• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

The argument about impact-sway on PI is becoming somewhat silly.
There is definitely a push/pull happening, rather frequently with varying severity. There is enough video and anecdotal evidence out there. It can deny you hole-outs, it can lead to OB/water balls on tight spots or bring trees into play when trying to cut corners. It is a different discussion if you care about this randomness in your gameplay or not, but denying this element and calling posters out about a gameplay change they are unhappy with is pretty annoying.

Personally I'd rather they hadn't made greens and putting stupid easy, kept the old risk/reward balance of making longer clubs more difficult to hit and designed more crazy courses that challenged your creaitivty instead of adding some uncontrollable random element to even the playing field and keep scores (somewhat unsuccessfully) low.

Pretty much. Its obvious to anyone that has played the series for a long time. Don't get me wrong I still absolutely love the damn game but I really hope they patch this up a bit.

surrogate

How is the local multiplayer? Probably no chance you can do non-splitscreen pass the controller style?

Edit: Ah! Someone answered this on the first page with a "yes" so it's a buy for me.

The stats in local multiplayer are severely bugged. It adds the values of the preset (High/Mid/Low) you select to your stats from single player. So if your 1W in single player is 25/9/10/5, it will be 50/24/25/15 in local multiplayer even though it won't actually show you that. You can tell by seeing your longest distance continually grow in LMP on all the preset settings as you level up your driver in single player.

The stats in local multiplayer are severely bugged. It adds the values of the preset (High/Mid/Low) you select to your stats from single player. So if your 1W in single player is 25/9/10/5, it will be 50/24/25/15 in local multiplayer even though it won't actually show you that. You can tell by seeing your longest distance continually grow in LMP on all the preset settings as you level up your driver in single player.

Yeah I noticed that picked "Mid" for local multiplayer and, Jfc, could drive 364 yards.

I wonder if Ultra Spin is going to allow me to do the insane sidespin shots I loved doing back in previous HSG games.

Still miss having golfers with attributes like being strong or weak in the rough, or weak in rain.

surrogate

Yeah I noticed that picked "Mid" for local multiplayer and, Jfc, could drive 364 yards.

It has totally screwed up the game for me, as local MP is the primary reason I play it. I've been grinding away to level up every club fully so I can have a balanced set of clubs and use the My Data option until they fix it.

8byte

Banned
People are blowing the RNG out of proportion. If you're shot depends on the RNG, you're not shooting smart. It hasn't hurt my game, because I'm not trying to make right do or die shots.

Like "real life"...shit happens.

TFGB

So I kinda fished up every fish and am still missing 4 in terms of salt(?) water types. Looked again in the Beach and Links level, but nothing. Weird.

Probably a silly question, but have you fished at the saltwater spot in the home area? I completed my fish encylopaedia by systematically visiting all 3 fishing spots at every course.

Thank god for my Hori Turbo Pad. Sod hammering the X button all those times!

23qwerty

People are blowing the RNG out of proportion. If you're shot depends on the RNG, you're not shooting smart. It hasn't hurt my game, because I'm not trying to make right do or die shots.

If you ALMOST get a perfect impact your shot probably shouldn't veer way off to the right and land in the water because of RNG

sphinx

the piano man
If you ALMOST get a perfect impact your shot probably shouldn't veer way off to the right and land in the water because of RNG

"almost"?

I've gotten perfect distances, perfect impacts with 0.2 winds with clear, big, wide, open, straight, flat fairways and the ball heads straight to the water or bunker from the get go.

I want to think that's because my "control" stat is low and that will stop happening as I approach max stat there.

DrDamn

Does anyone know how to use the Landing Point Cam?

It's not a misleading name. The use of this camera is that it gives you a view of your landing point looking towards the hole. This is really useful for checking obstructions from where you are projected to land. You can even treat it like you were about to take your next shot from there if you keep L2 held down and then press up and triangle you'll get a good view towards the hole. Try it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The out of bounds area on the beach course is bullshit. Several times I'm in what would be rough, or I roll onto a path and it’s OB. Sod that.

Edit : 3 double bogeys and 2 bogeys on a 9 hole course and I still won - Hongua took 12 at the 8th

Spacedeck

Neo Member
It's not a misleading name. The use of this camera is that it gives you a view of your landing point looking towards the hole. This is really useful for checking obstructions from where you are projected to land. You can even treat it like you were about to take your next shot from there if you keep L2 held down and then press up and triangle you'll get a good view towards the hole. Try it.

I was using this cam while playing today. I also found it useful because it quickly shows the remaining distance to the hole, so I can play with a particular club on approach.

Auctopus

Unlocked Alpina Forest after switching to Serious Mode and playing a little more.

Damn, that music and Hole 4 on the 9 IN. Makes me really wish you could turn off the putting music, really relaxing course.

RodzTF

Unlocked Alpina Forest after switching to Serious Mode and playing a little more.

Damn, that music and Hole 4 on the 9 IN. Makes me really wish you could turn off the putting music, really relaxing course.

My favourite course by far because of the music

Can't go a play session without at least nine holes at Alpina

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but is there a way to get the EG5 style of shot with the rings instead of the bar at the bottom of the screen? I found that much easier to play with.

bobohoro

Probably a silly question, but have you fished at the saltwater spot in the home area? I completed my fish encylopaedia by systematically visiting all 3 fishing spots at every course.

Thank god for my Hori Turbo Pad. Sod hammering the X button all those times!

Was my first thought as well, but nope.

If you could help me, I'm missing the fishes with the ID 34, 36, 42 and 48 (I think).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The direction you hold indicates the direction you push the ball out. So if you hold right, the ball pushes out right and pulls back to the left. So if you're talking right handed, holding right is the equivalent of a hook and left is a slice.

I can only assume they're going to dial this down a bit later. It's SO extreme that it's almost silly at times.

Hey now, it's not hook and slice. It's draw and fade!

A hook is when the ball moves right to left and a slice is when it moves left to right. A draw is when the ball moves right to left and a fade is when the ball moves left to right.

Yes, those are the same thing. The difference is that a draw and fade is intentional and hitting hooks and slices is a swing defect that will make you quit golf in frustration. (lol)

You don't have to hold down L2 to look around from the landing point. You can just click L2 once.

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but is there a way to get the EG5 style of shot with the rings instead of the bar at the bottom of the screen? I found that much easier to play with.
Unfortunately, no.

njs15

Finished upgrading my first custom set and came up short of 350 (which i think is around what you need to condor alpina 12).

Recycled and my first two upgrades only yielded +1s. I really hope I don't have to go through the upgrade process three times

Just turn music off altogether. Alpina and Green's music tracks are intolerable (even if Green's is a bit nostalgic). The beach music, though, I love.

kenta

Has no PEINS

my shot doesn't depend on RNG, are you being willfully obtuse? The complaint is that your shot is lined up perfectly, you've compensated for wind and lie, got a perfect impact and the ball immediately veers off through no fault of your own. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal but sometimes you end up out of bounds, particularly if you're playing one of those stupid holes in Vortex Valley that's like trying to land a golf ball on top of a basketball. The point is that it undercuts your actual skill level. Telling someone that they can minimize this by putting 20 or 30 hours into the game and leveling up their character isn't an okay answer either

Heel

my shot doesn't depend on RNG, are you being willfully obtuse? The complaint is that your shot is lined up perfectly, you've compensated for wind and lie, got a perfect impact and the ball immediately veers off through no fault of your own. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal but sometimes you end up out of bounds, particularly if you're playing one of those stupid holes in Vortex Valley that's like trying to land a golf ball on top of a basketball. The point is that it undercuts your actual skill level. Telling someone that they can minimize this by putting 20 or 30 hours into the game and leveling up their character isn't an okay answer either

There are plenty of opportunities to lay up on Vortex Valley instead of pushing your luck by hitting driver every time. Consider going down a club instead of attacking with a shot that has to land on top of a basketball. Your reward often adds up to...what? Taking a club off your next shot? It's a part of golf that you have to consider.

I'm with 8byte on this completely.

If you hit the ball off a tee with a 7 iron (like the video on the other page) it's going to move in the air. It may be an "arcade" golf game but it is consistent and says it in the loading screens, irons have more immediate lift with more natural spin so the ball is affected more by the wind.

sphinx

the piano man
one thing I noticed today regarding RNG,

using the power clubs, those that give you the most power but zero control, they'll screw you up. those are the ones that send the ball to hell after doing everything perfect.

I changed to either infinite or control clubs and damn, the game is way more enjoyable, I'll gladly trade some yards for reliablity.

no use having that awesome drive when the game will send the ball to water and bunkers most of the time

kenta

Has no PEINS
There are plenty of opportunities to lay up on Vortex Valley instead of pushing your luck by hitting driver every time. Consider going down a club instead of attacking with a shot that has to land on top of a basketball. Your reward often adds up to...what? Taking a club off your next shot? It's a part of golf that you have to consider.

I'm with 8byte on this completely.
who said anything about it being a driver, it happens no matter what club you use. That's the whole freaking point of what I'm saying. Even if you do everything right, even if you club down and try to compensate for everything you can, the RNG can still pop out and screw you over through no fault of your own. In my mind, that's bogus. Kudos to you for finding fun in it, I guess

Saying it pops out reminds me of "Toasty!" from Mortal Kombat and honestly if the game actually had that image and sound effect when it decided to dick with you, it might make me totally cool with it. Patch plz

bosh

who said anything about it being a driver, it happens no matter what club you use. That's the whole freaking point of what I'm saying. Even if you do everything right, even if you club down and try to compensate for everything you can, the RNG can still pop out and screw you over through no fault of your own. In my mind, that's bogus. Kudos to you for finding fun in it, I guess

Saying it pops out reminds me of "Toasty!" from Mortal Kombat and honestly if the game actually had that image and sound effect when it decided to dick with you, it might make me totally cool with it. Patch plz

Is there a little rng, yah. Does it really impact a good shot from a bad shot, I have not seen it while playing. If it's in the red it's a bad shot, if it's perfect or near perfect it's a good shot. No perfect has sent me into the water on holes with no wind like people talk about above.

Hell real golf has rng sometimes also...

I forgot the exact line from the Rank 6 quiz, but it was something along the lines of backspin influencing the amount of control a shot had. So I wonder if using backspin increases the chance of a bizarre shot.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Is there a little rng, yah. Does it really impact a good shot from a bad shot, I have not seen it while playing. If it's in the red it's a bad shot, if it's perfect or near perfect it's a good shot. No perfect has sent me into the water on holes with no wind like people talk about above.

Hell real golf has rng sometimes also...
i feel like I'm suddenly speaking another language without realizing it; I specifically said perfect impact, never said anything about red. Hitting a rabbit or a turtle will of course throw the ball off target, that's how it's supposed to work and nobody expects otherwise. Would anyone else like to make a counterpoint to an argument I'm not actually making?

Thing is, I'm not opposed to RNG completely. It doesn't have to be mathematical and sterile, I get that there needs to be an element of guesswork and risk. But to make it so that a perfect impact still has a non-insignificant chance of making contact on the far extremes of the club face is pretty silly

Heel

i feel like I'm suddenly speaking another language without realizing it; I specifically said perfect impact, never said anything about red. Hitting a rabbit or a turtle will of course throw the ball off target, that's how it's supposed to work and nobody expects otherwise. Would anyone else like to make a counterpoint to an argument I'm not actually making?

Thing is, I'm not opposed to RNG completely. It doesn't have to be mathematical and sterile, I get that there needs to be an element of guesswork and risk. But to make it so that a perfect impact still has a non-insignificant chance of making contact on the far extremes of the club face is pretty silly

I've yet to encounter a situation where a perfect or pink impact put me out of bounds unless I'm attacking a pin next to water. That's an accepted risk in my mind, because you can play more conservatively and shoot for a fatter part of the green instead of trying to put it in the hole on every shot.

People keep talking like the potential sway is akin to a dramatic mishit. I don't really see it that way.

I forgot the exact line from the Rank 6 quiz, but it was something along the lines of backspin influencing the amount of control a shot had. So I wonder if using backspin increases the chance of a bizarre shot.
That's what it says. Specifically backspin not side or top spin .
I was a bit of a backspin addict but backing off on that has improved my GIR and got me a S rank in a daily bonus course.

That's what it says. Specifically backspin not side or top spin .
I was a bit of a backspin addict but backing off on that has improved my GIR and got me a S rank in a daily bonus course.

I guess their intention was that this was going to be most people's first game in the series, but it's bizarre how they hold back on that tidbit (as well as unlocking Ultra Spin) until you hit Rank 6.

Like you I always used backspin when I could, but after all this time the game's like "Yeah, you really shouldn't do that anymore."

8byte

Banned

You're also not listening to what anyone is saying, though. We're understanding what you said, and we've brought up points that you're not acknowledging.

You're playing aggressively. The RNG doesn't send your ball 30 feet in either direction (I mean, wind obviously impacts how significant the RNG impacts your shot, but on it's own it isn't insane).

Yes, it will alter the line of your shot, but no, it won't throw your shot completely off course. Almost every hole has risky spots, especially when you're considering drops or increases in elevation, weather, etc.

We're just saying that it's not so significant that it's making easy shots impossible, and it doesn't make risky shots "impossible". It just makes them actually risky. I just don't think the game would be very fun if it were just mathematically perfect. Not only that, but the RNG tends to make for closer competition.

I get what you're saying, and I can understand that it can be frustrating to have everything lined up for a risky shot, but where is the risk if you can simply get perfect execution and eliminate it entirely? There has to be some give, otherwise it's just sterile, as you said.

You're also not listening to what anyone is saying, though. We're understanding what you said, and we've brought up points that you're not acknowledging.

You're playing aggressively. The RNG doesn't send your ball 30 feet in either direction (I mean, wind obviously impacts how significant the RNG impacts your shot, but on it's own it isn't insane).

Yes, it will alter the line of your shot, but no, it won't throw your shot completely off course. Almost every hole has risky spots, especially when you're considering drops or increases in elevation, weather, etc.

We're just saying that it's not so significant that it's making easy shots impossible, and it doesn't make risky shots "impossible". It just makes them actually risky. I just don't think the game would be very fun if it were just mathematically perfect. Not only that, but the RNG tends to make for closer competition.

I get what you're saying, and I can understand that it can be frustrating to have everything lined up for a risky shot, but where is the risk if you can simply get perfect execution and eliminate it entirely? There has to be some give, otherwise it's just sterile, as you said.

There is no "simple perfect execution" unless your PI percentage is 100%. All the other games balanced power with impact forgiveness. On WI for example if you used Max with Big Air clubs and ball when hitting driver you either got perfect impact or you were in the red on both sides. There was no pink (slightly miss) zone. This is the balance that I miss. When you were lining up a risky shot in that game you knew that if you missed the line it would be big trouble and if not you would be rewarded assuming you factored everything else right. When lining up a risky shot in this game I don't feel nervous or anticipate the result because I'm only partially responsible for the eventual outcome.

it's insane to me that anyone would argue that if you hit a shot perfectly (even if it's risky) after taking into account wind, lie, weather, height, etc., that there should still be some random thing that pushes your ball away from the hole. like i understand laying up is the "smart call" but every game in this series has rewarded players for playing aggressive if they had the skill to do it. that's always been the skill of the series. the penalty for not hitting perfect impact on shots like that were severe.

krae_man

What's a good power level with the custom clubs going for a Condor?

I've upgraded my club 10 times and it's level 17 and I can do 358 yards with a power shot.

Will I have enough distance with the 11th upgrade?

What's a good power level with the custom clubs going for a Condor?

I've upgraded my club 10 times and it's level 17 and I can do 358 yards with a power shot.

Will I have enough distance with the 11th upgrade?

My first set only went 354 powered up and I lipped a few out. You can make it there already.

krae_man

How is the frame rate in online mode? I tried it for the first time today and the fps tanked to about 15 fps avg.

Shot bar seems okay. The rest chugs like a mother fucker unless you get a low populated course like the second DSC Course. When I did the 9 holes yesterday only 15 people had done it.

TFGB

Was my first thought as well, but nope.

If you could help me, I'm missing the fishes with the ID 34, 36, 42 and 48 (I think).

No worries.

ID 34: Skipjack Tuna - Imperial Garden
ID 36: Cod - Imperial Garden
ID 42: Shark - Imperial Garden (this is the hardest fish to catch out of all)
ID 48: Scissortail Sergeant - Imperial Garden.

I think you've missed Imperial Garden 9 OUT FISHING SPOT 3, which is at the far end of the course by Hole 3, as all those fish can be caught there.

Good luck!

505zoom

it's insane to me that anyone would argue that if you hit a shot perfectly (even if it's risky) after taking into account wind, lie, weather, height, etc., that there should still be some random thing that pushes your ball away from the hole. like i understand laying up is the "smart call" but every game in this series has rewarded players for playing aggressive if they had the skill to do it. that's always been the skill of the series. the penalty for not hitting perfect impact on shots like that were severe.

This guy gets it. The risk was always about getting PI or not. If you were taking a risky shot and missed PI you got hosed. Now you can pull it off and sometimes still get hosed. I'd be okay with it if it was minimized after maxing out control on a given club, but that is definitely not the case.

Top Bottom