• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Union about to announce joint defence spending

antonz

Russia is going to freak the fuck out over this. if tampering was bad before if this starts gaining steam you can expect Russia to go into much darker directions

Wow, that's a great first step.

Honestly wasn't expecting to see moves like this so soon, but with the way large parts of the world seem to have turned towards extreme EU skepticism I guess it's best to move quickly.

I imagine the most important part to this being successful is making sure that everything is a proper cooperative effort, no member state should feel like they're being screwed over.

Nikodemos

Russia is going to freak the fuck out over this. if tampering was bad before if this starts gaining steam you can expect Russia to go into much darker directions
Not entirely. I mean, sure, it's a bad result for Putin who wants a weak and disunited Europe, but some of his coterie have different ideas (even though they keep them well private for as long as Volodya lives).

Remember that, back before Putin, some Russian neorealist political theorists conceived the idea of the West split into two camps. In that view, the US and EU would be apart, rather than allied. They believed that the split would result from the Union's business-unfriendly regulations (that would primarily hit US corporations, though not entirely/necessarily by design) and the US's erratic foreign adventurism (which the EU would not support due to high costs for little benefit) ultimately coming to a head. That neorealist world model had the two Western blocs opportunistically join forces or oppose each other as their interests dictated.

Top Bottom