• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Burgundy was not involved in any wars yesterday, at least not after I got the message settings sorted out again about ten minutes into the game, so they should be fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How is multiplayer working with DLC? Could we play next game (when we will start) with the new expansion included? (assuming everyone has it) That will bring some more thrill into the game.

So, the time has come to announce the first expansion for our empire-building game Europa Universalis IV. As you all know, Europa Universalis IV is a game where you can play any country in the world. However the main focus has always been on Europe (hence Europa Universalis ), but now the time has come to move that focus a little, across the Atlantic. It’s time to do the Conquest of Paradise!

Finding Paradise
Are you ready to explore a brave new world? Personally, a lot of the fun in playing Europa Universalis is the first X in the term ‘4x’, eXploration and sending explorers out to discover new continents. If you play a nation in Europe close to the sea, you will send out an explorer to find America or the route to India.
However, when it comes to true exploration, as opposed to real world explorers, you as a player have an advantage - because you would know where you should go to find a new continent. Most Europa Universalis IV players, unlike most 15th century explorers, have a rough idea about where America is - so some of the excitement in exploration is lost.
Therefore, in Conquest of Paradise, you as a player will have the option of completely randomizing the new world. We wanted you to have the option to really explore a brand new continent. So for the first time ever in a Paradox Development Studio game, you can now choose to discover a completely randomized American continent. Therefore, when Columbus sets sails across the ocean, he might just find some nice islands that he can use as a stopover on his route to India or something completely different…

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For multiplayer, the DLC available is that which the host has purchased and activated, even if you haven't.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How is multiplayer working with DLC? Could we play next game (when we will start) with the new expansion included? (assuming everyone has it) That will bring some more thrill into the game.

That is a cool idea for SP especially. Not sure how much sense it makes in an MP environment where I try to calculate risks vs odds and where players can just play the savegame in between each session to uncover the whole map in SP before others see it in MP. Sounds like an extra hassle to me in an MP environment at least.

Or has anyone another impression?

Really looking forward to it as SP content though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The question is if this is one time randomization at the beginning or if it can be done anytime (leaving the already explored land in place)?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The question is if this is one time randomization at the beginning or if it can be done anytime (leaving the already explored land in place)?

I can only imagine a one time randomization tbh.

Morfeo

Sounds like a great expansion, but I agree it will be kinda pointless when we can all check the saves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if I'd approve of the randomization with regards to multiplayer, but certainly I feel the generally improved representation of the colonization process is a good thing. I'd be up for starting over once it is released and one of us who is willing to host has bought it.

Manik

Might only just make the end of this session as I'm out at a fireworks display and having dinner with friends after. Will try my best though!

World map - 1607
5IhLYpy.png
Save game - http://dropcanvas.com/al0lj

fanboi

Banned
Well, sorry guys, but that was the end for me.

No point in continueing since France will take me bit by bit.

I am totally up for a new game when you are done.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So for us folks remaining, my vote is that we continue to play until Tuesday, Dec 10th, and after that start a new multiplayer session using the new DLC so all our fallen comrades can rejoin at an appropriate juncture. Anyone against?

I won't start another multiplayer game this year. Once we're done with this I'll play something else. I still haven't put more than five minutes into Crusader Kings II.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So for us folks remaining, my vote is that we continue to play until Tuesday, Dec 10th, and after that start a new multiplayer session using the new DLC so all our fallen comrades can rejoin at an appropriate juncture. Anyone against?

I'm fine with this idea.

I won't start another multiplayer game this year. Once we're done with this I'll play something else. I still haven't put more than five minutes into Crusader Kings II.

Actually I played more SP in CKII lately than in EUIV. So maybe a multiplayer for CKII ?

Well, I have ~350 games in my backlog and I'm getting a PS4 in December so I was planning on playing some Killzone: Shadow Fall or an old adventure game instead.

Fitz

I'd still like to see this round through to the end, of course if the majority of people want to stop before that point then I can live with it, I'll just have to finish the save in single-player.

Toma

I'd still like to see this round through to the end, of course if the majority of people want to stop before that point then I can live with it, I'll just have to finish the save in single-player.

I want to play through the end as well. I mean its nice to have more people in the game, but its pointless from my point of view if we never end a game. Actually, if we really never end a game, I might not play the next MP game since it means I can never be sure whether the game will run long enough for me to do my plans. We knew it was going to be a month long wait for some people, and its a bit annoying to see people wanting to drop the game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just to make it clear, I'd actually be very happy to keep going with the game as it is now. I only made the suggestion because I'm increasingly conscious of the steady collapse in people.

Morfeo

I almost never play past 1600 even in singpleplayer, and is SO ready to start over. My vote is for new game sooner rather than later. :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Shall we cast a vote, then? I say it purely because if we do decide to restart for the DLC, knowing in advance gives us a better opportunity to organize convenient times and let people know, etc.

Manik

Ditto - I wouldn't start another multiplayer round before the New Year, so am quite happy just carrying on with this one and seeing it through until the end.

Edit - So, if we're doing a vote, then count me in to the 'Continue with the current setup' side.

Morfeo

A vote is a good idea, but we need to know the alternatives. Of course its better to continue with 5 than start over with 2, so I think we should wait a bit and let more people write before we start voting. I also think its a decent idea to write in the OT and see how many players there would be interested in a new game. Last, if we do indeed start over, I volunteer to organize the picking of nations and so on.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The game is only just now becoming really interesting for me (a consequence of playing an isolated eastern Asian nation), so my preference is to continue at least until 1700.

Toma

The game is only just now becoming really interesting for me (a consequence of playing an isolated eastern Asian nation), so my preference is to continue at least until 1700.

Allll the way through 18xx for me.

Morfeo

This just shows that playing an isolated, eastern, asian country in a multiplayer-game is not really a good idea. You risk that other are tired of the game/want to start over when you finally gets to interact with them :)

This was also why I picked Savoy, in between all my complaining, I have had an awesome game with a ton of other humans closeby. All my actions have had to be considered in the light of how my neighbours would respond to it, and a lot of the game have been about bargaining, planning - and sometimes also feeling threatened. This has made every session tense and enjoyable, as you never quite now when its your turn to be on the receiving end of something like Cazzy experienced. This is also why I am still playing, even though I have wanted to start over for a while. It is after all more fun to be a part of a game like this with these interactions, than not :)

Reasons I want to start over has nothing to do with the dynamics between players anymore (that felt worse when I was very weak earlier). It has to do with 1. We have dropped a lot of players, 2. the game has lost the historical flair that makes Europa Universalis so enjoyable for a history-junkie like myself, and 3. I really regret my choice of country (even though the interactions with the human neighbours have been fun).

Toma

This just shows that playing an isolated, eastern, asian country in a multiplayer-game is not really a good idea. You risk that other are tired of the game/want to start over when you finally gets to interact with them :)

This was also why I picked Savoy, in between all my complaining, I have had an awesome game with a ton of other humans closeby. All my actions have had to be considered in the light of how my neighbours would respond to it, and a lot of the game have been about bargaining, planning - and sometimes also feeling threatened. This has made every session tense and enjoyable, as you never quite now when its your turn to be on the receiving end of something like Cazzy experienced. This is also why I am still playing, even though I have wanted to start over for a while. It is after all more fun to be a part of a game like this with these interactions, than not :)

Reasons I want to start over has nothing to do with the dynamics between players anymore (that felt worse when I was very weak earlier). It has to do with 1. We have dropped a lot of players, 2. the game has lost the historical flair that makes Europa Universalis so enjoyable for a history-junkie like myself, and 3. I really regret my choice of country (even though the interactions with the human neighbours have been fun).

It was a pretty great idea because Vija is really fun to play and the build up in itself was/is totally worth it, and who is to say that I didnt enjoy the MP round so far? I had some banter with Hedjaz, Ming and Japan, not to mention it was nice to see how Europe developed under non-AI hands in the same consistent world.

And dropping players + losing historical flair happens over time since the game doesnt run historical and eventually nations/players drop out because they didnt realize how long such a game goes or because their nation just died, and at one point people shouldnt reenter these games because its still a sort of competetive game and reentering nilly-willy will just lead to confusion and frustration for the other players who planned some things for decades and are fucked over by a player entering that spot now.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Next time, perhaps there should be a greater mix of more traditional early game powers. I'd rather have a human-controlled France who can act as power broker and interact in an interesting way with other players than an AI France who's just going to be a dick and ruin things for other people. I think the Paradox office multiplayer shows that you can derive plenty of enjoyment from the second half of the game once long-time alliances solidify and distinct power blocks emerge. The current game has been really chaotic, with many players expanding in unusual ways.

fanboi

Banned
Just have to say guys, even that I now have dropped this game, I have had a blast and it has been a wonderful group of people.

Morfeo

Next time, perhaps there should be a greater mix of more traditional early game powers. I'd rather have a human-controlled France who can act as power broker and interact in an interesting way with other players than an AI France who's just going to be a dick and ruin things for other people. I think the Paradox office multiplayer shows that you can derive plenty of enjoyment from the second half of the game once long-time alliances solidify and distinct power blocks emerge. The current game has been really chaotic, with many players expanding in unusual ways.

This is what I have said all the time. We need players to control France, the Ottos, GB and so on, and it should be a goal for the next game that these nations get played.

Morfeo

I think we should use the lists I, Kabouter and Crabby made to decide who gets to pick nations first - which probably lets Kingsnake get first shot at picking France. Considering how he has ruined Austria, that shouldnt be to terrifying :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think we should use the lists I, Kabouter and Crabby made to decide who gets to pick nations first - which probably lets Kingsnake get first shot at picking France. Considering how he has ruined Austria, that shouldnt be to terrifying :)

I hope you will be my neighbor in the next game. :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
From my perspective, I'm pretty happy to keep going as we are now. Now I'm a Protestant Westernized Constitutional Republic with Novgorod's bonus to Republican Tradition, I'm about to tech crazy fast. I did a quick test and managed to have a 6/6/6 ruler for 11 years and only dropped to 88 Republican Tradition thanks to some unlucky events.

Morfeo

I hope you will be my neighbor in the next game. :)

I hope so to - so that we can continue the peaceful cooperation and coexistance that have characterized our relationship in this game :)

About the current game, it doesnt really seem like there are too many people ready for a new game, so we will probably continue it for a while still.

Kabouter

As for the options, I would rather finish the existing game as I think it will get more and more interesting.

Agreed. It's more fun to follow when easy, good, expansion opportunities end and players have to turn on each other. I can only imagine the Neapolitan-Venetian axis will be quite the terror when they realize the best expansion opportunities lie with the high base tax provinces of their European neighbours.

As for the options, I would rather finish the existing game as I think it will get more and more interesting.
Yeah, that's definitely what I prefer too. I've invested a lot of resources into long-term investments that aren't going to pay off until later in the game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really annoyed I let France get to the Creek before me. I'm going to vassalize what remains of the Creek and pump France's part full of rebels in an attempt to get most of it back, but meh. Very poor play on my behalf, easily the silliest thing I've done in a while given how long I've bordered Creek and how easy they are to conquer. I just didn't want to go too far over my diplo-limit.

AAR - 1607 1615- Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
After getting my overextension down and my republican tradition up, I was able to go from -1 stability to +1 without spending too many points. A second after that a random event brought me up to +2.

My plans to invade Lithuania changed when they became a lesser PU partner under France. Unfortunately for Poland that meant that I continued to expand in their direction instead. Muscovy has me set as a rival and I need to increase my land force limit before they decide to invade.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 37(4 from Poland this session)
Allies: Bohemia, France, Georgia, Great Britain
At War With: The Netherlands, Creek, The Mamluks, Persia, Swahili

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Checked the save, pro-tip for Austria, mouse over your diplomatic and military points in the top of the screen.

I do play like a two years old, don't I? Lol

I know what you mean and I'm checking that regularly. I have a regency council now. Which doesn't help.
I have a good reason for the diplo-exuberance, let's see if it works out.

Manik

Ouch, another disastrous session for me.

Started off badly when I missed last session and found out that the AI had gotten itself into an unwinnable war (which it proceded to unwin) and sunk my prestige further into the minus figures, meaning that when my ruler died the PU with Sweden ended up broken once again.

Muscowy then dissolved the alliance I had with them, and the AI had previously cancelled my alliance with Crab (as it seems to do either time one of us misses a session).

I was starting to gear up to go to war with Sweden to restore the PU, but days before I was set to declare war, Venice declared upon me and I was pretty much doomed from that point on - they brought in Georgia, France, Lithuania, Bohemia, so I didn't have a hope in hell. Ended up giving away yet another 4 provinces to Venice.

Whilst I was getting trashed by 4 of the biggest countries in Europe, Brandenburg decided they would declare war on me and bring Sweden along for the ride, so am now sitting in an ongoing war with them. Chances are that'll be another 2/3 provinces I'll end up giving away.

Not really sure where it's possible to go from here - I'm nowhere near an experienced enough player to dig myself out of the mess I'm in, and I seem to be shedding provinces left, right and centre. I do want to continue, but it's looking like a less and less viable proposition with each passing session. At this point I'm not even sure it's worth salvaging!

Kabouter

I do play like a two years old, don't I? Lol

I know what you mean and I'm checking that regularly. I have a regency council now. Which doesn't help.
I have a good reason for the diplo-exuberance, let's see if it works out.

That's not what I said, I just figured it was a bit excessive and you might not have noticed you went over the limit by quite that much. I suppose having all those allies helps you out a lot though, because if you were on your own you'd probably suffer the same fate as Poland since your tech is behind Swahili's.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, I think I'll have to miss this Sunday's session, unless anyone is up for a time change - I was maybe hoping now we're down in numbers we can be a bit more flexible, but it's cool if we're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom