• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting this so it doesn't get missed:

Out of interest, why don't all of us re-post the times we can and can't do, and see if we can't maybe negotiate slightly different slots and the like?

I'm okay between 10:00 PM and 1:00 AM BST on week-days. Saturdays I can be a bit more flexible, probably from around 7:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Sunday, less flexible - 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM, as per week-days, but I will be absolutely rushing to make 10:00 PM.

This way, instead of suggesting "how about now", if we definitely know all the time-slots, we can actually pick some definitive times.

It'd be such a shame for someone to drop out now, I've been really enjoying all your company this game. :( I know it's not likely we'll be able to find better slots, but we can try, right?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm only saying it because I'm terrified of the hordes of the Hindus swarming over proud Russian soil! Please don't hurt me... ;(

Why not try time negotiation? I suggested in an edit a few posts up we all repost the times we can do, and see if we can switch things up a bit. :) It'd be such a shame to see you go...

We already tried that, and I know at least 2 people who cant be here earlier reliably, and it would be a bit inconvenient for myself as well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if it's definitely a no go then... nice playing with you, Kab. :)

Fitz

With such a large group of players it was inevitable that there'd be time issues, sorry to lose a player, the AI should have China messed up in no time.

I also agree with Toma's earlier sentiments that nation swapping shouldn't be allowed in general any more in the current game. Early on if things go to hell then fair enough, overall strategies are still flexible. But at this point dropping someone into certain nations could ruin a whole games worth of planning.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So, Kabouter, you potentially interested in a new game at a different time? If so, what time could potentially work? Since we can no longer change nations, Im sure there soon enough will be quite a few players ready to start over.

Kabouter

So, Kabouter, you potentially interested in a new game at a different time? If so, what time could potentially work? Since we can no longer change nations, Im sure there soon enough will be quite a few players ready to start over.

For me anywhere between 18:00-22:30 CET/whatever the current Western European time zone is would be perfect (I would say 23:00, but I'd rather not play after 11 and stuff always seems to go long), preferably in sessions of longer than an hour.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For me anywhere between 18:00-22:30 CET/whatever the current Western European time zone is would be perfect (I would say 23:00, but I'd rather not play after 11 and stuff always seems to go long), preferably in sessions of longer than an hour.

I could go with this time frame too. I don't want to drop current game, so I'm fine to play until 22:30 .

Manik

Sadly, I doubt I'd have time for two EU games on the go at once, so I'm just sticking with the one we have now.

Would be happy to join another, at a different time, once this one is over.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Same as most others, I can't commit to two games at once.

Kabouter

I figured as much, was the same when the idea of a second game was floated a few weeks back. It's fine, I'll wait for this game to finish in a few months, and just hope some people are still playing at that point :).

Morfeo

Lets just see how the next few sessions go. I cant participate in two games either, but if people start to drop from our current game, I would probably be interested in a new game for them, and the timeframe 21-23 is also great for me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On a different note, can I have a 3-minute prep pause at the start of tonight's session?

World map - 1526
tSy8OAK.png

Save game file - http://dropcanvas.com/0mae3

AAR - 1520-1526 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
Bosnia stupidly left the coalition against me so I decided to take their last province. The rest of the session I just tried to improve my economy and increase my technology levels. It's taking longer than expected and I really want to unlock the third national idea slot as soon as possible.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 23 (+1 this session)
Allies: Naples
At War With: None

Manik

AAR - Poland - 03/10/13

After all of the drama and panic of the last few sessions this was a really quiet one for me. Things seem to have settled down nicely and I just finished coring the 2 final provinces I had outstanding, and converting other provinces other to protestant. Revolt levels have dropped across the board and, while a few rebels popped up during the session, they were dealt with fairly easily by my troops.

I've managed to fill up my advisor slots once again and have a nice, steady income. I've upgraded my advisors to a +3 (Adm) +1 (Dip) and +2 (Mil) which should help cover some of my ruler's shortfalls, as well as help me forge my way forward to admin tech level 10, which will, in the not too distant future, allow me to form the Commonwealth. There are a few things to sort out before that can happen, however they're in hand at the moment, so it's just a case of waiting it all out.

Levelled up my Military technology once which at least brings me within touching distance of my neighbours, but still needs a lot of work (and luck) to pull it back.

All in all it was a productive, if unexciting, session.

Province Count: Same as previous
Allies: Novgorod
PU: Lithuania, Sweden

Fitz

Looking at mainland Sardinia-Piedmont, it looks like a dragon head taking a bite out of France. :D

AAR - 03/10/13 - Kingdom Naples

As part of my quest to nibble at the Ottomans, I took their last two European provinces whilst they were embroiled in a losing battle with the Mamluks. I also finished annexing Byzantium around this time, finally giving me some much needed land. Luckily Greek culture provinces exceeded 20% of my total income so I only have to contend with religious intolerance, without cultural piled on. The rest was the usual busy work, hoping to get a Master of the Mint to take off my last chunk of inflation.

Province Count: Previous + Greece, Rhodes, and the remains of the Ottoman Balkans.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Good news! My internet ought to be a little better now than it was before. Probably not as good as it'll be after the 8th, but the next two sessions should be a lot more tolerable. Thanks for your patience.

AAR - 1526-1532 - Venice

My plan to take Hungary's last province backfired badly. For some reason I ended up alone in a war against Hungary, Wallachia, Bohemia, and Moscovy. In the beginning I was doing fine, but then I had to face 50 troops from Moscovy and 20 from Bohemia at once. At that point I had a warscore of 14%, but that wasn't even enough for a white peace. In the end I had to pay 522 ducats to Muscovy and I lost ¾ of my army.

I also converted to Reformism.

Province Count: Original(8) + 23
Allies: Naples

Fitz

It's really going to take a lot to down the Russian bear it seems, and they'll only be growing in power with all that Asian land open to their colonists.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR - 1526-1532 Austria

I was living a peaceful existence as a responsible leader trying to stabilize the country after so many wars, revolts and religion convulsions. My people are still struggling to find their faith. And while all this was happening my irresponsible allies decided to go to war and suddenly I was in three wars (the bastards of Bavaria declared war on one of my vassals meanwhile), having my former ally France and my old enemy Bavaria to fight against. The war exhaustion was very helpful in generating even more rebels and Bohemia gained quite an advantage at the beginning. Luckily France was busy with Burgundy and soon peace was reinstated. Bohemia war is still going, but the advantage is now on our side and all might end well in the end.
I am still fighting with the overextension so I decided to free Augsburg as my vassal.

Province Count: previous-3
Vassals:Ansbach; Augsburg
Allies: Burgundy, France

Fitz

Don't forget that after 1500 it's possible for Austria to get a mission that gives a restore personal union CB against Bohemia. Though I don't believe it's possible to get whilst Bohemia is the Emperor.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll be following Kab from here. It's not fair for me to hang around if the result is that you guys get half an hour out of an hour's session. The problem wasn't even my connection that time, given it stayed solid the whole hour, I think my computer and EU4 just don't get on particularly well. Beyond that, I don't really want to have to pick up the pieces this time after the Novgorod AI, I lost too much progress and don't really want to have to settle for being way behind on my game-plan, it just isn't much fun. Best of luck to you all, and thanks, while it was good it was great. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think I'll be following Kab from here. It's not fair for me to hang around if the result is that you guys get half an hour out of an hour's session. The problem wasn't even my connection that time, given it stayed solid the whole hour, I think my computer and EU4 just don't get on particularly well. Beyond that, I don't really want to have to pick up the pieces this time after the Novgorod AI, I lost too much progress and don't really want to have to settle for being way behind on my game-plan, it just isn't much fun. Best of luck to you all, and thanks, while it was good it was great. :)

Another one bites the dust :(
What does that mean for Polands Muscovy plans?

Manik

Crab, noooo! But we were *days* away from taking down Muscowy. Or at least going out in a huge explosion.

As for my future plans, that pretty much rules out any kind of move eastwards - there's no way I can take Muscowy on alone, so I'm pretty much restricted to eating up what's left of Crimea, or turning my attentions towards central Europe who, to be honest, will walk over me at the minute. Especially considering half of them have formed an alliance with Muscowy (Yes, I'm looking at you Wallachia and Bohemia - my only 2 realistic non-player controlled enemies).

Going to be tough / slow going from here on in.

Morfeo

I am ready to start over! I formed the Kingdom of Sardinia, broke free from imperial rule, and is now completely surrounded by human players. Feel I have done what I could with the game really, so would be fun to start afresh.

Toma

I am ready to start over! I formed the Kingdom of Sardinia, broke free from imperial rule, and is now completely surrounded by human players. Feel I have done what I could with the game really, so would be fun to start afresh.

Cant we just... stick with the game? Its a bit annoying that we started and now more and more people drop out. You still have africa, France and whatnot to conquer. I'd really like to see this through to the end and see how far we can get or which big nations will emerge in the end. Its awesome to play with more than one player, but at this rate more and more people dropping out will make this whole game way less enjoyable. Its just 3 hours per week anyway. I can understand people dropping out because of time concerns, but working countries should see it through to the end.

Morfeo

Is this game enjoyable for a relative noob casual player?

I would say so. The game hasnt reallly been brutal at all, with almost no PvP-fighting, and tons of n00bs. I am pretty huge EU4-n00b myself having only done like 50 years in single player, and the rest of my playing with this mp-game, and I've had fun.

Morfeo

Cant we just... stick with the game? Its a bit annoying that we started and people drop out now constantly. You still have africa, France and whatnot to conquer. I'd really like to see this through to the end and see how far we can get or which big nations will emerge in the end. Its awesome to play with more than one player, but at this rate more and more people dropping out will make this whole game way less enjoyable. Its just 3 hours per week anyway. I can understand people dropping out because of time concerns, but working countries should see it through to the end.

I am not dropping out of the MP-group anyways. As long as this game is going, I will continue to play here, but I would prefer it if our group started over. Anyways, I am staying in the group, as I find it a lot of fun just to chat, watch the various peoples playstyles and whatnot, even though my poor Sardinia-Piemonte is really stagnating lately :(

Manik

Cant we just... stick with the game? Its a bit annoying that we started and now more and more people drop out. You still have africa, France and whatnot to conquer. I'd really like to see this through to the end and see how far we can get or which big nations will emerge in the end. Its awesome to play with more than one player, but at this rate more and more people dropping out will make this whole game way less enjoyable. Its just 3 hours per week anyway. I can understand people dropping out because of time concerns, but working countries should see it through to the end.

Completely agree with you, Toma. If more and more people keep dropping out, then it's going to make it a waste of time keeping on going for everyone else and it seems unfair on the people who haven't yet done everything they would like to with their countries.

If people are running into borders with human players, which was always inevitable, then perhaps we need to start having a few player vs player wars.

What do people generally do in single player? Play until they've got to a slow point with their country and just restart?

AAR - 1532-15XX - Venice

With a 88% penalty to religious unity Venice has become unstable. Nationalists and Christian zealots are popping up everywhere. My decimated army is still large enough to deal with them and right now I'm just letting them use my civilian population for target practice. Restoring order is going to take another two sessions.

Province Count: Original(8) + 23
Allies: Naples, Bohemia

Kabouter

Ha, I see the Ming AI is still hanging on. Doesn't seem to be doing much aside from finishing annexing vassals though. With an army and fleet that dominate the rest of Asia, you would think the AI would go conquer some stuff. Certainly Manchu would be such an easy target, and if not them, surely the Oirat Horde or Ayutthaya could use an asswhooping.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Completely agree with you, Toma. If more and more people keep dropping out, then it's going to make it a waste of time keeping on going for everyone else and it seems unfair on the people who haven't yet done everything they would like to with their countries.

If people are running into borders with human players, which was always inevitable, then perhaps we need to start having a few player vs player wars.

What do people generally do in single player? Play until they've got to a slow point with their country and just restart?

I'll give it one last go this Thursday. If I manage to have a crash-free, good connection session I'll stick with it.

Manik

I'll give it one last go this Thursday. If I manage to have a crash-free, good connection session I'll stick with it.

Just don't abandon me to the Muscovians - they'd eat me up if I was up against them by myself ;)

Not to mention the fact I'm going to have to fend off Bohemia and Wallachia from the other side, due to their alliances.

Hopefully last night was just a one-off - it certainly seemed worse than normal, but apparently no options or anything were changed? Odd.

I get the feeling that the save file is a bit messed up. Several countries have very long lists of expiring CBs. I haven't seen that in single player games.

Toma

I get the feeling that the save file is a bit messed up. Several countries have very long lists of expiring CBs. I haven't seen that in single player games.

We had that since the beginning. It sorted itself out for some countries and 4-5 sessions ago I got like 100 messages of "CB expired!".

Morfeo

This is exactly how I usually play singleplayer actually. In EU4 I only had one single-player game, conquered all the provinces needed to form the Kingdom of Italy in about 50 years as Savoy, and then quitted feeling I had done what I wanted to do. I am now in more or less that same position in our game with Sardinia, but like I wrote earlier, its no option for me to outright quit. However, like I also wrote, I would prefer it if we would start the game over with new countries. As long as I am alone in that however, I will continue on with my poor Sardinia.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We had that since the beginning. It sorted itself out for some countries and 4-5 sessions ago I got like 100 messages of "CB expired!".

I think I still have about 18 "Conquest" CBs against Sweden.

Morfeo

I think I have the conquest bug as well, been having it since the second session or so I think.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I think I had those in the first 3 sessions as Austria. I was more clicking through the messages with "CB expired" than actually playing. Then they stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom