• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
And we keep close to our hearts the brave Savoyan people, despite their bloodthirsty ruler.

Lol, how did I manage to get in this situation with all my talk of peace? And I even fought alongside you guys against France! Guess its time to renew those alpine fortresses once again...

Kabouter

The new changes to border friction created a -200 relations penalty between Austria and I. That's a bit too harsh considering our history.

Relations penalties from border friction in Europe are going to be big from now on since European provinces have high base tax and on top of that, you share a relatively long border with Austria. You should be glad it's maxed at -200 :+. Border Friction definitely needs to be toned down, a lot. Doesn't make sense that it overpowers every other relationship modifier to this degree. It should max out at like -50 imo.

fanboi

Banned
Well, they just released (today) a fix that border friction is -1 per base tax, which isn't so much anymore.

I had -200 against France, now -40.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, they just released (today) a fix that border friction is -1 per base tax, which isn't so much anymore.

I had -200 against France, now -40.

Good, that sounds decent. Now adjust the overextension based on the distance to the overextended provinces, please.

The Austria/Venice border is indeed very long, but that fix should bring it down to -80 or something which is much more manageable.

Edit: I checked the save and it's down to -41. There is also a -101 aggressive expansion penalty, but that's easy to get rid of.

Morfeo

The Austria/Venice border is indeed very long, but that fix should bring it down to -80 or something which is much more manageable.

Edit: I checked the save and it's down to -41. There is also a -101 aggressive expansion penalty, but that's easy to get rid of.

How do you get rid of that?

It will change with +3.7 per year automatically. During our next session that's like +30 and with the Religious national idea group you could get +60 instead.

Morfeo

Right, thanks!

So any tips on good idea-groups for a peaceful small north-italian state? Maybe something that needs administrative points?

Also, a few questions about trade:
1. Is it worth it to spend a merchant in your home trade nod?
2. Considering my situation where I have maybe two or three provinces in another trade nod as well, should I collect there, or transfer to my home nod?
3. Is it better to "protect trade" in your home nod or a nod where you want to tranfer?
4. How many ships are optimal for protecting trade? Say you have two ships, is it better to have them in one fleet protecting one merchant, or in two fleets protecting two merchants?

Fitz

So any tips on good idea-groups for a peaceful small north-italian state? Maybe something that needs administrative points?

Diplomatic Ideas (the specific branch) would probably be your best bet, it will make it easier for you to maintain the Emperor title you're on your way to getting. If you want to go for Admin though, I'd suggest Religious, probably the best range of benefits from that category for you.

1. Is it worth it to spend a merchant in your home trade nod?
2. Considering my situation where I have maybe two or three provinces in another trade nod as well, should I collect there, or transfer to my home nod?
3. Is it better to "protect trade" in your home nod or a nod where you want to tranfer?
4. How many ships are optimal for protecting trade? Say you have two ships, is it better to have them in one fleet protecting one merchant, or in two fleets protecting two merchants?

There's no hard and fast answer for this really, it varies a lot. Collecting in your home node isn't usually worth it once you've got power in some other nodes, even with the 50% penalty if you're collecting. Your best bet is to simply move your merchants around a bit to experiment and see how it affects your trade income. I'd guess at the moment, your best choice is to forward from Tunis/Alexandria/Ragusa, perhaps swapping one of those to collect in Genoa, depending on how much trade power you can get in each node.
As for light ships, again it varies a lot, what I can say for sure is that there is diminishing returns on the trade power given in a node from the number of light ships. I suppose you'll want the bulk in Genoa, and the rest spread over your forwarding nodes. Unless there isn't much being drawn away from Genoa, in which case you could move some ships elsewhere.

Morfeo

Diplomatic Ideas (the specific branch) would probably be your best bet, it will make it easier for you to maintain the Emperor title you're on your way to getting. If you want to go for Admin though, I'd suggest Religious, probably the best range of benefits from that category for you.

There's no hard and fast answer for this really, it varies a lot. Collecting in your home node isn't usually worth it once you've got power in some other nodes, even with the 50% penalty if you're collecting. Your best bet is to simply move your merchants around a bit to experiment and see how it affects your trade income. I'd guess at the moment, your best choice is to forward from Tunis/Alexandria/Ragusa, perhaps swapping one of those to collect in Genoa, depending on how much trade power you can get in each node.
As for light ships, again it varies a lot, what I can say for sure is that there is diminishing returns on the trade power given in a node from the number of light ships. I suppose you'll want the bulk in Genoa, and the rest spread over your forwarding nodes. Unless there isn't much being drawn away from Genoa, in which case you could move some ships elsewhere.

Thanks for the tips! About becoming emperor, the current emperor is pretty young, and a ton of electors are about to turn protestant, so its not really that realistically that I can get the title, but we will see. What about Economic idea group? 20% cheaper buildings in particular looks really great imo.

Fitz

Economic is pretty average imo, unless you've got a large tax/production based empire, or are having inflation problems. The build cost reduction is decent, and will add up a lot over the course of a game, but it's generally not worth it to spam buildings to the point where it's worth it. If you're in a situation where you can do that, then money isn't any issue anyway.

Morfeo

Ok thanks! Im probably going Religious then since Ive started some expansion in Africa, and that can be progressed by administrative points.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Manik, I've just discovered why my Orthodox rebels are such badass motherfuckers. Apparently, when you use Support Rebels, any rebels that spawn use your tech group, national ideas, morale bases, and discipline. After looking at some of the old saves, I've realised that Muscowy was Supporting my Rebels. I thought that just made rebels more common, but no, given Muscowy's NIs and how well they were doing MIL tech wise, that was what was causing them to be so ridiculous.

DutchNeon

Neo Member
Sorry if I post this here as it's not linked to the MP community per se - Anyone has a good tutorial watchlist on youtube regarding EU IV? I'm somewhat known with Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron but for some reason I can't get the hang of EU IV - the ingame tutorials are kind of garbage too.

Kabouter

eu4_map_mng_1513_04_0dxrj5.png
Savegame

We stopped right at the time you quit by the way Rug, so you didn't miss any progress.

Kabouter

AAR - 29/09/2013 - Ming
Description of the actions during the session:
I finally finished diplo-annexing Shan, started diplo-annexing Champa and at the very end of the sesion, decided I was finally going to do something about the continuing threat of the Oirat Horde on my Western border. Perhaps not the wisest thing given the superior horde units and what not, but I went for it, let's hope for the best.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: I think Shan was seven or eight provinces, I didn't take anything else.
Vassals or PU: Tiny Lan Xang, tiny Champa, OPM Taungu
At War With: Oirat Horde, Pegu, Mongol Khanate

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So Kabouter, looks like you'll be joining me and Manik in the FunWithMuscowy® Club soon. Hoorah!

Fitz

AAR - 30/09/13 - Kingdom Naples

Say goodnight to the Bad Guys

After forming an alliance with Archy at the end of the last game against a common foe, the Ottomans, we began today waiting for an opportunity to strike. Due to the changes since 1.2, I formed an impromptu alliance with Wallachia in hopes that they'd then refuse access to the Turks during the coming war.

A few months in I noticed that whilst the Ottomans had their full armies on standby, their recent war had left them with a massively depleted manpower pool, this was the time to strike. I informed Archnemesis so that we could prepare for war, a few months later I declared war under the pretext of taking "Albania".

The battle plan was fairly straight forward, my navy kept the straits blocked, my army was to siege Greece, and Arch was to take control of the Balkans. Unfortunately the traitorous Wallachian fiends refused to join the war, and to add insult to injury, gave military access to the Ottomans. Whilst not ideal, we were ready for this. Despite grave losses, the men of the Italian coalition held the line time and again, repelling several Ottoman armies until the pool of Turks had run dry.

In the middle of all this, the pathetic state of Athens made the foolish decision to strike during the supposed weakness of their neighbours. A small contingent of weakened regiments was sent to pacify the upstart Greeks, who were swiftly annexed, soon to be returned to their rightful overlords.

After all that, the rest was simply mopping up the Ottoman remains. The Venetians have returned home with their hard earned spoils, but the people of Naples still have some months of occupation left before they too can return to their peaceful green homeland.

Kabouter

So Kabouter, looks like you'll be joining me and Manik in the FunWithMuscowy® Club soon. Hoorah!

I'm not looking forward to any such fun! Stupid inward perfection and Chinese tech group. More worryingly still, it looks like I'm about to be caught between two technologically superior powers :/. Game is not going well for me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not looking forward to any such fun! Stupid inward perfection and Chinese tech group. More worryingly still, it looks like I'm about to be caught between two technologically superior powers :/. Game is not going well for me.

If it's any consolation, I'm 4 tech levels behind Muscowy now, after having to spend so much on stability and war exhaustion. semi-considering deliberately tanking to 8 behind so I can Westernize via Sweden.

Kabouter

If it's any consolation, I'm 4 tech levels behind Muscowy now, after having to spend so much on stability and war exhaustion. semi-considering deliberately tanking to 8 behind so I can Westernize.

By the time I have a neighbour I can westernize from, I think I'm pretty much done for. Sadly, that's not looking to be all that far off at this point :/. Shame you guys aren't able to take out Muscovy, not looking forward to a two front affair.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
By the time I have a neighbour I can westernize from, I think I'm pretty much done for. Sadly, that's not looking to be all that far off at this point :/. Shame you guys aren't able to take out Muscovy, not looking forward to a two front affair.

The trouble is Muscowy's Lucky Nation status guarantees it incredible generals and it's also 3 MIL techs ahead of me and 1 ahead of Cazz thanks to row of excellent monarchs. A giant 36-stack composed of Lithuanian, Swedish, Livonian, Ryazan, and Novgorodian troops was beaten by a lower morale Muscowite 24-stack - the 36-stack whittled them down to 8, but was then completely shattered.

I think my long-term plan is to try and forge an alliance with the Timurids, who are probably the only power near Muscowy capable of seriously denting them. Currently, they only have 54 positive reasons for alliance vs. -87 against, though, so I'm not sure what I can do to butter them any more.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Two fronts? Doesnt look like your neighbours are all that dangerous to you atm, if Japan isnt gearing up for a war, but I cant imagine MGO doing that.

AAR - 1507-1513 - Venice

This session went by much faster than usual since I had to babysit my armies in Greece in order to avoid getting into losing battles against the Ottomans. Since I wasn't the warleader I could only get Sofia out of my separate peace deal. My armies remain at full strength although my manpower took a huge hit from the war.

Next session I'm going to reforge the alliances lost during the last years of conflict.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 16 (+1 this session)
Allies: None
At War With: None

fanboi

Banned
AAR - 1507-1513 - Burgundy

Nothing really happened.

Stabilize the country, get a bigger standing army.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Same as before
Allies: Savoy, Austria, Spain

Morfeo

AAR - 29/09/2013 - Savoy

When I started, I was in the middle of the defensive anti-piracy war in maghreb togheter with France, so I finished that pretty easily by taking the rest of Algiers and Tripoli (6 provinces in total). I then released them both as catholic vassals, and started the annexation process of Tunisia.

I then decided it was time for some lebensraum in the west where I still hadnt explored my defensive opportunities for the continuation of peace, so I quickly declared and conquered Provence without any casualities. However, in the single most brilliant moment of my game so far, I managed to make peace with them without securing the safety I was looking for - and got a white peace instead of the complete annexation. What a n00b :(

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: 18 (6+12), down 2 from last time
Allies: France, Burgundy
Vassals or PU: Switzerland, Tunisia, Tripoli, Algiers

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Muscovy is vulnerable at the beginning of the game and can be broken by a human Novgorod player with enough force. But multiplayer is not conducive at all to playing a very strategic game, and once Muscovy starts expanding into Asia, it will probably take a coalition to bring them down. Perhaps there should have been another player in eastern Europe/western Asia for a more balanced game, at least to prevent one nation from unfettered expansion across central Asia.

Kabouter

Novgorod, Poland (with Lithuania and Sweden) are already allied and they should stand a decent chance against Moscowy.

Should hope Hedjaz expands North or Venice/Naples East I guess. I don't think I will be much help. That alliance more or less seems to stalemate against Muscovy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Novgorod, Poland (with Lithuania and Sweden) are already allied and they should stand a decent chance against Moscowy.

Currently it is a stalemate. We can batter them enough for a white peace, but can't really make progress. If you want to hit Muscowy, you need to hit them hard and early. I almost did it in the early game when I went up to +34% war-score (you need to get them to release their vassals and take Vladimir, which is at around +78%), but I crashed out and the AI arranged a peace deal. Since then, I've been too busy with domestic matters and Muscowy has been really expanding quite rapidly eastwards. If I had the time to tech up and so on, I think the current Poland/Lithuania/Sweden/Novgorod alliance could take the Muscowy alliance, especially now that Muscowy has lost Pskov as an ally, but that depends on Muscowy being occupied on the Eastern front long enough for me to do so. As it is, Muscowy is 3 MIL techs ahead of me (I've been electing lots of ADM leaders as I've been having stab problems), and 2(?) ahead of Poland - Lucky Nation teching. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You could always wait for them to reach China. Then you can do a joint strike together with Ming.

That's Plan B. Plan A is to manage to get an alliance with the Timurids, and do much the same thing.

Do you have any idea when the Timurid empire will implode? Don't they usually break up into Persia plus a few other smaller nations?

Morfeo

Is Muscovy really that strong? I feel the AI in general is terrible at managing even huge countries like the Ottomans, France and Castille in this game, so I never though Muscovy would be so hard to take down. Wish you guys luck!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have any idea when the Timurid empire will implode? Don't they usually break up into Persia plus a few other smaller nations?

If the Timurids haven't collapsed by 1530 or so, they tend not to collapse at all; I think the Persian DHEs stop around that time. Tentatively speaking, I think the Timurids in our game are here to stay, unless they spiral downhill really quickly from now.

Kabouter

Is Muscovy really that strong? I feel the AI in general is terrible at managing even huge countries like the Ottomans, France and Castille in this game, so I never though Muscovy would be so hard to take down. Wish you guys luck!

Yes. Muscovy is probably the toughest nation to deal with if you don't take it out relatively early. Their ideas are really powerful, especially the manpower ones since manpower is so scarce now.

If the Timurids haven't collapsed by 1530 or so, they tend not to collapse at all; I think the Persian DHEs stop around that time. Tentatively speaking, I think the Timurids in our game are here to stay, unless they spiral downhill really quickly from now.

I doubt they're going to be around for very long. They are not that strong militarily, they'll probably be carved up by nearby human nations eventually.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Muscovy is probably the toughest nation to deal with if you don't take it out relatively early. Their ideas are really powerful, especially the manpower ones since manpower is so scarce now.

Yeah, Muscowy's national ideas are probably the third best in the game, after Brandenburg's and Sweden's.

I doubt they're going to be around for very long. They are not that strong militarily, they'll probably be carved up by nearby human nations eventually.

In the long, long term, sure, although it doesn't look to me like any human players will reach them for a while yet - maybe Manik if he can stabilize Poland and head for the Crimean, maybe toma if he expands quite quickly northwards. What I meant is, I'm reasonably confident they're not going to collapse into Persia and will having around until at least the very late 1500s in some form.

Morfeo

Westernized Hindustan will be a powerhouse and should be able to take on the Timurids pretty easy I guess, right?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Westernized Hindustan will be a powerhouse and should be able to take on the Timurids pretty easy I guess, right?

Definitely. In which case, Novgorod will be sending lots of envoys to Hindustan asking them to play nice and leave the poor Timurids alone until Muscowy has been munched on. :p

EDIT: Having said that, if I was fACE, I would definitely be sending Spanish troops to liberate Africa from the Hindustan threat and prevent the villainous people of the Hindus from bordering peaceful European nations.

Just sayin'. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom