• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Swedish rail defeating armies - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Only 1815? Weak.

Also mkenyon as a hint I wouldn't antagonize the Hansa. The full force of Hansa, Bavaria, and Brandenburg will be needed to hold back the force that is mgoblue. Germans stick together!
If the Hansa is my Vassal, isn't that sticking together?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I guess I can look forward to a Burgundinian/Branderburgian alliance huh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Exploiting rebels is what Russia does best.

If you can get a Buddhist Russia, I swear here and now I will accept a vassalization offer.

I reserve the right to launch an independence war.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I declare sanctions against Muscovy and Aragon.

All in favor, say "Aye".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bavaria, you have an ally. The Hansa must fall.

mkenyon

Banned
Bavaria, you have an ally. The Hansa must fall.
Next round of Spaten on me.

qVii9Qy.png

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
No no, you have a Ph.D. in "playa". Literally.

Well I am taking a Ph.D. so you might be onto something... :)

Edit: Reading all these awesome puns almost make me regret my choice of nation - wont be as easy to make puns when you know nothing of the language :( Guess I just need to keep talking about Peace.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well I am taking a Ph.D. so you might be onto something... :)

Edit: Reading all these awesome puns almost make me regret my choice of nation - wont be as easy to make puns when you know nothing of the language :( Guess I just need to keep talking about Peace.

Dude, your nation is basically called Vajayjay. How can you not have puns?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh boy, nobody told me they'd gone and changed Westernisation before I went and picked Muscovy! It seems to be utterly pointless now.

I played a lot of Byzantium games lately and Westernization now is rather a fancy thing to have than a really useful one. If you have enough income and advisors, you can keep up pretty well with the Western nations and all those years lost due to westernization are not really compensated that fast. Especially since you still get Eastern troops now.

Edit: And why can't Scotland pick England as rival from the start? Why is Denmark (which is rather an useful ally against England) the only choice for rivals? Seems quite stupid (and against the historical reality).

mkenyon

Banned
Edit: And why can't Scotland pick England as rival from the start? Why is Denmark (which is rather an useful ally against England) the only choice for rivals? Seems quite stupid (and against the historical reality).
England is pretty much out of their league in terms of power level.

Denmark's easiest way towards an eventual Danelaw achievement is through Scotland.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
England is pretty much out of their league in terms of power level.

Denmark's easiest way towards an eventual Danelaw achievement is through Scotland.

England might be out of their league in terms of power, but not being rivals doesn't make them less dangerous and anyhow they have -200 as opinion from the start. And Denmark is even easier to ally than France, which makes it kind of a contradiction.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How has westernization changed?

CloudWolf

I fully intend on allying every strong country in the neighbourhood and waltzing over the AI.
Only to be horribly murdered a few years later.

Also, you guys do remember that in my post I said that I can definitely not play next Sunday due to a birthday party for my dad and sister? So yeah, I'm not really familiar with Paradox multiplayer, but I guess that the first game is pretty important to not miss.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How has westernization changed?

Westernization is now +10 revolt risk instead of +5.

Countries with high monthly income will be slower through westernization. Maximum monthly power into westernization is reduced by 1 for each multiple of income by 40.

The neighbor must be ahead in technology (summed across all three tech types) by a base of 7 increased by the tech cost penalty for the technology group, rounded down. For example, Muslim tech nations must be 9 technologies behind (7 * 140% = 9.8) while Sub-Saharan nations must be 14 technologies behind (7 * 200%).

Westernization won't grant you western units anymore

Kabouter

Westernization is now +10 revolt risk instead of +5.

Countries with high monthly income will be slower through westernization. Maximum monthly power into westernization is reduced by 1 for each multiple of income by 40.

The neighbor must be ahead in technology (summed across all three tech types) by a base of 7 increased by the tech cost penalty for the technology group, rounded down. For example, Muslim tech nations must be 9 technologies behind (7 * 140% = 9.8) while Sub-Saharan nations must be 14 technologies behind (7 * 200%).

Westernization won't grant you western units anymore

Yeah, it's awesome for Euros, they *really* screwed non-Euros over. It really almost makes me want to change my mind and go colonial nation anyway.

The main thing about it that annoys me is that they make westernization realistically difficult, but still haven't introduced anything to stop European nations from projecting their full military strength anywhere in the world. As if France could have sent an army of 50,000 troops to India in the 1500s.

mkenyon

Banned
While being reinforced as if they were in Lorraine. Yeah, it's pretty silly.

Though, the game is not World Universalis. :p

Maybe go Japan? Go colonial/Asia conqueror without the Muslim hatred. If you're quick enough against Manchuria, then you can stop the Russian east blob.

Kabouter

While being reinforced as if they were in Lorraine. Yeah, it's pretty silly.

Though, the game is not World Universalis. :p

Maybe go Japan? Go colonial/Asia conqueror without the Muslim hatred. If you're quick enough against Manchuria, then you can stop the Russian east blob.

This argument has always been ridiculous and is clearly not in line with the developers releasing expansions like Divine Wind for EU3. And Japan seems far more dangerous than Brunei even, Japan is a guarantee of bordering Russia. Taking Manchuria wouldn't stop shit, Russia would still plow through no problem thanks to those wonderful westernization mechanics.

mkenyon

Banned
This argument has always been ridiculous and is clearly not in line with the developers releasing expansions like Divine Wind for EU3. And Japan seems far more dangerous than Brunei even, Japan is a guarantee of bordering Russia. Taking Manchuria wouldn't stop shit, Russia would still plow through no problem thanks to those wonderful westernization mechanics.
I meant it tongue-in-cheek, as I agree.

Japan gets the ability to form an alliance with the other Asian powers, whereas it's really difficult for Brunei. Though a Russian war is inevitable, you're in a better position to face it earlier, rather than later when the unit gap is that much more staggering.

By heading off early Siberian expansion, it also slows down the pace they're able to expand towards Japan. Especially given the rules of the MP session, and the length of peace treaties now, that'd be a lot of years to get through all of those territories with claimed provinces only.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, no game on this coming Sunday.

First session is 27th @ 21:30 CEST.

Huh? Why are we not doing this Sunday? So many players are Sundays only it seems cruel to start on a Wednesday as the initial ~20 years are the most important.

fanboi

Banned
Huh? Why are we not doing this Sunday? So many players are Sundays only it seems cruel to start on a Wednesday as the initial ~20 years are the most important.

Cloudy:

I fully intend on allying every strong country in the neighbourhood and waltzing over the AI.
Only to be horribly murdered a few years later.

Also, you guys do remember that in my post I said that I can definitely not play next Sunday due to a birthday party for my dad and sister? So yeah, I'm not really familiar with Paradox multiplayer, but I guess that the first game is pretty important to not miss.

Can't ;(

We could wait until the Sunday after that then.

Or does he mean the next Sunday after this?

Fitz

Though a Russian war is inevitable

How could you say such a thing? We at here at Glorious USSR Russia Inc only desire the redistribution of wealth from the bourgeoisie to all of our great peoples. Peace and Prosperity to all.

Kabouter

I meant it tongue-in-cheek, as I agree.

Japan gets the ability to form an alliance with the other Asian powers, whereas it's really difficult for Brunei. Though a Russian war is inevitable, you're in a better position to face it earlier, rather than later when the unit gap is that much more staggering.

By heading off early Siberian expansion, it also slows down the pace they're able to expand towards Japan. Especially given the rules of the MP session, and the length of peace treaties now, that'd be a lot of years to get through all of those territories with claimed provinces only.

I definitely disagree, Japan's ability to make alliance with other feeble Asian powers has no advantage in the fight against a player-controlled Russia, which would be directly bordered and would benefit far more from conquest in that situation than they would as Brunei. If Russia conquers stuff in Manchuria, Korea etc. they gain the full base tax of those provinces. If they conquer shit in Indonesia, they can get only some income from it, and won't even be able to send the trade back home to their own nodes, so not at all worth it.

I think what I'll do is play as Brunei at first, and when I flame out, which experience has taught me rarely takes very long, I'll just switch to a colonial nation.

CloudWolf

Can't ;(

We could wait until the Sunday after that then.

Or does he mean the next Sunday after this?
Would it be possible for me to start the game and exit immediately so you guys can start with the AI taking over Brandenburg's duties the first game? It's not ideal, but I'd hate for you guys to have to postpone the first game by a full week because I can't play this Sunday.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would it be possible for me to start the game and exit immediately so you guys can start with the AI taking over Brandenburg's duties the first game? It's not ideal, but I'd hate for you guys to have to postpone the first game by a full week because I can't play this Sunday.

I'd actually prefer starting next week wed or sun as well. Still on vacation and this sunday could be a close one.

mkenyon

Banned
I definitely disagree, Japan's ability to make alliance with other feeble Asian powers has no advantage in the fight against a player-controlled Russia, which would be directly bordered and would benefit far more from conquest in that situation than they would as Brunei. If Russia conquers stuff in Manchuria, Korea etc. they gain the full base tax of those provinces. If they conquer shit in Indonesia, they can get only some income from it, and won't even be able to send the trade back home to their own nodes, so not at all worth it.

I think what I'll do is play as Brunei at first, and when I flame out, which experience has taught me rarely takes very long, I'll just switch to a colonial nation.
I swear my plan had nothing to do with slowing down Russian aggression towards Poland/HRE while dealing with a thorny Japan. Nope. Not at all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I'd actually prefer starting next week wed or sun as well. Still on vacation and this sunday could be a close one.

Let's start next week.

Why not on Wednesday, 27th?

mkenyon

Banned
I wouldn't put my half-time needs ahead of the core group, but the argument would be that there are a number of people (especially here in the US) that would be unable to play on Wednesdays because that's pretty much the middle of the day. As a result, those Sunday only players would then miss out on the first session.

But again, I wouldn't bat an eye, considering I'm only playing half of the time anyway. Well, maybe just a flutter of an eye.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
^Ah, ok. Sunday 31st it is then. I'm just impatient, the game can't start sooner, but ideally all the players should be in the first session.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why not just set an absolute deadline and say we start it at the first opportunity next month, Wednesday 3rd? That gives people enough time to be able to plan around it, so nobody should (hopefully) have one-off reasons why they can't. Otherwise, I still feel like we should start this Sunday - we can't postpone it every time someone has one thing they can't do, or we'd never get sessions in. I think we should either start ASAP or set a slightly further away absolute deadline that gives people time to plan, but allowing for exceptions already just sets the sort of precedent that sees us barely ever playing.

mkenyon

Banned
The issue again for Wednesdays is that the Sunday people can't plan around it. We work during those hours :p

21:30 CEST is 12:30 in the Western US, 15:30 in the east coast (and I think Brazil, which is where Face lives).

*edit*

But also again, to reiterate, I would be okay with missing the first session given that I'll only be playing half of the time anyway.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The issue again for Wednesdays is that the Sunday people can't plan around it. We work during those hours :p

21:30 CEST is 12:30 in the Western US, 15:30 in the east coast (and I think Brazil, which is where Face lives).

*edit*

But also again, to reiterate, I would be okay with missing the first session given that I'll only be playing half of the time anyway.

We could make the absolute deadline the 7th instead of the 3rd, then. The point is I think we need a cut-off point where we say "this is it", and that's the session, take it or leave it. We have 16 people playing, if we cancel it when 1 or 2 people can't make it we'll never get going.

CloudWolf

If I'm not mistaken, everybody should be available to play Sunday the 31st, right? So why not put the absolute deadline on that date instead of the week after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom