• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The fact that people are playing around you, standing in your line and running over the hole is hilarious.

It's so distracting and makes me angry that they are flagrantly breaking the strict courtesy rules of golf.

I love it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The fact that people are playing around you, standing in your line and running over the hole is hilarious.

It's so distracting and makes me angry that they are flagrantly breaking the strict courtesy rules of golf.

I love it.

I literally just thought the same thing. Little kid was standing in front of me during my tee off. All I could think of was how I am going to delete his face with my shot, ha.

bobohoro

So I kinda fished up every fish and am still missing 4 in terms of salt(?) water types. Looked again in the Beach and Links level, but nothing. Weird.

Also seems like my custom clubs ended up a tad too short to reliably go for the Condor trophy. Since I'm not interested in grinding gems by running around open courses or playing the same old CPU special rank tournaments, I guess that's that then. Nothing really to do in terms of single player anymore and the current online structure isn't that interesting, hope graded tournaments/leagues and other improvements arrive soonish. As it stands, it is probably the weakest entry in the series for me, although still a fun and good game with a handful of glaring issues.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
FlyinJ said:
I don't think I've played a game with this much shimmer.
I take it this is your first time with this series? Though ps4 entry is a pretty dramatic improvement IQ wise compared to the older games.

RodzTF

Here's clear as day evidence of the RNG with the control stat > https://youtu.be/UZ8zJH9aucQ

Here it is maxed out on my 7 iron yet when I get perfect impact, I hook the ball slightly as indicated by the bottom left sway indicator.

Without this random hook, this could have been an ace (probably needed a bit more power) but it's happened to me countless times to put me off aces and eagles etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there no way to go direct to the online open course select while you’re already on an online course? Was hoping for a quicker route to run around looking for items - going back home each time is a pain

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How is the local multiplayer? Probably no chance you can do non-splitscreen pass the controller style?

Edit: Ah! Someone answered this on the first page with a "yes" so it's a buy for me.

8byte

Banned
Here's clear as day evidence of the RNG with the control stat > https://youtu.be/UZ8zJH9aucQ

Here it is maxed out on my 7 iron yet when I get perfect impact, I hook the ball slightly as indicated by the bottom right sway indicator.

Without this random hook, this could have been an ace (probably needed a bit more power) but it's happened to me countless times to put me off aces and eagles etc.

Honestly, you're making a considerably bigger deal out of this than you need to. I don't think a lot of people are interested in a golf game that is 100% predictable and everyone is getting HIO/Eagles every time.

Ostinatto

WTF, i forgot how to play the game?

Can't do those blue-flame shots anymore, what is going on?

What are the requirements to do those again ?

thanks

RodzTF

Honestly, you're making a considerably bigger deal out of this than you need to. I don't think a lot of people are interested in a golf game that is 100% predictable and everyone is getting HIO/Eagles every time.

I simply did it to shut up the naysayers in this thread

I agree it shouldn't be so predictable but it just seems to strike at the most inopportune moments lol

sphinx

the piano man

thanks

I have two theories:

1.- your club must have a certain back spin level (above 3 or 4)

2.- it's unlocked after moving ranks

I go with the first one because for the first time (and only once) I was able to see the blue flame and roll the ball backwards

thanks

You need to be holding the opposite direction of spin you want when you set power and get a perfect impact while applying spin.

Ostinatto

I have two theories:

1.- your club must have a certain back spin level (above 3 or 4)

2.- it's unlocked after moving ranks

I go with the first one because for the first time (and only once) I was able to see the blue flame and roll the ball backwards

i have everything unlocked, must be the club then.

You need to be holding the opposite direction of spin you want when you set power and get a perfect impact while applying spin.

I dont get this, if i want a super back spin, i should press UP then DOWN right?

Quoting for the new page. I saw I unlocked it with that quiz, and I thought it said to use it with L2, but it does nothing for me.

The name is misleading. It's just another angle of your projected landing spot before you take your swing. Before you swing hit L2 and it will show the landing zone from the opposite direction.

It's so dope to see actual kids in a game, what a rarity.
This game is fantastic to me.

...although, what's up with you jumping like the hulk around the course? I jumped in a damn tree! 😂

8byte

Banned
The name is misleading. It's just another angle of your projected landing spot before you take your swing. Before you swing hit L2 and it will show the landing zone from the opposite direction.

Gross.

So the follow cam is totally gone? I miss being able to follow my shots, seems like such a weird omission.

WoolyNinja

Here it is maxed out on my 7 iron yet when I get perfect impact, I hook the ball slightly as indicated by the bottom right sway indicator.

Uh, you didn't account for the wind quite right - seemed completely fine to me? /shrug

Also this ^

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Here's my problem - this shot was 100% power with PI. The little red dot under the club is 3/4 of the way to the right. My shot landed in the rough to the left of my blue "landing dot". The wind is light enough where SOME variation + undulation was expected, but that much variance is fucking annoying. If I'm playing an arcade golf game, I want more predictability. If I want a sim, I have TGC2 installed on my PC.

s1EbFhyl.jpg

RodzTF

Goodness me, are you people blind? Do you take notice of the ball strike indicator in the bottom left of the screen?

The wind does not affect whereabouts on the ball I strike it. It shows clearly to the left of the ball.

I accounted for the light wind, I moved to the right of the hole. Yet it was the RNG BALL STRIKE that hit it so off target.

"Fake news". Jesus fucking Christ

robotrock

Banned
Is the progression really slow in this game or am I just playing it wrong? I think I've probably put in more than eight hours in this game but I just beat Rank 2 and unlocked a second golf course. I haven't messed around with any online stuff. All I've been doing are the tournaments at the desk and the VS characters when they show up.

RodzTF

I was on mobile so I didn't see the adjustment properly. I see now that you did aim a smidge to the right of the hole, but not enough, so the headwind still pushed it left. It's not like it ended up 30 feet away or something.

You continue to entirely miss the point

I was on mobile so I didn't see the adjustment properly. I see now that you did aim a smidge to the right of the hole, but not enough, so the headwind still pushed it left. It's not like it ended up 30 feet away or something.
The ball went left right when he hit it. The wind usually affects the ball mid flight, not at contact.

Petrae

Here's my problem - this shot was 100% power with PI. The little red dot under the club is 3/4 of the way to the right. My shot landed in the rough to the left of my blue "landing dot". The wind is light enough where SOME variation + undulation was expected, but that much variance is fucking annoying. If I'm playing an arcade golf game, I want more predictability. If I want a sim, I have TGC2 installed on my PC.

s1EbFhyl.jpg

The fact that the game penalizes (maybe) players despite perfect impact off of the tee is a major flaw. Perfect impact should be just that-- none of this random occurrence bullshit.

Choosing to play shots with backspin shouldn't by subject to an RNG penalty, either. If Clap Hanz was worried about overuse of backspin, a limiter (i.e. limited power shots before higher risk) should have been used.

It's seriously annoying to hit a shot with perfect impact only for the game to randomly decide to penalize you because reasons. That's what penalties for early/late impact are for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Goodness me, are you people blind? Do you take notice of the ball strike indicator in the bottom left of the screen?

The wind does not affect whereabouts on the ball I strike it. It shows clearly to the left of the ball.

I accounted for the light wind, I moved to the right of the hole. Yet it was the RNG BALL STRIKE that hit it so off target.

"Fake news". Jesus fucking Christ

But the ball landed roughly where you’d expect given a perfect strike and the wind.

Maybe the indicator has some RNG but the control on your club prevents that from carrying through to the actual ball flight?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the progression really slow in this game or am I just playing it wrong? I think I've probably put in more than eight hours in this game but I just beat Rank 2 and unlocked a second golf course. I haven't messed around with any online stuff. All I've been doing are the tournaments at the desk and the VS characters when they show up.

You should level up quicker than that. For at least the first three ranks, you should be able to unlock a Vs character for every 18 holes you play in ‘serious mode’ (press square on the course select to choose serious which gives you more XP and coins for a win). so eg if it was 1000 XP to level up, a 9 hole serious round will give you 500XP for a win, so 2x9 hole rounds, or 1x18 hole round should be enough.

3 Vs characters will rank you up.

I just hit rank 4 and that’s the first time I’ve seen it need more than that to level up. Seems more like around 27 holes per Vs character.

bobohoro

The argument about impact-sway on PI is becoming somewhat silly.
There is definitely a push/pull happening, rather frequently with varying severity. There is enough video and anecdotal evidence out there. It can deny you hole-outs, it can lead to OB/water balls on tight spots or bring trees into play when trying to cut corners. It is a different discussion if you care about this randomness in your gameplay or not, but denying this element and calling posters out about a gameplay change they are unhappy with is pretty annoying.

Personally I'd rather they hadn't made greens and putting stupid easy, kept the old risk/reward balance of making longer clubs more difficult to hit and designed more crazy courses that challenged your creaitivty instead of adding some uncontrollable random element to even the playing field and keep scores (somewhat unsuccessfully) low.

RodzTF

But the ball landed roughly where you’d expect given a perfect strike and the wind.

Maybe the indicator has some RNG but the control on your club prevents that from carrying through to the actual ball flight?

Who knows. It's just too unpredictable

Like Nicoga said, I want an arcade golf game to be predictable, as in when I hit a perfect impact, it carries out the shot I planned, like previous games in the series. The Everybody's Golf games have always been mega easy, so it seems Clap Hanz threw this mechanic in here to add some artificial random ass difficulty

Then, we have The Golf Club, a hardcore sim where you rightly so get penalised for your swing movements

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I've enever played a game like this. About to do my first Vs and had to do some other stuff but I love it so far. I've been craving a light and relaxing game like this.

Dumb question: I vaguely know that the game has a few other mechanics (backspin and tapping a different button to adjust power on the fly for example) but I don't know how to use them. I assume the game is gonna roll that stuff out in tutorial text before I need to k ow it right?

As for RNG stuff, I obviously have no opinion but just starting out with games like these the visual cues for the POI are confusing. Maybe instead of a big yellow arrow it would be more honest and accurate to show a circle where it might land. Then, as you level up it gets smaller.

I dunno. It's fun though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Who knows. It's just too unpredictable

Like Nicoga said, I want an arcade golf game to be predictable, as in when I hit a perfect impact, it carries out the shot I planned, like previous games in the series. The Everybody's Golf games have always been mega easy, so it seems Clap Hanz threw this mechanic in here to add some artificial random ass difficulty

Then, we have The Golf Club, a hardcore sim where you rightly so get penalised for your swing movements

Yeah, the RNG is just annoying.

And look - any of us who are decent at the game will still shoot -12 or better on 18 despite the RNG shit. But when it does go south, it just pees in your cereal a bit, you know? I would be fine with a LITTLE variation, but in it's current state, it's just a bit too much.

krae_man

Has anyone gone hardcore into the the fishing?

What do the lines with ??? Mean? Is that a super rare fish? Or is it a fish that isn't unlocked yet and I need to reach a higher fishing level first?

Hit Rank 6. Not sure exactly what it is, but this is the first Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots game that has failed to hook me.

I feel like the randomness in everything (Random tournaments, random created characters, etc) don't really give me that much motivation to keep playing and unlocking things.

The golfing is fine, the courses are fine, but I don't know what it is about it. It just feels like this game is missing a soul to be honest.

The randomized impact definitely sucks, and can have a huge uh impact on your play. I sat down with my wife to play this one time and she got fucked by it and was very annoyed. And she wasn't back spinning yet either.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What is the button sequence to hook the ball a little
Left or right?

The direction you hold indicates the direction you push the ball out. So if you hold right, the ball pushes out right and pulls back to the left. So if you're talking right handed, holding right is the equivalent of a hook and left is a slice.

The randomized impact definitely sucks, and can have a huge uh impact on your play. I sat down with my wife to play this one time and she got fucked by it and was very annoyed. And she wasn't back spinning yet either.

I can only assume they're going to dial this down a bit later. It's SO extreme that it's almost silly at times.

purbeast

This game is so damn frustrating. Look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ux2BVVClY

Look at where I am lined up. keep in mind I'm also using pinhole clubs that add 5 to control.

I hit PI and it just completely pulls it and look where it hits on the club - the tip of the club.

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN? WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

This is completely idiotic. This caused me to get a bogey and double bogey on 2 other holes because I hit it out of bounds with PI. just makes no sense and I hope they patch this otherwise I won't be playing this game very long.

Top Bottom