• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ca you post the save-file so we non-mods can check as well?

When its not crashing, you can save it yourself at the end of the game.

But here is to hoping Arch shares the January 1st file with you :p

Fitz

Don't know what happened with my connection today, I've usually got no problems, but after the second (?) time the server was closed I just wasn't able to reconnect at all, good thing hot-joining eventually worked. Also, my Steam name is Fitz, if anyone wasn't aware, I saw people talking about non-matching GAF names and wasn't sure if I'd actually pointed it out.

AAR - 10/9/13 - Kingdom of Naples
Despite a previously successful war of independence against Aragon, Neapolitan lands in Sicily had yet to be fully recovered. Thanks to the recent expansion of the fleet, and the Aragonese loses in their earlier wars, we were able to assert our clear naval dominance over the Western Mediterranean, allowing us easy access to our lands in Sicily. As reparations for the damage done to our National Glory, we also claimed the lands of Malta and a lump some of gold which never made it to the treasury, but went straight into the hands of debt collectors.
Whilst our freedom and southern lands had been recovered, vast bandit uprisings in Rome had left the countryside barren, our national treasury was slowly draining and we were in need of a cash stimulus. To this end, the rich province of Romagna was taken from the undeserving Papal "States" and added to our Kingdom, as well as another lump sum of gold to pay the Condottieri for another summer.
The weak nations of Italy have mostly been annexed or claimed as vassals now, leaving a delicate balance of power between the three great Italian nations of Savoy, Venice, and Naples.

Province Count:
Naples + Sicily, Malta, Roma, Romagna, Urbino. (All non HRE Italy minus Sardinia)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Man, as soon as we start again, I'll need to throw around Warnings like candy so that not a single nation in my near vicinity becomes too strong during my 10 year regency council. How handy that these warnings dont use diplo relations and run for 10 years.

Toma

Do warnings use up diplo relations? I don't think I've used any in EU4 yet.

I just started up the MP round in SP and warned 7 countries for 10 years. Not a single fuck was given by my diplo relations.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm now stuck in a ten year regency, so there's literally nothing for me to do next session besides sit at the computer and read a book - anything to divert my attention.

Toma

I'm now stuck in a ten year regency, so there's literally nothing for me to do next session besides sit at the computer and read a book - anything to divert my attention.
High five, and probably more like the next 2 sessions.

Toma

I usually listen to podcasts, lectures or audiobooks while playing these games anyway.
We are playing MP at speed 2 and I am in constant stress usually because of not pausing the game for military management.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
High five, and probably more like the next 2 sessions.
Regencies are terrible in general, but it's particularly annoying for a Japanese daimyo, which can only unify Japan through war. I'm in a strange position where I can't really interact with any outside nations diplomatically, but there aren't any domestic issues to focus on either. All I can do is fabricate claims on all my neighboring provinces and launch a full scale attack once my regency ends.
I usually listen to podcasts, lectures or audiobooks while playing these games anyway.
Normally I have difficulty paying attention to two things at once (though that never stopped me from trying in the past), but I might save an hour long podcast just for this occasion.

Mleugie

Neo Member
AAR - Morocco

After a long war with Algeria and Fez the Sultanate of Morocco succumbs to internal struggles as the Sultan dies leaving his underage son in command and a Pretender tries to take the throne. After ceding casablanca to Fez and paying reparations to Algeria the defeated Moroccan army sets its sights on the pretender. Then the heir died.....

No King and no heir so I let the pretender take the throne. Around this time I got my first idea and went for exploration and started colonizing Africa.

Province Count: Original -4 and +1 colony
Vassals and PU: none
At War with: none

Castile pls help me with Algeria

fanboi

Banned
Stuff I'm noticing looking around in the save:
Castille - Has truce with a bunch of nations including France, but no territorial changes that I can see. No ideas picked yet.
Morocco - Took exploration ideas and grabbed the first idea in it and has started colonizing south via Tuat
Savoy - No territorial changes I think, currently improving relations with vassal Milan for annexation. Grabbed the first two defensive ideas.
Burgundy - Annexed Utrecht, annexed Hainaut. Has weirdest tech progression (3-3-6), no idea picked as a result.
Scotland - No territorial changes as far as I can tell, took quality idea group and grabbed first idea in it.
Sweden - Vassalized Brabant, and is improving relations with them to annex presumably. Picked aristocratic ideas. Currently at war with Brunswick and Brandenburg (as a junior partner)
Novgorod - Took four provinces from Livonian order, currently at war with Muscovy. Grabbed defensive ideas.
Wallachia - Nothing seems to have changed.
Venice - Grabbed a Hungarian province, annexing vassal Corfu. Grabbed trade ideas.
Poland - Annexed vassal Mazovia, has truce with Muscovy but can't see territorial changes. Grabbed religious ideas (well, AI did I think)
Naples - Seems to have moved north in Italy a bit more, has picked up naval ideas.
Hedjaz - Made Najd vassal and is winning a war against Oman. Picked economic ideas. Is also annexing vassal Yemen.
Vijayanagar - Honestly not sure, but I'm sure Toma has grabbed a few more provinces. Currently stuck with a regency council however.
Hosokawa - Grabbed yet another province and is clearly the strongest power in Japan now.

Think that's everybody right?

Regarding my tech path... well, I didn't really have a choice which I will explain in my AAR just. And I need to keep up with army tech since France is crazy regarding that.

fanboi

Banned
AAR - 1458-1465 - Burgundy

Description of the actions during the session:

After the previous fiasco where I was attacked by both France and Austri plus 10+ minors, my country felt defeated, unhappy.

But during all this, and ingenious plan took form, lets retake them during the truce.

So a swift declaration during truce (-5 stability hit) against Utrecht, where Pommeria joined the war. War was over swiftly and they was annexed by me.

Now that my people tasted blood and victory they craved for more... Utrecht was good rich lands, but wasn't part of the previous attackers who took almost all from us. They craved Hainaut.

Same procedure, attack, seize, control. The main difference here was that I didn't count on opportunist attack that took place from France, claiming Caux, who also brought with them Armagnac, Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Foix, Oreleans, Provence, Austria, Lorraine, Munster, Trier and Liege, with other words, the same coalition that took so much from us earlier. They quickly took Caux while I retreated to my northern provinces.

Now, the main difference was that I had one ally that supported my cause, Castile. It didn't look good, but, lets say luck, made that an joined force of 27' units from the coalition departed from the main bulk, where I sought the fight. The first major battle took place, where my 38' strong army charged towards the intruders. Victory was ours, enemy army scattered and retreated. We pursued. The final battle was a total and utter annihilation of the 27' strong forces, the war had turned in our favor.

I quickly moved in and retook Caux. Then moved on to Île-de-France, capital of France. The siege lasted for 200 days until they succumbed to starvation and disease.

Peace was made with the coalition, and Burgundy had regained some of the prior glory and fame.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session: Allied with Aragorn and Brittany. Truce with Armagnac, Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Foix, France, Oreleans, Provence, Austria, Lorraine, Munster, Trier and Liege. Royal Marrige with England, Brittany, Bavaria, Aragon, Castiel and Savoy.
Province Count: Annexed Utrecht and Hainaut
Vassals:
At War With: None

A.A.R. Scotland

Not much happened for me. Mostly bad luck. Rebels popped up in Northumbria when it was 35% cored. Slightly too big for my standing army so I recruited 3k more. They popped and I moved them all adjacent, grouped them, and moved in to engage. The rebels must've got a stupendously good roll, as they went from -15% to success while I was moving, wiping out the completed coring, all the time to resiege, 10 years unrest, and, probably because it's no longer a war goal, re-coring costs 115 diplo instead of 25 and takes 40 months instead of 16 ...

Also my moronic nobles caused caused 2 stability drops through random acts of greed, then a third because they were 'worried' about the unrest they'd caused ... no wonder Edward Longshanks had them all executed.

So basically stagnation and consolidation ... was about to attack Norway at the end of the session when 2 things happened ... the mission 'take the Orkneys' morphed into 'take lancashire' and England got cassus belli on us, truce is up v.soon and they will definitely attack if i'm warring Norway and probably will anyway, they're like that ...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Can we update the players list? I can't always remember who is who with the whole new players and gaf names not always matching steam names.

Manik

AAR - 10/9/13 - Poland

What should have been a nice, quiet session of diplo-annexing and teching turned into something quite frantic by the end of the hour.

After missing last session I initially caught up on everything that the AI had decided - that being to start annexing Mazovia and also to grab the 'religious ideas' idea - I settled down with the plan being just to keep things ticking over nicely. I continued to improve relations with the recently vassalized Teutonic Order (got plans for them in the future).

Everything remained nice and stable for a few years - the only problems coming from a 19 stack of Lithuanian rebels, which Lithuania themselves seemed reluctant to put down, despite their massive advantage in numbers.

That was as exciting as the first half got, so I was a little caught off guard when Muscowy decided to jump on an already weakened Novgorod, who had just come out of a war with the Livonian Order. Novgorod (Crab) sent out a call for help, one that with no CB and no way to fabricate a claim on Muscowy I had to take a -2 stability hit to accept (putting me back to a 0). I figured it would be worth it in the long term, and would put Muscowy in their place for now.

I sent 2 stacks of 12 troops over to begin seiging in Muscowy, but rebels in Poland saw this as the perfect opportunity to start an uprising, meaning I had to withdraw my troops to put them down, leaving the frontline of the war to Lithuania and the Teutonic Order, who made short work of Muscowy's defenses.

At a war score of +36% I sued for peace, getting Muscowy to release Pskov as their vassal (as a favour to Novgorod) and forcing them to pay me huge reparations.

Soon after the peace treaty was signed, I finished annexing Mazovia and moved my capital to Warszawa, granting me +3 stability, amongst other benefits. A perfect antidote to the -2 stability cost of starting the war.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session: Truce with Muscowy. Granting Military Access to Wallachia.
Province Count: Original +3 (as a result of annexing Mazovia)
Vassals / PU : Personal Union with Lithuania. Moldovia and Teutonic Order as Vassals.
At War With: None

if8mVO08XNnvc.png

Map with labels and borders.

Toma

Yeah it would be nice to have an updated map and player list that includes Steam names.

I dont want to include Steam names in the OP as some people are not fine with having them out in the open, but the new map by archnemesis should also help a bit :)

AAR - 1458-1465 - Hedjaz

I vassalized Najd at the beginning of the session, and my plan was to sit quiet, pay my debts and wait for the annexation of my other vassal, Yemen. But Haasa unexpectedly broke their alliance with, and formed a coalition against Oman, the other big player on the peninsula. I had a cb, so i jumped right on it and declared. Oman's fleet blockaded my ports and my barques were no match for it, and the troops on land were evenly matched, so I had to go back in the red to hire some mercs. The war is won, but my plans of fiscal consolidation were sidestepped (15+loans again, and an inflation rate that's starting to get worrying). It's time for a Pax Arabica.

Diplomatic state at the end of the session: Allied with the Ottomans, Royal Marriages with the Ottomans, Yemen and Najd
Province Count: Hedjaz + 1
Vassals or PU: Yemen, Najd are vassals
At War with: Oman

At the current pace the game will go on for 20 weeks. I've stopped playing the game outside of our MP sessions so I won't get bored with it.

Toma

I would be available for tonight.

I can guarantee you that we wont be able to get all 15 players together, and it would rather unfair excluding someone who made time in his schedule for the others days to make it at all, dont you guys think?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No question about that would be unfair, I just said I would be available in the highly improbable situation that we will be playing tonight. I don't want to play without others.

Toma

No question about that would be unfair, I just said I would be available in the highly improbable situation that we will be playing tonight. I don't want to play without others.

You could play alone ;) I am still trying to get somewhere in my France save. Any SP goal you are trying to achieve?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You could play alone ;) I am still trying to get somewhere in my France save. Any SP goal you are trying to achieve?

I am playing alone anyhow. I have an Ironman game with Wallachia. By the end of 1547 I managed to completely conquer Hungary, but then Poland got way too big and I lost a lot of provinces to them. I have now 5 provinces scattered around and trying to get out of this situation. Some debts, maximum war exhaustion because I have a war with Venice that is never ending (they attacked one province on basis of my heresy but they don't accept or send any peace proposal and they are not attacking further). The good thing is that the Ottomans are friendly. The bad thing is that there is no one around to handle the Polish.

Toma

I am playing alone anyhow. I have an Ironman game with Wallachia. By the end of 1547 I managed to completely conquered Hungary, but then Poland got way to big and I lost a lot of provinces to them. I have now 5 provinces scattered around and trying to get out of this situation. Some debts, maximum war exhaustion because I have a war with Venice that is never ending (they attacked one province on basis of my heresy but they don't accept or send any peace proposal and they are not attacking further). The good thing is that the Ottomans are friendly. The bad thing is that there is no one around to handle the Polish.

Woah, that sounds horrible. Surprised you didnt just restart.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wanted to restart but then I thought I should fight until still I have more than 2 provinces (as I started). Let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom