• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Yeah forgot to mention the chat. Hang out in the "NeoGAF" (no quotations) chat channel. Most everyone who posts in here does, though there's usually only a few in there at a time at best. More if people are logged in on alts as well.

I just used an old WH Tengu that was omni-tanked. ~80% resists across the board.

I had a cargo scanner and data analyzer. First box I scanned had the BP, rest of the site was worthless.

I took about 2200 damage from the explosion and the Serpentis rats damaged through a medium deadspace booster. I was never close to dying though, as the rats warp out after a few seconds.

Ryan_

Noticed a 30 day started is 99cents on GMG http://www.greenmangaming.com/eve-online/

For anyone looking to jump in. Buy this but do a 20 day trial first.

I was coming here to post this as well.
I'm very very interested to start! Could someone tell me where the GAF corp is situated?
Also, what are the general differences between the starter packs?
I know bounty hunter speaks for itself but other Lava Planet Command? Or Explorer?
Those are very abstract of course.
Still though, I would loe to delve in if I could get into a good corp!

EDIT: Just read that there is no NeoGAF corp anymore. Sad stuff.

Atomski

I think it would be kinda fun to start a neogaf alt corp. Just have a group of new alts messing around in game. Still though theres not many of us sadly though..

Crazy a site such as neogaf has such a small group of Eve players.

I think it would be kinda fun to start a neogaf alt corp. Just have a group of new alts messing around in game. Still though theres not many of us sadly though..

if player reference codes were allowed you bet your behind we would get a handful going :D

Ryan_

I am all for that! You can always PM me with the specifics.

Still, though. What pack should I buy from those? Explorer, bounty hunter, ... ?

I am all for that! You can always PM me with the specifics.

Still, though. What pack should I buy from those? Explorer, bounty hunter, ... ?

It really doesn't matter. They give you a trivial amount of starter items that can easily be afforded/replaced in a matter of hours. Aside from the skill booster. Just pick whatever sounds interesting.

But make sure to grab a 21-day trial before activating the purchased game.

And if you want some extra help I'm sure people can pool you some ISK appropriate for a newbie. Depends on how much you're interested in "roughing it".

Ryan_

It really doesn't matter. They give you a trivial amount of starter items that can easily be afforded/replaced in a matter of hours. Aside from the skill booster. Just pick whatever sounds interesting.

But make sure to grab a 21-day trial before activating the purchased game.

And if you want some extra help I'm sure people can pool you some ISK appropriate for a newbie. Depends on how much you're interested in "roughing it".

Aight, gotcha. Isn't it better though to start with the items in the pack than with the tutorial ones? I know I'm prolly asking silly questions but I've never played this game before.
Also, any helpful sites or other sources?

Aight, gotcha. Isn't it better though to start with the items in the pack than with the tutorial ones? I know I'm prolly asking silly questions but I've never played this game before.
Also, any helpful sites or other sources?

Well the starter pack will just give you extra stuff besides what you earn in the additional tutorials. And you can activate a trial and immediately enter a game key and still have the 51 days of total initial game time with all your items no problem. Get one of the 21 day trial links from one of us here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve has some useful links, especially this one at the top: http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1p915i/what_you_need_to_know_before_playing_eve_online/

Other than that, Jester's Trek is a great blog by by a current sitting member of the CSM (he's been blogging since before that though) - has some good guides in the sidebar on the right. EVE-Survival is the go-to place for mission breakdowns - what damage the NPCs do, triggers for new NPC waves, objectives, etc. Will save you a lot of headaches if you do missions (which most new players do for at least some time.) And this page gives specific damage resists for the various NPC faction's types of ships.

This is besides the official wiki (which isn't always the most useful or up to date, but decent enough) and the EVE University wiki.

I think that's probably enough to get you started. I really should put some of these links into the OP.

----

In other news, finished Small Hybrid Turret V today, so now I have all the small turrets maxed out in that regard. Can or have the ability to use all the tech 2 small guns which is nice. So I can fly pretty close to maxed out Amarr and Gallente frigates. Don't have Caldari or Minmatar at V yet (and I probably won't anytime soon - have other things to move on to).

Atomski

SOE battleship shown

SOE%20Battleship.png

Woorloog

Banned
SOE battleship shown

SOE%20Battleship.png

Cool. SOE ships look really nice. Too bad they cost so damn much :/ EDIT i assume. At least for a casual like me, i doubt i could afford flying them and losing them too (which is inevitable).
Of course... perhaps i should play first and see how much money i can actually make.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I have never played this game and never will. Enjoy, EVE-GAF

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

EVE Online Pirate Frigate (not a game, just a ship! Go to www.eveonline.com/activate to redeem) -- MB-A97B6019140A682C

t1386013056z1.png

dang it missed it.

There were other decent choices, but Drone Interfacing V is finally in queue!

Everytime you post here you are close to completing a major crucial skill! i'm starting to think you have a glitched out novice booster ;-;

im 2 weeks out from Advanced weapon upgrades. which thinking about it is kinda dumb and i could have prioritized a t2 large weapon but...meh. Going to try and get the marauder pre-reqs before i decide which marauder to obtain

Well AWU V was another choice that's just about as long. While good, it's not as fun and not critical to any ships I want to fly currently. With it I can squeeze out a slightly better fit on my Machariel, but I don't know of any other fits or ships where it would make a difference right now.

Large Hyrbid V was another possibility, but that means I would actually have to play (the horror!) to be able to budget out the Vindicator I would use it for. So a great value general skill like Drone Interfacing V was probably overdue.

The OP image needs to be updated.

Changed. Added a few resources there too, but I won't spent much effort making the OT nice and shiny/complete unless(until) we hit an OT2. Might just reboot the thread if I want to spend the time making a nice OP. Not sure if it would be worth having gaming side threads for each new expansion. I mean we are looking at some pretty interesting stuff coming in the future.

Woorloog

Banned
Changed. Added a few resources there too, but I won't spent much effort making the OT nice and shiny/complete unless(until) we hit an OT2. Might just reboot the thread if I want to spend the time making a nice OP. Not sure if it would be worth having gaming side threads for each new expansion. I mean we are looking at some pretty interesting stuff coming in the future.

:lol At this speed? 25 pages in a year, 4 years to 100 pages, 16 years for 400 pages...

OT for each "expansion" (they're just fucking content patches, they rarely are as extensive as a typical expansion pack for other games was) would be nice but probably not worth it.
It would give EVE more exposure but GAF's general opinion is "fun to read about, don't care about the game itself" so i doubt threads would get actual players.

Maybe if we make a thread announcing every major update in the gaming side, to at least bring some new eyes to the mix. You have to admit this thread gets lost from the amount of posts in other threads, and i wouldnt be able to find it without the subscription

and maybe evilore letting us post our reference links for the 21 day trial. and to make it fair, put it on some sort of randomizer so every person who submits their link has a fair chance of it being picked by a newbie :)

i was kinda lost as to what to train next and was going to go for cybernetics 5, but someone told me that it would take 293 days to regain the time lost training cyber from 4-5 and that's with +5 implants with the extra gained SP.

aint nobody got time for that!

It's useful if you're ever in a situation that uses good hardwirings. Other than that, it's not really useful. I'd never recommend anyone use +5s, since they're a very good excuse to not play EVE. Unless you really know what you're doing I recommend avoiding them altogether.

Atomski

Semester is over after tomorrow.. time to start playing Eve more often. Think I may get one of my characters out of my current corp so I can actually not worry about this war.. but on atomski I am hoping to get involved in it soon.

Still playing skill queue online. Don't actually have to worry about playing much until January or February though when my PLEX time starts to run out. And I've still got ~2bil worth of Concord LP banked on top of my liquid ISK, so I'm okay for a bit - longer if I let my alt account lapse (at least temporarily).

I want to turn my amarr alt into a good support character for my main. I was thinking of training her towards a fleet booster, but i figured the boost from the warfare links was too small to justify on just one ship.

then it turns out i know jack squat about support ships. Amarr is mainly armor based, so any buffs would be shit on my caldari shield. amar logi would need a cap buddy and i dont want to run 3 characters at once.

i didn't think this through. She can fly amar strategic cruisers but not well, since she was originally an exploration/transporter/market alt. i.e no weapons skills whatsoever. i was thinking of running her in a legion along side my HAM tengu.

Atomski

Started doing exploration again on Norgler. Nothing exciting but atleast Im playing the game again.

I wish Stratios weren't so expensive.. really want it to explore with. I feel like If I grinded for one it would just get blown up five minutes later. I

Woorloog

Banned
Starting EVE again is not going as smoothly as i had hoped.

First i have this goddamn camera tracking issue, apparently some idiot at CCP decided it would be great to have camera track selected objects by default. Solved that with some googling.

Secondly, EVE caused my laptop to overheat. Hasn't happened again and i'm monitoring the temps. I would guess it happened from changing settings a lot, i tried various things fast, in an area with many objects.
Still no idea what's the difference between medium and high shaders, at least i didn't see any frame rate difference.

EDIT i wonder if there's a simple way to underclock laptop GPU. Having the laptop to run slightly cooler and quieter would be okay while playing EVE.

Starting EVE again is not going as smoothly as i had hoped.

First i have this goddamn camera tracking issue, apparently some idiot at CCP decided it would be great to have camera track selected objects by default. Solved that with some googling.

Secondly, EVE caused my laptop to overheat. Hasn't happened again and i'm monitoring the temps. I would guess it happened from changing settings a lot, i tried various things fast, in an area with many objects.
Still no idea what's the difference between medium and high shaders, at least i didn't see any frame rate difference.

EDIT i wonder if there's a simple way to underclock laptop GPU. Having the laptop to run slightly cooler and quieter would be okay while playing EVE.

no need for real lighting and stuff. also i think the game has an option where it automatically chooses the settings for different visuals (fast, pretty, and middle of the road?)

otherwise turn everything off and start upping stuff. my laptop has every ship look like a potato

Woorloog

Banned
Damn damn damn.
Overheating even after cleaning the vents, and now it overheated even without changing graphics settings.
Very odd.

EDIT well, playing with integrated graphics now. Not too bad performance but eh...

Woorloog

Banned
hmm...

you sure something in the background isnt causing it? try restarting ?

Eh, nope, not a background issue.
Hell, i've played Skyrim in long sessions for a few days and no overheating (and that's before i cleaned the vents). Though as i understand it, Skyrim is not GPU hungry.
Probably should try playing something else too, to determine whether it is actually some issue by EVE or a hardware issue
Also i'll note this laptop could run EVE last year just fine, with the actual GPU, not the integrated one.

EDIT Civ V at least doesn't seem to be heating the laptop nearly as much.

Woorloog

Banned
Right, a longer session of EVE will even take CPU to near overheating (Intel HD 3000 in use).
I definitely need a proper solution to this...

Anyway, i noticed i default to Caldari. Years ago, i played the trial, with Caldari. Then another trial later, i think i tried Caldari again, not being sure what i'd like. And then my account proper, a Caldari first, though then i made a Gallente... and now i'm back to a Caldari character. (I've never had so much skillpoints i'd feel it waste to change my main character)
No idea what attracts me to Caldari.

Well, Caldari is objectively the most aesthetically pleasing. Either way, choice of race has no bearing on any gameplay that matters. Pick whatever you like (as long as it's the Correct choice).

man Scorpion Navy issue is slowwwwwwwwwwwwww!

then again i havent used a BS in a long time...Cruiser missiles are also hard to get back to after experiencing heavy assault missile firing rate. ugh.

Woorloog

Banned
Caldari Battleships look horrible. As do half of their cruisers (Moa and Osprey). Ferox doesn't look too good either, nor Bantam. Otherwise, they are good.
Of non-pirate ships, i like Maller most probably. Too bad it is a laser ship, railguns would be so much cooler (IIRC, blaster-fit Maller might actually work but rail-fit? No way.)

I was thinking that perhaps i should just continue my previous character, cross-training to Caldari doesn't take too much time, especially since i'm just flying Cruisers at most (and not yet even). Have quite a bit of other skills trained after all.

So that cerberus i was rolling around in and got blapped in 1.4 months ago was apparently a rare fit.

i bought it off contracts and never took notice that it had large capacitor control units I in the rigs. cerberus, being an heavy assault Cruiser, can only take mediums. this one had the large rigs from BEFORE the update that made rigs depend on ship size.

makes the loss even heavier. I found out when i was trying to fit another one the same exact way but fit it in EFT.

i decided to skip cruise missiles V for 4 days to train heavy assault cruisers IV.

gonna entertain myself with my Cerberus doing DED sites in low sec. then once cruise missiles V is done (about 10 days) i will concentrate on T2 Hybrids. once THAT is done, i will go for caldari BS and Gallente BS 5. i won't ride my Golem/Kronos that i won in somer blink unless they packing t2 weapons to justify them!

Woorloog

Banned
Tutorials are horrible. I'm doing them just for the free stuff (not because i actually need them having done them before, and yes, i made another character, back to Amarr, wasn't satisfied with how the Caldari looked).
They're vague and give you rewards that require skills you don't get via tutorials. And they don't tell you what you're going to need later in the chain.

Ah, well, enough bitching about them.
I'll complain a bit about the UI instead, which is way too complicated, especially overview settings.

Anyway, joined NeoGAF chat channel, you see Bashar Kagrenac, that's me.

Top Bottom