• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Woorloog

Banned
Aw man, I guess ship manufacturer is the way for me then since I don't know anyone in the game. I didn't think about constantly having to switch equipment.

Well, contantly and constantly. How long did wrecks etc. stay?
It is relatively simple to scan the system, check the sites and go get a combat/miner ship and go through the sites, and then go back to get the exploration ship.
Of course, one might need to move beetween systems, and transporting multiple ships isn't that simple.
Not sure really. This is based on my impressions how exploration works, never really got into it.
I'd very much like to do that were i still playing :/

EVE is a game where you need other people really though. A corp at least, if no friends playing the game. A solo career is possible but it is much simpler to have other people's help.

EDIT sorry, not meaning to discourage you.

EDIT recommend you read EVE University articles, and other wiki articles.
http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Exploration_101
Finding a corp shouldn't be too hard, read the corp-recruitment forum on EVE forums. Applying is another matter... but i'm pretty sure you can find what you're looking for.

EDIT dammit. Really want to play EVE again...

after consuming a Cerebral Accelerator booster can I still add new implants? I know I will lose the effect if I clone jump

in game names? "Aldek Eto" here

kinda not important in EVE even on EVE forums were most post under alts lol

not sure which one is my main now

for now this one I guess Indigo Plavalaguna Nazaire

I sometimes have more than one client open so learning different things with other toons

3AQmK.gif
I've become less paranoid about undocking in EVE going for plus 60 jumps and back home :)

could even walk away and get a drink
KuGsj.gif

eot

Banned
after consuming a Cerebral Accelerator booster can I still add new implants? I know I will lose the effect if I clone jump

Yes, it's not an implant it's a booster. If it were an implant you could see which slot it occupies and then you can still add implants that take up other slots. It's probably not worth the money getting the booster if your character is a few weeks old though, it will stop working at 35 days character age.

Also, regarding your contracts question, you have to be in the same region as the contract was issued in unless it's issued specifically to you (or possibly your corp, haven't tried that).

Yes, it's not an implant it's a booster. If it were an implant you could see which slot it occupies and then you can still add implants that take up other slots. It's probably not worth the money getting the booster if your character is a few weeks old though, it will stop working at 35 days character age.

Also, regarding your contracts question, you have to be in the same region as the contract was issued in unless it's issued specifically to you (or possibly your corp, haven't tried that).

yeah my character is 7 days old but does not matter if I had cut into the 35 days just need whatever it takes to get the basic skills out of the way faster

stupid thing about the missions I am being given

I have a mining ship without a miner or guns so I go out mining with my rookie ship that cannot hold much cargo lol

I need to fit my cargo ship with guns and other things but not so easy to figure out what guns it can carry

also the capacitor in my starter rookie ship has red numbers not green stable with I knew what to add to bring it to green

SummitAve

Banned
pvp can be absolutely ruthless. Our corp is getting bigger, and since we've been growing so much people have started war decing us. I've been blown up a few time already after letting my guard down in High sec...Got 4 kills today though in my little slasher. The blowing up experience has help me learn to keep my cool during engagements, and the results are starting to show.

pvp can be absolutely ruthless. Our corp is getting bigger, and since we've been growing so much people have started war decing us. I've been blown up a few time already after letting my guard down in High sec...Got 4 kills today though in my little slasher. The blowing up experience has help me learn to keep my cool during engagements, and the results are starting to show.

i know exactly what you're going through. i can't undock out of station without some feeling of dyre. It's almost like i have a constant suppository in my ass.

Onemic

Looks like getting the skills to begin manufacturing efficiently will take me a good 73 days. guess I'll do a bunch of industrial npc missions and look for a corp in the meantime.

Looks like getting the skills to begin manufacturing efficiently will take me a good 73 days. guess I'll do a bunch of industrial npc missions and look for a corp in the meantime.

my corp is always looking for new capsuleers if u're interested. message me ingame.

Sort of meta, but I always get excited every time I see this thread bumped.

In other news - finished Archeology and Hacking IV. Currently working on Heavy Assault Missiles IV/V. Running out of useful things that don't take an inordinate amount of time (<10 days) for anything more than a minuscule boost though. Will stick around at least through Odyssey launch to check out the new exploration stuff, and if it's enjoyable, I might stay subscribed, but otherwise I think it's time for me to take a break. Haven't really done much besides play skill queue for the past 2 months or so, and I can't really afford to be paying for EVE if I'm not getting much out of it in spite of passive leveling.

We'll see if the new exploration is interesting/profitable enough to PLEX off of though.

Sort of meta, but I always get excited every time I see this thread bumped.

In other news - finished Archeology and Hacking IV. Currently working on Heavy Assault Missiles IV/V. Running out of useful things that don't take an inordinate amount of time (<10 days) for anything more than a minuscule boost though. Will stick around at least through Odyssey launch to check out the new exploration stuff, and if it's enjoyable, I might stay subscribed, but otherwise I think it's time for me to take a break. Haven't really done much besides play skill queue for the past 2 months or so, and I can't really afford to be paying for EVE if I'm not getting much out of it in spite of passive leveling.

We'll see if the new exploration is interesting/profitable enough to PLEX off of though.

just do a weekend of incursion. enough for a plex right tere

do you get ISK for blowing up other ships in wardecs?

I remember having to stop playing EVE years ago can't imagine how far I would be trained if I did not have to stop playing
I would really hate to lose the progress I made in 7 days let alone months worth of training.

I would sell my character off

CCP should allow character hibernation if you want to take a break

do you get ISK for blowing up other ships in wardecs?

I remember having to stop playing EVE years ago can't imagine how far I would be trained if I did not have to stop playing
I would really hate to lose the progress I made in 7 days let alone months worth of training.

I would sell my character off

CCP should allow character hibernation if you want to take a break

no u do not. you can get 50% of their loot to sell though. pvp is just all about the glory of killing others

ugh red vs blue just declared war on us.

i mean i love pvp but gotdamn its a 24/7 ordeal now. i just wanna chill and scan sometime without getting to a gate and debating if its worth the hassle to jump to the other side and possibly getting blapped.

also, the BC 5 skill is only 6 days away now. Im glad i finally am done with it soon but the 20+ day wait did NOT make me feel good. in fact, because i wasn't training skills i could use or interested me, i often avoided the game when i saw that big ass skill training line.

I started playing other games and doing other stuff in the meantime, and i find myself wanting to play the game less. in fact, the whole 20 days of training made me debate resubbing.

i still am very interested in the game and i want to try a lot of aspects to it, but that feeling is less so since i spent so much time away.

in PVP can a great EVE player using a new character with no skills trained defeat a newbie with all the support skills trained to say L5?

I am just wondering how much knowing how to click and move a ship has to do with how much skills a pilot character can pull from to buff things like Shields and Armor to delay a loss

in PVP can a great EVE player using a new character with no skills trained defeat a newbie with all the support skills trained to say L5?

I am just wondering how much knowing how to click and move a ship has to do with how much skills a pilot character can pull from to buff things like Shields and Armor to delay a loss

If both players choose the same exact ship + modules on it, 95% of the time the higher leveled player will win. someone with support skills at lv 5 will target from a longer range, attack faster, move faster, hit harder, will have more power grid/capacitor so will not run out of energy as fast, take less damage etc.

the only way a player with 0 skills can win is by playing smart with modules that perhaps provide some sort of EWAR abilities. things like lowering tracking speed, lowers optimal range, and keeps high tangential velocity etc given that the lvl 5 support skills guy just has basic dps stuff for modules.

with a whole universe to explore I find it stand I spend most of my time docked

Capacitor Depletes in 00:00:24

that just means I have some serious skill training and mod buying to do lol

24 minutes before your ship is a sitting duck out there would suck if I spent any time out there that long. My mining ship is at 44 minutes and not nearly enough Ore at that time

I can really see why people love this game all the little details matter

with a whole universe to explore I find it stand I spend most of my time docked

Capacitor Depletes in 00:00:24

that just means I have some serious skill training and mod buying to do lol

24 minutes before your ship is a sitting duck out there would suck if I spent any time out there that long. My mining ship is at 44 minutes and not nearly enough Ore at that time

I can really see why people love this game all the little details matter

That's actually just the time you can run all the modules you currently have on your ship before you run out of capacitor (your capacitor recharges slowly by itself in space.) You don't have to redock or anything.

And being completely cap stable isn't usually ideal anyway. You should read up more on the mechanics of it.

That's actually just the time you can run all the modules you currently have on your ship before you run out of capacitor (your capacitor recharges slowly by itself in space.) You don't have to redock or anything.

And being completely cap stable isn't usually ideal anyway. You should read up more on the mechanics of it.

okay much more reading needed then

okay much more reading needed then

I should go pick up my Rifter from Jita to fly tutorial missions lol that should help me breeze through the combat if I don't get shot within 25 jumps

I need to know what I need to train to turn a Rifter into a Wolf or Jag

reading more than playing today some of the wikis are many versions of the game behind so it is hard to find newer info like I know the Rifter is not the best frigate anymore or something about a balanced patch

Zeppelin

I guess one could think of cap as mana in other games or whatever.

I guess one could think of cap as mana in other games or whatever.

Pretty much. There are modules/skills that affect total capacity/recharge, and Cap Boosters (consumables that work with a certain type of module) that you can inject to regain cap quickly in the midst of a fight (usually only used for PvP.)

Zeppelin

I really don't get probe scanning. I spread my probes out in a square formation, set the scan range to max and scan. If I find a signature I try to close in on it. Sometimes it's a sphere, sometimes it's a circle. What's the difference? What does the circle mean?! Anyway, sometimes I get it down to a dot (or maybe it's really a small sphere). So I decrease the scan range and move in my four probes so they call cover the dot and scan. And then it just disappears!

Also, I applied for EVE University today. The application process was probably more tedious than the application for my IRL job... Christ.

Atruvius

Just bought EVE with the money I made on Steam trading cards. Played the trial two months ago and got totally hooked but didn't subscribe due to not wanting it to interfere with school. Can't wait to get into it later this evening.

SummitAve

Banned
i've now made eonugh money in just a week of incursion running to plex my account for 3 extra month. ridiculous

How do you run incursions? I've never really understood what they were, and how you can participate in them... I fit upa nice rupture yesterday and proceeded to lose it almost instantly when I made it back to HQ... We were sitting on the undock, and I didn't realize that if you aggressed you get a docking timer. I just wanted to see what kind of damage I could do to their tank....Now I need to make some isk back for future/better fits.

Nohar

Hmmm... It's been a while since I played EVE. I stopped way before the Learning skills deletion.

I kinda want to play it again, but I don't know. I feel like I've never really discovered what made EVE so fantastic. I've done a lot of missions in High sec, I've done Exploration in High and Low sec (I had the special frigate for that - on a side note, I heard they revamped Explo?), and got chased down by many pirates (hehe, fun times - except that one time when I got caught...), I even joined a corporation in Null sec and did some PvP (extremely laggy PvP... Well, I was playing on my laptop at the time, probably didn't help)... But... I don't know. I guess I never really got in touch with what is EVE's magic.

So... Yeah, I guess I want to come back, but I don't know if it's a good idea. This universe have years of backstory, with the different alliances fighting eachother in Null sec. Also, EVE was the subject of many controversy, which really made me NOT want to come back when I discovered them (such as the "Monocle-gate" and "Greed is good").

Of course, playing the game alone is a "no-no", the thing to avoid at all costs. But in that case, which corporation should I join? I guess I could drop by the EVE Academy (or was it University? If it still exists of course - good memories!) in order to get back in shape, and ponder the possibilities after a while.

Also, since nearly all my learning skills were fully learned (with the advanced ones at 4), I will have a lot of points to reallocate. I kinda wonder which skills I should boost (but, well, I need to see my skill list for that; it's been a while, I don't remember what I have and don't have).

So... Well, I guess that I'm asking you if coming back to EVE right now is a good idea, and I wonder if you have good advices to share with me.
Please note that I only have 1 account and character, and that I don't plan to manage more. I also fly Minmatar ships (though I trained Caldari ships in order to unlock the famous Drake, and I can fly both Minmatar and Caldari BS iirc).

Now I know how weak my laptop is by plugging in a 24" 1080P monitor my framerate went down to a crawl now everything is disabled or set on low just to run full screen

I cannot wait to get my new mac in a few months to try running this on max

but the space on the 24" screen still beats my little 13" macbook pro...

What is a good ship to run all tutorials in?

eot

Banned
I really don't get probe scanning. I spread my probes out in a square formation, set the scan range to max and scan. If I find a signature I try to close in on it. Sometimes it's a sphere, sometimes it's a circle. What's the difference? What does the circle mean?! Anyway, sometimes I get it down to a dot (or maybe it's really a small sphere). So I decrease the scan range and move in my four probes so they call cover the dot and scan. And then it just disappears!

Also, I applied for EVE University today. The application process was probably more tedious than the application for my IRL job... Christ.

The probes are basically rangefinders, so each probe only detects its distance from a given signature. For one probe that means the result is the surface of a sphere (it's just all points that satisfy |r| = d from the probe's perspective). With two probes you potentially get two spheres, they will intersect because the sig is somewhere on the surface of both spheres. Two spheres intersect in a circle, so that's what the game shows you. Three spheres (probes) intersect in two points, and four probes intersect in one point. So, you need four probes covering a signature to get a warpable hit, therefore you need your probes to overlap a bit and a square formation isn't that good. I recommend using at least five probes, keeping one in the centre and the rest slightly offset in the solar system plane.

Come Odessey you will be able to launch 7 probes regardless of your Astrometrics skill and they'll also include preset probe formations to make it a bit easier.

Zeppelin

The probes are basically rangefinders, so each probe only detects its distance from a given signature. For one probe that means the result is the surface of a sphere (it's just all points that satisfy |r| = d from the probe's perspective). With two probes you potentially get two spheres, they will intersect because the sig is somewhere on the surface of both spheres. Two spheres intersect in a circle, so that's what the game shows you. Three spheres (probes) intersect in two points, and four probes intersect in one point. So, you need four probes covering a signature to get a warpable hit, therefore you need your probes to overlap a bit and a square formation isn't that good. I recommend using at least five probes, keeping one in the centre and the rest slightly offset in the solar system plane.

Come Odessey you will be able to launch 7 probes regardless of your Astrometrics skill and they'll also include preset probe formations to make it a bit easier.

Al right, that makes sense. Thanks!

Atruvius

About to start playing this game for the first time. Seems so daunting. Rather exciting.
Do all the quests you get at your first docking station. They give you ships and skill books. Add me on Steam if you want some help, I'm a newbie but can still help you (and also learn myself too that way).

Zeppelin

Do all the quests you get at your first docking station. They give you ships and skill books. Add me on Steam if you want some help, I'm a newbie but can still help you (and also learn myself too that way).

And I really suggest doing them all before you venture off on your own. I did the mining ones and then started mining on my own, and ended up buying a bunch of skill books I would have gotten for free from the the other quest lines.

About to start playing this game for the first time. Seems so daunting. Rather exciting.

The game has a steep learning curve initially. When talking to my friends I usually say it's like playing Vim... But as long as you're prepared to do some reading up (the game even has an in-game web browser...) and get over the initial bump it's really not that bad. Eve University has a bunch of tutorials on the game up on YouTube that are worth checking out!

What kind of ship are you running? How blinged out?

I'm running a Maelstrom arty fit. Not blinged at all. All meta 4s. Some T2, but guns are meta 4s

How do you run incursions? I've never really understood what they were, and how you can participate in them... I fit upa nice rupture yesterday and proceeded to lose it almost instantly when I made it back to HQ... We were sitting on the undock, and I didn't realize that if you aggressed you get a docking timer. I just wanted to see what kind of damage I could do to their tank....Now I need to make some isk back for future/better fits.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=206859

Good thread to start there.

hit me up in my in-game name. in a corp and we can have you adjust to this game. i joined the corp when i first started and they taught me most of the things i know now.

.GqueB.

Banned

hit me up in my in-game name. in a corp and we can have you adjust to this game. i joined the corp when i first started and they taught me most of the things i know now.

Thanks for the offer but I don't wanna waste your time since I'm kind of just passing through. I listened to the Giantbomb podcast where they were talking about this game and I HAD to try it out because it sounded so interesting. Doing that 14 day trial. Not sure I'd continue since I can only play on weekends.

Played for like 5 hours last night and this game is damn interesting so far. I decided to go the explorer route with a secondary on military since I'm sure I'll need to defend myself here and there. I notice that "mining" and "businessman" are also options. Are these chosen often? Like do people play this game with the goal of mining and selling goods?

Pretty cool how the community is so welcoming as well. Didn't expect this game to be noob friendly since there's so much to teach/learn.

eot

Banned
Yes, there are plenty of people who don't do anything but trade. It's probably the best way to make money in the game, but the catch is that no one is going to share their secrets hehe.

Atruvius

Thanks for the offer but I don't wanna waste your time since I'm kind of just passing through. I listened to the Giantbomb podcast where they were talking about this game and I HAD to try it out because it sounded so interesting. Doing that 14 day trial. Not sure I'd continue since I can only play on weekends.

Played for like 5 hours last night and this game is damn interesting so far. I decided to go the explorer route with a secondary on military since I'm sure I'll need to defend myself here and there. I notice that "mining" and "businessman" are also options. Are these chosen often? Like do people play this game with the goal of mining and selling goods?

Pretty cool how the community is so welcoming as well. Didn't expect this game to be noob friendly since there's so much to teach/learn.

Yeah, Giant Bomb's coverage got me to subscribe (tried the trial 2 months ago). During my trial I did military and Industry career agent quests, joined a corp and relocated to their main docking station(amarr space) and then just mined.

Two days ago I relocated back to my starting station(gallente space) and started doing rest of those career agent quests. Did the exploration quests today and those seemed fun enough, I might change my play style to include scanning and probing.

Top Bottom