being caught from the fog-of-war, and whilst I managed to take a very close victory thanks to the terrain, I had lost far more men than the Ottomans, and had neither the money nor the manpower to fight them head-to-head. At this point, whilst making a panicked retreat to southern Greece, where I could block access from the sea, I received another call to arms from FACE. Assuming it was another far away war and not wanting the -25 prestige hit I quickly brought the message up and hit accept whilst trying to think of a way out of my Greek predicament. To my horror, I noticed too late the big red -5 and thus, my long savings of Admin points were flushed down the toilet. Of course, the game wanted to rub salt into my wounds, at this time my King of good stats died, leaving a poorly skilled regency council and an equally terrible 6-year-old heir.
After finishing the siege of lower Greece I decided to get out whilst I was still ahead in the war. In theory I could have bided my time for several years, and maybe taken out the Ottoman army and thus more of Greece. But my country was in a poor shape and after the amount of crashing and errors we had in that session, I just didn't have the energy to war for another couple of sessions.

Now that the war is over I have the long task of regaining national stability. My debts are paid, and my inflation should be gone soon, but I'm still at -1 stab with only a trickle of admin points coming in, making coring impossible. So far the lands I've taken are all providing nothing but revolts to deal with, being wrong culture and wrong religion. I'll probably be better off releasing them as my Byzantine vassal, reclaiming their cores from the Ottomans, and then diplo annexing them afterwards.

Anyway, it was a long two sessions, I've got a fair amount of recovery ahead and the Ottomans are still very scary. But at least I've got some room to breath now. Also I applaud anyone who read all that rambling.

Manik

AAR 19/09/13 Poland

Gosh, not a whole lot to report for the session last night. I spent the military points which I'd been gathering up on a new idea, and teched up my administration again - The Poland-Lithuania commonwealth is finally looking like it may be on the horizon,
I finished annexing Moldovia and immediately gained a 'reconquest' CB on Wallachia, after rebels claimed a province in the previous session. I spent some time umm'ing and ahh'ing over whether or not to attack them, despite their independence being guaranteed by Austria. Instead, my decision was made for me by the death of my monarch, and a Regency Council taking over the country, until my heir comes of age. Thankfully the regency council have some helpful stats, so I'm not too bothered at the minute. Though I guess any pre-emptive wars are off the cards for now.

Also began an alliance with Sweden which, along with my alliance with Novgorod and my PU with Lithuania, presents a fairly fearsome North-Eastern European coalition. If Denmark start trying things on with Sweden again, then things may get very interesting indeed.

The rest of the session was spent shuffling my armies about, replacing deceased generals and scrapping my war fleet in favour of some light, trade-protecting ships.

Province Count: Previous +1
Vassals: None
Allies: Novgorod, Sweden

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I can make Sunday's session, so just giving a heads up now. I don't think the AI has the capacity to do anything immensely stupid, but Manik, if you could guarantee Sweden and Lithuania that'd be great as then it'll probably leave them alone, given AI Novgorod declaring war on either of them is my main worry.

AAR - 1492-1499 - Venice

Morfeo left a crushed Ferrara for me to annex. I'm still a comparably small nation and adding their two provinces pushed my overextension up to 60%. The rest of the session I just did minor improvements. Corfu is now Catholic. I built my first manufactory.

Province Count: Original(8) + 9 (annexed Ferrara's both provinces)
Vassals: Naxos (annexing, at 90%)
Allies: Austria, Bohemia, Athens
Damn, that AI managed to go without losing any of my land! Better load up the save and see what mess it did manage to make.
You had some small rebel groups popping up in Greece for a little while, but the Ottomans were occupied with Hungary and the Mamluks for most of the session.

Edit: Is that yellow province in Mozambique controlled by Toma?

Fitz

You had some small rebel groups popping up in Greece for a little while, but the Ottomans were occupied with Hungary and the Mamluks for most of the session.

Not bad, just loaded up the save and the AI doesn't seem to have done much at least, other than increase my inflation somehow.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR 1492-1499 Austria

Joined Burgundy's war against Trier, fighting a lot with Bohemia and rebels. The whole session was fight after fight, but the country is a little bit more stable now. Created another core, taking out rebels. It was very busy. I dreaming now at the peace that Savoy keeps mentioning. Bohemia tried as a new emperor to impose some decision on me (something about giving back Bavaria or else). I said "else" and moved on.

Province Count: same as previous
Vassals: none
Allies: Burgundy, Venice, Naples.

Kabouter

AAR - 22/09/2013 - Ming
Fought war with Assam, vassalizing OPM Taungu and forcing Assam to return a core they'd taken at one point I guess. Finished diplo-annexing Korea. Currently also finally far enough in religion idea tree that I can start converting some of my provinces to Confucianism. So yay.

Province Count: +11
Vassals or PU: OPM Taungu, tiny Lan Xang, tiny Champa, Shan
Allies: None

Crazy stuff going on in Europe, I wonder when it's all going to explode with full on PvP wars.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Crazy stuff going on in Europe, I wonder when it's all going to explode with full on PvP wars.

Just you wait when our borders start touching. We'll see how much thought you'll put into europe then :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, has the AI mistreated Novgorod or am I okay? Also, is anyone at war with Ryazan?

Morfeo

AAR - 22/09/2013 - Savoy

Savoy started 1492 in poor state after being in war with the ruthless ferrarians forever, and the people longed for italian peace - which the wise duke gave them almost at once. Unfortunately for poor Ferrara, their old ally Venice declared war on them and completely annexed them, causing quite an uproar in the empire and in the peace-loving savoyard countryside. So with Italy finally divided in three seperate zones, it seemed peace could finally arrive. However, our mighty allies the french called a crusade against Algiers, so we quickly jumped into this opportunity to strenghten relations with the guaranteers of our independence. After some initial troubles in the libyan desert that mirrored what italian troops saw in ww2 before the arrival of the desert fox - the catholic crusade was able to overpower the heathens and ended the war with control of the three tunisian provinces, Annabe and Constantine in eastern Algiers.

Province Count: 23 (original +17)
Vassals or PU: Switzerland as vassal

FACE

Banned
AAR - 22/09/2013 - Castile Spain

The AI managed to form Spain between 1487 and 1492, which is good, but they also ruined my relationship with Navarra, whom I was very close to vassalizing, and that was bad so I took it by force after a fairly short war. After a few uneventful years of province improvement I've decided that it was time to continue the Reconquista and started it off by taking Tangiers from Fez, but the coring costs are too high and that'll probably slow down my plans.

Province Count: +2(Navarra and Tangiers)
Vassals or PU: Aragon(PU)
Allies: Naples, France, Burgundy, Portugal, Aragon and I'm not sure if there's anyone else.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Japan really had nothing to look forward to that session except for the gradual accumulation of monarch points (on the plus side, I had plenty of time to read). It was the perfect end, though; I reached admin tech four and got to choose three exploration ideas during that final month of play time. So now I have quest for the new world and access to colonists and explorers. Next time I will start colonizing the Pacific.

Fitz

Looks like Europe had better get its act together if it wants a piece of the colonial pie. Between the Indians and the Japanese it seems like it's going to be gobbled up fast! No slacking AI here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom