• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

It seems like everyone so far is fine with 9 to 11 PM. I'd recommend playing on Monday and Thursday (Kabouter has problems with Friday and Saturday and fanboi with weekends), unless we want to extend it to three days which is probably a stretch. However, those days can change if someone has a problem with it.

I'd be okay with this.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It seems like everyone so far is fine with 9 to 11 PM. I'd recommend playing on Monday and Thursday (Kabouter has problems with Friday and Saturday and fanboi with weekends), unless we want to extend it to three days which is probably a stretch. However, those days can change if someone has a problem with it.

It's ok for me.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

This sounds pretty good to me. Think I would prefer tuesdays to mondays though (I have a seminar early tuesday that I might want to prepare a monday evening once in a while), but in general, this should work out good.

Morfeo

Btw, are we playing with the expansion? If so, do I need to buy it?

Also, if we are playing with it, it would be nice if people could do a quick recap of the changes additions.

Kabouter

Don't really care for random new world, but I won't contest it if that's what others want. As for needing to buy it, as far as I know, the game depends on the host for what DLC is active. So if the host has CoP, the game has CoP features.

Morfeo

I guess I might as well get the expansion anyways, but was waiting for a sale on gamersgate or some other store than steam. Not a problem if only the host need to have it though.

I think I would prefer a random new world, simply because I have never played with one.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I would prefer playing without a random new world, in part because I don't care for how it looks, but I wouldn't object if everyone else felt differently.

Anyway, who joined last time but hasn't yet said anything about participating in another game? I can think of Manik, Mleugie, Rug Monkey, Wink, and FACE. Once I know who's joining, I can probably organize things from there.

Kabouter

I would prefer playing without a random new world, in part because I don't care for how it looks, but I wouldn't object if everyone else felt differently.

Anyway, who joined last time but hasn't yet said anything about participating in another game? I can think of Manik, Mleugie, Rug Monkey, Wink, and FACE. Once I know who's joining, I can probably organize things from there.

Toma?

Mgoblue201

Manik is the only one who got back to me so far; it sounded like he was interested. So the best time for everyone seems to be Tuesday and Thursday starting around 9 PM CET, although that could change to 8 PM if it helps to accommodate more people. If you're interested, then I'd suggest sending me a private message with a list of your top five countries. The order will be chosen at random; first person will get their top nation, etc. I don't have a problem if someone chooses a major nation. Better a human France than an AI one. But I would suggest creating a diverse list; don't just list all the most powerful nations. And if there are two nations with obvious competing interests - for example, England vs. Scotland - I might disregard one of them, but I think that would be rare. A human France would not necessarily mean excluding a human Burgundy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have a hard time choosing. I don't want to be too far from Europe but I don't want to be IN Europe either. I'd pick natives but it'd be a few hundred hours before I see anyone.

Kabouter

I have a hard time choosing. I don't want to be too far from Europe but I don't want to be IN Europe either. I'd pick natives but it'd be a few hundred hours before I see anyone.

You could pick natives under the condition that someone else picks a native nation as well, and go for a different nation if not. As far as near Europe, picking any Muslim tech group nation will get you line of sight to most of Europe. So plenty of nations to choose from.

Mgoblue201

Forgot about my own initiative... to much work.

So where are we... time set?
Right now it's set for 9 to 11 PM CET every Tuesday and Thursday, unless everyone is more comfortable starting at 8. If you're interested, send me a private message with a list of the top five nations you'd like to play.

Haly

You could pick natives under the condition that someone else picks a native nation as well, and go for a different nation if not. As far as near Europe, picking any Muslim tech group nation will get you line of sight to most of Europe. So plenty of nations to choose from.

I made my bed, now I am prepared to lie in it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I chose Apache as my second option, but I could go with it being the first and join Haly, but if we play with the Conquest of Paradise DLC and random new world. That way is more fun.

Mgoblue201

I'm still waiting to hear back from one or two players, but right now it looks like this:

KingSnake - Portugal
Haly - Venice
ZZMitch - Denmark
Kabouter - Gelre
Morfeo - Muscovy
fanboi - France
Mgoblue201 - The Mamluks

I'm posting this early in case players want to change their nations based upon what others are doing.

Kabouter

Hmmm, I think I might reconsider, given the size differential between me and the others, and the proximity to both France and Denmark :p. Let me think on it a bit.

Edit: Did we decide on random new world or not? If not, I might go for a colonial nation or a native nation, but I wouldn't think that too much fun with RNW. It's not a favourite of mine, and I'd rather not spend much time looking at that part of the game if it's enabled.

Edit 2: Ugh, just did a few game starts with RNW enabled. It's just so hideous, ugh, awful. And the native nations still all blob, so a bunch of the new native mechanics are rendered essentially non-functional. Horrible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, the fanboi-Morfeo coallition to take over the world and then fight to death among them.

edit: with both France and Muscowy being human players, I would rather go with the Apaches. :)

Haly

I'm okay with Venice, although I'll probably have to change my playstyle to account for a human France.

Mgoblue201

I don't think fanboi's going to be so aggressive that everyone has to fear annexation. If you scrape and beg enough before the magnificence of the French crown, I'm sure he'll even consider allying with you.

Also, I'd prefer that people stay in Europe, because there are too few European players as it is. All of central Europe is basically AI, for instance.

Kabouter

I don't think fanboi's going to be so aggressive that everyone has to fear annexation. If you scrape and beg enough before the magnificence of the French crown, I'm sure he'll even consider allying with you.

Also, I'd prefer that people stay in Europe, because there are too few European players as it is. All of central Europe is basically AI, for instance.

I'm fine with staying in Europe I suppose, though I'm unsure as what nation, because Gelre is one province, and France really isn't, but I'd like us to not use RNW. It's horrible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm fine with staying in Europe I suppose, though I'm unsure as what nation, because Gelre is one province, and France really isn't, but I'd like us to not use RNW. It's horrible.

If no-one is going to play with natives, there's no point in using RNW. But I played several Ironman games with natives and I actually like it. Yeah, the AI doesn't really make good use of it, but it's a much better game as a player.

Mgoblue201

I'd prefer playing with the random new world disabled. It's not a very good mechanic: too much coastline, too many large, misshapen provinces, sometimes you get too much territory up in the arctic, etc. The colonial game wasn't really designed with it in mind either. But I could always put it up for a vote if others disagree.

ZZMitch

Id also like to stay away from RNW... it is just so ugly.

Also Haly if you decide to switch from Venice let me know cuz I would totally play that heh! I had it as my first choice before Denmark. I am okay playing either tho! :p

Morfeo

Oh, the fanboi-Morfeo coallition to take over the world and then fight to death among them.

edit: with both France and Muscowy being human players, I would rather go with the Apaches. :)

Hey, you know there is nothing to fear from the peaceful muscovite!

I've decided to go suicidal and go Gelre anyway. If I get killed super early on Wallachia-style, I can always switch :p.

Lol, awesome spirit!

Edit: But seriously, I would also prefer if people picked more european, big nations like I did. Austria, Ottos, Castille, England, Poland, Sweden are all powerful and good nations unpicked that would be fun to see having human players in my opinion.

Kabouter

Lol, awesome spirit!

Edit: But seriously, I would also prefer if people picked more european, big nations like I did. Austria, Ottos, Castille, England, Poland, Sweden are all powerful and good nations unpicked that would be fun to see having human players in my opinion.

well obviously some of those are fine, but Ottos are a direct competitor of Mamluks and Sweden starts in a union under player-controlled Denmark, so both of those are poor choices. You don't want players fighting from day one really. A player controlled Castile would probably be best off taking out player-controlled Portugal as soon as possible as well to get a monopoly on the colonial game. So yeah, not the best idea either.

And well, I want to form the Netherlands, which was sort of a prominent nation during EU4's timespan!

RIP in peace on Tuesday, Kabouter.

Don't tell me I'm going to deal with Venetian troops in Gelre.

Haly

There's no way I'm going to bother moving up through the HRE. I've been grinding Venice games trying to come up with a consistent opening build and I have it and it involves completely ignoring the HRE.

I think fanboi isn't going to be as ambivalent about you though.

Morfeo

well obviously some of those are fine, but Ottos are a direct competitor of Mamluks and Sweden starts in a union under player-controlled Denmark, so both of those are poor choices. You don't want players fighting from day one really. A player controlled Castile would probably be best off taking out player-controlled Portugal as soon as possible as well to get a monopoly on the colonial game. So yeah, not the best idea either.

And well, I want to form the Netherlands, which was sort of a prominent nation during EU4's timespan!

All good points for sure, but these situations would also have the possibilities to create really interesting situations. Castille might be better off taking out Portugal, but what if Portugal could get an alliance with player controlled France and England? Anyways, it will be interesting to see. Anyways, I am tempted to swtich to a minor as well, considering how many other people are playing minors. Might consider something like Brandenburg which looks fun to play.

Haly

Human-AI Alliance vs Human doesn't really make sense. There is literally nothing stopping the players from agreeing to go to war but never touch each other. All that happens is the AI is fooled into thinking it has a greater military power than it really does.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Human-AI Alliance vs Human doesn't really make sense. There is literally nothing stopping the players from agreeing to go to war but never touch each other. All that happens is the AI is fooled into thinking it has a greater military power than it really does.

Tell that to the poor Austria that was able to survive last game with Inca like tech, just because it had alliances with AI France and Muscowy. :))

Kabouter

All good points for sure, but these situations would also have the possibilities to create really interesting situations. Castille might be better off taking out Portugal, but what if Portugal could get an alliance with player controlled France and England? Anyways, it will be interesting to see. Anyways, I am tempted to swtich to a minor as well, considering how many other people are playing minors. Might consider something like Brandenburg which looks fun to play.

I think Muscovy will be a good choice, competition for when Denmark integrates Sweden and Norway. Stick with your choice man.

Mgoblue201

That's the spirit! :)

Edit: so, when do we start?
It depends. Do we want to wait until after the release of the next patch and give everyone a chance to play around with it first? Then Thursday might be a better start.

There are still two people I'm waiting to hear back from, but at this point I'm just going to assume that they're not joining.

ZZMitch

I think Muscovy will be a good choice, competition for when Denmark integrates Sweden and Norway. Stick with your choice man.

Oh shit I forgot I start leading PUs with Sweden and Norway. I will be a bit more powerful then I thought! That works I suppose. I am going in blind (never played a MP game, or ever played Denmark before), so don't expect me to actually be too successful :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It depends. Do we want to wait until after the release of the next patch and give everyone a chance to play around with it first? Then Thursday might be a better start.

There are still two people I'm waiting to hear back from, but at this point I'm just going to assume that they're not joining.

What will the new patch do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom