• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have monthly autosaves turned on which means we can't go that far back in time.

Yeah, but at least an autosave before the last OOS maybe. Dunno, we might need to experiment a little with that.

If all of these are bugged... I guess we might have to roll back the whole session.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I have a save from March 1572.

I posted my march 72 save a page earlier. Can you please check whether the religion in your province is still correct in that save?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can confirm that the 1572 is as normal for me.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I posted my march 72 save a page earlier. Can you please check whether the religion in your province is still correct in that save?
All my provinces are Shinto. Perhaps the conversion event only occurred after March 1572.

Mgoblue201

I just noticed that I don't have my 5/4/4 heir in the 1572 save. Without him I'm at risk of falling into a personal union with Ming. Is there really no later save that we can use?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I will check this when I get home. My war in germany was completely messed up by the out of synch-stuff, but at least this save should be before that war. Lets just hope I can progress as well as I did when we played. I have lost like 30k troops, and occupied four less provinces than on my save, making more or less all my efforts rendered useless :(

Anyways, we also need to figure out what do to with Fanboi, as this is pretty important also for the other european players, especially me. I would like to have him continue playing as that secures a more or less friendly Burgund, but then again, his situation is completely hopeless now. After fighting with him against France in 7-8 wars, I understand his desperation very well, and even though I have been able to progress a bit despite all those loosing wars, he seems to get back to start with less provinces and no manpower more or less every time. So I can understand him not really being interesting in continuing the game. If he cant change nation, it will probably mean another lost player, raising the question again if its soon time for a restart of the game. Everybody probably knows my view on this :)

fanboi

Banned
I understand if you guys won't allow changing nation now, so no worries there.

But I also see two thing why I am for a new game:

• This is a minor, but we have learnt how we should play and what issues we might have, so from a techical point of view we have learnt something
  • This is bigger I think, but this has become a gentlemens game... we are so nice to eachother that it has become boring in that sense as well

That's my two cent anyhow.

Toma

I just noticed that I don't have my 5/4/4 heir in the 1572 save. Without him I'm at risk of falling into a personal union with Ming. Is there really no later save that we can use?

Not really, the later saves are all after saving with the OOS we got.

Toma

I understand if you guys won't allow changing nation now, so no worries there.

But I also see two thing why I am for a new game:

• This is a minor, but we have learnt how we should play and what issues we might have, so from a techical point of view we have learnt something
  • This is bigger I think, but this has become a gentlemens game... we are so nice to eachother that it has become boring in that sense as well

That's my two cent anyhow.

Well, people decided what would be best for them and pvp wasnt in most peoples interest. but I wouldnt consider that "boring", especially since by now we might have some more pvp action if players werent constantly dropping out. And you were one of the most active pvp nations :p

Also, I am definitely for no new game until this one is completed. I'd hate to be left out of the new game because this one is still running and I dont have the time for two. Then 2 months later this game is completed, but you are already so far into the next game that it wont make much sense to join anymore. I mean that sounds a bit egoistical since its purely from my perspective, but people should just run with what they have. If Ming had crushed me early on, he still wouldnt have gotten all my provinces, so I could just continue, with maybe smaller goals. Just surviving to the end would have been nice in that case, but considering you still have plenty high value provinces, giving up seems highly premature.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think people are not engaging in PvP wars not because of any gentlemanly ethic but because humans are so much damn smarter than the A.I. that it isn't really a good idea to piss them off when you have easier routes of expansion. When the supply of tiny H.R.E. nations has run out, I'd expect some fairly nasty PvP wars. Also, it doesn't help we slowly have less and less players to have PvP wars between anyway.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think people are not engaging in PvP wars not because of any gentlemanly ethic but because humans are so much damn smarter than the A.I. that it isn't really a good idea to piss them off when you have easier routes of expansion. When the supply of tiny H.R.E. nations has run out, I'd expect some fairly nasty PvP wars.

Yeah, I second that. If you add also some big A.I. allies into the whole picture and the possibility to have some wars with over 100 regiments fights it's not that easy to go for that option when you still have better ones.

(fanboi, remember the war against France when Naples stepped in)

I expect some huge PvP wars towards the end of the game. Specially if France or Spain go into a PU. It could be the Bonaparte era wars all over again. It will get hotter, for sure. Wait for Morfeo to PU France and finish with the HRE countries. I bet on him being the Napoleon of our world.

Morfeo

Well, people decided what would be best for them and pvp wasnt in most peoples interest. but I wouldnt consider that "boring", especially since by now we might have some more pvp action if players werent constantly dropping out. And you were one of the most active pvp nations :p

Also, I am definitely for no new game until this one is completed. I'd hate to be left out of the new game because this one is still running and I dont have the time for two. Then 2 months later this game is completed, but you are already so far into the next game that it wont make much sense to join anymore. I mean that sounds a bit egoistical since its purely from my perspective, but people should just run with what they have. If Ming had crushed me early on, he still wouldnt have gotten all my provinces, so I could just continue, with maybe smaller goals. Just surviving to the end would have been nice in that case, but considering you still have plenty high value provinces, giving up seems highly premature.

I kinda agree with this, and I am not proposing a new game to run in addition to this game. Its either we get everybody (or almost everybody) to start a new game, or continue with the one we have. I will go for the option that is favored by the majority, but my personal preference is restarting - even though KingSnake for some reason believes that I can challenge Napoleons conquest (dont know why he would think that of the peaceful savoyan).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
even though KingSnake for some reason believes that I can challenge Napoleons conquest (dont know why he would think that of the peaceful savoyan).

Look at the map. If you get into a PU with France the only logical continuation is that you will end up into a war against whole Europe in less than 100 years. Right after you get rid of fanboi. :))

Toma

I kinda agree with this, and I am not proposing a new game to run in addition to this game. Its either we get everybody (or almost everybody) to start a new game, or continue with the one we have. I will go for the option that is favored by the majority, but my personal preference is restarting - even though KingSnake for some reason believes that I can challenge Napoleons conquest (dont know why he would think that of the peaceful savoyan).

You are among the strongest nations in the game with a very, very good position in regard to France. I dont understand why you constantly complain, lol.

Kabouter

You guys should continue with the game, it's fun to watch :)

Fight more PvP wars though :mad:

Toma

You guys should continue with the game, it's fun to watch :)

Fight more PvP wars though :mad:

I still consider you Ming and will take enjoyment out of walking into Ming lands. HA. Thats some PVP.

*shakes fist at your previous threatening behaviour*

Morfeo

I guess Napoleon also did some short-lived conquests in north-africa, is that where all this is coming from? ;)

You are among the strongest nations in the game with a very, very good position in regard to France. I dont understand why you constantly complain, lol.

To be fair, I havent really complained about my personal progress since before I started my small expedition to the northern barbarians. This is my first real game of EU4 (outside of 50 years played SP with Savoy to get a feeling for it when we were starting), and I am of course very happy with my game, and all complaining about that should be read jokingly. I still feel like a complete n00b though, having done tons of stupid stuff and probably had more luck than anything. I still dont understand a thing about the trade system, the systems regarding mercs, how to manage economy/development of my nation, how to split my forces (and why I tend to loose battles that I should be winning) and so on. I also just a few days ago (thanks to a fellow player) learned about the oversea penalties that make my colonial empire even less useful - and about this whole PU-thing you guys all seems so excited about. So in light of this, I am of course very happy with my game, but it also make me feel I should have done much more with it - which always motivates me to start over. I would also not pick a nation like Savoy between a ton of human players if that were to be the case.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I prefer to continue this game as it is until we finish it. Because I know it will get way more interesting. I think one should change country only when he is totally conquered. Playing a lot of single player with small countries I know you still can do a lot of great things and sometime you can get even more satisfaction out of this. And anyhow with the system of coalitions and alliances means that you are never too big or too small. And the Central Europe will soon be THE war zone and I think the borders and alliances will change quite fast in the later part of the game.

But I know what Morfeo means. Playing MP is so different than playing SP and I learned quite a lot about the way a MP game goes and I would love to have another game started from scrap with all this knowledge now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I second that. If you add also some big A.I. allies into the whole picture and the possibility to have some wars with over 100 regiments fights it's not that easy to go for that option when you still have better ones.

(fanboi, remember the war against France when Naples stepped in)

I expect some huge PvP wars towards the end of the game. Specially if France or Spain go into a PU. It could be the Bonaparte era wars all over again. It will get hotter, for sure. Wait for Morfeo to PU France and finish with the HRE countries. I bet on him being the Napoleon of our world.

I expect some huge PvP wars towards the end of the game. Specially if France or Spain go into a PU. It could be the Bonaparte era wars all over again. It will get hotter, for sure. Wait for Morfeo to PU France and finish with the HRE countries. I bet on him being the Napoleon of our world

I bet on him being the Napoleon of our world

Napoleon of our world

images

When this happens, don't say I didn't warn y'all.

:p

looks like you guys are having fun! I hope to be in one mp game one time, when my circumstances allows it

Morfeo

Seriously, this is some epic trolling right here on my behalf :( Dont listen to this guy, he dont know anything about what he is talking about! You all know that I am only interested in peaceful coexistance as the peaceful savoyan that I am!

Morfeo

Considering fanboi, I wrote this about him last week:

10. Burgundy/Fanboi - is just slightly stronger then when he started out, but has the hardest country as his main enemy, so that might be as expected. Is probably fighting a loosing war against France that will eventually make him irrelevant in the west. Was probably just a bit to aggressive early on, and hasnt really recovered his strength since.

I feel this was pretty much spot on with how he now seems to be giving up the fight. Would still love for you to continue on though!

Toma

Savoy with PU France and Burgundy with PU Spain together in the same game now would be really funky.

fanboi

Banned
Savoy with PU France and Burgundy with PU Spain together in the same game now would be really funky.

Another funky thing would be that:

It all started when our over-heralded star, Morfeo, woke up in a imaginery desert. It was the ninth time it had happened. Feeling abundantly stunned, Morfeo deflowered a wolverine, thinking it would make him feel better (but as usual, it did not). A few unsatisfying minutes later, he realized that his beloved iPad was missing! Immediately he called his so-called friend, Fanboi. Morfeo had known Fanboi for (plus or minus) half a million years, the majority of which were eccentric ones. Fanboi was unique. He was ingenious though sometimes a little... stupid. Morfeo called him anyway, for the situation was urgent.

Fanboi picked up to a very nervous Morfeo. Fanboi calmly assured him that most spotted wolf hamsters grimace before mating, yet legless puppies usually indiscriminately sneeze *after* mating. He had no idea what that meant; he was only concerned with distracting Morfeo. Why was Fanboi trying to distract Morfeo? Because he had snuck out from Morfeo's with the iPad only two days prior. It was a curious little iPad... how could he resist?

It didn't take long before Morfeo got back to the subject at hand: his iPad. Fanboi belched. Relunctantly, Fanboi invited him over, assuring him they'd find the iPad. Morfeo grabbed his elephant and disembarked immediately. After hanging up the phone, Fanboi realized that he was in trouble. He had to find a place to hide the iPad and he had to do it skillfully. He figured that if Morfeo took the wannabe go-fast Civic, he had take at least eight minutes before Morfeo would get there. But if he took the Segway? Then Fanboi would be very screwed.

Before he could come up with any reasonable ideas, Fanboi was interrupted by four pestering mooses that were lured by his iPad. Fanboi belched; 'Not again', he thought. Feeling worried, he thoughtfully reached for his carrot and fearlessly backhanded every last one of them. Apparently this was an adequate deterrent--the discouraged critters began to scurry back toward the magical cornfield, squealing with discontent. He exhaled with relief. That's when he heard the Segway rolling up. It was Morfeo.

The end.

In other words it will not happen :p

Toma

Another funky thing would be that:

It all started when our over-heralded star, Morfeo, woke up in a imaginery desert. It was the ninth time it had happened. Feeling abundantly stunned, Morfeo deflowered a wolverine, thinking it would make him feel better (but as usual, it did not). A few unsatisfying minutes later, he realized that his beloved iPad was missing! Immediately he called his so-called friend, Fanboi. Morfeo had known Fanboi for (plus or minus) half a million years, the majority of which were eccentric ones. Fanboi was unique. He was ingenious though sometimes a little... stupid. Morfeo called him anyway, for the situation was urgent.

Fanboi picked up to a very nervous Morfeo. Fanboi calmly assured him that most spotted wolf hamsters grimace before mating, yet legless puppies usually indiscriminately sneeze *after* mating. He had no idea what that meant; he was only concerned with distracting Morfeo. Why was Fanboi trying to distract Morfeo? Because he had snuck out from Morfeo's with the iPad only two days prior. It was a curious little iPad... how could he resist?

It didn't take long before Morfeo got back to the subject at hand: his iPad. Fanboi belched. Relunctantly, Fanboi invited him over, assuring him they'd find the iPad. Morfeo grabbed his elephant and disembarked immediately. After hanging up the phone, Fanboi realized that he was in trouble. He had to find a place to hide the iPad and he had to do it skillfully. He figured that if Morfeo took the wannabe go-fast Civic, he had take at least eight minutes before Morfeo would get there. But if he took the Segway? Then Fanboi would be very screwed.

Before he could come up with any reasonable ideas, Fanboi was interrupted by four pestering mooses that were lured by his iPad. Fanboi belched; 'Not again', he thought. Feeling worried, he thoughtfully reached for his carrot and fearlessly backhanded every last one of them. Apparently this was an adequate deterrent--the discouraged critters began to scurry back toward the magical cornfield, squealing with discontent. He exhaled with relief. That's when he heard the Segway rolling up. It was Morfeo.

The end.

In other words it will not happen :p

What I take from this, is that if the PUs do happen, there is a decent likelihood of you guys having a crush on each other.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That story was far too detailed to be a simple anecdote for the unlikeliness of joint PUs. Is there something we need to know about, Morfeo, fanboi?

EDIT: also, if you manage to get someone of the same dynasty on another throne, it really is not that difficult to PU them, it's just a matter of time.

EDIT2: also Novgorod is actually getting into a really good position now. If I weave a sufficiently good alliance network, I can beat Muscowy maybe one time in three in test runs (by which I mean, I did did three test runs and in one of them I managed to get Muscowy to give me 64 ducats). Give me another 120 years and I might be able actually take territory.

Morfeo

How much test runs are people doing really? I dont think I have done that since the first week or so myself.

Also, I would love to know how to get that PU everybody is talking about. I need to claim their throne right, which will put me in a war with them? And then I need to win it - is that it? So basically win one war and thats it?

Fitz

How much test runs are people doing really? I dont think I have done that since the first week or so myself.

Also, I would love to know how to get that PU everybody is talking about. I need to claim their throne right, which will put me in a war with them? And then I need to win it - is that it? So basically win one war and thats it?

I did a little bit of testing during my first war with the Ottomans, but I felt it was pointless after that because of RNG. I do however load up the current save before each game to re-familiarise myself with what's going on and what I'm doing.

Also: http://eu4wiki.com/Union

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I do maybe 2 or 3 test runs of about half an hour after each save, although I generally up the speed to about 5 or so. It's useful for me as I'm in a relatively 'stable' area in the sense that there are a only few major power blocks and thus the tendency for the game to diverge from the tests is low.

You can get Personal Unions in two main ways. In the first, you use Claim Throne when their monarch is old and heirless. If they die without an heir, they then automatically enter a Personal Union with you. The second, you use Claim Throne when they are of the same dynasty. You can then launch a war to claim the throne.

In your case, you and France are of the same dynasty. If you get your prestige higher than theirs, you can Claim Throne. If you win a war with 60% war-score, you can force them into PU. Alternatively, you can just wait until their monarch is old and heirless, and claim the throne then.

It might be redundant but I just wanted to say that I'm quitting this game. Too much stuff to do right now and I can't see my playthrough getting interesting in the future.

That said, I had a lot of fun with you guys! If and when another round of this starts I'll probably jump right back in it. Now, feel free to shred Hedjaz to pieces if you want a lot of piss-poor provinces :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So... has anyone else spotted Norway yet?

go home GB you're drunk

Mgoblue201

Something significant must have changed in patch 1.2 regarding the factors according to which the AI will set you as a rival. When the game was first released, I thought the AI was very good about recognizing its enemies and then knowing whom to ally with in order to defeat that enemy. But now national interest seems to be a secondary factor in choosing rivals. If the AI was smart, Ming would focus on conquering the other mainland nations within its immediate vicinity, and Manchu and Ayutthaya would want to ally with me to destroy Ming. Instead, Ming is almost obsessed with my territory, which they'll never get, and everyone in east Asia has set me as a rival. The AI's priorities are almost completely backwards now. Maybe Muscovy, when they arrive, will have more sense (I doubt it).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Something significant must have changed in patch 1.2 regarding the factors according to which the AI will set you as a rival. When the game was first released, I thought the AI was very good about recognizing its enemies and then knowing whom to ally with in order to defeat that enemy. But now national interest seems to be a secondary factor in choosing rivals. If the AI was smart, Ming would focus on conquering the other mainland nations within its immediate vicinity, and Manchu and Ayutthaya would want to ally with me to destroy Ming. Instead, Ming is almost obsessed with my territory, which they'll never get, and everyone in east Asia has set me as a rival. The AI's priorities are almost completely backwards now. Maybe Muscovy, when they arrive, will have more sense (I doubt it).

I get this too. I'm currently rivalled by Great Britain, Muscowy, Lithuania, Ryazan, Denmark, the Crimea and by AI Naples when I do test runs. I do not share a border with Crimea, nor am I even close to expanding in that direction. Both Crimea and I share a border with a much more powerful nation (Muscowy). However, I am completely unable to open up any diplomatic negotiations with Crimea despite the mutual benefit it would bring. I do not share a border with Ryazan, nor do I have any intent of conquering Ryazan - I simply want to stop Muscowy from claiming yet another part of the Form Russia! decision, because that will increase Muscowy's aggression against me. Ryazan is a fraction of my size, and an even smaller fraction of the size of Muscowy. Again, diplomatic negotiations between Novgorod and Ryazan would work for both nations. Great Britain and I do not share a border, anywhere. At closest, we are separated by two sea provinces. They are much closer to say, France, than they are to me. France is a more immediate threat, and France and Britain have directly competing interests. Given Great Britain isn't yet colonial, Great Britain and I share no competing interests. However, I am a rival and France is not. As for AI Naples... god only knows.

It's a very frustrating situation. The AI's ability to make strategic decisions or form coherent diplomatic relationships is bewilderingly poor. If my rivals were Denmark/Lithuania/Muscowy alone, I could understand. I'm in direct competition with Muscowy, and I'm busy scavenging Lithuania when I can. Denmark has a logical reason to desire my provinces. But the other four? It's just madness. Not only that, it's damaging madness for the AI, particularly in the case of Crimea and Ryazan, who do not seem to realize how vital I am to their future interests.

AAR - 1572-1578 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
After struggling for decades I finally reached 100% religious unity again and I've increased my army and navy to the force limits. Being boxed in and watching my peaceful* neighbors expand isn't sustainable in the long run so I decided to punch a hole to the east. Poland couldn't deal with half of Europe invading at the same time, and Manik decided to generously donate four provinces to me in exchange for a white peace. No blood was spilled and this solution won't hurt our long-term relationship.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 27(+4 from Poland this session)
Allies: Bohemia, France, Georgia, Wallachia
At War With: None

fanboi

Banned
AAR - 1572-1578 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
After struggling for decades I finally reached 100% religious unity again and I've increased my army and navy to the force limits. Being boxed in and watching my peaceful* neighbors expand isn't sustainable in the long run so I decided to punch a hole to the east. Poland couldn't deal with half of Europe invading at the same time, and Manik decided to generously donate four provinces to me in exchange for a white peace. No blood was spilled and this solution won't hurt our long-term relationship.

Province Count: Original(8) + 27(+4 from Poland this session)
Allies: Bohemia, France, Georgia, Wallachia
At War With: None

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

hehehehehe_duck.gif

Kabouter

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/hehehehehe_duck.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't buy that, you forced him to give up land. No hard feelings, yeah right. Good to see some PvP action though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR - 1572-1578 Austria

After a bumpy start of the session with lots of connectivity issues, I felt the need for some action so I decided to support the actions of my dear southern neighbor and play a little bit of a war game towards the East. I ended up with two provinces and immediately freed the rich and peaceful Krakow under my protection. Of course I too hope that this little adventure won't hurt our long-term relationship with Poland. I'm also happy that our dear Venice can now extend towards East.

Province Count: 21
Vassals: Augsburg, Bavaria, Hungary, Krakow
Allies: France, Denmark, Spain
At War With: no-one, I'm as peaceful as Savoy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Manik, we stopped this session 10 minutes early because your AI declared war on Muscowy, Venice and Bohemia (no, I don't know either). When we start up, we'll start from the auto-save in the month before, November, when you hadn't declared war, but this is a one off get-out-of-jail free card. You have to be there next session or your AI will do horrible, horrible things. :(

Fitz

Did Poland declare directly on Muscovy? I suppose the AI saw that Muscovy was in a war (with Me and Georgia against Crimea + The Mameluks and friends) and decided that their moment of glory was at hand.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The lack of response from Manik is worrying me. If he drops out, I'll be all by my lonesome in northern Europe. :(

Morfeo

I dont think I can come tonight :( But we will see. Now lets hope the work done by the peaceful savoyan will be enough to keep my enemies at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom