• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I might be a tad late as well, will hotjoin in case that happens.

Manik

I'm here, I'm here! Sorry - was really busy at the late end of Tuesday night. Should be around this evening. My AI clearly has one crazy death wish declaring on Muscowy. Hope I can put a stop to that...

World map - 1592
si1XPBE.png

Save game - http://dropcanvas.com/ayurq

AAR - 1582-1592 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
I decided to invade Crimea after they ended their war against Georgia and Muscovy. Unfortunately that meant fighting against The Mamluks too. I just stomped their last big stack when we decided to stop for tonight and now that Naples declared their own war against them, they should be neutralized for a while.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 27
Allies: Bohemia, France, Georgia, Wallachia, Great Britain
At War With: The Palatinate, Silesia, The Mamluks, Crimea, Persia, Swahili.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't notice you were Westernizing off Spain, mgo.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It was probably a terrible idea to take those Korean provinces only a year or two before I can westernize. I'm going to get a lot of rebels unless I religiously and culturally convert everything.
Didn't notice you were Westernizing off Spain, mgo.
It's probably the fastest way to westernize. Choco has a port facing toward the Pacific, so reaching South America is an easy matter. Spain still doesn't know I exist either, even though we're neighbors.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, you haven't actually started? Good luck with it all.

EDIT: Woah... is that Chimu in South America?

EDIT: Never mind, forgot what colour the Inca were.

Fitz

I've got you covered Arch! Brilliant war so far. I had a stack of 2 regiments that I'd detached from one of my armies to lay siege, only to find a 13 size enemy army pop out of the fog. I wheeled the nearest full army back to help, though they were just about too far to make it in time. Luckily my 2 stack won Vs the 13, because it was just a bunch of Swahili tribesmen flailing spears!

I was a bit unlucky. One of my big stacks got caught with a -4 terrain/river penalty against a great general. Fortunately I had my manpower reserve maxed out so I was able to quickly build a new army.

Mgoblue201

It's not worth westernizing until my 4/2/2 heir takes over, so I still have time to convert the Korean provinces. It's not the revolt risk that's the problem anyway; it's the annoying westernization events.

It was the peasants' war that did them in.

Europe is also a hot mess right now. There is a new blue nation (Holland?) inside Burgundy and the coalition against Morfeo finally had enough. Denmark is leading the war against him together with France, Burgundy and a handful of smaller nations.

Kabouter

It was the peasants' war that did them in.

Europe is also a hot mess right now. There is a new blue nation (Holland?) inside Burgundy and the coalition against Morfeo finally had enough. Denmark is leading the war against him together with France, Burgundy and a handful of smaller nations.

That colour is Flanders almost certainly. Surprised Burgundy turned against Sardinia-Piedmont.

Mgoblue201

Ming succumbed quickly to an epic peasants war. I'm not sure a human player would have survived intact either. I could only catch glimpses of it, but the huge rebel stacks were occupying everything.

Kabouter

Ming succumbed quickly to an epic peasants war. I'm not sure a human player would have survived intact either. I could only catch glimpses of it, but the huge rebel stacks were occupying everything.

I think it's mainly that I wouldn't have gotten in a position to get a peasant's war to begin with. From the requirements:
Manpower percentage is less than 0.25. < Wouldn't happen to me

None of these are likely:
Any of the following:

War exhaustion is at least 10.
Overextension percentage is at least 0.25.
Legitimacy is less than 75.
Number of loans is at least 10.

Mgoblue201

The event conditions aren't that stringent, though. One heir with an average claim strength and one bad war which drains your manpower and you already meet the hardest conditions (though even then it's rare; the average time in which it occurs is more than 50 years). Of course, there's no reason why a country as powerful as Ming, surrounded by so many non-threatening countries, should have manpower less than 0.25. A human player would obviously avoid that. However, the AI in general is awful at managing manpower, so it's not a problem endemic to the Ming AI.
Please tell me Japan took the opportunity to grab some turf from them at least?
Three provinces from Korea; vassalize Korea in the next war.

Kabouter

The event conditions aren't that stringent, though. One heir with an average claim strength and one bad war which drains your manpower and you already meet the hardest conditions (though even then it's rare; the average time in which it occurs is more than 50 years). Of course, there's no reason why a country as powerful as Ming, surrounded by so many non-threatening countries, should have manpower less than 0.25. A human player would obviously avoid that. However, the AI in general is awful at managing manpower, so it's not a problem endemic to the Ming AI.

Three provinces from Korea; vassalize Korea in the next war.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have gotten manpower that low, war exhaustion that high (or even above like...2), overextension at all really (vassals), and that number of loans (because I had like 10k in the bank). And the reason the Ming AI is especially likely to get a Peasant's war is that when it loses an heir, it doesn't know to switch back to the Bureaucratic faction with its increased chance of heir, so it's stuck with the inward perfection -50% chance of heir, making it very likely that it gets a low legitimacy heir.

So yeah, impossible to get as a player controlled Ming.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Could anybody give a summary of what happend when I was away? My once so peaceful nation seems like it is in a complete mess now :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Could anybody give a summary of what happend when I was away? My once so peaceful nation seems like it is in a complete mess now :(

I think it would have happened regardless of if you were there or not. Denmark launched a punitive war quite early on in the session, as the head of a coalition involving France, Burgundy, Denmark themselves, Great Britain and about every HRE minor. By the looks of it, they hit destroyed your manpower and took all your lunch money, but I can't see any major territorial changes.

EDIT: Possibly they forced you to release some vassals, but I can't remember which vassals you had already.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't that war still on-going? I don't remember seeing a peace deal. But then again I was busy with my own wars.

No, it's finished and I just realised what they asked for - Sardinia-Piedmont has released Provence. (lol)

Morfeo

The likelyness of it happening would have been lower as long as I was in alliance with Burgund, and i the case of such a war I would have given up at once (releasing provence and some vassals maybe), instead of destroying my manpower. Might be time to go I think.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The likelyness of it happening would have been lower as long as I was in alliance with Burgund, and i the case of such a war I would have given up at once (releasing provence and some vassals maybe), instead of destroying my manpower. Might be time to go I think.

You still have a very big empire, I dont get why you give up so easily.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You still have the 4th or 5th largest force limits, and your manpower will be up to half full in five years, in which time basically nobody in Europe can attack you. The only one of us who really had a right to complain at the moment is Cazz, who has spent the last 3 sessions trying to get back to where he was 4 sessions ago. Your losses will be back in 2 sessions max.

Morfeo

Its not about complaining, I know I am big and all that. It just pissed me off (although I guess it was to be expected), and right now im not really motivated to continue. Might be different on sundy though.

Manik

Yup - in the last 3 sessions I've done nothing but go backwards. I've had to give up 6 provinces to Venice and Hungary, my prestige is somewhere a million miles below zero, I've had a regency council, lost my PU with Sweden and thus 40 years of trying to integrate them. I've got basically nowhere left to expand into, especially if other player characters drop out, because the AI won't even speak to me.

I won't quit though - I'm still learning things about the game, as badly as I'm doing, and it seems unfair just to bail out and end up with half as many players as we started with.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yup - in the last 3 sessions I've done nothing but go backwards. I've had to give up 6 provinces to Venice and Hungary, my prestige is somewhere a million miles below zero, I've had a regency council, lost my PU with Sweden and thus 40 years of trying to integrate them. I've got basically nowhere left to expand into, especially if other player characters drop out, because the AI won't even speak to me.

I won't quit though - I'm still learning things about the game, as badly as I'm doing, and it seems unfair just to bail out and end up with half as many players as we started with.

At least you have Sweden back now at least, and you've exited the regency council. The only way from here is up.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the face of a ghost
how can you post? :)

Mgoblue201

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have gotten manpower that low, war exhaustion that high (or even above like...2), overextension at all really (vassals), and that number of loans (because I had like 10k in the bank). And the reason the Ming AI is especially likely to get a Peasant's war is that when it loses an heir, it doesn't know to switch back to the Bureaucratic faction with its increased chance of heir, so it's stuck with the inward perfection -50% chance of heir, making it very likely that it gets a low legitimacy heir.

So yeah, impossible to get as a player controlled Ming.
The 25% overextension is a really easy condition to meet, but for whatever reason the Ming AI wasn't doing much conquering (it never did annex Manchu, which was small and diplomatically isolated), so one of the other conditions must have triggered the peasant's war - if I had to guess, it was probably low legitimacy. I believe their legitimacy fell really low when their 20-year-old ruler died without an heir and a monarch from the Hosokawa dynasty ascended to the throne (my marriage policies paid off for once). Judging by one of the older saves I still have lying around, the Bureaucratic faction was apparently in effect at this time (not intentionally, of course). Their emperor simply died too young for the bonus to heir chance to matter.

Kabouter

The 25% overextension is a really easy condition to meet, but for whatever reason the Ming AI wasn't doing much conquering (it never did annex Manchu, which was small and diplomatically isolated), so one of the other conditions must have triggered the peasant's war - if I had to guess, it was probably low legitimacy. I believe their legitimacy fell really low when their 20-year-old ruler died without an heir and a monarch from the Hosokawa dynasty ascended to the throne (my marriage policies paid off for once). Judging by one of the older saves I still have lying around, the Bureaucratic faction was apparently in effect at this time (not intentionally, of course). Their emperor simply died too young for the bonus to heir chance to matter.
Something not helped by the fact that the AI loves making the ruler a unit leader. Also I'm not sure I ever had 25% overextension during the game for more than maybe three months? I am not an aggressive player. Stability was my main angle, which included converting buddhist provinces, something the AI didn't do for some reason despite being able to thanks to the religious ideas I'd chosen.

Edit: Actually always my angle when playing really, aggressive growth is nice and all, but I hate losing territory or getting rebels far more than I hate missing out on conquering opportunities.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I may be late or even absent tonight. Apologies.

Mgoblue201

After looking over my current situation, it appears that I made quite a few mistakes which will delay the westernization process. First, I had neglected the fact that +3 stability is a requirement for beginning westernization. I had already wasted most of my admin points on the next technology level and can't reach +3 for at least another few years. Second, I can't begin westernization when I'm overextended, and I just conquered those three Korean provinces. It's unfortunate that Korea decided to break free at the worst possible time.

I think the best strategy is to vassalize Korea as soon as possible and sell their provinces back to them (I had to take three provinces in the last war to make them small enough to vassalize in the first place). That will save about 175 admin points. I need, at the very least, another two stability. However, my emperor could die soon, or I might get a bad event. So it's possible that I will need three or four stability, which will take a few years of accumulating admin points to reach. All of which means that I doubt I'm going to be westernizing today.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like I'll just about make it, but literally on the dot at 11:00.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My train tore up some rail on the way to Oxford and took structural damage. I'm stuck in Leamington Spa until a replacement train can be organised, so have to sit this out. Apologies.

Cazz, I apologise in advance for any AI twattery.

Morfeo

Found out that I lost 12 provinces and about 70k manpower/troops last time, but at least managed to regain 9 provinces and about 20k manpower today, so that was nice. Seriously hate all the desicions the AI did for me though, like the one that reduce your tax income by 15% for some papal influence :(

AAR - 1592-1602 - Venice

Description of the actions during the session:
Two wars against Crimea earned me another six provinces. The Mamluks inherited the remaining three from a royal marriage. My stability is down to -1 so I guess I'm spending the next session doing administrative tasks. Integrating all the tartars is going to take a while.

State at the end of the session:
Province Count: Original(8) + 33
Allies: Bohemia, France, Georgia, Wallachia, Great Britain
At War With: None

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The war's still on-going. I'm at -40, but Spain will peace out if I become Catholic, and it takes two or three months for Protestant rebels to switch me back, I'm not fussed. The A.I. actually successfully managed to Westernize me, so I'm moderately impressed from that perspective. Of all the times the A.I. has taken over, this was definitely the least bad for me, they've set me back a few years at most.

fanboi

Banned
Sorry guys for not attending yesterday, but I was ill... whole room was spinning and I felt like Burgun... shit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can I have fairly long pause at the start of next session? The A.I. has me at a huge deficit and it takes a while to track down and disband all of the tiny 1-stacks it has in cogs in the Caribbean for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom