• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just bought Conquest of Paradise btw, are there any other differences than the new world stuff? Seems I just wasted 15$ :(

Anyways, I did a small trial run with Muscovy and HOLY FUCK does it cost a ton to core the steppe. Are there any events or something I should be aware of, or is the best solution to simply do the vassalize->annexation trick with everything, even the russian provinces?

Fitz

Just bought Conquest of Paradise btw, are there any other differences than the new world stuff? Seems I just wasted 15$ :(

Anyways, I did a small trial run with Muscovy and HOLY FUCK does it cost a ton to core the steppe. Are there any events or something I should be aware of, or is the best solution to simply do the vassalize->annexation trick with everything, even the russian provinces?

You're not able to vassalise the steppe hordes as Russia any more, only make Protectorates of them. I suppose the Admin ideas may be of some limited used for the discount to core creation cost and time. Not sure what the best practice is though, haven't played a Russian nation since CoP.

Kabouter

You're not able to vassalise the steppe hordes as Russia any more, only make Protectorates of them. I suppose the Admin ideas may be of some limited used for the discount to core creation cost and time. Not sure what the best practice is though, haven't played a Russian nation since CoP.

1.5 will disable the possibility to make protectorates out of hordes, they need to be conquered. And Morfeo, look at it this way, yes you will spend a lot coring the hordes (but you get missions for claims, which is important), but you need to fall behind in non-military tech anyway if you want to westernize, so you can just kill two birds with one stone that way.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Horde provinces are lol tax anyway. It's nothing like trying to core 15 tax Lombard, or 8 tax Gorz after Austria gets Local Nobility.

Muscovy russia is still an expansion monster, just lean on the hordes like a prize fighter while your free colonist expands to the pacific. Over the years they'll grow increasingly feeble.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
What will the new patch do?
Not entirely sure about the extent of the changes, but besides the one Kabouter mentioned, I believe they're also nerfing great power alliances, rebalancing AE (again), and fixing a few major bugs, such as the problems with exiled AI.

I'm going to be a little busy on Tuesday anyway, so we'll have to start on Thursday. Does anyone want to host the game? I won't be able to do it.
1.5 will disable the possibility to make protectorates out of hordes, they need to be conquered. And Morfeo, look at it this way, yes you will spend a lot coring the hordes (but you get missions for claims, which is important), but you need to fall behind in non-military tech anyway if you want to westernize, so you can just kill two birds with one stone that way.
Can hordes still be vassalized then?

Kabouter

Not entirely sure about the extent of the changes, but besides the one Kabouter mentioned, I believe they're also nerfing great power alliances, rebalancing AE (again), and fixing a few major bugs, such as the problems with exiled AI.

I'm going to be a little busy on Tuesday anyway, so we'll have to start on Thursday. Does anyone want to host the game? I won't be able to do it.
I can host I guess.

Can hordes still be vassalized then?

I don't know. I haven't played the beta patch since they removed the protectorate option, but if I had to guess, no.

Haly

If we had, I'm confident I'd already be in search of a new nation to play given the AIs competence when it comes to playing OPMs :p
An AI Gelre AAR would be like this:

1442 - Game starts.
1443 - Vassaled by Burgandy RIP

Haly

Wait, how am I supposed to plan for war without my ledger???

Haly

Easy for France to say, you're gifted in the balls department.

Kabouter

I don't have much faith in the AI, but it invariably seems to do well with Muscovy, and there's usually at least someone who can't make it, we can keep postponing indefinitely that way. I say let's just start tomorrow.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Its true that Muscovy will probably be fine without me playing them today (hey, they will probably be a big power even if I never tune in), but since its difficult for both me and Fanboi, I say its fair that we wait for tuesday.

Haly

Come on down to beautiful Italia, Kabouter.

Haly

Is the room up? I'm getting a Game Not Found when I do Connect to ID.

Kabouter

I am trying to connect but it keeps saying no game found

Don't know how Haly solved it, but we've started because otherwise we'd keep getting the annoying hosting too long in lobby crash bug. Hotjoin is enabled, so if you can get it to work, you're in. What worked in the past was joining by clicking on a friend on Steam in this game and selecting join game or whatever with the game not started up at that time.

Haly

I clicked "Join Game" under Kabouter's dropdown menu. It takes a few tries but eventually it goes through.

Kabouter

We played from 1444-1455. Unfortunately ZZMitch couldn't get a good connection, and the AI wasn't able to maintain the PU with Sweden, and it doesn't seem like he'd be happy going back to Denmark. I would suggest he switch to Sweden next session.

Here's the world map:
eu4_map_gel_1455_06_2khu7f.png

AAR - 20/02/2014 - Gelre
Description of the actions during the session:
Initially I allied with France (fanboi), Friesland and Oldenburg and began fabricating claims on Münster. I also immediately loaded up massively on loans and expanded my army well beyond my force limit so I actually had some offensive ability. After the claim was done, I immediately declared war on Münster and their ally Utrecht, and ended up vassalizing both. I later gained the province of Munster in Ireland thanks to fanboi. Overall it was a good session, but I do worryingly have large amounts of AE on the entire HRE, and have a coalition against me that is likely stronger than me due to it including the Hansa. I intend to take it easier next session to let the AE die down a little.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: 2 (+1)
Vassals or PU: Münster, Utrecht
At War With: None

ZZMitch

Haha I was half joking about bailing on Denmark, I feel like I can get em going! I still have Norway and Holstein under my wing and maybe ill be able to work Sweden over a bit before the Moscovy player gets em!!

The real question is if my connection can hold up next time.

Mgoblue201

Haha I was half joking about bailing on Denmark, I feel like I can get em going! I still have Norway and Holstein under my wing and maybe ill be able to work Sweden over a bit before the Moscovy player gets em!!

The real question is if my connection can hold up next time.
OOS errors really suck. They have a habit of popping up all at once, whereas some sessions are completely error free; I hope that's the case here. Are you on a different connection than you would normally use?

Haly

Venice AAR - 02/20/2014

Summary:
The very first thing I did was revoke my guarantee on Rhodes, because it's a useless island no one cares about. Right after that, I acquired claims on Morea and Donji Kraji. With the claim on Morea, I declared war on the Byzantines and took Achaea, Morea and Athens, while at the same time preventing the Ottomans from taking Constantinople thanks to warscore shenanigans (for only a few years, Byzantium fell half a decade later). To my good fortune, not only did rebels turn Corfu over to the Byzantines (freeing up a much needed diplomatic relation), but Bosnia annexed Ragusa shortly before I vassalized Bosnia, allowing me to gain a chunk of the Balkans and the most lucrative province in the Ragusa trade node in one fell swoop.

Towards the end of the session, I pulled back my troops in order to let my manpower recover and focused on infrastructure. My primary goal over the next few sessions is the dismantlement of the benighted heathen empire of the Ottomans. To that end, I allied the Mamluks (mgoblue) and Poland-Lithuania. I took Naval Ideas as my first Idea, not because it's particularly good for Venice (it isn't), but because I can't afford to let the Ottomans have a 50% Naval Force Limit over me. I have seen what they are capable of with such numbers and I will not lie idly by while they take control of the Mediterranean. I also built Armories in all my non-Grecen provinces so I can sustain a prolonged war with the Ottomans.

Once I annex Naxos and Bosnia, Serbia and Hungary are next on the list.

Army: 18/21, 14/4/0
Navy: 34/30, 0/14/10/10
Manpower: 7000/20000
Vassals Gained: Bosnia
Vassals Lost: Corfu
Provinces Gained: Donji Kraji, Bosnia, Hum, Travunia, Ragusa, Achaea, Morea, Athens
Provinces Lost: Corfu
Allies Gained: The Mamluks, Poland-Lithuania

Mgoblue201

For a country that almost always gets annexed every game, the Mamluks actually start out in a surprisingly good position, with a force limit almost equal to the size of the Ottomans and a superior navy. Now that I've had the chance play through the first decade of a Mamluk game, I wonder if it would have been better just to take the stability hit and declare war on the Ottomans from the beginning, before they had a chance to build up their army. On the other hand, playing cautiously gives me plenty of time to expand into the Middle East and Africa and try to contain the Ottomans. I've already conquer Massawa and vassalized both Tripoli and Najd. And the worst case scenario for the Mamluks, that is being encircled by a joint Ottomans-Qara Qoyunlu alliance, did not transpire. That will make Qara easier to conquer. My long term plan is to become the King of Gondor...I mean Gonder. Then maybe I'll carve up the Ottomans.

ZZMitch

OOS errors really suck. They have a habit of popping up all at once, whereas some sessions are completely error free; I hope that's the case here. Are you on a different connection than you would normally use?

Yes, I am currently in Maine during reading week on a ski trip. I go to school in Toronto and will be there for the next session so maybe things will be different.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR - 20/02/2014 Portugal

Summary:
It was a quiet start for me. I made an alliance with Castille and England broke their alliance with me. Main purpose was to focus on tech, so I hired advisers and upped the admin and military tech and managed to take the Exploration idea. I got my first colonist and my first colony is building up. I also built up the army up to my force limit.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session:
Province Count: +1 colony in the making
Vassals or PU: None
At War With: None

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom