• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Darklord

Banned
I tried playing Eve Online about a year or two ago. I found it super hard to penetrate and found it's lack of explanation or basic info in a lot of things made it a lot harder. Has anything changed? Is it worth joining again and giving it a shot? I was pretty clueless last time.

eot

Banned
But that guy who cuts margins in half just gets matched by nearly everyone else minutes later. He's not selling more than anyone else because they all beat his price. Sure some won't make the jump because they can't afford to or just don't want to budge, but enough do, certainly on the things I've been watching.

You're right that he will be most likely be undercut right away, but it doesn't matter. The price goes up again, you said so yourself. This is stating the obvious, but if the price goes up it means all those sell orders will slashed margins filled, regardless of whether or not someone was micromanaging them. That's part of the idea, you avoid the 0.01 game (which will drive you insane) by undercutting a lot. You don't have to have the lowest price every second, you just need to price your wares at a point where demand is greater or equal to supply.

If you have to 0.01-isk your orders for them to sell that means supply is greater than demand and you're probably being greedy with your margins. It's not an invalid strategy, but it means micromanaging the hell out of your orders and personally I think it's a waste of time. It scales horribly with the time you put in.

hoverX

Just got this. Looking forward to getting into it. I don't have a ton of time for games these days but I'm hoping this one will suck me in.

DBT85

Our alliance got Wardcced last night by German Freakshow. They also decced 19 other alliances in the last day!

Looking at their history they have been traditionally in wars lasting only a week. Sometimes they go to two, sometimes they are a few days short.

What amuses me was that I spent a little while making some safes/instas in our home system, when I mentioned this to one of the guys they said "why, it'll cost too much to wardec this alliance", 3 days later we get decced along with 19 other alliances lol.

They also seem to be quite good at it :p

Darklord

Banned
Ok so I decided to sign up again. It's been 4 years! I have my old character still but can someone help me? I have no idea what I had planned. I wanted to be a pirate, I know that. But where do I go from here?

Edit: Actually, I might just start over.

Our alliance got Wardcced last night by German Freakshow. They also decced 19 other alliances in the last day!

Looking at their history they have been traditionally in wars lasting only a week. Sometimes they go to two, sometimes they are a few days short.

What amuses me was that I spent a little while making some safes/instas in our home system, when I mentioned this to one of the guys they said "why, it'll cost too much to wardec this alliance", 3 days later we get decced along with 19 other alliances lol.

They also seem to be quite good at it :p

yeah they came around our area last week . very weird group, but gave some good fights.

Ok so I decided to sign up again. It's been 4 years! I have my old character still but can someone help me? I have no idea what I had planned. I wanted to be a pirate, I know that. But where do I go from here?

Edit: Actually, I might just start over.

if you remember your login, might as well just join a new corp and start from there. No need to throw away all that SP that you gained, unless its under less than 2m. But even then, skills gained are a plus.

if you still want to restart from scratch, either send yourself a buddy invite from your old account for the 21 day trial. *or use mine :D https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=559dd8eb-c1c0-45ab-b8ad-3f0dd7bfd872&action=buddy*

download evemon and try this plan to get started if you forgot the basics: https://wiki.pleaseignore.com/wiki/Basic_30_day_Plan

tried the somer blink thing.

won a scorpion and a harpy with only 20m spent. felt like hot shit, and next thing i know im down 80M. almost bought the whole thing with my own isk anyways :S can't even fly the dam things!

A ludicrously successful one, they've made tens of trillions of ISK off that thing

seriously. they give away free Capital ships :s the main owner works for amazon and he said he is going to use the site as his resume to apply at valve.

DBT85

So I spoke to my brother today who lost another Hurricane, however the manner in which he lost it amused me greatly.

He lives out in null with his corp. They seem fairly small from what I can gather, he rats or runs some missions in his ship. He warped out to a belt and started knocking out the rats that were around, one frigate came in close and scrambled him. "No fear" he thought, "I'll just deploy my dro... oh shit I forgot my drones".

He had no way of killing the ship, and no way of getting away. So few were in his corp that nobody was close enough to help out and he had no alt to help. So he sat there for ages and watched his ship die lol.

So I spoke to my brother today who lost another Hurricane, however the manner in which he lost it amused me greatly.

He lives out in null with his corp. They seem fairly small from what I can gather, he rats or runs some missions in his ship. He warped out to a belt and started knocking out the rats that were around, one frigate came in close and scrambled him. "No fear" he thought, "I'll just deploy my dro... oh shit I forgot my drones".

He had no way of killing the ship, and no way of getting away. So few were in his corp that nobody was close enough to help out and he had no alt to help. So he sat there for ages and watched his ship die lol.

how long did that atke?

DBT85

how long did that atke?

He mentioned that it was long enough that he had accepted the loss by the time that it actually came. No idea why he wasn't able to tank a frig though.

If he had been blown up by some others in null I think it wouldn't have been so bad but it was the rat that killed him lol.

eot

Banned
When people rat in nullsec they only encounter one kind of faction (unlike missions) that's specific to the region, so people just tank their ships for that resist profile. People who hunt ratters tend to pick weapon / ammo that does the opposite damage for which ratters usually have like 25% of the tank or something.

T-0800

Downloaded the free trial a few days ago and for some reason I can't even finish one of the first tutortial missions. Really love the scope of the game even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

Onemic

Anyone watching Eve fanfest right now? I haven't subscribed to Eve in over 2 years, but I still love the concept of the game and how it's imo the only real true MMO game, since everything is dynamic and not static.

DBT85

Downloaded the free trial a few days ago and for some reason I can't even finish one of the first tutortial missions. Really love the scope of the game even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

The new player help chat channel in game should be able to help, it's probably already open for you when you log in.

Or you can ask us :) I had one guy in our corp struggling on a tutorial mission as he didn't realise he had to warp to a different system. Eve is better with new players now than it's ever been, but it still kind of just opens the door to the candy shop and says "off you go then".

Onemic

I gotta say, Eve Fanfest is cool as fuck. The fact that they go beyond the game itself into actual tech surrounding space and the possible future of space technology is extremely interesting.

Onemic

They had a presenter from Planetary Resources, the company that wants to be the pioneer of Asteroid mining, on their stage. Really out of left field and a pleasant surprise.

Yesterday they had a keynote speaker that just talked about astrophysics and the possibility of interstellar travel in the next 100 years. Really interesting stuff.

eot

Banned
Ah, patch speculation time. Jita is cleaned out of several moon mats, time for more people to get rich. Made a quick 3b, but if you bought Thul a month ago you'd have made your money back ten times. Watching the market graph someone bought 20b worth at 2k p/u so whoever that was made a cool ~150b.

Keasar

The miracle of trailers. They can make the game look so goddamn exciting, the fleet battles looked absolutely sweet and its hard not to go "Holy shit! That looks awesome I wanna fly around in that and shoot things down!!!"

And then you get into the game and after 500~ hours of spreadsheet combat you get rewarded with this.
hUW41Xx.jpg
Clusterfuck 3000 of Space Battles.

I really, really wish I could get into this game. It is such a wonderful world that is player driven, all the drama, all the intrigues, the diplomacy, the backstabbings, all scams but CCP has just done it so, damn, hard. I still try every 8 or so months to play again to see if I have reached a critical mass where I finally can like it, but I never get past a small battlecruiser before it explodes and I reset back to destroyers. People tell me it is easy to get money and replace ships but I never seem to reach that magical point where I somehow would earn 50 million a day. 500.000 is a miracle for me if I can earn it on a daily basis, some days I might get lucky and find some junk I can sell for a million.

Still, at the end of the day, their trailers kick ass.

Onemic

The miracle of trailers. They can make the game look so goddamn exciting, the fleet battles looked absolutely sweet and its hard not to go "Holy shit! That looks awesome I wanna fly around in that and shoot things down!!!"

And then you get into the game and after 500~ hours of spreadsheet combat you get rewarded with this.

I really, really wish I could get into this game. It is such a wonderful world that is player driven, all the drama, all the intrigues, the diplomacy, the backstabbings, all scams but CCP has just done it so, damn, hard. I still try every 8 or so months to play again to see if I have reached a critical mass where I finally can like it, but I never get past a small battlecruiser before it explodes and I reset back to destroyers. People tell me it is easy to get money and replace ships but I never seem to reach that magical point where I somehow would earn 50 million a day. 500.000 is a miracle for me if I can earn it on a daily basis, some days I might get lucky and find some junk I can sell for a million.

I never understood this. Unless you're trying to go the route of being a CEO or a miner/trader, how do spreadsheets take up the majority of your time? When I played I never touched one.

Keasar

I never understood this. Unless you're trying to go the route of being a CEO or a miner/trader, how do spreadsheets take up the majority of your time? When I played I never touched one.

Because the combat is just boring. It is nowhere near as exciting as the trailers give it away to be. I have had so many EVE players trying to sell to me that the game is nothing like I tell them it is. "You have to constantly maneuver your ship! Spacing is important! No you don't just activate your weapons and hope the other one dies before you!" but every time I have tried it, it is nothing like they tell me. Its still boring. It IS that "click a ship and hope it dies before you" game, unless you have a ECM or something, then maybe you have to sometimes click that. And the one time I decided to join a fleet battle, I died the moment I entered the battlefield before I got a single shot off, lost my ship and had to go back to a crummy destroyer again. The "exciting" battlefield I glimpsed before my destruction was a big mess of icons while 60% of my screen was cluttered with chat boxes and target lists. That is nothing like the exciting trailers try to tell me EVE is. Sure, it was one of the larger battles happening in the game but I would have thought that accounted for an even more awesome time. My theory is that the "spreadsheet combat" comes from that you dont have to look at the actual combat at all, you can just fill your screen with target boxes, zoom the camera away, activate tactical map and you have everything you need. They implemented at some point gorgeous animations for missile and rocket launchers but its completely wasted on the fact you are never that close to the ship to enjoy it properly.

CCP may have made one of the greatest sandboxes ever, I completely agree on that, but I just really wish they could make the combat into something fun. Cause I am never spending free time doing mining and accounting AND paying someone each month for the privilege of doing it.

And also write away the jellybean pods, nothing ruins my dreams of being a awesome space captain like the thought of my character actually just being suspended, fetal position, in jello.

DBT85

For reference, I have 4 accounts, one trader/manufacturer, one combat only, one combat/mining and one noob account that I want to play with PvP on. I have no spreadsheets at all (I do see you said combat).

The more interesting combat for me does come from flying the smaller ships where you are up close and personal, but that's each to their own. You do need to be at the right range, you do need to be firing on the correct target, you do need to be using the correct ammo. It really isn't "click the button and hope he dies first" because if you do that you are almost always going to lose. It could probably be more "launch quantum torpedos, full spread" exciting but I don't know how they would do it without making it simpler, short of adding a fighter pilot type view for the smaller ships.

As for making money, I do Incursions on my 7m SP character (thats about 6 months training) and earn 9m isk every 8-9 minutes, after a 10% corp tax. I'm not even very good at it and we only do the n00b ass 9-11 player ones. Some go up toward 50 with better rewards.

I also do missions that will pay out 20m or so in bounties in 30-45 minutes. Again, not very good at them compared to others but the money is easy.

It all depends on what you are trying to do, how you are trying to do it and how long you can do it for. Eve can be played entirely solo if you want, but it really does reward being in a corp with people that can help out and gang up with.

Regardless of anything, Eve isn't for everyone. I stopped playing for over 5 years but for the life of me I can't remember why. Really enjoying being back at the moment.

eot

Banned
Large fleet engagements de-emphasize individual pilot skill yes, but in small gang PvP piloting skill can be hugely important. Honestly, just watch this video or another one on the same channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZB8yfoG5E (the first fight is at about 4m). Keeping track of positioning and movement of all enemies as well as your own ship in a 3D space is actually quite hard, but you also need to be good at threat assessment and managing your modules / capacitor. The nerves that come with flying ships that cost a bit of ISK to replace only make it harder.

Keasar

Large fleet engagements de-emphasize individual pilot skill yes, but in small gang PvP piloting skill can be hugely important. Honestly, just watch this video or another one on the same channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZB8yfoG5E (the first fight is at about 4m). Keeping track of positioning and movement of all enemies as well as your own ship in a 3D space is actually quite hard, but you also need to be good at threat assessment and managing your modules / capacitor. The nerves that come with flying ships that cost a bit of ISK to replace only make it harder.

It may be that it start requiring more skills, but as I never played in PVP because I was pretty sure wherever I went, everyone would have bigger guns than me as my experience so far was the first 6 times I tried, I just stayed out of it. And the video still underscores my point with the actual combat being way more dull than advertised by both CCP and what EVE players try to tell you. When I say spreadsheet combat, that is exactly what I mean. There is nothing but a loads of stats, numbers and bars there that you fight against. It does the what was conceived as impossible of making space combat absolutely dull.

Salvaging V finished. Onto Astrometric Rangefinding IV.

I don't particularly feel like actually playing at the moment, but I'm staying subbed because I don't want to miss the 10th anniversary gift(s), even if I'd rather just come back after Odyssey.

:/

Onemic

Salvaging V finished. Onto Astrometric Rangefinding IV.

I don't particularly feel like actually playing at the moment, but I'm staying subbed because I don't want to miss the 10th anniversary gift(s), even if I'd rather just come back after Odyssey.

:/

When are they giving out the gifts anyway?

When are they giving out the gifts anyway?

This week or next I believe.

Did finally get around to watching the CCP and EVE keynote VODs from fanfest the past couple days. The new exploration stuff coming definitely looks pretty cool and the probes launching in formation will be a godsend. Will have to be more careful if you're afraid of getting hunted down though as it makes it easier for pirates too.

Definitely like their future vision of building stargates, space colonization, etc. Should make for interesting times in the upcoming years.

I seriously need a 60 Day trial to try this again. I went to Liftport because an interview on Giantbomb said they had them and found the magazine/newsletter saying the same but no help getting one.

14 days was not enough to learn last time

Ocho

Resubbed after all the EVE Fanfest commotion. Discover my corp/alliance doesn't exist anymore.

I'm looking for a pvp/big alliance corp. I have around 35M skillpoints. Dabbled in PVP but never got a kill, would like to change that. What is the GAF crew up to this days?

I'm having some trouble staying connected might just be my WiFi but got disconnected twice.

anyway paid 3 months hopefully I can skill up and do my training while I don't have to worry about trial

I have a few questions what happens when I get disconnected during a mission? or out in space

I was in the station checking skill menus both times I disconnected
old macbook pro here so not really good performance

Ocho

I have a few questions what happens when I get disconnected during a mission? or out in space

It used to be that your ship warps away randomly (if not destroyed during align time, etc) and disconnects after 15 minutes. Not sure how it works now, but probably it is the same (I just resubbed).

It used to be that your ship warps away randomly (if not destroyed during align time, etc) and disconnects after 15 minutes. Not sure how it works now, but probably it is the same (I just resubbed).

It's slightly different now. Depends on the aggro timer (Crime Watch). If you have no aggro, you should be able to log off instantly. Read up on the system as I don't know specifically - been playing more skill queue online than actually flying around.

Did finish up Salvaging V and another Astrometric IV skill (can't remember exactly what it was). Tossed Adv. Weapon Upgrades IV in finally now. After that I'll have to think more. Maybe Archaeology/Hacking skillups to IV.

thanks guys for the answers

until I fix some of my connection issues with this new account I decided to stay at the station for a few days before going on my second training mission besides I want to just move up my skills get a better ship maybe I'll breeze through those missions.

Now a few more questions CCP has decided to extend the gifts to new subscribers until the 31st for those who signed up for Paid accounts. I have been doing a lot of reading it seems that one of those ships is highly targeted for kills even in beginner areas like I am in now. So under my paid account I also have two more toons I can create I was going to save them until the expansion but if I can start to skill all of them up now and get the same gifts for them just wondering. Are the gives just onces per account all is it 3 sets of gifts?

last question is selling Plex. I need some start up funs so I have a plex I want to sell to get off the starter ship ASAP and also upgrade my clone so I don't lose my SP

I read you could just sell them at market price but clicking on it just makes me post I don't really want to take days to get the ISK

also how do you unstack items if you only want to sell 1 at a time?

Ocho

thanks guys for the answers

until I fix some of my connection issues with this new account I decided to stay at the station for a few days before going on my second training mission besides I want to just move up my skills get a better ship maybe I'll breeze through those missions.

Now a few more questions CCP has decided to extend the gifts to new subscribers until the 31st for those who signed up for Paid accounts. I have been doing a lot of reading it seems that one of those ships is highly targeted for kills even in beginner areas like I am in now. So under my paid account I also have two more toons I can create I was going to save them until the expansion but if I can start to skill all of them up now and get the same gifts for them just wondering. Are the gives just onces per account all is it 3 sets of gifts?

last question is selling Plex. I need some start up funs so I have a plex I want to sell to get off the starter ship ASAP and also upgrade my clone so I don't lose my SP

I read you could just sell them at market price but clicking on it just makes me post I don't really want to take days to get the ISK

also how do you unstack items if you only want to sell 1 at a time?

I think you only get 1 gift per account.

You can either put a sell order and wait for someone to buy your Plex or sell it immediately to someone buying a Plex but you usually get less ISK. If you're looking for a starter ship, they're not that expensive. A couple of missions should get you set up. No need to hastily sell your Plex for less ISK, tbh.

Shift click + drag to unstack items.

ok thanks

how dangerous is it for a newbie to try to go to that one busy trading spot?

edit: Sucks I think I have a glitch the tutorial has gone on a look of asking me to activate my ship and insure it but when I already had my main ship selected I keep getting on of the Gift ships that already has a high dollar amount. but when I clicked insure it charged me a really low price I would expect from the free starter ship

then it asks to read a wiki about insurance the it does not have a next button but a done button... hit done leave station it asks to return to station to insure the ship lol rinsed this 3 times already so just exited the game. I'll sleep on it while more skills come online

because of the glitch I've been having the stuff you should get from tutorials I am not getting

so I went out on the second mission with guns and shilds but I don't have anything on my Reaper to power my guns. lol I am getting the hang of the game better than my last try years ago but the tutorial crashing on me takes a bit of getting use to.

can anyone help me understand what I need to get the ship working. I have to attack a fuel depot and some pirates on the next area thing

I'll go look at the market to see if I can buy a capacitor then if that does not work I'll start another character

edit: 7 hours later my new character was able to pass the second training mission

one thing I found out is character 2 cannot train if character 1 is training so had to go pause the first character to train the second.

not sure why my first character's training got glitched but training with the second will help me do better with the first. I like the name and look of the second better so all those gifts and ships and plex I need to move over to the second character somehow :(

I'm sure I'll get this in a month or two

PROTIP:

always remember to press the "resume' button when training skill. i've lost half a week of training because i paused the skill training to input an implant and forgot to resume.

Did finish up Salvaging V and another Astrometric IV skill (can't remember exactly what it was). Tossed Adv. Weapon Upgrades IV in finally now. After that I'll have to think more. Maybe Archaeology/Hacking skillups to IV.

yeah i think i heard somewhere you need those skills to at least 4 otherwise you can come across locked canisters that won't open at all.

ALSO IS ANYONE ELSE LOVING THE GIFTED SHIPS (gnosis in particular).

man that thing is too strong. all those buffs,a battlecruiser can be flown by a fresh newbie since it doesnt have pre-reqs. its a missile/projectile/drone ship and looks sexy to boot. I dont think im ever going to fly mine.

Top Bottom