• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Planning a sneak attack on the peaceful parts of Italy at the start of next session, but shh, don't let him know.

Aha! I see you want a part of the peace as well? :)

About times, I do not really want to expand our current sessions as I already have some trouble finding time for them unfortunately. Maybe in a few weeks when I have a bit more free time on my hands, but right now it wont work im sorry :(

Fitz

World Map - 1682:
Lq7UI5F.png
Save Game: http://dropcanvas.com/yy2cu

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
My concern with starting any colonial wars is that the effort to acquire and integrate the territories (wrong culture, wrong religion, coring costs, plus the war itself) outweighs the actual benefits I can derive from them. It's essentially a pure land grab...which I'm certainly not opposed to. From what I see, France has no soldiers in the Americas, and an attack is tempting.

Kabouter

My concern with starting any colonial wars is that the effort to acquire and integrate the territories (wrong culture, wrong religion, coring costs, plus the war itself) outweighs the actual benefits I can derive from them. It's essentially a pure land grab...which I'm certainly not opposed to. From what I see, France has no soldiers in the Americas, and an attack is tempting.

This is why colonial nations rule.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's a real problem with the game mechanics. In real life, vast tracts of colonial territory changed hands often and frequently, which just isn't possible in the game.

Mgoblue201

Johan mentioned that colonial wars would be greatly improved in Conquest of Paradise. More specifically, someone on the Paradox forums criticized the stultifying pace and large overextension/administrative costs of colonial warfare, to which Johan responded that the design being implemented in the expansion should make people happy.

Morfeo

The AI is not so good in negociating peace deals. But that's a good thing for the peaceful savoyan.

Well I know everything about peace, including peace deals, as the peaceful savoyan I am.

Sad to see another player drop today, but I guess Novgorod had no way back now. Cazzy hasnt been here for the last three sessions, so I guess he is out as well, meaning Europe is getting less crowdy finally - maybe we finally can get that peace in our time that we all have been craving?

Fitz

Farewell Crab! In another universe we finished that siege in time and managed to cut Muscovy's capital off from their lands, starving them of income and manpower from their Asian territories. A Novgorodian Russia lives on in our hearts!

Fitz

Sorry I missed the game tonight guys. :( A friend accidentally hit me in the mouth with a recorder (flute), so I had to spend the evening sitting in the hospital waiting to get my lip glued back together.

Morfeo

Hope you are fine Fitz!

Anyways, I have been crazy tired lately thanks to a ton of exams, and fell asleep early at sunday, which is why I didnt show up. I dont know what state my poor Sardinia-Piemonte is in, but considering how the AI usually wrecks havoc in my land, im sure its not a pretty state. Anyways, I have decided that now is a decent time for me to quit. I promised you guys that I would be able to have longer sessions from the 13th, but that doesnt seem to happend, and I have lots of stuff to do during the next few weeks (christmas while being a father works that way). I am also a bit jaded about our game (as I have been for a long time), and I am crazy tired of the lag I get during heavy wars.

However, this have been an awesome gaming experience, and I am so ready to join for a new peaceful round of mp action when this game is finished. Wish everybody (even swahili-level teched Austria) the best for the end game, and hope to see you all next game. And with that the peace finally leaves our savoyan posession - have fun with it!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ah, I just saw this. Hope you're fine Fitz!

As for the peaceful Savoyan, you have no excuse. :p And maybe I should be pick Swahili for the next game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
And with that, the MP session is done. We decided to quit now that Fitz and Morf are gone and its basically SP for everyone. Unfortunately, I didnt manage to declare war on Byzantium at least once, but oh well ;p

Fun sessions guys! Thanks for participating! Hopefully, we meet again another time :)

Morfeo

Sorry to read that, from what I gather from Fitz post, he was just away sunday, so should possibly be here for today?

Anyways, like I said, this was really fun, and definitely hope we can do a new game eventually!

Fitz

I posted about it in the chat a short while ago. Honestly I just can't be bothered any more, I didn't think this match would go on for so long. :p Will definitely be up for another game after the DLC is out though, as long as we can work out a more favourable timetable.

Kabouter

I posted about it in the chat a short while ago. Honestly I just can't be bothered any more, I didn't think this match would go on for so long. :p Will definitely be up for another game after the DLC is out though, as long as we can work out a more favourable timetable.

This for me as well.

Mgoblue201

The major downside of playing an Asian power is that, even with all the wealth and military prowess of a large colonial empire, there's no meaningful way to interact with the European nations except through colonial wars, which weren't all that difficult anyway. I enjoy playing as Japan quite a lot (in fact, it's one of my favorite non-European nations), but next time I would prefer to start in or somewhere close to Europe.

Paradox also posted a livestream of their multiplayer session today; it's notable for how completely ruthless and unforgiving they are to each other.

Mgoblue201

World Map as of July 2nd, 1733:
Various statistics from the end of the game:

Score
  1. France 5938
  2. Portugal 5412
  3. Byzantium 4149
  4. Muscovy 3764
  5. Venice 3077
  6. Great Britain 2970
  7. Sardinia-Piedmont 2822
  8. Vijayanagar 2584
  9. Denmark 1791
  10. Japan 1240

Score per Month
  1. Portugal 2.33
  2. Byzantium 2.24
  3. Japan 1.58
  4. France 1.49
  5. Vijayanagar 1.41
  6. Muscovy 1.08
  7. Great Britain 0.99
  8. Sardinia-Piedmont 0.83
  9. Netherlands 0.58
  10. Denmark 0.58

Income
  1. Portugal 444.61
  2. Japan 247.77
  3. Vijayanagar 218.12
  4. Byzantium 166.53
  5. France 163.10
  6. Sardinia-Piedmont 134.48
  7. Muscovy 134.45
  8. Netherlands 95.38
  9. Venice 86.48
  10. Austria 85.15

Technology
  1. Byzantium 78
  2. France 77
  3. Japan 77
  4. Great Britain 77
  5. Netherlands 76
  6. Scotland 75
  7. Sweden 75
  8. Portugal 75
  9. Denmark 74
  10. Ethiopia 73

Maximum Manpower
  1. Muscovy 283,910
  2. Byzantium 187,400
  3. Portugal 160,840
  4. France 160,700
  5. Japan 150,900
  6. Sardinia-Piedmont 120,810
  7. Vijayanagar 112,050
  8. Morocco 62,560
  9. Shun 59,390
  10. Austria 58,310

Armies (Force Limit)
  1. Portugal 224,000 (175)
  2. Vijayanagar 209,396 (223)
  3. Muscovy 190,000 (178)
  4. France 155,000 (101)
  5. Byzantium 154,320 (155)
  6. Sardinia-Piedmont 115,983 (102)
  7. Japan 95,000 (146)
  8. Austria 75,000 (90)
  9. Denmark 68,000 (39)
  10. Poland 67,000 (48)

Navies (Force Limit)
  1. Portugal 208 (215)
  2. Byzantium 176 (168)
  3. Netherlands 112 (128)
  4. France 111 (111)
  5. Great Britain 96 (122)
  6. Denmark 90 (91)
  7. Japan 85 (125)
  8. Vijayanagar 81 (109)
  9. Muscovy 52 (52)
  10. Sardinia-Piedmont 51 (52)

Morfeo

So what is considered better times to play for people? I think it worked kinda fine with an hour three times a week, but maybe try to start it a bit earlierin the evening?

Kabouter

So what is considered better times to play for people? I think it worked kinda fine with an hour three times a week, but maybe try to start it a bit earlierin the evening?

I'd prefer longer sessions, fewer times a week. Most EU4 MP games seem to be that way too. You waste less time trying to get everything and everyone together, and you're far less likely to end up with sessions where nothing much happens for you.

Also, man, Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont, Byzantium, Vijayanagar and especially Japan did incredibly well (I'm assuming Shun is a Japanese vassal here), far better than I could have managed. I'm so screwed in a future game hahah.

Morfeo

I'd prefer longer sessions, fewer times a week. Most EU4 MP games seem to be that way too. You waste less time trying to get everything and everyone together, and you're far less likely to end up with sessions where nothing much happens for you.

Also, man, Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont, Byzantium, Vijayanagar and especially Japan did incredibly well (I'm assuming Shun is a Japanese vassal here), far better than I could have managed. I'm so screwed in a future game hahah.

I didnt have much progress the last few sessions, but I am also annexing the netherlands which is in a PU with me, making me a bit bigger than on the map.

Edit: About longer sessions, but fewer times a week, the thing I dont like with this option is that it costs you much more if you for some reason cant show up, and as Im sure everybody participating can attest to, just one round with AI management, can be enough to do some incredible damage to your country (just realized now that my AI gave away some provs at sunday lol).

Kabouter

I didnt have much progress the last few sessions, but I am also annexing the netherlands which is in a PU with me, making me a bit bigger than on the map.

Edit: About longer sessions, but fewer times a week, the thing I dont like with this option is that it costs you much more if you for some reason cant show up, and as Im sure everybody participating can attest to, just one round with AI management, can be enough to do some incredible damage to your country (just realized now that my AI gave away some provs at sunday lol).

Find someone to stand in if you can't make it one time? That's what most people seem to do on the Paradox forums.

fanboi

Banned
Guys I believe it is time to start a new MP game.

Who is in and what times do you want to play? Not sure how we did it before, some Google docs right to see which time suited the most people.

Also, how do you guys want to play? Longer session but fewer? Or just longer?

I vote to play during the weeks, will be hard for me to play on weekends now since I am moving for work during the weeks and get home during weekends.

Kabouter

Longer but fewer sessions for sure for me, otherwise so much of the time you spend on the game is setup, rather than just playing. As far as time, basically any day is fine for me other than friday and saturday, and in terms of time anywhere between 19:00-23:00 CET is good.

I'm out. Right now I need to focus on other things in life so I'm limiting myself to playing shorter games that I can complete in a week or two.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm in. I go with longer but fewer sessions too. Between 19:00 and 00:00 CET every day except for the weekend is fine for me.

Mgoblue201

I'm free from 19:00 CET onward if that ends up being the start time, and I would prefer longer but fewer sessions. Who's in charge of setting this up?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm willing to join. I'm available at most times although I'm USE and not EU so I don't know how bad the lag will be.

Kabouter

I'm willing to join. I'm available at most times although I'm USE and not EU so I don't know how bad the lag will be.

Mgoblue is American as well I believe, and lag was fine there, no major issues. I think the main thing is if you have a good, relatively speedy and stable connection.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I got that 60/30 which is pretty good for a backassward country (in terms of internet infrastructure).

I was more afraid that I'd lag the rest of the room because in my experience with P2P games, if one guy lags everyone feels it.

Morfeo

I am definitely in!

As for times, I was actually pretty happy with the times as they were. I have a son that is usually going to sleep around 7CET, but he often fails to sleep before 8 or sometimes even 9CET, so if we really want longer sessions, I would prefer us to have from 9 till 11 or maybe 12 (it was a bit late imo). Sunday-Thursday is fine with me, but three times a week is probably maximum.

Also, we should get in touch with all those who participated before, and also write in the general EU4 thread and general Bithynia/Paradox thread if we want more players.

Fitz

I'd really like to join as I have a lot of free time atm, however my schedule is a little erratic so I won't be able to commit to any times. May have to drop in at some point and try out the observer mode though.

Mgoblue201

So far the following people have expressed interest in starting another game:

Morfeo
fanboi
Haly
Kabouter
Colkate
KingSnake

Anyone else? I can try to contact everyone who participated last time to gauge their interest.

Morfeo

I have at least one real-life friend that is not on gaf that might want to join as well, but I think we should sort out the times before I ask him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I won't have the time these days and to be honest I've kinda soured on EU4 anyway, but hope y'all have fun.

Mgoblue201

I have at least one real-life friend that is not on gaf that might want to join as well, but I think we should sort out the times before I ask him.
It seems like everyone so far is fine with 9 to 11 PM. I'd recommend playing on Monday and Thursday (Kabouter has problems with Friday and Saturday and fanboi with weekends), unless we want to extend it to three days which is probably a stretch. However, those days can change if someone has a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom